• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl is technical as ****

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBQ°

Smash Champion
yeah... so serious question. Why do people like Brawl and why do people think it's a good game?

Idk where you guys are getting this "fighting" part from. Smash is a straight up party game, just like Mario Party.
except Mario Party 4, obviously. Now that is the definition of competition right there.

DC

Smash Cadet
Imo people think SSB is a fighting game series because they keep turning items off.

*P*L*U*R*

Smash Hero
Smash is a platformer action game. You guys need to stop comparing them to fighting games. Just because you're hitting people doesn't mean its a fighting game. It's almost the same as if gunstar heroes had a vs mode.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
****, I didn't know we had the committee of deciding what genre games were.
I also didn't know you'd be this bad at it.
"Just because you're hitting someone doesn't mean its a fighting game"
I'm going to go punch someone in the mouth. "When they say ok *****, let's fight" I'll simply reply with "it's not a fight. It's an action platform" or "it's a party."

People think Blaz blue is a serious fighting game because they banned V-13.

All Mario Party games suck.
Yeah. I said it.

People like Brawl because liking something is subjective. People think it's a good game because that also is subjective. I'm sure there are plenty of people who like and don't like you. ;)
I also think Melee tries to appeal to a less intellectual crowd. I love stupid fox players that win simply because they're technical.

LolJiggs. Yeah, she takes a lot of mind power to use.

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
This conversation was pointless on the first page. It was clearly a troll opportunity. The title could have been something more like, "Captain Falcon's infinite is hard as balls" or something like that. Nope, you turned it into a "Brawl doesn't suck" discussion inviting people to bash Melee. Seriously? That was an extremely childish move.

Dart

Smash Lord
I'm going to go punch someone in the mouth. "When they say ok *****, let's fight" I'll simply reply with "it's not a fight. It's an action platform" or "it's a party."

Yeah. I said it.

People like Brawl because liking something is subjective. People think it's a good game because that also is subjective. I'm sure there are plenty of people who like and don't like you. ;)
I also think Melee tries to appeal to a less intellectual crowd. I love stupid fox players that win simply because they're technical.

this post is even worse. gg brawlkid

Purple

Hi guys!
Smash is only a platformer in nature when you play that one story mode in melee or SSE.

Let's look at it point by point.

Each character (while having similar directional inputs) have different attacks that combo or 'combo' differently depending on the character.

Street fighter has that same action. While inputs are somewhat different, there are similarities (jab, short, roundhouse, etc. all work the same for each character, while frame data might be different). Street fighter has more inputs than smash yes, but they work generally the same way.

Street fighter and Smash can both end in time-out, or 'k.o'. While the stock system is different than the life bar system in the sense that if your opponent is an idiot, you can live for much longer than you should, It's still generally the same. Yes, certain characters die at different %'s than others (see; snake dies much later than jigglypuff), the same can be said for street fighter (zangief dies MUCH later than seth).

A fighting game is generally knocking your opponent out before your opponent knocks you out. With items it can still be considered a fighter, just different mechanics.

I remember at final round Jwong was ****** some people with Diddy Kong a LONG while back, got 2nd place at that tournament if i remember right. Justin Wong has great spacing and general fighting game knowledge, to say that he would come into a party game with that knowledge and still place well wouldn't make sense. Brawl/Melee both have spacing and zoning tools such as street fighter. The game is broken sure, the mechanics are a bit different, i agree with that as well, however the idea that it's not a fighting game when we've made rules that give it a fighting game-esque feel is stupid to say.

Sorry to say brawl players, but melee is closer to a 'fighting game' than brawl. In the sense that melee has 'combos'. While brawl also has them, they are pretty silly.

No need to bash one another though, just accept the facts.

btw tommy_g, don't try to defend yourself with only thoughts and assumptions, it generally makes you look like an idiot no offense. I see what you're trying to say though :).

but when did Nu get banned from blazblue? She's not even the best character.

Purple

Hi guys!
LOL Barlw ICs.
The idea of brawl ic's is to stay away for as long as possible and let ic's approach and punish.

Just plank the ledge with MK, brawl is a game of patience afterall.

Worst case scenario you can mash out at early percentages.

I don't play Melee because Jigglypuff is the best character in the game.
no one plays the jigglypuff match-up well. As far-fetched as it sounds. Jiggly should be above falcon, but the match-ups after that are bad for jiggs, impatience in fox/falco/marth players at it's finest

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention other ******** and easy CGs such as Pika's, D3's, and Falco's. GTFOutta here Tommy G, you know nothing about Melee.
Falco's cg does about 45% except for snake which it could potentially kill.

Same thing with d3's

Pika's is a bit worst situationally for some characters.

Generally speaking, characters have the tools to avoid grabs (dair camping, grenades always around you, a better grab range, planking lolol, etc.)

The grabs are infact very easy, however can be beaten. IC's have 0-death's on everyone, why aren't they winning national tournaments? Hell, the top players all use characters that don't have cg's (granted their busted regardless, but you get the idea, the chaingrabs aren't as effective as generally thought)

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
You can mash out before 45%.
Good luck mashing out of a rest.

I kinda just wanted to see if they Melee people would get completely immature if some negative things were said about their game from someone they've never heard of. It's kind of adorable how they didn't even try to argue with me. Melee's such a bad game and their players, except for a select few, are so childish.

Nice double post btw.

There are more combos in Smash 64. Does it make it a better fighting game?

Purple

Hi guys!
Not exactly, melee had a generally 'perfect' (by smash standards) mix of hit stun.

Smash 64 is like

Ryu bread and butter combo being fp > dash > fp > dash > fp > dash > fp > dash> fp > dash > fp xx metsu hadouken.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I was enjoying the show. I thought it funny it was, like, one guy "defending" brawl.

It's like defending Zelda CDi games.

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
Amazing Post.
That being said...I looked at the infinite. (Since this is what the thread is SUPPOSED to be about) it's pretty much 2 moves. It looks like that infinite they gave Taokaka in BlazBlue: Continuum Shift. Not sure if the timing is the same, though. Since it's an infinite I imagine it'd take a little time to get the timing down decently. Not much, though. Probably about as long as it takes to learn how to wobble. (10 minutes tops) Even then...at some point....the 'infinite' can be DI'ed. It looks semi-difficult at best.

Purple

Hi guys!
Games are busted, however can still be defended against games that are equally busted in the right hands.

No one's -truly- seen the power of busted brawl yet.

Purple

Hi guys!
The infinite will take way too long, but with 8 minutes to spare, I don't see why falcon mains wouldn't try this. However can this only be done on R.O.B?

Wiscus

(◕ω◕✿)
3DS FC
3840-5663-0679
This thread is amusing and I am happy that all of you feel the need to share and stress your opinions to one another.
Do go on.

DC

Smash Cadet
The best way to win in Brawl is to run away as much as possible.

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
I was looking...it does seem like it's only on Rob. Granted...I saw another combo with similar mechanics that seems like it can be applied on other characters. *shrugs* It does seem character specific, though. Like I said before, though...this can be DI'ed out of, I believe.

Purple

Hi guys!
can't DI footstools, and the jump happens too fast for them to move anywhere substantial.

Honestly DC, i don't know why people haven't caught on to this yet.

DC

Smash Cadet
lol because people like Tommy G are so determined to dash into their opponent and throw out attacks, and wonder why they still lose to people camping on the ledge.

I tried to teach him how to camp but he insisted that Falco was not good at camping.

Purple

Hi guys!
Falco is amazing at camping, you technically can't touch that guy

two frame jab

lagless short hop double laser.

Fast Aerials.

Good kill setups. (if you really *must* kill)

DC

Smash Cadet
Nah he argued that projectile-less Kirby was impossible to camp.

Purple

Hi guys!
.. .

You can shut down kirby hard. Projectile-Kirby is tough though.

and even then, i think kirby's lasers come out slower.

but this isn't about tommy_g, this is about captain falcon's infinite.

DC

Smash Cadet
But seriously

You got grabbed by Ice Climbers. That means they are more skilled than you.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
Not exactly, melee had a generally 'perfect' (by smash standards) mix of hit stun.

Smash 64 is like

Ryu bread and butter combo being fp > dash > fp > dash > fp > dash > fp > dash> fp > dash > fp xx metsu hadouken.
Perfect mix of hitstun is an opinion(opinions are subjective). I don't think Melee's level of hitstun was fit for that of a competitive fighting game.

And no. If you get caught in a bread and butter Smash 64 combo, you need to either learn how to DI or get better at not getting hit.

DC, you still feeling salty that I was right?
Teaching me how to camp? You're funny. I camped your Falco with Kirby and won. I don't even play with Kirby so that "I don't play Falco" logic doesn't work.

DC: "I'm half way across the stage. Why are you not phantasming."
1: You can punish me for it since you're half of the stage away from me.
2: I've already inputted a double laser so I can't move.

Kirby gets the lead on Falco by making a few predictions and camps the ledge. GG.

People often underestimate the amount of start up lag on SHDLs.

A Tager player loses to a Rachel or an Arakune. The Tager player is clearly less skilled.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0KgQbxKefs&feature=related
That V-13 player was clearly more skilled.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
and yes getting grabbed by an IC's player means they are way better than you.

i love jiggz pound priority in melee its cool to watch her go through samus missle, charged shot and hit her same time lol

BBQ°

Smash Champion
Tommy G said:
People like Brawl because liking something is subjective. People think it's a good game because that also is subjective. I'm sure there are plenty of people who like and don't like you.

lol. Liking anything is subjective. But people have their reasons why they like something, and that's what I want to know. I used to play Brawl competitively from March '08 - August '09, and I know plenty about the game, but I never really found a reason why I liked it or why anyone else liked it, so I want to know why people like it.

Tommy, have you even played high level Melee? Just wondering because then it wouldn't be fair to make claims like the ones you've been making if you don't even know what you're talking about.

DtJ SmithZzz

Happy Birthday Kjell

Yeah. I said it.

Sakurai said himself, it's not an fighting game, and it's not. It's also ignorant of you to say Blazblue is only serious because V 13 is banned, which if that were true, I guess when she wasn't banned it wasn't serious?
Fox can't simply win because they're technical, if the games that easy, why don't you play it? Isn't Brawl is easier?

Mike G

███████████████ 100%
BRoomer
I won't take any sides on this ancient argument but:

I was enjoying the show. I thought it funny it was, like, one guy "defending" brawl.

It's like defending Zelda CDi games.
BAHAHAHAEHAHAHAEHAHA!!
AHGHHHH HAHAHAHAHA!!!

ah, OK.

as long as things stay the way they are now, I won't close the thread. :)

Purple

Hi guys!
Sakurai said himself, it's not an fighting game, and it's not. It's also ignorant of you to say Blazblue is only serious because V 13 is banned, which if that were true, I guess when she wasn't banned it wasn't serious?
Fox can't simply win because they're technical, if the games that easy, why don't you play it? Isn't Brawl is easier?
Can you quote that antagonist? I would like to say that until you find the interview that says that, to refrain from using that in the argument :ohwell:.

v-13 wasn't banned if i remember correctly, unless you're talking about CS, which i don't know anything about i'll admit. CT v-13 is 2nd best to Rachel. v-13 just has outlandish match-ups against certain characters.

Foxes can win if they understand what to do in a match-up. Camp with no reason to stop, even if their opponent is at kill percent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom