• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl+ renamed to brawl: insert idea here?

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
It's not going to be changed. People have already accepted the name. Brawl+ sounds kind of arrogant. Probably should have chosen a different name initially, but it's too late now.
I agree with this.

Pierce7d, not to go too far off topic, but by "I don't play Brawl+. I don't like Brawl+" you meant "I tried Brawl+, but didn't like it, so I won't continue to play it," right? Because that's totally respectable.

For a second there I almost thought you'd decided to not like it / never play it without actually trying it.

But your points about the name being easy and popular are very true.
I very much agree with this.

so this is offtopic, but only slightly.

"Screw that, I want fun speed activate!"

Seriously, what the hell?

cAm8ooo

Smash Lord
I believe that saying originated from Mookierah. When there was several codesets being produced by different people and new ones being released (including codesets from Mookie himself) some were slower then others and were more conservative. Thats when Mookie made that statement.

That was forever tho ago, so i might be wrong on a detail or two but i believe that was when that saying originated. What exactly do you not like from it?

Also. To everyone saying that "brawl+" is an arrogant name. It's only arrogant to those who want to see it that way and try to see the community as elitist and quite frankly their gonna think this no matter what name the project is given. Brawl+ is brawl + modifications. Vbrawl is vanilla brawl. I think vanilla is a term used for the orginal or "non hacked" version of something. There's no problem with it.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Perhaps if you can point out what of it you don't like.....
I don't know, it's just weird I suppose. I have trouble figuring out how it sounds in my head :p

Like is it:

"Fun! Speed! ACTIVATE!"

Or is it "fun? speed? activate!"

or perhaps "funspeed, activate."

It's an alright slogan I guess. It sums up what Brawl+ is about...kind of. I think there could be a better way to do it though, something that would make people that don't know anything about Brawl+ understand that it's more than just turning brawl into "fun speed"
ok. I think Brawl+ is a good name, and quite frankly I can't think of a better one right now.

But when I say to people "hey have you heard of Brawl+?" I can't help but feel like I'm sounding a little elitist.

"Modded Brawl" doesn't give off that feeling at all.

IC3R

Smash Lord
I straight up tell people that Brawl+ is more fun than vBrawl......Srsly......

Yeah, I have no clue what the whole "Fun Speed Activate" is all about, but it makes sense when you actually play Brawl+.

It's fun. It's fast. It's furious. It's good stuff. Every character is playable in a tournament. Who wouldn't want that? (Besides people who'd rather play Melee)

If you are speaking to someone who mains a ****ty character in vBrawl, and he/she is either A) tired of losing, or B) tired of picking Metaknight as CP, introduce the +. All of a sudden, Craptain Failcon turns into Rapetain Funcon (lolwut?)! Ganondork transforms into GANON THE ALMIGHTY KING OF EVIL!!!!!!

Eh? EH?

BEES

Smash Lord
The categories of people that play Brawl+

-Peoplesonic fans who played Melee and still play Melee and like it, but also want to use a Brawl charactersonic in a good gamegame where sonic doesn't suck.
-People who played Melee and still play Melee and like it, but just want a new game that doesn't suck so they have something to look forward to. (I think this is most of us right here. My group usually has a several-hour session where we play Melee a bit and Brawl+ a bit).
-People who were turned off by Melee, presumably because of the technical barrier/intensely competitive nature of the community, but who still felt Brawl needed refinement.
-People who got tired of Melee after several years, but didn't like the gameplay of Brawl.
-People who preferred 64 to both other games who want something to look forward to.

V-K

Smash Ace
Brawl+ is fine.
It´s just a gameplay expansion not a second Brawl Game.

I don´t want to say: "Hey, let´s play Super Smash Bros Brawl Hyper Fighting Turbo Tournament Edition Remix!!"

And a good thing is that "Brawl+" is only one word so you won´t find anything different on youtube or google.

Frozt

Smash Apprentice

-Peoplesonic fans who played Melee and still play Melee and like it, but also want to use a Brawl charactersonic in a good gamegame where sonic doesn't suck.
-People who played Melee and still play Melee and like it, but just want a new game that doesn't suck so they have something to look forward to. (I think this is most of us right here. My group usually has a several-hour session where we play Melee a bit and Brawl+ a bit).
-People who were turned off by Melee, presumably because of the technical barrier/intensely competitive nature of the community, but who still felt Brawl needed refinement.
-People who got tired of Melee after several years, but didn't like the gameplay of Brawl.
-People who preferred 64 to both other games who want something to look forward to.
I fall in the last category

Dantarion

Smash Champion
Brawl+ is fine. People are just starting to understand the "What is Brawl+" thing, and now is not the time to provide confusion about what Brawl+ is.

What I DO think is needed is to have all videos on youtube to specify the Brawl+ version used in the title.
As in, we need to contact people who have videos uploaded of really old versions of Brawl+ and ask them to put a version number.

jalued

Smash Lord
yeah i guess it is too late to change it now, kind of a shame really. but aw well lol. haha and yeah ur right about the search engines:p it doesnt work at all haha

Roxas215

Smash Lord
There is no reason to change the name. The project is way to far. People have already stated they expect a final codeset at the very latest in 2 months. Changing the name now is just dumb. People who don't play the game because they feel it's melee is fine. We need to convince them it's not trying to be melee 2.0 and try to get them to give brawl+ a chance. People who don't play the game because they don't like the name?? Well who cares.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh

This needs to go somewhere that people who are just learning about Brawl+ can see it. Seriously.

Well maybe exclude the Sonic part.

I fall in the last category
I know right?! 64 is so amazing!

Sukai

Smash Champion

-People who got sick and tired of putting up with Brawl's bull**** and decided to see have fun in contrast to trying to deal with a planking Meta Knight.
That last one is all me.
I still play normal Brawl competitively though, but Brawl+ is such a delicious change in pace.

Foresight

Smash Rookie
TLDR version why we shouldn't change the name:

It will inconvenience those that already play it and won't convert anyone who has already decided not to play it. Nobody wins.

Also, like was mentioned before, you can refer to characters and strategies specific to Brawl+ by just tacking a "+" sign to the end of it. It's super convenient and less confusing this way.

Example: "Anyone got any good combos for Ganon+?"

Rkey

Smash Journeyman
Ok, so we need something that's easy to say, has an easy way of saying for example "Ganon+", and which has a nice acronym. It should also in some way incorporate the fact that Brawl+ is a hacked version of brawl aiming for a more competetive game. An example would be BrawlX, but not sure how good that is XD It would allow you to write things as "ganonX though", but my idea is:

Will edit when I have one ^_^

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
Maybe think we need a Melee 2.0 codeset and a Brawl+ codeset

If a Melee 2.0 codeset exists people wouldn't confuse it with Brawl+ Codeset

VietGeek

Smash Hero

Yeah, I have no clue what the whole "Fun Speed Activate" is all about, but it makes sense when you actually play Brawl+.p
The entire motto is quote by quote something MookieRah said just for the hell of it back when the project was smaller. At least that's the first time I say it. o_O

miichoins

Smash Rookie
Link`s arrows = normal; 1 second of charge = fire effect; 2 second of charge = ice effect (paralize for a few seconds or relation at charge time. It`s clear?)

sorry my inglish..

GuruKid

Smash Ace
A new, different name?

... Super Smash Bros Plus?

Honestly, Brawl+ sounds just fine for me. A name change won't exactly prevent people from still making the ignorant assumption that it's Melee 2.0; just putting the game more "out there" (via tournaments, videos and such) will help remove the stigma.

C.Olimar788

Smash Ace
After trying to convince alot of people who are against brawl+ from the start (its great fun btw, go to AIB chat and try and convince them :p) it becomes clear that the name "brawl+" is leaving a rather bad impression on the community. To me the plus just makes it sound arrogant and cocky, as though anyone who plays normal brawl is a ****** and should see the light. but thats not what brawl+ is about...
I would just like to say that this is the exact reason why I dislike Brawl+ (well, besides the fact that I could care less about the things it changes). It's less the name than the whole "normal Brawl isn't Brawl anymore it's 'Vanilla Brawl'" thing that annoys me, though.

And I like the idea of Super Smash Bros. Brawl: Reload, myself.

...why am I participating in this poll, I hate Brawl+.

cAm8ooo

Smash Lord
You dont understand the origins of the names so you like to assume that it is arrogant when in reality it was never created that way.

Brawl+= brawl PLUS modifications

Vanilla brawl= normal brawl. Vanilla is a term in hacking to describe the original or non-modified version of something

So when you look at why the names were created you can see that it is not arrogant what so ever.

C.Olimar788

Smash Ace
You dont understand the origins of the names so you like to assume that it is arrogant when in reality it was never created that way.

Brawl+= brawl PLUS modifications

Vanilla brawl= normal brawl. Vanilla is a term in hacking to describe the original or non-modified version of something

So when you look at why the names were created you can see that it is not arrogant what so ever.
I don't see why Brawl can't just be, y'know, BRAWL, that's all. And quite frankly, plenty of people DO take the elitist attitude of Brawl being a sucky game and Brawl+ being soooooo much better. What else is one to assume?

I'm glad that the idea of "Vanilla Brawl" actually has some reason to it, though. Thanks for that info.

cAm8ooo

Smash Lord
Your welcome about the info

Also... most people dont take an elitist attitude. Atleast, not most of the people actually working on the project. But i would like to point out that there is LOTS of regular brawl players who are elitist and come into our threads saying brawl+ sucks and share the same attitude that you hate. There are elitist in everything that is opinionated, but just because this is so doesnt mean you should hate the whole community because of a small group of people whose actions and thoughts dont reflect the majority of brawl+ people.

Also, i suggest that you try brawl+ just to see if you like it. It never hurts to try, and if you dont like it then you can always play regular brawl or heck just play both.

IC3R

Smash Lord
I don't see why Brawl can't just be, y'know, BRAWL, that's all. And quite frankly, plenty of people DO take the elitist attitude of Brawl being a sucky game and Brawl+ being soooooo much better. What else is one to assume?
It depends on what one means by "better"...

I think Brawl+ is better than vBrawl for my own personal reasons:
  1. Physics Engine -- This is the basic cause behind a lot of the cast's improvement and game enjoyability; In vBrawl, it took me forever to get back to the ground, especially since I use a lot floaty characters. Now it's not so hard for me due to increased universal gravity. I also got tired of whiffing a laggy aerial with Ganon, only to get Smashed offstage and gimped thanks to my horrible recovery (ASL didn't save me at all); thanks to the universal ALR (even though Ganon's is slighty more), I don't have to worry about it all that much.
  2. Combos/Hitstun -- I main Kirby, who is a very combolicious character. Most of the stuff I could only pull off every once in a while in vBrawl, I can now do almost consistently in Brawl+. Actually, almost all of the things I used to do every now and then I now do all the time;
  3. Play Speed -- While I don't play the fastest characters (Kirby, Zelda, ROB, Ganon, etc.), the overall play speed is just so much more appealing to me. And this is all thanks to the Physics Engine. I remember playing vBrawl at a friend's house about 2 weeks ago, and I was actually getting frustrated! I couldn't do what I wanted, when I wanted; and what I wanted was to combo the hell out of my buddies, as quickly and brutally as possible (no offense, <3 you guys, no homo);
  4. Everybody is playable -- Remember how trashy Jigglypuff is in vBrawl? That idea is no more. My brother thirds Jigglypuff, and he absolutely loves how much she has improved. I used Link for lulz, like for when I had nothing better to do; now he's probably my tenth-most-played character (lolwut);
  5. It's more fun for me -- An opinion, nothing more. I simply enjoy Brawl+ much more than the original, and much more than Melee as well.

These are just some things I could think of immediately...

But really, it's just an opinion. If those people want to be elitists, let them. They're just being overly competitive. And seriously, I haven't seen any Brawl+ elitists that are actually involved in the project (and even then, I've seen random Melee elitists on Youtube).

All of the people I know that play Brawl, I simply suggest they play Brawl+, just try it out. If they like it, they'll stick with it. If they don't, they won't.

It's that simple. I, personally, do not like playing vBrawl anymore, but I don't like playing Melee either (WAAAAAY too much technical skill involved for me). This is like a happy combination of the two, and that's perfectly fine with me. May Roy make his righteous return in the future...

And there's nothing wrong with playing all four Smash games, it's just all preference.

GigaBowserXyZ

Smash Journeyman
It depends on what one means by "better"...

I think Brawl+ is better than vBrawl for my own personal reasons:
  1. Physics Engine -- This is the basic cause behind a lot of the cast's improvement and game enjoyability; In vBrawl, it took me forever to get back to the ground, especially since I use a lot floaty characters. Now it's not so hard for me due to increased universal gravity. I also got tired of whiffing a laggy aerial with Ganon, only to get Smashed offstage and gimped thanks to my horrible recovery (ASL didn't save me at all); thanks to the universal ALR (even though Ganon's is slighty more), I don't have to worry about it all that much.
  2. Combos/Hitstun -- I main Kirby, who is a very combolicious character. Most of the stuff I could only pull off every once in a while in vBrawl, I can now do almost consistently in Brawl+. Actually, almost all of the things I used to do every now and then I now do all the time;
  3. Play Speed -- While I don't play the fastest characters (Kirby, Zelda, ROB, Ganon, etc.), the overall play speed is just so much more appealing to me. And this is all thanks to the Physics Engine. I remember playing vBrawl at a friend's house about 2 weeks ago, and I was actually getting frustrated! I couldn't do what I wanted, when I wanted; and what I wanted was to combo the hell out of my buddies, as quickly and brutally as possible (no offense, <3 you guys, no homo);
  4. Everybody is playable -- Remember how trashy Jigglypuff is in vBrawl? That idea is no more. My brother thirds Jigglypuff, and he absolutely loves how much she has improved. I used Link for lulz, like for when I had nothing better to do; now he's probably my tenth-most-played character (lolwut);
  5. It's more fun for me -- An opinion, nothing more. I simply enjoy Brawl+ much more than the original, and much more than Melee as well.

These are just some things I could think of immediately...

But really, it's just an opinion. If those people want to be elitists, let them. They're just being overly competitive. And seriously, I haven't seen any Brawl+ elitists that are actually involved in the project (and even then, I've seen random Melee elitists on Youtube).

All of the people I know that play Brawl, I simply suggest they play Brawl+, just try it out. If they like it, they'll stick with it. If they don't, they won't.

It's that simple. I, personally, do not like playing vBrawl anymore, but I don't like playing Melee either (WAAAAAY too much technical skill involved for me). This is like a happy combination of the two, and that's perfectly fine with me. May Roy make his righteous return in the future...

And there's nothing wrong with playing all four Smash games, it's just all preference.
i agree with everything in this post.

As for the name I think Super Smash Bros: Remix is a suitable name.

Rkey

Smash Journeyman
Each time someone calls Brawl+ "Melee 2.0", god kills a kitten - Popular saying.

I'd change its name to Brawl: Turbo. SF references FTW!
I'm not saying it's melee 2.0, I'm saying it's brawl and melee inspired, because it still is.

Also, I'm thinking that BrawlX might be good actually. After all, it's just the + rotated 45 degrees :grin:

Sudai

Stuff here
I'm not saying it's melee 2.0, I'm saying it's brawl and melee inspired, because it still is.

Also, I'm thinking that BrawlX might be good actually. After all, it's just the + rotated 45 degrees :grin:
By that token it would be Brawlee 64 as it's inspired by all smash games, not just two of them.

After my point about the search engines was proven wrong (I never tested it, I just know that's how search engines are supposed to work [or at least used to, I'm not sure anymore. Haha.]) I don't think the name should be changed. It was really the only driving force behind it because if anyone things we're being elitist by calling it "Brawl+" we can explain it once and their qualms are gone. I think it's worth the time explaining it to a few people to be able to keep things like "Mario+". "Mario: Remix" or whatever sounds ******** and I don't feel like saying "Mario in Brawl+."

I'm pretty sure this thread won't actually get the name changed to anything either. There's been no convincing arguments yet and I doubt there will be any.

On that token..

Super Smash Bros: Brawlee 64 Hyper Turbo Remix Edition HXHD Dragon Trigger III

DKKountry

Smash Ace
Corneria... Fourth Planet of the Lylat System
I'm pretty sure "vanilla" is a metaphor used originally in sexual connotations. I could be wrong.

On topic: I don't play Brawl+, I've never had the opportunity, but how about Super Brawl Turbo: Gold Championship Edition. Just a thought.

Edit: whoops that sonuds a bit liek the above poster's suggestion. Oh well.

Top Bottom