• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl is technical as ****

Status
Not open for further replies.

DtJ SmithZzz

Happy Birthday Kjell
Can you quote that antagonist? I would like to say that until you find the interview that says that, to refrain from using that in the argument :ohwell:.

v-13 wasn't banned if i remember correctly, unless you're talking about CS, which i don't know anything about i'll admit. CT v-13 is 2nd best to Rachel. v-13 just has outlandish match-ups against certain characters.

Foxes can win if they understand what to do in a match-up. Camp with no reason to stop, even if their opponent is at kill percent.
I can probably look for it again, but if I don't, I admit I'm wrong. But I believe he said that. Though I still think it's a party/platform game. I don't remember V-13 being banned, I even looked at a Tier List with Rachel above V-13 before at DustLoop.
Foxes have to be smart to understand the match up. You can't camp non stop because they'll eventually approach, and to my belief you need to punish their approach, it's not that easy, Melee is much harder than Brawl.

EDIT: Though I can't find the interview, the definition proves Smash is a Platformer.

Platform games involve jumping between platforms of different heights, while battling enemies and avoiding obstacles. Physics are often unrealistic, and game levels are often vertically exaggerated. They exist in both 2D and 3D forms.

BBQ°

Smash Champion
Same thing goes for melee players -> high level brawl bbq
Yep, which is why I refrained from making any claims about Brawl in that post.

I've been trying to work on my Brawl vs Melee argument, haha, but I still want someone to answer why they like Brawl.

Foxes can win if they understand what to do in a match-up.
Yeah, actually this is true. Welcome to fox.

People just don't complain because Fox mains aren't winning, because they aren't doing it right.

Also, same thing goes to Meta Knight.

Heatstroke
ROFLLLLLLL

EDIT: Though I can't find the interview, the definition proves Smash is a Platformer.
I think most people refer to smash as a Platform Fighter, but it doesn't even matter lol. Point is, it's not a conventional fighter and no one (outside of the smash community) will view it that way.

DtJ SmithZzz

Happy Birthday Kjell
I mean, I'm not downing anyone for playing Brawl, Everyone has different interestings, but Tommy G is spouting out something he knows nothing about, about a game he hates. If he left it alone, I'd be okay with it, but he's saying Melee is bad for Wobbling..which is banned..and Doc's CG..which is you can easily DI out of, and other things characters can do. Brawl isn't better in my opinion, doesn't mean you shouldn't play it, though.

Purple

Hi guys!
Think about this antagonist.

Think of an enemy in a platformer, they do the same thing the entire time, generally something like walking in a straight line, or jumping constantly.

Now think of a cpu in brawl or melee, they react depending on the player's actions. Just like cpu's do in SF or BB.

Now, are you telling me that if brawl and melee were to be played on final destination every match that that's the only way it could be considered a fighting game? I don't think so; cp'ing stages is just a variable that makes it a bit different than other fighters, but it doesn't make it a platformer.

btw i'm not bashing your opinion on it, it's just it's not like two people are fighting each other on a stage like mushroom kingdom in brawl, it's a static stage. (frigate, castle siege, and rainbow cruise are different types of stages that would support your arguement to an extent, however they are cp anyways )

Purple

Hi guys!
BBQ that answer Biglou gave is the only answer you need.

Generally games are played because they are enjoyed, if people don't have fun playing a game, it doesn't matter how much 'better' it might be or more 'entertaining' it is to the general smash community, it's what matters to that specific person.

DtJ SmithZzz

Happy Birthday Kjell
Think about this antagonist.

Think of an enemy in a platformer, they do the same thing the entire time, generally something like walking in a straight line, or jumping constantly.

Now think of a cpu in brawl or melee, they react depending on the player's actions. Just like cpu's do in SF or BB.

Now, are you telling me that if brawl and melee were to be played on final destination every match that that's the only way it could be considered a fighting game? I don't think so; cp'ing stages is just a variable that makes it a bit different than other fighters, but it doesn't make it a platformer.

btw i'm not bashing your opinion on it, it's just it's not like two people are fighting each other on a stage like mushroom kingdom in brawl, it's a static stage. (frigate, castle siege, and rainbow cruise are different types of stages that would support your arguement to an extent, however they are cp anyways )
I can agree with that.

DC

Smash Cadet
Because, like Meta Knight, she is very clearly better than the rest of the characters in the game, and while still beatable, she throws off the balance of the metagame. Either way it's not like Dedede vs. DK or Pikachu vs. Fox (simple standing infinites).... any character can beat v-13.

Hell, I've beaten the 2nd top ranked v-13 on XBL (Arcade Fire87) so many times that he sends me hate mail. I play ****ing Noel.

But anyways, I lol whenever TommyG tries to change the subject to a game he's never played before.

your Falco
LOL

Purple

Hi guys!
Last time i heard that she just has very outlandish matchups, but generally speaking she's beatable (bang has a not-so-bad matchup on her)

Rachel is technically better than her, why the softban? :/

DC

Smash Cadet
Every matchup in the game is winnable. Rachel is a top tier but for different reasons... her lockdown/pressure must be extremely precise. v-13 does not have a meter to limit her. In general, she's a very annoying character to play against so when people choose her at an arcade cabinet, it's very likely that everyone else will just walk away.

But most importantly... NOBODY PLAYS CT ANYMORE. Everyone plays CS now, it's coming out on consoles in 2 months or so. :3 Now we all hate Bang and Litchi instead of v-13 and Rachel.

DC

Smash Cadet
Nope, everyone already likes it more, lol. Also it's getting rebalancements to make it even better.

mercy

Smash Apprentice
Brawl is fun, except when I'm playing against a MK.

Melee was fun, until I learned about wavedashing.

SSB64 is always fun.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I can probably look for it again, but if I don't, I admit I'm wrong. But I believe he said that.
Even if he did say that, he also says Brawl is balanced to be more aerial, when there's an absurdly low level of blockstun, and no way to make aerials safe on block. Furthermore, the only universal way to beat a shield is a ground-based maneuver, which also beats aerials. He also thinks Melee was a bad game.

Basically, I'm saying Sakurai really isn't much of an authority on his own games.

TheLastCacely

Smash Hero
Tommy G u cool, melee sucks, they scene is ran by kids playing jiggz

end of discussion.

@phoot- wait what? i think u have that backwards, or ur talking about scrubs. for GOOD brawl players, aerials are always safe on block when spaced well (neo can prove that). and ground maneuvers arent the best possible way to beat a shield.

@antagonist, i know what interview ur talking about, but he didnt say "its not a fighting game" he said he didnt want brawl to be competitive, hence the lack of hitstun and yadayada. but brawl community is what turned it into a competitive game that hella people play. Again, why MLG picked us up.

OmniOstrich

Smash Lord
@BBQ
a lot of the reason i like brawl is just because when i originally started playing i didn't know about other competitive fighters, but now when i play i enjoy it because i know everything about the game (well the viable characters anyways) which means i can make really good decisions and when i make a mistake i know exactly what i did wrong, which makes it much easier to improve.

i dont like melee as much because i haven't put the time into researching it (yet) and when i play against higher level players (dr pp, since this is nc) or in matchups i'm not used to i get stuck in combos i dont know how to di out of. its much more frustrating to me to lose bc im making mistakes i dont know about than to lose bc im making mistakes that i know

DC

Smash Cadet
In summary, he likes the easier game because it's easy. Melee is too hard.

Purple

Hi guys!
That was a bad summary.

He likes the game because it was the first thing he was introduced to, and what he knows. Melee is completely different than Brawl.

DC

Smash Cadet
That was a bad summary.

He likes the game because it was the first thing he was introduced to, and what he knows. Melee is completely different than Brawl.
Brawl was the first thing I was introduced to. If anything, Melee should have made him realize what a joke Brawl is.

From his post it seems like he doesn't like Melee because he is getting beaten by better players and doesn't know what do it (aka it's too hard.) lol Brawl players. You have an amazing Melee player to play with at your disposal and you can't figure out how to get better?

I stand by my summary. Brawl players like Brawl because it's an insanely easy game to pick up and feel like you know what you're doing. Everything is slow as hell, you have a good amount of time to think about your next move as your opponent slowly floats towards you.

BigLøu

Smash Lord
DC you can't speak like that for every brawl player.I picked up melee to try and play competitively, learned most of the techs, practiced at least a couple times a week for the past 2 years, got actually decent at it, entered a few tourneys here and there to try and get more experience( I'll probably enter some more when the summer comes).

I don't know, the game just isn't as appealing to me anymore, and as fun to me as brawl. Nothing really to do with simplicity, if I really enjoy something I'll take as long as possible until I get to the level I want to be at.

DC

Smash Cadet
Oh don't get me wrong, I think Melee sucks a fat ****. I'm talking about any fighting game aside from Brawl. It's easy. People like easy. Combos are hard. People don't like hard.

Did you notice that for most Brawl players, Brawl is their first fighting game? How many Melee players do you know have left Melee to play Brawl? Or any other fighting game players left their respective game to play Brawl?

And you know what else? Brawl is a--
502 ERROR - BAD GATEWAY

OmniOstrich

Smash Lord
Brawl was the first thing I was introduced to. If anything, Melee should have made him realize what a joke Brawl is.

From his post it seems like he doesn't like Melee because he is getting beaten by better players and doesn't know what do it (aka it's too hard.) lol Brawl players. You have an amazing Melee player to play with at your disposal and you can't figure out how to get better?

I stand by my summary. Brawl players like Brawl because it's an insanely easy game to pick up and feel like you know what you're doing. Everything is slow as hell, you have a good amount of time to think about your next move as your opponent slowly floats towards you.
don't misconstrue what i said.

i dont find melee to be that much harder than brawl, i just dont know as much about it. there is a difference between when you get caught in something you know about and getting hit by something you didn't know could happen. its not about me sitting and practicing tech skill, that takes only a handful of hours to someone with competitive gaming experience. its about me reading character boards and watching videos, creating a list of combos in matchups and then counters to them.

what im saying is when i lose melee i dont feel as much like im getting outplayed or predicted or whatever, i feel like they just know more about the game than me.

also you have to see...i dont get any extra gratification from winning melee as compared to brawl. so why invest hundreds of hours moreover to learn about melee when all it is going to do is get me to the exact same position im at in brawl?

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Did you notice that for most Brawl players, Brawl is their first fighting game? How many Melee players do you know have left Melee to play Brawl? Or any other fighting game players left their respective game to play Brawl?[/SIZE]
Did you notice that for most Melee players, Melee is their first fighting game? How Many Street Fighter players do you know have left Street fighter to play Melee? Or any fighting game players left their respective game to play Melee?

That also applies very well.

Sure, you can bring up many examples to disprove what I said wrong, like Doggy, but I can do the same for Brawl, such as Havok, who is a SF player by heart, but plays Brawl and loves it. Your statement doesn't really say anything at all. Its completely filler, blank, and empty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom