• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Information Compendium & Social

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
For dtilts, hold the stick down just slightly enough to where you're not crouching but still enough to be able to do dtilts. Buffering dtilts this way makes it so crouching doesn't cancel the buffer.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Thanks RPSIvysaur...disappointed though cause I already completely understand the whole 1-frame override with the C-stick as well as why the directional inputs would register a dash, so that entire paragraph was kinda useless considering I still don't know why the A-input is ignored :(

And I don't know how to grab while holding items either :(

As for buffering tilts, I play ZSS and one of her ATs in the DAL (dash attack lock) where buffered dash attacks true combo into each other at certain percents (barring SDI) and also into any buffered tilt of her choice...so I'm used to buffering dash attack --> utilt/dtilt.

In that case, what I do is I push the analog stick all the way up/down BEFORE the buffer window, and then hold it there and press A in the buffer window and the buffered tilt comes out for me...it's not that hard lol.

Didn't even know you could cancel a buffered dtilt with a buffered crouch by pressing down too far.

Oh...and can someone check for me how safe a perfectly auto-cancelled ZSS sourspot (behind her) uair is on hit and on block? I see Salem land with sourspot uairs all the time and he buffers reversed jabs out of them, so it seems pretty safe...but I want to be sure.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
Thanks RPSIvysaur...disappointed though cause I already completely understand the whole 1-frame override with the C-stick as well as why the directional inputs would register a dash, so that entire paragraph was kinda useless considering I still don't know why the A-input is ignored :(
The A input just gets canceled by the dash.

In that case, what I do is I push the analog stick all the way up/down BEFORE the buffer window, and then hold it there and press A in the buffer window and the buffered tilt comes out for me...it's not that hard lol.
This doesn't work with ftilt and dtilt cause they get canceled by walking and crouching.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Oh...and can someone check for me how safe a perfectly auto-cancelled ZSS sourspot (behind her) uair is on hit and on block? I see Salem land with sourspot uairs all the time and he buffers reversed jabs out of them, so it seems pretty safe...but I want to be sure.
-8 on shield from what I'm getting.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
Are you positive?
Cause again, I do this all the time...
Not with ftilt, but I do buffer dtilts quite a bit.
I'm pretty sure. Try doing dthrow>dtilt with DDD against Snake in training. It will only hit if you buffer it or are frame perfect.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
THIS should answer your questions.

Back to back frames are so fun.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
THIS should answer your questions.

Back to back frames are so fun.
It didn't at all. It just went over the fact that by taking advantage of the fact that the C-stick overrides the analog stick's input for 1 frame, you can create a back-to-back-frame scenario in which multiple directions are inputted to buffer a dash. And like I said, I already understand how this works.

And I don't even know why you would want to use that method to buffer a dash/backwards dash out of something when you could just input a dash with the analog stick...it DOES make buffered reverse pivot grabs a lot easier, but I play ZSS...and it DOES buffer a dash out of soft landing lag, but if you read the posts in the thread you'll see that I found that out on my own.

I don't see where it explains why the A input is ignored.

At rPSIvysaur; thanks.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I assume you mean for momentum-canceling. Only certain B-Reverses completely cancel/shift momentum like that. Zelda's Neutral-B has a noticeable effect. Not sure about anyone else.

SoulPech

Smash Master
I assume you mean for momentum-canceling. Only certain B-Reverses completely cancel/shift momentum like that. Zelda's Neutral-B has a noticeable effect. Not sure about anyone else.
if you're referring to reverse B, Diddy's Neutral B would count. In regards to forward B, you have Puff's pound and Wario's bike. IIRC, DK's Up-B far off stage is pretty broken too.

:phone:

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Bike doesn't MC because it's being b-reversed, it's because naturally doing it away from the blastzone causes you to move away from it.

And DK's up-B also has nothing to do with b-reversing, it simply halts all momentum. I don't even know if you CAN b-reverse it.

iirc b-reversing a special doesn't cause much of a difference for the purpose of momentum cancelling outside of Zelda's neutralB (Nayru's Love? Is that what it's called?)

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
It didn't at all. It just went over the fact that by taking advantage of the fact that the C-stick overrides the analog stick's input for 1 frame, you can create a back-to-back-frame scenario in which multiple directions are inputted to buffer a dash. And like I said, I already understand how this works.

And I don't even know why you would want to use that method to buffer a dash/backwards dash out of something when you could just input a dash with the analog stick...it DOES make buffered reverse pivot grabs a lot easier, but I play ZSS...and it DOES buffer a dash out of soft landing lag, but if you read the posts in the thread you'll see that I found that out on my own.

I don't see where it explains why the A input is ignored.

At rPSIvysaur; thanks.
You might have missed the part saying "holding left/right overwrites any buffer," that could explain why the A buffer is ignored when you hold left/right. I migh be wrong though.

To be more clear I'll put it like that :
-You input a move that IASAs on frame X
-On X-1 you input your Cstick while holding your direction
-Back to back frames do their magic so that your analog stick direction is read again by the game one frame after your Cstick input
-Left/right is artificially input on frame X, and then comes the rule that says "holding left/right overwrites any buffer"
-The analog input is read, not the Cstick input.

Also the difference between this technique and the regular dash buffer is that you only need one input to get a continuous dash. It's not better, it's just different (and reducing the number of inputs reduces the number of potential mistakes, but meh).

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
I can't exactly explain why the A input is lost, but if you ask the great Toomai, he might know.

edit: I had the webpage open too long and got ninja'd

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Why yes he did, and yes I did miss the part that said "and buffering mechanics (forward overwriting any buffered input)."

Thanks mister teluotubby.

Paroxium

Smash Cadet

And I don't know how to grab while holding items either :(

As for buffering tilts, I play ZSS and one of her ATs in the DAL (dash attack lock) where buffered dash attacks true combo into each other at certain percents (barring SDI) and also into any buffered tilt of her choice...so I'm used to buffering dash attack --> utilt/dtilt.

Didn't even know you could cancel a buffered dtilt with a buffered crouch by pressing down too far.

Thanks a ton, so much easier than tilting the analog stick just the right amount.

Paroxium

Smash Cadet
I'm pretty sure. Try doing dthrow>dtilt with DDD against Snake in training. It will only hit if you buffer it or are frame perfect.
Youre absolutely right. Good thing I saw your post.

I should probably ask this in the D3 boards, but I'll ask in this q&a thread as well as a thread (if I'm being executed for such blasphemy, I'm sorry :( )

I was trying to do d-throw > buffered dash up smash with d3 on snake, but it looks like it can be blocked. I've tried to do it on the sv platform, but snake is still able to block it. Is it just a pseudo combo? Or does it work on certain chars?

Paroxium

Smash Cadet
Wow I think I'm mentally ill. Just saw the first thread in their forums. I literally face palmed. Sorry.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
My apologies, KPrime (Pikabunz) was correct and I was wrong. Holding down too far on the analog stick and pressing A during the buffer window will cause you to buffer a crouch, unless you hold down on the analog slightly (in which case a dtilt will come out)

I suppose it's the same as trying to buffer an utilt/shuair when you have tap jump on; hold it too far and you'll buffer a JCusmash instead.

Now...a month or two ago I discovered that when using ZSS' neutral B will not only cause it to stale, but it will also stale her sideB and vice-versa.

Just curious (I hope it's not too hard to find this out), is this because neutralB and sideB are registered in the stale move queue as the same move? (ie under 1 entry) or does using 1 cause both of them to enter the stale move queue (takes up 2 slots in the SMQ)?

My curiosity will keep this thread alive and well, it seems:smirk:

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
That zss situation sounds very similar to sonics mechanics.
All versions of sonics side and down bs (starting them in the air, rolling with them on the ground and jumping back into the air) all register as the same move and any hit with any part of them will stall all of them as the same move in the stale move queue.

To answer your question, any one attack can only enter one move in the stale move queue.

Paroxium

Smash Cadet
Is to possible to buffer a jump + up air without tap jump? I can do a buffered side aerial with the c-stick, and I can do a dair with the analog stick as long as I don't hold down far enough to crouch cancel, but I guess I'm JCupsmash-ing when I try uair.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
What is a B-Reversal?
A B-Reversal is when you use a special attack and quickly tap the opposite direction you used it in. This will reverse your momentum, which is why it's called a B-Reversal.

Is to possible to buffer a jump + up air without tap jump? I can do a buffered side aerial with the c-stick, and I can do a dair with the analog stick as long as I don't hold down far enough to crouch cancel, but I guess I'm JCupsmash-ing when I try uair.

Yes. You have to tilt the stick so that way it will not trigger as an up-smash. It takes some practice to get the position of the stick right that you don't up-smash or n-air.

ViperGold42

Smash Lord
Hey its been some time since I've been here, I've gotten so much better at Brawl by playing UMvC3, by getting fingers faster and able to buffer my moves quicker. Try out other fighting games, it really does help.

Paroxium

Smash Cadet
So what happened to the end of impact? I stopped watching after they said they might not get to grand finals

Top Bottom