• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Information Compendium & Social

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
IASA = interruptible as soon as. eg dsmash has a 16 frame startup + 32 frame animation = 48 frames total, but since it's IASA on frame 21 of the non-startup (so 16+21 = IASA on frame 37), you can interrupt the animation from frame 37 onwards.

I know it sounds completely useless but basically frames 37-48 are entirely 'for show' and can be cancelled. Think of IASA frames like the neutral standing animation...it's entirely for show and you can interrupt it whenever.

KBG = Knockback growth (how the knockback increases as damage increases)
BKB = Base knockback (knockback regardless of damage...I guess knockback at 0%)
WBKB I think is a special knockback for moves with set knockback? idk

Uh...now I'm beginning to question this google doc. Cause it says the 2nd hit of sideB (the one that sets the opponent on fire...the strong one that everyone cares about lol) does 10%. That thing does at LEAST 16%.

KoozyK

Smash Ace
So im trying to teach my girlfriend how to play smash, and i cant seem to figure out how to get her pysche pass the noob thought process (like to actually think when playing the game)

any pointers on how to do so?

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
I don't know if this will work but it's something I tried when I was teaching somebody (I only taught him for 1 session, and I don't know if he has improved since, so take this as you will)

Fight them and do the same thing over and over again on purpose and see if they pick up on it. And TELL your girlfriend before the match that you're going to do something over and over again.

eg in my case, I was training somebody who wanted to play ZSS. So I chose DK and
-When on the ground, spotdodge --> smash attack --> repeat
-When launched in the air, airdodge immediately. Always airdodge as a defensive option in the air, no aerials and little variation in timing.

Then maybe after she picks up on it, tell her you're going to switch to a different tactic, and do so.
Then after a few of those, tell her you're going to switch to a different tactic again, but keep doing the old one.
Then maybe you tell her you're going to play seriously, but just use these repeated tactics again.
etc etc

Tesh

Smash Hero
^honestly, unless you are going to enjoy teaching her that part, she can learn how to punish obvious things like that from CPUs. I think once you can trash every level CPU, you probably have the tech skill and the right thought process to start tackling human opponents.

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
has anyone ever replaced the rubber piece inside the controller for the a/b/x/y buttons to get the responsive pushback to neutral again?

i tried doing this to my current tournament only controller
but it didn't fix the problem like i was hoping for
anyone know about this and how to get the buttons to do this??

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
I see that you're from Ontario. Were you at SiD11? (The tourney 2 days ago, on the 22nd)
If you're getting shieldgrabbed a lot, you're using moves that are unsafe on block and/or not spacing/timing your moves properly, and you're being obvious/predictable with it. If your opponent is shieldgrabbing you a lot, that means that they're expecting you to hit them and they're just waiting to shield it.
What beats shield? Duh, grab.
Start approaching with grabs to beat out their shield-->shieldgrab option (I'm not saying grab 100% of the time you approach, I'm saying sometimes use attacks and sometimes grabs so your opponent can't just do the same thing over and over again to punish you. It's an RPS situation, so you can't expect to do well it you choose rock all the time, right?)

Ultimate kaos

Smash Cadet
I see that you're from Ontario. Were you at SiD11? (The tourney 2 days ago, on the 22nd)
If you're getting shieldgrabbed a lot, you're using moves that are unsafe on block and/or not spacing/timing your moves properly, and you're being obvious/predictable with it. If your opponent is shieldgrabbing you a lot, that means that they're expecting you to hit them and they're just waiting to shield it.
What beats shield? Duh, grab.
Start approaching with grabs to beat out their shield-->shieldgrab option (I'm not saying grab 100% of the time you approach, I'm saying sometimes use attacks and sometimes grabs so your opponent can't just do the same thing over and over again to punish you. It's an RPS situation, so you can't expect to do well it you choose rock all the time, right?)
I was not at the tournament, as I am still trying to get into competitive, and would love all the help I can get :p. anyways thanks for the advice. Now that I look at it, I do need more veriaty lol

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Dear Undodgeable Smash Attack,

I want those 83 seconds of my life back.

My sincerest regards,

Not really.

Okay, I should have said learned anything remotely meaningful in order for the AI to get better in any way that makes them any difficult to beat under any circumstance.

It's just easier to say they don't learn.

:phone:
Simple as this, I did something the testers didn't. Don't really care to debate it though.
No need to put words in my mouth, and no need to get upset over a wall of text. The AI does learn somethings, like when you launch it in the air, it'll airdodge when you attack. When you attack it directly, it'll shield or it'll grab. This doesn't change the difficulty of the computer (because it was designed) and it's good to learn the basics, range, warmup, etc. The problem is that once you know the pattern the CPU doesn't change so signicantly that it'll just stuff you out. Take the Street Fighter series for example. The game is designed at a higher where as soon as you attack, the computer will counter attack most of the time. Same thing with the King of Fighter series. If you didn't read my stuff it's your own issue not mine.
They stopped doing the basics is what I'm saying. I'm not asking you to believe me but it's not that hard to comprehend what I'm saying, truth or not.

I looked up all that trolling stuff and I think you guys trolled me by a long shot not the other way around, after all I was pretty much told 'lol you're not doing anything'. I expected nothing less from a forum though, it's cool. You won't break my passion for Brawl again, I've decided I'll just play it for what it is. If I ever join a tournament one day it won't be pretty, but heck it's better than never joining one, heh.

SSS

Smash Ace
I think it'd be cool if we could have a thread in which everybody votes for the top 3 or 5 or so players of any given character and we keep it updated frequently so people can know who to look towards. If this doesn't exist, I would absolutely love to take on this task.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
@USA: That just looked like normal CPU play. It might have been easier to beat them if you were better. They seem hard for you because you are not good.

@SSS: A tried and failed experiment.

BSP

Smash Legend
I know this isn't the appropriate area, but I don't feel like navigating the workshop forum

Can you L cancel in brawl minus, or does everything just auto cancel? I was playing yesterday and it made me wonder.

SoulPech

Smash Master
I have a couple questions about Dash Grabbing:

1) Does it work on all characters?
2) How do you do it?

I've been searching for a vid on it, but none useful. I know the easiest character to tell if you've performed it correctly is Snake. I also heard it's kinda like DACUS, but w/out the upsmash

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
A Dash Grab is just a grab done out of a dash. What you're talking about is usually referred to as a boost grab, which is a dash attack-canceled grab. Works the same way as a DACUS in input, but you do a grab input instead of an Up-Smash input.

SoulPech

Smash Master
what's the input? I have the DACUS down by memory, so I can't learn an input for boost grab. Here's what I do for DACUS:

1) Dash Forward
2) Toggle CS up
3) C-Stick Down
4) Z Button

Can everyone do this?

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
I don't know what CS is..control stick?
If so that's a bad acronym cause it could also easily stand for C-stick lol

But yeah if you use those inputs for DACUS, then the inputs for a boost grab would be the exact same thing except you ignore step 2.

SoulPech

Smash Master
I don't know what CS is..control stick?
If so that's a bad acronym cause it could also easily stand for C-stick lol

But yeah if you use those inputs for DACUS, then the inputs for a boost grab would be the exact same thing except you ignore step 2.
oh sorry. yeah control stick. i abbreiviate CS as control stick and c-stick as c-stick, but I put an input in front of it (i.e c-stick down)

EDIT: WOW I JUST DID IT. I CAN'T BELIEVE I'M THIS DUMB T_T.

How do you do the pivot boost grab? same thing except you put in the opposite direction?

SoulPech

Smash Master
i'm using snake.

maybe i'm not seeing the benefit, but I've always done my pivot grab by dashing the hitting back on the analong stick then grab. what's the benefit?

clowsui

Smash Legend
boost pivot grab gives you additional range

one application of the BPG is that it allows falco to reverse the direction of his CG. the few extra frames added is insignificant except in teh case of marth

SnowCold

Smash Apprentice
Could someone direct me to a thread about the details of MKs tornado? like, at what entry angles is it easier to escape, and which direction i should SDI to escape. If there is no such thread, could someone just tell me? thanks.

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
You can't SDI tornado besides the initial hitbox that pops you up and the final hit of tornado. You can only escape if the MK messes up the trapping.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
IIRC when tornado hasn't hit anything yet, it has a constant hitbox. Not sure if it's true, but that's what I heard.

I assume no one watched the second video where I slaughtered the cpu. :/ Though I don't use OBVIOUS moves which would make it relatively easy, I have a complex. Never use the same move twice. It gets annoying bcz I start using moves that obviously wouldn't work when the cpu's accuracy is at it's highest level. Like using Ness's back-kick vs. Fox's Up-Smash. Though I've been training to actually use that successfully, it can be done. Well anything can, imo.

Here's a fight between me and my brother this past Christmas time. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wn0PkY9AdXc

FEFIZ

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3325-4003-4948
Guys, who won the apex 2008 and 2011 in brawl and melee singles?

Top Bottom