• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl - More balanced than Melee? Lie or truth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mmac

Smash Lord
Well, I didn't say Yoshi's is THAT good. I'm taking "Poor" as in Mario or Link Poor, or Screwed if you're Olimar or Ivysaur and the opponent edgehog's Poor. Yoshi's shouldn't be in that caliber. You didn't really define "Poor"

If yoshi does so gosh darned good against metaknight, shouldn't he be winning a few large tournies?
He doesn't do so well against Falco's, ROB's or G&W's, and they're just as common as MK and Snake.

Not to mention that there's only a few people dedicated to Yoshi in the first place

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Actually, Zelda (without Sheik, believe it or not) and Luigi placed very very well when Melee's metagame was getting off of the ground. In fact, many of the unconventional characters that Melee players placed lower in rank placed extremely well during that first "real" year of competitive Melee (DK, Pikachu, ICs, Luigi, Mario, etc). When the dust cleared, however, things were much closer to how they are now in terms of character worth and tier placement.

In Brawl, however, it's pretty much the same few characters placing at the top every time and it's been that way for the past six months.

Edit: Well, Mac, it's not like Yoshi has five jumps and an Up-B that gimps/kills at low percentages. Also, he can't glide either.

Smooth Criminal
Interesting...

The narrowing down/shift of tournament characters in melee - was it linked to wavedashing?

Also, would you say the widely varied character usage in melee's early metagame was related to the lack of early competitive interest in melee a lot of long-time smash veterans have pointed out?

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Interesting...

The narrowing down/shift of tournament characters in melee - was it linked to wavedashing?

Also, would you say the widely varied character usage in melee's early metagame was related to the lack of early competitive interest in melee a lot of long-time smash veterans have pointed out?
You'll laugh when I say this, but Zelda's prominent status was linked to the "ZOMG HER FORWARD AND BACK AERIALS CAN EFFIN' KILL WHEN SWEET-SPOTTED!" Combine that with l-canceling/wavedashing and you got a recipe for juggling people until their demise. Of course, the Zelda furor died pretty **** quickly when they discovered that Sheik was the better character (time frame for that? Unknown. It could be said, however, that this was discovered pretty quickly). Luigi was put up on a pedestal for a while because of, yes, wavedashing. Luigi had an excellent wavedash and had many solid applications of it. However, once things started to pick up (ie when the veteran smashers started to get interest in the game's competitive viability) we could see an expansion of sorts happening. Now see Luigi slide down and be replaced by other characters.

So, yeah. For the latter half of your question, I'll have to say yes.

Smooth Criminal

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Well, depending on which tier of Brawl characters you are comparing, the game is really balanced or unbalanced. If you take out the sacred 7 (MK, Falco, Snake, Marth, G&W, DDD, and ROB) you will see that there are not nearly as many 7:3 matchups and hard counter matchups (if you don't factor in CF, Link, Ike, Ganon, Jiggly, or Bowser who probably won't be tournament viable either way); The leftover characters who do have quite a few 7:3 matchups also have have quite a bit of only slight advantages as well also a good amount of even matchups (MUCH more so than Meta Knight and Snake).

I don't know why it is so taboo to place everyone not in the sacred 7 into a low tier with sub tiers so tourney directors can host slightly better balanced low tier tournaments. I assume that we all can agree that Meta Knight can help place TOO MANY novice players into top 8 when said players shouldn't be there in the first place.

However, factoring everyone, Brawl is MUCH more inbalanced than Melee.

This is just my opinion.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
No matter how much we talk about balance of the 2 games, Kirby still blows chunks in Melee. T_T
Don't say that. I got put out of a Melee tourney once because I lost to a solid Kirby main :laugh:

He was just like 'Awright, time to do it Omnigamer style' took me to the Donkey Kong 64 stage, and owned my Marth.

Fawriel

Smash Master
Yoshi would be top tier if tier lists took into account a character's cuteness factor.

... and he'd be a very solid character if they hadn't nerfed the dsmash. And usmash, from what I can see. And, hell, the fsmash used to have more range, too. *sigh*
Yoshi has some good options here and there, but, like Tudor with his Samus dair combos and substage Charge Shot KOs, these are situational and won't bring him far if the opponent takes those options away from him.

However, I will have to disagree with people who consider him bottom-tier. He's too enduring and swift for that, even if he lacks the options to consistently capitalize on his strengths.

PS: About his recovery. It does get a decent distance.

However, in Brawl, there's a couple of rough levels of recovery.

1. Flying recovery. Practically ungimpable.
2. Good recovery that does the job most of the time and is very hard to gimp.
3. Any recovery that can be gimped.
4. Pre-gimped recoveries. ( Ganondorf and Link =P )

Any character who does not fall under the first two categories is at a severe disadvantage against anyone who does, unless they also happen to be ridiculously powerful. Read: Olimar.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Well, depending on which tier of Brawl characters you are comparing, the game is really balanced or unbalanced. If you take out the sacred 7 (MK, Falco, Snake, Marth, G&W, DDD, and ROB)
Marth cant win tourneys alone that rankings topic from Ankoku isn't exactly depicting the whole picture, he requires a counterpick, lol. The best example of Marth in tourneys is Inui from what I've seen, lol.

More like MK, Snake, Falco, G&W, ROB, Wario, Pit, Didy (Where's the Diddy love man) and Dedede, lol. And this is the general vibe I get from some higher ranking players, lol.

That being said, it is possible to implement characters who aren't in those top spaces as counter picks, or hell, even mains with good counter picks. Take for instance, I saw one of the higher placing guys at my last tourney counter pick Kirby when his Olimar didn't do the trick.

Samochan

Smash Master
lol, thats like an average MK player, my friend plays a 2x better MK than that, he was really predictable with his recoveries, and he just SH Fair all day long till yoshi is off the edge and then he'd Dair, i could tell that the yoshi was reading his moves very well because he was playing too predictable.
I second this. Yoshi has grab release cg... and? Any uair, fsmash and upsmash kill yoshi might get on meta are lucky shots or mindgames, without djc yoshi is not gonna hit meta all the time. And for further note, I didn't see a single reverse up b kill when yoshi was egging away, doesn't he know he has invulnerability frames on that move and could easily kill yoshi with that while blocking an egg? >_> I also saw only one tornado used, it would've been good damage builder even if not spammed. This meta definitely didn't know how to gimp yoshi's recovery (or how to effectively use mach tornado and shuttle loop at all) and was failing at predicting aerial dodges as well.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
Don't say that. I got put out of a Melee tourney once because I lost to a solid Kirby main :laugh:

He was just like 'Awright, time to do it Omnigamer style' took me to the Donkey Kong 64 stage, and owned my Marth.
Everytime I watch a video of Melee Kirby ownage, it is usually because the opponent has little experience against Kirby. Could some1 explain how Kirby wasn't at the VERY bottom of bottom tier? I've been curious.

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
Everytime I watch a video of Melee Kirby ownage, it is usually because the opponent has little experience against Kirby. Could some1 explain how Kirby wasn't at the VERY bottom of bottom tier? I've been curious.
Because Mewtwo was that much more horrible. If anybody links me to ShadowClaw, I'll kill them.

TheX0913

Smash Apprentice
Jersey City, New Jersey; Cornell at Ithaca, New Yo
I never played melee so the loss of wavedash doesn't effect me greatly. Although, I have seen the power of it in videos. Anyway, what pisses me off is that they took away the ability to combo. What the hell? This isn't a fighting game if you can't combo. And yet they still manage to have time to make zero suit samus into this overly attractive big boobed tight body woman. Its pointless and the lack of combos is making this game frustrating just a bit.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
I never played melee so the loss of wavedash doesn't effect me greatly. Although, I have seen the power of it in videos. Anyway, what pisses me off is that they took away the ability to combo. What the hell? This isn't a fighting game if you can't combo. And yet they still manage to have time to make zero suit samus into this overly attractive big boobed tight body woman. Its pointless and the lack of combos is making this game frustrating just a bit.
I'm not sure what your point is concerning balance. However, if you're looking for a place to complain, try the Brawl Complaint Thread.

Fabrian

Smash Journeyman
Hey atleast he wasn't pichu... he sucked against everyone...

Sakurai was doing crack when they were creating him... It was like he made a competition on who could make the ****tiest clone... and guess what all the clones are worse than the original but we all know who won...

Binx

Smash Master
Timmy and Tommy were telling me that Pichu was the worst in the game and Kirby was the second worst. Those were both their mains so they could have been right, obviously both very bad characters.

Fletch

Smash Master

Sakurai was doing crack when they were creating him... It was like he made a competition on who could make the ****tiest clone... and guess what all the clones are worse than the original but we all know who won...
He had some decent stuff against the Spacies... not saying he is any good, but I still think he is better than Mewtwo and maybe Kirby, they really have nothing going for them.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
It's not a real advantage.

"My character is good if the opponent has little experience and knowledge in the matchup" is not a true advantage because it'll only work on bad players. No good player will lose due to unfamiliarity with a matchup unless said matchup is pretty close to begin with.

It... is... not... an... advantage! Being a low tier character is not an advantage! Being a rarely played character is not an advantage. Being PT is not an advantage since all of his Pokémons are at best mediocre.

Armada doesn't randomly lose to bad Jigglypuffs. I'm just a lot better than him facing Jiggz. Still, he's pretty bad against Jiggz because he consistently does things one should not do against Jiggz.

Also, Meta-Knight's metagame is very developed. There are tons of Meta players. Now, if Meta's not truly good, then why is he still winning? People should have meta experience coming out of their behinds.

I see that people like Yuna wants to state that Brawl is not balanced, etc.
I provide valid arguments. You do not.

And yes.. its balance is not perfect. But it is much much better than Melee. Don't you already see it?
Provide real arguments.

There are much more characters being able to hold their own on tournaments.
O RLY? Then how come the tournament results speak against this BS?

Go to the "Best Vids of Each Character" thread so you see how far can every character go.
Yes, a few exceptional players can play relatively bad characters well. How is this different from Melee? Have you ever seen Taj play Mewtwo? Or any number of great Bowsers do the Bowsa?

Besides, that thread is full of BS. Someone nominated Nyosuke and Zentore!

There are few if not any worthless characters.
Prove it. Also, prove that there are so many abundantly worthless characters in Melee, especially in comparison to how things are in Brawl.

You stating something =/= It being a fact

And as I continue to say over and over .. don't you see how many moves were fixed so they could be usable on combat?
This equals balance how? This equals change. Just because the game is different does not mean it's more balanced. Just because more moves are usable now for returning characters does not equal balance if the changes introduce more imbalance and/or if the new characters are highly imbalanced (Meta-Knight and Snake both say "Yo").

Brawl has a supreme work on this.. Every B and A move is .if not spammable, at least useful.
O RLY? I present to you Peach's Peach Bomber. It's still pretty slow, it no longer bounces off of walls (which means certain death and/or easy edgeguarding if you accidentaly Wall Bomb a wall pretty low down) and it still doesn't have much knockback. It semi-spikes sometimes, but that's not much when you barely fly off anywhere without DI at 120%.

Ike's and DeDeDe's Fsmashes say "Hi". You'll almost never hit anyone even semi-good with them, ever. Unless, of course, they trip into it or suffer random bouts of stupidity. Sheik's Dair says "Hi". Captain Falcon's Nair says "Hi". I could go on.

Making BS blanket statements that are not true =/= Smart

In Melee there were many moves that were too easy to block an punish.
As oppposed to in Brawl?

They were too slow, or too laggy, or too weak.
"Too slow, too laggy" = As opposed to in Brawl? Almost any lag is punishable on block now. There were very few moves that you could block on pure reaction and it's not like Brawl has many less of them, especially when you factor in the newcomers.
"Too weak" = I'm sorry, have you played Brawl? In Melee, a move being "too weak" meant almost nothing. In Brawl, a move being too weak (and not knocking the opponent back significantly) means eating an aerial to the face since they'll get out of hitstun before you get out of lag most of the time.

See how Ness was fixed. How DK was fixed. How Peach was fixed. Zelda. Kirby. Can you deny it?
See how Captain Falcon was nerfed, how Ganondorf was nerfed (and made slower(!)), how Link (!!) was nerfed, how Bowser (!!!) was nerfed. Can you deny those?

Also, Peach was fixed? In what alternate universe? Even the most ardent of Peach fanboys in the Brawl Peach Forums (who weren't total idiots) eventually agreed that Peach is now at best a Mid character.

Making a few of Peach's moves faster =/= Fixing her/making the game more balanced

Peach is now so bad she repesents the imbalanced in the game (bring it on, fanboys, flame me all you want, as if I haven't seen it all before). So they made her Fair faster. They also made it weaker. They, addionally, nerfed Nair's range, priority and damage (kinda). They made Dashattack worse (less priority, no combo potential), they nerfed Dsmash (pretty much everything about it), they even kinda nerfed Over B. It's slightly faster but it's not like it's better all of a sudden, case in point the lack of bouncing off of permanent walls.

If you could make a list of Brawl useless moves... it would be much more smaller than those from Melee.
You make a list of Melee's useless moves and I'll refute it and smack you with a Brawl list. Also , "less useless moves" =/= "more balanced". It can add to balance, but so far, you haven't proved in any way whatsoever that the character balance (which is, really, the only balance that matters) is better in Brawl.

No, you saying "More characters can compete" when tourney results and theory fighter both state otherwise does not make you right.

Then, as all characters have usable moves.
As opposed to in Melee where even Pichu had usable moves?

All characters have good potential.
Some have good potential. Some have amazing potential. Some have next to no potential. Nothing new here.

There may be a few better gifted characters, but the majority is usable and power-capable.
Oh yes, there's a huge mid tier... who are usable against each other (and those below them, and in some cases, in specific matchups against those above them). But the Tops and Highs play on a different playing field. In Melee, the Mids stood a much better chance of winning tournaments or at least doing well in them than the Mids in Brawl.

It is just irrational to say Melee is a more balanced game.
Why? Because you say so?

Also, GG doesn't look like its the game for me. Trapping people in the corner while they sit and block your attacks that chip away at their health bar isn't my idea of a cool combo vid.
Faultless Defense, Slashbacks and Perfect Shielding solve the problems with chip damage.

Theres is balance inside a Character, and balance between characters. Balance within a Charater is important so to the many options he has when fighting are equally effective, or usable depending on situation. I mean if a character has 2 very good moves an the rest are crap. He is not balanced. And you will only be using those moves. Brawl made an amazing job in this.
You're completely ignoring the newcomers. And those who do have useless or next-to-useless movesets in Brawl. Or those who have moves that are usable but that pale in comparison to the "usable" moves of other characters (like the majority of Mid).

Balance between characters is what we often speak about. But .. if you think of it.. They have a relation. If the many moves of a character are good and usable (even spammable, which is better than useless, ex. mach tornado), the character can do well in combat.
So what if Peach has few moves that are totally useless in Brawl? Doesn't mean jack squat if her moves pale in comparison to Zelda's.

So.. if every character has a set of good moves (let's say, almost every move, some others will depend on situation off course).
In Melee and Brawl, each character has a standard of 18 A and B moves (some have more) + throws. having a few useless/"not usable" ones doesn't mean much if it's only, say, 3 out of 18 + 4 (throws). It's like having 22 TVs. 4 of them are useless. Then you "fix" them so only 2 of them are useless.

Does that really mean much to you when you're only going to use 15 of them, anyway? Also, what about the fact that the majority of throws in Brawl are "useless" now? All most of them can accomplish is inflict damage. Sheik's throws barely have any knockback at 200%. Those are moves too. Meanwhile, in Melee, many of Sheik's throws were "too good" (in NTSC).

It is much more likely that there will be balance between characters.
More likely =/= It's how things are

Just like in the Ace Attorney series, in this debate, establishing a possibility means Hello Kitty. You have to use decisive evidence. There's a possibility Captain Falcon's God Tier with untapped potential. Doesn't mean it's true.

I don't think that balance between a character leads to balance between characters.. there has to be overall tunning . It is still, a hard job to do.. but.. so far... those nerfs, buffs and changes in Brawl from Melee, all have lead to a more balanced game.
Blind blanket statements are bad in debate. Stop using them. Decisive evidence.

If you take Melee Ness vs Fox.. and Brawl Ness vs Fox.. which is more balanced? Melee Sheik vs Kirby.. against Brawl Sheik vs Kirby ... Brawl is more balanced.
Objection! More BS! The game has been friggin' rebalanced! Of course matchups are going to be different in this game! So what if Sheik's so different she does far worse against Kirby now than in Melee?! That's not important as they're different charcters this time around!

They're cosmetically pretty much the same (especially Kirby), but even their movesets are cosmetically different now. Most of them work vastly different from in Melee.

Speaking about Ganondorf, Jigglypuff and Falcon.. we still have to see how far players can go.
"It's still too early to tell". Oh yeah? Then how come it's not too early for you to tell X characters are more balanced?

(I don't mention Yoshi as I am convinced he is good. )
In Sweden, we have a saying:
"Believing is what you do in church"

("I'm convinced (despite evidence otherwise)" = "I believe")

But still, we are talking about 4 characters from 39.
Name all characters you believe are worthless in Melee and that don't stand a chance at winning tournaments or placing high in them and I'll make a list of Brawl characters with roughly the same potential relatively speaking. I promise you, the list will not contain only 4 characters.

You're welcome. Lovely to see you can at least be grateful for others trying to back up your points. Even though I've just sided with you, you still try to belittle me...?
Because what you claim is my opinion isn't my opinion at all.

Who's to say I said it to speak on your behalf, anyway? Rather, I could of simply of been pointing out why others were wrong, just as you have done many times.
English is my third language. It must be your 10th.

"Yuna doesn't know the Smashers and hasn't played them. Therfore, to him, they're 'no name players." - Sounds a lot like claiming that's what my definition of what a "no name player" is... ergo, speaking on my behalf (without my permission).

The knowledge needed to make my last reply had nothing to do with the thread. What I stated was simply common sense and was a direct reply towards someone that I felt was wrong. Therefore, I replied to them. It unfortunately just-so-happened that one of their comments remarked about you.
How about you not claiming that what you're saying is an opinion shared by me?

I also love the way that you're annoyed at me for 'speaking on your behalf', despite approximately a hundred others here doing the exact same thing, some of which were aimed at me whilst we were debating earlier. Yet, you did not ward them away, and in some cases even thanked them.
Quotes or it didn't happen.

And some of them might have been posters I actually respect and who aren't total idiots. And they didn't make up BS and lies. When they say "Yuna thinks this", it's based off of actual evidence, like, say, me actually saying those things. That's just quoting or paraphasing me,

Please point out to me where I've said anything that could even be paraphrased as "Yuna doesn't know the Smashers and hasn't played them. Therfore, to him, they're 'no name players."

I ask you.. what makes Yoshi bad?
This should be rich.

He has long second jump with super armor.
Juggernaut Armor =/= Super Armor

Now he can recover with Up B.
In what alternate universe? Popo goes higher now with Up B than in Melee, but that doesn't mean he can recover using Up B. Neither can Yoshi.

He is not slow
But he's laggy.

his attacks have good range and are not weak.
So do a lot of Captain Falcon's moves (and they're fast too) and so did a lot of Pichu's attacks. Yoshi has priority issues and cannot combo. His recovery sucks (still) and he still can't jump out of shield.

All of his B moves can do quite well in combat.
Against bad players. B is slow and can be spotdodged on pure reaction by the top echelon of players (or just players with good reaction), Side B isn't half as good as some people think it is. Down B, how the hell is that a good attack? It's not fast and it lags so much you're pretty much a sitting duck. Anyone whose Fsmash isn't Ike-speed can just Fsmash you into infinity on block.

MorpheusVGX, your posts beg me to ask you the following question:
Have you played Brawl? And if you have, has your copy been altered in any way?

I also want to mention that the fact a Noob can do better with a character does not prove he is more gifted. There are characters harder to use than others and they can become more powerful. Let's take an example from Melee: Fox. Fox is a fast faller and for Noobs that is deadly. For pros.. it is a good thing. Fox was the most powerful character , but he was hard to master . A Noob with Fox couldn't do much. I can guarantee that in a Noob match.. Kirby vs Fox.. Kirby would win. At high levels of play... that was difficult.
Funny, Foxes, Falcos and Marths spamming C-sticked smashes and powerful aerials destroy Kirbies, Mewtwos, Pichus and Zeldas doing the exact same thing in Sweden. I guess I live in Bizarro Land.

Uh... what? Priority? The priority of his character has nothing to do with why he may or may not be a weak character. :laugh:
Do you know what the hell Priority means in fighting games? If not, look it up. Priority is very important in Smash.

Yes.. he was catch on fire , but then he could fly. Fox was too fast to be controlled by a Noob. And in the mids of confusion you could often fall to death.
Not really, because n00bs do not waveshine, wavedash, dashdance or any of the other techniques that made Fox "too fast". In the midst of confusion, all characters can fall to their deaths if the one controlling them suck. I guess everyone's Bottom Tier.

So we're not talking about n00bs anymore? We're talking about people who've barely touched the game? Then everyone except the ones with exceptional recoveries are Bottom Tier as total n00bs consistently die all the time due to inability to simply Up B when knocked off the stage.

It's not that big of a problem, at least not for Sonic.

Partly because SWF makes such a big deal out of it that they people get caught off guard when Sonic outprioritizes one of their attacks with U-air, F-air, D-air, Fsmash, F-tilt, D-smash, U-smash, or Side-B's invincibility frames. Or clang moves with spin charge.

But also because most good Sonic players won't attack to 'clang' but instead try to beat out attacks and abuse landing lag/post attack lag. The grab game also tends to be abused as much as possible.
Who the hell attacks to clank? We attack to win. But if my Marth's Fsmashing you at the same time as your Sonic is doing whatever, if your move is too weak, my Fsmash will go through your move. In the air, the move with the greatest priority will always win unless both moves are B-moves, which means you cannot clank in the air (unless with B moves).

Prioritity is very important. And I don't know what kind of Sonics you've been playing/play yourself, but Sonic's lack of priority is one of his major flaws and most (good) Sonic mainers know and agree with this.

Also, good players will not consistently leave themselves open so that you can "abuse landing lag/post attack lag". Don't base character potential on bad players.

The only times I've been annoyed by Sonic's priority is against characters with high aerial priority like Luigi, Wario, Jigglypuff, and Peach, but that's mostly solved by switching to ground vs aerial game and using shields, baits or just plain attacking from a different angle.
How about you try playing a few good players and maybe them you'll learn a bit more about how important priority really is?

There's always the whole "outplaying" your opponent with better reading, baits, mindgames and pressure.
Yes, higher priority just makes it easier to do all that.

You're not listening, nor did you read the whole of the conversation.
Yes, priority is very important, but priority isn't something that actually makes Yoshi 'suck'. It's just the outcome.
Funny, I could've sworn his relatively low priority contributed to his suckage.

From my experience fighting competent Yoshi mains (wifi)
I'm sorry, what?

When they play defensively, they don't resort to shield. They tend to resort to walking away/out of range (and countering with a B-air>juggle/combo) or a retreating pivot grab.
How about you stop sucking and consistently fall for that BS then?

Can you name all of Snake's kill moves? Good. Can you tell when you get above Snake that he's going to try to U-tilt?
All of them?

How can Snake then land kills when the person he's up against knows his kill moves and their range? Mindgames.
Yes? And?

And mind you, mindgames aren't necessarily character-specific.
Let's say, for the sake of argument, Snake has to "win 100 mindgames" to win against Yoshi. Yoshi has to win 1000 mindgames to win against Snake.

Character attributes help us to/prevent us from mindgaming.

-_- Why the hell do we have these bunch of discussions? It seems like if anyone Mentions the "Y" Word, then 15 people break in and discuss why he sucks and nobody should ever use him, even though THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE TOPIC IN THE FIRST PLACE. Now I gotta defend because the reasons on why are complete bull****.
Because Yoshi is one of the worst characters in the game. He's a prime example of why Brawl is messed up.

BULL****! I seen characters with way less range than Yoshi and get treated alot better than him. Yoshi's Range is fine.
It's one of the factors leading to Yoshi's downfall.

I still don't know where this "Yoshi's Priority is crapzardz!" stuff is coming from. Yoshi's Priority is very average at best. Almost all of Yoshi moves cancel out almost everyone elses moves, even very strong attacks.
Learn the difference between Air and Ground priority.

I don't think a Characters diffucultiy should have any impact on how well the character is. Only when the character is played to the max of their potential. Take Voldo from Soul Calibur for example. He's an awkward character to play as, and looks completely garbage on the outside, but devastating on the inside once you Master him.
It doesn't. You've got that one right, at least.

Yoshi is not a character you can just pick up and start owning people with.
You can't own as Yoshi... ever.

Not going to deny that Yoshi's Sheild game is pretty bad, but I won't say it completely cripples him. However he's got Pivot Grabs to replace it now, which can work even better in most cases.
What, as opposed to everyone else's Pivot Grabs? Also, since when is Yoshi's Grabs all that, anyway? Unless, of course, you're facing Wario.

Predictable? Are you Kidding me? Almost all of Yoshi's moves come out Lighting Fast! Really only Fsmash and Fair are his only Slow ones, but Dragonic Reversing makes him even more unpredictable with his attacks and movement.
Being fast =/= Being unpredictable. Good players shield on prediction. If we think you're gonna Bair us, we shield it and then punish you for bairing us in the face.

Besides, Yoshi has alot more than Fsmash to kill. Uair, Usmash's, and Ground DownB's also Kill at pretty decent %'s.
Usmash is highly unsafe. Uair requires a sweetspot and isn't even that good. If you'r reliably killing people with "Ground Down B's", you need to find better opponents.

Just because He doesn't have extreamly overpowered Tilts like Snake, doesn't make him suck.
Yes it does. Because Snake, Meat, G&W and a lot of other characters are just that much better than Yoshi that Yoshi is total garbage in comparison (unless, of course, he's facing Wario).

Infact why all this comparison to Snake? You can make anyone who isn't MetaKnight look complete garbage by comparing it to him.
I suggest you play Brawl. There are a few more who do not look like complete garbage in comparison to Snake.

Again, what the hell are you talking about? Mario's Fsmash has the same Startup Lag as Yoshi Fsmash, and they're pretty much equal in power.
I believe Mario's has more shieldknockback, though. And possibly more shieldstun. But don't hold me to that.

And EVERYONE has a better shield game than Yoshi because EVERYONE HAS THE SAME FRICKEN SHIELD!
Everyone does not have the same shield.

And not Mobile enough? Yoshi is one of the fastest characters in the game for **** sake! He's faster than 2/3's of the roster.
In what alternate universe? Speed is more than startup lag.

DEAR GOD! If you haven't fought a Good Yoshi, then why are you debating so much on why he sucks! OF COURSE YOU'RE GOING TO THINK HE SUCKS IF YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED ANYONE WHO KNOWS HOW TO USE HIM!
And of course you'd think Yoshi doesn't suck if you've never played any good players who know how to fight him.

I agree with the logic employed, but comparing the very top to the very bottom of Brawl is not a fair assessment, as Brawl has 39 fighters to melee's 26.

In other words, while Melee is probably more balanced than Brawl because of the greater number of universal options, it is only fair to compare characters that are within 26 places of eachother, like maybe R.O.B. to PT instead of MK to Captain Falcon.
BS logic. A game's balance comprises every single character on the roster. The best vs. the worst is a very fair comparison, especially since Brawl's supposedly vastly superior in terms of balance. More characters mean it's harder to balance. That doesn't give you a "Get out of Balance"-card (like you're suggesting above, where we should only compare characters within 26 tier placings of each other).

The importance of a Smash goes Speed > Range > Priority.
Not really.

Yoshi Fsmash comes out Faster or equal to about half of those characters, and also outrange's half also.
In what alternate universe? Specify.

Yoshi has some priority, but due to the Hitbox actually shifting into his head when doing it, makes it kinda funky.
You Funky Smash in my general direction, I fair you as Marth. Who wins?

It doesn't really matter though, because If done simultaneously, then Yoshi will get the hit in first on half of those characters anyways.
If they're idiots and not spacing. If they're idiots and use slow moves and leave themselves open frequently.

Although Yoshi's Fsmash should be the primary attack in the first place anyways when he has better attack to kill in the first place
Wait, Yoshi's Fsmash should be his primary attack? In what alternate universe?

you guys say yoshi? I say pichu...
I say Pichu had a much better chance of beating the Tops and Highs of Melee than Yoshi (who isn't even the worst character in Brawl) has agains the Tops and Highs of Brawl.

Yes because so far, you're only 20% accurate with your claims.
Better than your, what, 5%?

You call that competent? Both players were sub-par. The Meta-Knight choked or got hit on the head or whatever and just started sucking after a while. That one vid proves bupkis.

I think Yoshi can Dashcancel with Dragonic Reversing (AKA WaveYoshing), but I don't do it much, I do it with Dsmash due to it not canceling the slide. Even without AT's, Yoshi's Bair is a fine approach. Nair, Ftilt, and Dtilt also work ok too.
Only Nair, among other things, is ridiculously unsafe.

Can't space the landing? Not sure what you really mean by that. He can set up immediately afterwards with a Ftilt on landing, and then follow that up with a Uair for a 3-6 hit combo. And again, I already explained the approaches already.
What if I don't suck and don't get hit by any of that BS?

Terrible ability to counter Approaches? Have you seen what Yoshi's QDS Pivot Grabbing can do?
What if I space and don't consistently fall for stupid BS like that? Your tactics require the opponent to fall for obvious things over and over and over again. After 3 times, smart players will catch on.

We all know that Brawl Captain Falcon doesn't have much against Brawl Snake. We also know that Brawl has a 39 (or 37, depending on how PT's counted) cast to melee's 26, which gives it an excuse.
Stop clinging to this BS argument. So what if Brawl has more characters? It just makes it harder to balance the game. If you're good, you can still balance it.

Allow me to laugh.

Well, depending on which tier of Brawl characters you are comparing, the game is really balanced or unbalanced. If you take out the sacred 7 (MK, Falco, Snake, Marth, G&W, DDD, and ROB) you will see that there are not nearly as many 7:3 matchups and hard counter matchups (if you don't factor in CF, Link, Ike, Ganon, Jiggly, or Bowser who probably won't be tournament viable either way); The leftover characters who do have quite a few 7:3 matchups also have have quite a bit of only slight advantages as well also a good amount of even matchups (MUCH more so than Meta Knight and Snake).
The Mids can compete against each other. They cannot against the Tops and Highs. Which means the game is imbalanced.

Hey, if we're doing this for Brawl, let's do it for Melee! Let's take out the Top 5 characters in Melee (5/26 is roughly the same as 7/39 (I was generous))! Guess what, the game just became totally different and a lot more balanced.

Doctor Mario disagrees.

TheX0913

Smash Apprentice
Jersey City, New Jersey; Cornell at Ithaca, New Yo
- Yuna
It is pretty much accepted that Ivysaur counterpicks Squirtle, Charzard counterpicks Ivysaur, and Squirtle counterpicks Charizard. At least, most PT users will attempt to remain one pokemon ahead of their opponent to maintain an advantage. In this sence, PT was made with counterpicking in mind.

I dislike discussion of discovering tricks, because it reinforces a limited mindset into the abilities of characters. "Developing" reinforces the necesary methology better. No solution to the anti-GW puzzle may exist, but if a solution does exist, optimism will find it better than pessimism.

I am having trouble with GW countering currently, so I can't tell you much jigglyzelda. I can tell you that the best options against MK is Ivysaur primary and Charzard secondary. Snake - Charzard primary, Ivysaur secondary seems the most effective in that matchup. Olimar - Charzard actually appears to be a counterpick. Note: I am not always finding counters when I am discussing the PT matchups, but rather which pokemon have the best qualities for these matchups.
rofl. It reminds me of netbattle. Where everyturn you would change pokemon to get the advantage. Only there you would be able to attack the incoming switched pokemon and in brawl they have an invincibility frame. And switching is predictable in brawl so PT counterpicking a PT seems pointless. Also, I believe yuna mentioned this in another thread but if the ATs haven't been found yet they may never be found. Every other figther game community has developed mostt of the meta game in the first few months. The example Yuna used was guilty gears...i think. No disrespect.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Love ya, yuna. :)

Anyway, personally, I think brawl is much more imbalanced than melee. Like many people have already stated, in melee a pichu had a chance of winning against a higher tier character, but in brawl, there is a much bigger gap between the tiers, in my opinion.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
The Mids can compete against each other. They cannot against the Tops and Highs. Which means the game is imbalanced.

Hey, if we're doing this for Brawl, let's do it for Melee! Let's take out the Top 5 characters in Melee (5/26 is roughly the same as 7/39 (I was generous))! Guess what, the game just became totally different and a lot more balanced.
One MAJOR difference between Melee from Brawl is that the easiest characters in Brawl to use (Snake, Meta, G&W) COMPLETELY obliterate everyone outside of the sacred 7. Now if they had Melee Fox's mastering curve relative to the rest of the Brawl cast, that would be good for competition, but as it stands, the competetiveness of Brawl is HORRIBLE due to the 3 easiest characters to learn in Brawl are the best.

There are godly players playing Snake/Meta but the majority of players playing those 2 characters only have to put in the minimum effort to actually be able to get by in tourneys. At least everyone outside of the sacred 7 (I honestly don't know anything about Falco's, Marth's, ROB's, or DDD's learning curves) takes significant effort to master (by Brawl's standerds).

Besides, taking out the best characters in Melee yould make it more unbalanced because the top players devoted to the top 5 would have all of there effort wasted. However it would be a HUGE boon to Brawl. Most characters are easy enough for great players to learn easily so having to lose the ability to use the sacred 7 in a few low tier tournaments is greatly mitigated by the fact that novice players won't be able to ride Meta/Snake/G&W to the top 8 in said tournaments and competetive play is greatly strengthened.

However, for the most part, I agree that Brawl is 18 times less unbalanced that Melee.

Mmac

Smash Lord
I can't believe you made me read all of that. Can't believe that I going to reply to all of this. And then odds are you'll re-reply. This is going to be a long day. *Drinks Beers*

Juggernaut Armor =/= Super Armor
Still helps <_<

In what alternate universe? Popo goes higher now with Up B than in Melee, but that doesn't mean he can recover using Up B. Neither can Yoshi.
*Makes AVGN 7 Second "WTF!" Face* Are you seriously telling me that Yoshi's UpB Doesn't Recover? I mean..... Jesus!.... especially since you're a........ I mean........ **** man!.....

But he's laggy.
He's not laggy either.

So do a lot of Captain Falcon's moves (and they're fast too) and so did a lot of Pichu's attacks. Yoshi has priority issues and cannot combo. His recovery sucks (still) and he still can't jump out of shield.
Yoshi does not have Priority Issues, not doesn't have trouble Comboing (He's actually one of the better characters that can combo). His Recovery works so much in favour due to the new Brawl Physics (Mostly the new airdodge), but you're probably just saying that because you don't know he can recover with UpB now >_>. Also I think Jumping out of Shield is overrated.

Against bad players. B is slow and can be spotdodged on pure reaction by the top echelon of players (or just players with good reaction), Side B isn't half as good as some people think it is. Down B, how the hell is that a good attack? It's not fast and it lags so much you're pretty much a sitting duck. Anyone whose Fsmash isn't Ike-speed can just Fsmash you into infinity on block.
Even I agree with a Majority of this. NeutralB Sucks (I find it only useful against IC's because it causes easy separation). SideB I haven't seen anyone who said this was a good move. It can work in some situations. Ground DownB's used point blank comes out extreamly fast, and drags them into a unavoidable 2nd Attack. Sounds pretty good to me, that is that if he hits. Can also sweetspot the edge when need to get to the ground quickly.

Because Yoshi is one of the worst characters in the game. He's a prime example of why Brawl is messed up.
Yay, we get to me! I think so far, I don't believe in anything you say. Why should I take you seriously if you don't even know that Yoshi's UpB Recovers. Why should I? Because you're a super awesome Director? You're just as ignorant as the others.

It's one of the factors leading to Yoshi's downfall.
Yoshi's Range is Fine!

Learn the difference between Air and Ground priority.
I do, He's fine in the priority department.

It doesn't. You've got that one right, at least.
Yet, so far you're treating it like "What if a Noob Yoshi who knows nothing faces 'X' Super Good Character that knows what he's doing"

You can't own as Yoshi... ever.
........ Yes he can >_>

What, as opposed to everyone else's Pivot Grabs? Also, since when is Yoshi's Grabs all that, anyway? Unless, of course, you're facing Wario.
..... Are you kidding me? Have you even seen how good Yoshi's Pivot are? Especially compared to the other Grabs? And what does Wario have to do with anything?

Being fast =/= Being unpredictable. Good players shield on prediction. If we think you're gonna Bair us, we shield it and then punish you for bairing us in the face.
Yet, I didn't see you comment anything on the DR.... And if he's going to shield, then Yoshi has enough Aerial acceleration to beat out the Shield grab in most cases when he Bairs.

Usmash is highly unsafe. Uair requires a sweetspot and isn't even that good. If you'r reliably killing people with "Ground Down B's", you need to find better opponents.
How is it unsafe? And Uair requires sweetspoting? Since when?!? And I already explained about the Ground DownB's

Yes it does. Because Snake, Meat, G&W and a lot of other characters are just that much better than Yoshi that Yoshi is total garbage in comparison (unless, of course, he's facing Wario).
Again, he's not garbage at all. You probably don't give two ****s about him. You probably think he's garbage in Melee and 64 too.

I suggest you play Brawl. There are a few more who do not look like complete garbage in comparison to Snake.
Sorry, I shuld have said Anyone who isn't MK, Falco, ROB, G&W, and Surprising Donkey Kong.

Everyone does not have the same shield.
I meant everyone has the same basic Bubble Shield that pretty much all do the same thing. I know that people Shield games are different.

In what alternate universe? Speed is more than startup lag.
I'm sorry, I didn't realize I was playing Ganondorf instead of Yoshi. Here, lets see:

Jab = Lighting Quick
Tilts = Lighting Quick
Dsmash = Lighting Quick to the front
Usmash = Quick
Nair = Quick
Bair = Quick
Uair = Quick
Dair = Not so Quick
Rising Hit on DownB = Quick
Pivot Grabs = Quick.

And a Majority of those barley have any afterlag. I don't see where you are getting all of this "Startup Lag" thing from. Unless you think all Yoshi does is just Fsmash or Fair.

And of course you'd think Yoshi doesn't suck if you've never played any good players who know how to fight him.
I'm sorry, I can't travel across the continent going into Professional Tournaments. I'm not rich. I got to take a 250$ Just to take a ferry to the Mainland, so that I can go to an Airport, which cost god's know what. I have played many good people online, but most people don't considered online as an "Accurate representation of skill".

The importance of a Smash goes Speed > Range > Priority.
Not really.
Just think. Characters like Marth, Olimar, and Pikachu's Fsmash is good because it has all three. However a Good character like MetaKnight's Fsmash is considered one of the worse because it's too slow. He has the range and Priority, but can't actually hit him. Even characters Fsmash's with not so good Priority (Samus), or Characters with Meh range (Wario) are considered better. Plus it's pointless when Usmash and Dsmash work much better due to the Speed.

In what alternate universe? Specify.
Yoshi's Fsmash is pretty slow, but not THAT slow. And he has quite a bit of range to back it off too.

You Funky Smash in my general direction, I fair you as Marth. Who wins?
I thought we were comparing Smashes to Smashes...... Why are you breaking the rules?

If they're idiots and not spacing. If they're idiots and use slow moves and leave themselves open frequently.
Again, I thought this was an Fsmash to Fsmash comparison

Wait, Yoshi's Fsmash should be his primary attack? In what alternate universe?
What? Oh crap, Shouldn't, SHOULDN'T. I always forget the "n't" in Shouldn't -_-

Not the first time that happened too.

I say Pichu had a much better chance of beating the Tops and Highs of Melee than Yoshi (who isn't even the worst character in Brawl) has agains the Tops and Highs of Brawl.
But you don't know much about Yoshi. Admit it. To be fair, Pichu Is pretty much a smaller Pikachu with Less Range, Different properties on attacks, and kills itself. You either Like Pikachu and think Pichu is pointless, Like Pichu because he's cute, or you hate both.

Better than your, what, 5%?
At least he knew he could use the egg's to recover >_>

You call that competent? Both players were sub-par. The Meta-Knight choked or got hit on the head or whatever and just started sucking after a while. That one vid proves bupkis.
It was the only one I could find at the time. I've found more videos against Falco, ROB, and Marth (Who pose much more of a threat than MK to Yoshi), but MK Vs. Yoshi seems to be few. Then again, that video was 4 months old....

What if I don't suck and don't get hit by any of that BS?

What if I space and don't consistently fall for stupid BS like that? Your tactics require the opponent to fall for obvious things over and over and over again. After 3 times, smart players will catch on.
Judging from you're previous comment on Pivot Grabs, you probably think it's the same as his other crappy grabs. Yes, it's true that players may catch on, but it's exactly not an easy way to space or get around if you don't have a good Dair. And you can't really punish either because Yoshi's Pivot's is pretty much has the same properties as everyone's standing grab, except ranged. Most characters can't Punish quickly enough, because Yoshi can just Dodge, and then Punish back.

And I'm done. Thank god. You know Yuma, as respected and knowledgeable you are, you really don't know much about Yoshi at all. You don't need to like him, but pushing only completely false and half true facts onto people is just plain wrong.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
- Yuna

Very Long text wall. I'm not going to try to respond to the whole thing.

HOWEVER:

I think that Brawl is more balanced than melee if there is a wider variety of viable characters than in melee. I am not going to agree with a logic that says we must compare the extremes of the games, because I already know the extremes of Brawl are less balanced. Instead, I am only interested in your opinion of characters who are 26 places apart from eachother. This spectrum gives me a better idea of which game has more potential variety in the competitive scene than a general discussion of extremes. Luigi currently scores 26 of all tournament characters in Brawl, so Luigi's approximate tier is a good place for discussion. Of course, if you feel Luigi is being either over or under represented, feel free ot choose characters of your own to compare to Snake that are also around the #26 slot.

So, which is the bigger gap - between Brawl's Snake and Luigi tier, or Melee's Fox and Mewtwo tier?

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
One MAJOR difference between Melee from Brawl is that the easiest characters in Brawl to use (Snake, Meta, G&W) COMPLETELY obliterate everyone outside of the sacred 7. Now if they had Melee Fox's mastering curve relative to the rest of the Brawl cast, that would be good for competition, but as it stands, the competetiveness of Brawl is HORRIBLE due to the 3 easiest characters to learn in Brawl are the best.

There are godly players playing Snake/Meta but the majority of players playing those 2 characters only have to put in the minimum effort to actually be able to get by in tourneys. At least everyone outside of the sacred 7 (I honestly don't know anything about Falco's, Marth's, ROB's, or DDD's learning curves) takes significant effort to master (by Brawl's standerds).

Besides, taking out the best characters in Melee yould make it more unbalanced because the top players devoted to the top 5 would have all of there effort wasted. However it would be a HUGE boon to Brawl. Most characters are easy enough for great players to learn easily so having to lose the ability to use the sacred 7 in a few low tier tournaments is greatly mitigated by the fact that novice players won't be able to ride Meta/Snake/G&W to the top 8 in said tournaments and competetive play is greatly strengthened.

However, for the most part, I agree that Brawl is 18 times less unbalanced that Melee.
Once again, your argument fails since you don't really know what you're talking about.

There are like 8 top characters, and for the most part are fine agaisnt Snake and MK.

G&W counters MK, Falco can beat Snake, Pit can spam both of them easily, etc.

How can you claim characters have steeper learning curves and then say you know nothing about them? DDD is simple as hell, spot dodge, grab, repeat.

Besides MK and Snake, there's DDD, ROB, Diddy, Falco, Wario, Pit, G&W, and plenty more counterpick worthy characters.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Still helps <_<
Any attack that on a single hit inflicts at least 7% will interrupt it. Congratulations, you just died. Where's your recovery now?

*Makes AVGN 7 Second "WTF!" Face* Are you seriously telling me that Yoshi's UpB Doesn't Recover? I mean..... Jesus!.... especially since you're a........ I mean........ **** man!.....
Not much. If his 2nd jump is gone and he's (vertically) a longish way from the stage, he's dead. Also, it's not like it's instant and is very good against edgeguarding. All people have to do is time an aerial through it.

He's not laggy either.
He's laggy enough. This is Brawl. If you're laggy enough to get punished on shield, you're laggy.

Yoshi does not have Priority Issues, not doesn't have trouble Comboing (He's actually one of the better characters that can combo).
1) Yes he does. Learn the difference between ground priority and aerial priority. Yoshi does indeed have priority issues.
2) His combos are only guaranteed at low %s. They don't really inflict that much damage, at higher %s, the combos disappear and he doesn't combo into KO moves, now does he?

His Recovery works so much in favour due to the new Brawl Physics (Mostly the new airdodge),
Wait, what? How is the new airdodge in any way supplemental to Yoshi's recovery?

but you're probably just saying that because you don't know he can recover with UpB now >_>.
Yes, he recovers a nominal distance. Yay him. Watch me whack him across the air with an aerial. His recovery is easily gimped and very predictable. Very bad things in Brawl.

Also I think Jumping out of Shield is overrated.
Your thoughts have been noted.

Even I agree with a Majority of this.
Good.

Yay, we get to me! I think so far, I don't believe in anything you say. Why should I take you seriously if you don't even know that Yoshi's UpB Recovers. Why should I? Because you're a super awesome Director? You're just as ignorant as the others.
I should've phrased that better. Since when can Yoshi recover well using Up B?

Yoshi's Range is Fine!
Fine =/= Good. Note how I specifically said that his range being "fine" is one of the reasons why he's bad. Because he's just mediocre when in comes to range and quite bad when it comes to a lot of other things.

I do, He's fine in the priority department.
Fine =/= Good

Also, not really.

Yet, so far you're treating it like "What if a Noob Yoshi who knows nothing faces 'X' Super Good Character that knows what he's doing"
Quotes or it didn't happen.

........ Yes he can >_>
Because you say so? What tools enables Yoshi to "own"? No, not "not get crushed". No, not "win occasionally". But owning.

..... Are you kidding me? Have you even seen how good Yoshi's Pivot are? Especially compared to the other Grabs? And what does Wario have to do with anything?
I specifically said pivot grabs, not pivot smashes, in response to your heralding his pivot grabs. His throws aren't even that good so so what if he can get off pivot grabs? Meanwhile, I'll just combo you across the stage as Meta-Knight.

Wario can be infinited by Yoshi. Look it up sometime.

Yet, I didn't see you comment anything on the DR....
Because I have nothing to say about it? It's a good move. It doesn't make him Top Tier material and it's not useless. It's good. And? Must I comment on every single thing you say?

And if he's going to shield, then Yoshi has enough Aerial acceleration to beat out the Shield grab in most cases when he Bairs.
Who the hell only shieldgrabs on shield?! Especially when facing someone with good aerial movement?

How is it unsafe?
How is it not unsafe? Of course, I speak of characters who have decent range on their attacks for punishers.

And Uair requires sweetspoting? Since when?!?
Sorry, slip of the mind.

And I already explained about the Ground DownB's
Yes, I keep repeating that good players don't randomly leave themselves open just in perfect range for perfect finishers.

Again, he's not garbage at all. You probably don't give two ****s about him. You probably think he's garbage in Melee and 64 too.
The fanboy awakens. Ouh, I insulted the character of Yoshi. I'm not in any way just commenting on potential in Brawl!

I don't play SSB, so I won't comment on Yoshi in SSB. In Melee, Yoshi is OK. He's still easily gimped and has many bad matchups. There's a reason why no Yoshi has ever won a major Melee tournament (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Brawl Yoshi is just suckage.

Sorry, I shuld have said Anyone who isn't MK, Falco, ROB, G&W, and Surprising Donkey Kong.
Or Wario (though Yoshi can infinite him, but that's only off a Neutral B)... or Pit... or DeDeDe... or Falco... or... the list goes on.

I meant everyone has the same basic Bubble Shield that pretty much all do the same thing. I know that people Shield games are different.
Different sizes, different hitboxes.

Jab = Lighting Quick
Tilts = Lighting Quick
Dsmash = Lighting Quick to the front
Usmash = Quick
Nair = Quick
Bair = Quick
Uair = Quick
Dair = Not so Quick
Rising Hit on DownB = Quick
Pivot Grabs = Quick.

And a Majority of those barley have any afterlag. I don't see where you are getting all of this "Startup Lag" thing from. Unless you think all Yoshi does is just Fsmash or Fair.
I'm sorry, I forgot I was talking to the guy who thinks all people ever do is shieldgrab Yoshi when he Bairs their shields. Almost any lag is punishable in Brawl.

I'm sorry, I can't travel across the continent going into Professional Tournaments. I'm not rich. I got to take a 250$ Just to take a ferry to the Mainland, so that I can go to an Airport, which cost god's know what. I have played many good people online, but most people don't considered online as an "Accurate representation of skill".
1) You mentioned playing people Online (the fact that you even mentioned it auto-fails you).
2) Wait, if you've never played good people, what makes you think you know Yoshi's full potential (against people who know how to face him)?
3) I'm sorry, these good people you play online, are they the same people who only shieldgrab as a punisher?
4) ????
5) Profit?

Just think. Characters like Marth, Olimar, and Pikachu's Fsmash is good because it has all three. However a Good character like MetaKnight's Fsmash is considered one of the worse because it's too slow. He has the range and Priority, but can't actually hit him. Even characters Fsmash's with not so good Priority (Samus), or Characters with Meh range (Wario) are considered better. Plus it's pointless when Usmash and Dsmash work much better due to the Speed.
Speed > Range > Priority is not correct. You have yet to actually prove this.

How is Speed > Range if I can just keep on outranging you? You cannot approach me even if your moves are fast. Priority is better than range if the priority is greater than the range.

Yoshi's Fsmash is pretty slow, but not THAT slow. And he has quite a bit of range to back it off too.
You claim it's faster and outranges half of the mentioned characters. I call you on it. This is your devastating answer?

I thought we were comparing Smashes to Smashes...... Why are you breaking the rules?
What part of "learn how priority really works" was too Mandarin for you to understand? Yoshi having good ground priority and the ability to clank against many other ground attacks means bupkis if he's facing a very aerial character.

Again, I thought this was an Fsmash to Fsmash comparison
I don't care what other people are talking about. I'm talking about general priority, not "Fsmash vs. Fsmash!" and "Ground vs. Ground only!"

But you don't know much about Yoshi. Admit it.
Yes. Your word is law. Anyone who disagrees with you knows very little about Yoshi.

To be fair, Pichu Is pretty much a smaller Pikachu with Less Range, Different properties on attacks, and kills itself. You either Like Pikachu and think Pichu is pointless, Like Pichu because he's cute, or you hate both.
What the Hello Kitty does this have to do with anything?! Since when were we discussing who's better, Pikachu or Pichu?! Also, since when does Pichu kill itself? It damages itself with certain B moves.

At least he knew he could use the egg's to recover >_>
Oh yes. Allow me to smash you across the screen after you've lost your 2nd jump. Where's your recovery now?

It was the only one I could find at the time. I've found more videos against Falco, ROB, and Marth (Who pose much more of a threat than MK to Yoshi), but MK Vs. Yoshi seems to be few. Then again, that video was 4 months old....
Post said videos where Yoshi wins. Also, it has to be clean wins against players of roughly equal skill, not "One player obviously messed up really badly" or "One player is just that much worse than the other".

Judging from you're previous comment on Pivot Grabs, you probably think it's the same as his other crappy grabs.
Yoshi's throws aren't really that good. Even if you manage to consistently grab someone, it's not like you can win using throws alone.

Yes, it's true that players may catch on, but it's exactly not an easy way to space or get around if you don't have a good Dair.
Or how about we play characters you don't rely on Dair for approaches? Like, say, the majority of the cast?

And you can't really punish either because Yoshi's Pivot's is pretty much has the same properties as everyone's standing grab, except ranged. Most characters can't Punish quickly enough, because Yoshi can just Dodge, and then Punish back.
Only in most cases, if you dodge a grab, you can punish it with a quick enough attack (or a grab of your own if you're in range). Most characters have moves that come out on 1-3 frames (jabs, tilts).

And I'm done. Thank god. You know Yuma, as respected and knowledgeable you are, you really don't know much about Yoshi at all. You don't need to like him, but pushing only completely false and half true facts onto people is just plain wrong.
Or how about you stop exaggerating his strengths? I'll conceede I was wrong on the Uair. That's pretty much it. It's typical Low Tier fanboyism.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
There are like 8 top characters, and for the most part are fine agaisnt Snake and MK.
"They are fine"? Well then, Melee has 12 Top characters because that's how many characters are "fine" against Fox and Falco.

G&W counters MK
In what Bizzaro World?

Falco can beat Snake
"Falco can beat Snake"? Wait... he has a chance of beating Snake? But he's still got the friggin' disadvantage!

Pit can spam both of them easily, etc.
Excuse me while I try spamming some good Snake players as Pit.

Besides MK and Snake, there's DDD, ROB, Diddy, Falco, Wario, Pit, G&W, and plenty more counterpick worthy characters.
How is Diddy even that good? Name these supposed characters.

I think that Brawl is more balanced than melee if there is a wider variety of viable characters than in melee.
What the heck does this mean? "Wider variety"? Do you mean "higher number of characters"? If so, I disagree. Or do you mean "variety in the kinds of characters that are viable, as in how they work"? If so, I call BS. Who cares about variety?

Instead, I am only interested in your opinion of characters who are 26 places apart from eachother. This spectrum gives me a better idea of which game has more potential variety in the competitive scene than a general discussion of extremes. Luigi currently scores 26 of all tournament characters in Brawl, so Luigi's approximate tier is a good place for discussion. Of course, if you feel Luigi is being either over or under represented, feel free ot choose characters of your own to compare to Snake that are also around the #26 slot.
Mewtwo had combos and gimps and whatnot on Fox. He still lost. What does Luigi have on Snake? It's quite telling when, even if you eliminate many characters from the running, Luigi's chances of winning are roughly the same as those of Mewtwo's.

The Low Tier of Melee was largely shaped due to Sheik's downthrow chaingrabs and a lot of them just being plain bad against other low tiers (ironically). A lot of the Low Tiers didn't really have that horrible matchups against the Tops, Highs and Mids.

In PAL, we don't even have to worry about Sheik's chaingrab.

So, which is the bigger gap - between Brawl's Snake and Luigi tier, or Melee's Fox and Mewtwo tier?
This is BS talk. Luigi is Mid Tier. Mid Tier is huge. Not all Mids are equal.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Once again, your argument fails since you don't really know what you're talking about.

G&W counters MK, Falco can beat Snake, Pit can spam both of them easily, etc.

How can you claim characters have steeper learning curves and then say you know nothing about them? DDD is simple as hell, spot dodge, grab, repeat.

1. Those other top tiers are not nearly as good as Snake and Meta primarily because they obliterate those other "top tiers" in tourney rankings. The reason? Anyone with decent skill using Meta/Snake can beat a great player using someone outside of the sacred 7. And besides, Meta Knight and Snake would not be complained about NEARLY as much if a decent amount of characters could go head to head with them.

2. I said I only know nothing on DDD, Marth, Falco, and ROB. The others have a steeper learning curve because they have to fight Snakes and Metas. Plus, I did not say they were hard to master, just harder to master than Snake and Meta Knight.

3. No one has rebutted my claim on how the competetive balance of Brawl would be GREATLY benefitted from the large separation of the Snake/MK/G&W and possibly the other sacred 7 members, from the rest of the roster to the point that it is not unreasonable (I've already admitted Brawl is severely imbalanced compared to Melee, but no one has totally debunked my idea about a giant low tier).

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
3. No one has rebutted my claim on how the competetive balance of Brawl would be GREATLY benefitted from the large separation of the Snake/MK/G&W and possibly the other sacred 7 members, from the rest of the roster to the point that it is not unreasonable (I've already admitted Brawl is severely imbalanced compared to Melee, but no one has totally debunked my idea about a giant low tier).
I could've sworn I said:
"Hey, if we're doing this for Brawl, let's do it for Melee! Let's take out the Top 5 characters in Melee (5/26 is roughly the same as 7/39 (I was generous))! Guess what, the game just became totally different and a lot more balanced."

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
What the heck does this mean? "Wider variety"? Do you mean "higher number of characters"? If so, I disagree. Or do you mean "variety in the kinds of characters that are viable, as in how they work"? If so, I call BS. Who cares about variety?

Mewtwo had combos and gimps and whatnot on Fox. He still lost. What does Luigi have on Snake? It's quite telling when, even if you eliminate many characters from the running, Luigi's chances of winning are roughly the same as those of Mewtwo's.

The Low Tier of Melee was largely shaped due to Sheik's downthrow chaingrabs and a lot of them just being plain bad against other low tiers (ironically). A lot of the Low Tiers didn't really have that horrible matchups against the Tops, Highs and Mids.

In PAL, we don't even have to worry about Sheik's chaingrab.

This is BS talk. Luigi is Mid Tier. Mid Tier is huge. Not all Mids are equal.
By "Wider variety" I mean higher number of characters. I took a look at what appears to be the official melee matchup chart. Here is the link. If this info is correct, then Melee is not very balanced at all.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
By "Wider variety" I mean higher number of characters.
And you base this on what (no, please, no more opinions)?

I took a look at what appears to be the official melee matchup chart. Here is the link. If this info is correct, then Melee is not very balanced at all.
The argument has never been that Melee is balanced (even though that's a relative term). This is an irrelevant point. The argument is which game is more balanced than the other.
That chart is highly disputed (as expected). For one thing, there's absolutely no reason why Zelda should have a 2 against Peach and illlogically enough a 4 against Marth.

Also, notice how it's all 5-5 4-5 or 5-3 all the way down to Ganondorf. In other words, all the way down to Ganondorf, everyone stood a pretty good chance. It's not like 5-3 is a horrible, horrible matchup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom