• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl+ (Competitive Hacks): Codes, Videos, and Discussion (THREAD OUT OF DATE)

zxeon

Smash Lord
Unseen_killa and I played last night for at least a good 2 hours, I'd say, and we only experienced two desyncs. One, all I remember is I was Sonic, and the second one, we were on MK's airship (Halberd?) and I was Olimar... so I think that with a lot of stage interference and Olimar's pikmin, there had to have been some sort of slip-up with data transferring. We were playing with wavedash 2.1, no-trip, and S-canceling.

So, the codes DO work. It's just sometimes they fail, and we need to find out exactly why.

Edit: I JUST realized that I have been torrenting something for a few days now... that PROBABLY would have something to do with connection errors. >__>
Lol, I noticed that desyncs tended to happen after lag spikes

Revven

FrankerZ
At 0:41 in the video, the Link was able to footstool the Falco right after an aerial dodge.
That's fcuking awesome!
Yeah, Phantom Wings left that in there as a way to help get you back to the stage if your opponent happens to be below you. It's a pretty cool "AT" for the Air Dodge. :p

Revven

FrankerZ
Ok, thank you very much. What happens after he air dodges now? I'd try it myself, but I don't have my Wii here at college.
Everybody has the same thing now. Instead of using the 'fallspecial' command, Phantom Wings made it so it was as though you already used your second jump. You can't do anything at all after the air dodge except footstool someone (which is something he left in intentionally as a way for someone to get back to the stage).

Aside from that, you cannot do anything but DI towards the edge or whatever.

zxeon

Smash Lord
Ok, thank you very much. What happens after he air dodges now? I'd try it myself, but I don't have my Wii here at college.
You go to your regular falling animation but all your actions except footstool jump are disabled 'till you land.

Btw guys with no tripping, S-cancel, and WD2.1 we are up to about 115 lines of code

Blad01

Smash Lord
So we really need a name for this format, with :
- Wavedash
- L-Cancel code (not the SC one, too broken)
- No tripping

So we have the choice between :
- Melee 2.0 (I don't like this one much, it doesn't involve Brawl...)
- Brawl, Melee Format (= BMF, or BMV for Brawl, Melee Version)
- Brawl, Modified Format or Brawl, Modified Version (BMF or BMV, same abbreviations)
- Brawl 1.5
- Advance Brawl (i don't like it neither, it means that brawl is not technical AT ALL :s)
- Mel/awl or Br/elee ? XD

Any other ideas ? ^^

Makkun

Smash Journeyman
So we really need a name for this format, with :
- Wavedash
- L-Cancel code (not the SC one, too broken)
- No tripping

So we have the choice between :
- Melee 2.0 (I don't like this one much, it doesn't involve Brawl...)
- Brawl, Melee Format (= BMF, or BMV for Brawl, Melee Version)
- Brawl, Modified Format or Brawl, Modified Version (BMF or BMV, same abbreviations)
- Brawl 1.5
- Advance Brawl (i don't like it neither, it means that brawl is not technical AT ALL :s)
- Mel/awl or Br/elee ? XD

Any other ideas ? ^^
In another thread it seems we are deciding on a name. I really like the name Brawl+... and the group is between TerraSky and Brawl+ Ltd. at the moment. Or so it seems.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Well I think there should be two styles. I personally dont like melee air dodging in brawl. It doesnt seem to fit and wavedashing (as good as it was) seems too superficial than melee. (and maybe cause Im a nunchuck user)

I like
no tripping
L canceling (not s canceling)

Makkun

Smash Journeyman
Well I think there should be two styles. I personally dont like melee air dodging in brawl. It doesnt seem to fit and wavedashing (as good as it was) seems too superficial than melee.

I like
no tripping
L canceling (not s canceling)
I'm sure multiple versions of Brawl+ will be created... If we indeed do get some sort of subforum, it will be easier for users to conjugate and discuss on a universal format.

Edit: Personally I love S-canceling. L-canceling is great too but it needs to be fixed.

zxeon

Smash Lord
You're going about it all wrong. You need more than just vertical speed most characters have crap horizontal speed and that's what's killing their combos. Try running and jumping with Sonic, Fox, or Captain Falcon. These three have a very serious difference between their running speed and jump speed. Do you see it? Now pick up someone like DK, Wolf, Wario, Jigglypuff, or Toon Link. See the difference? We need to actually increase their speed not just the rate of fall.
I hope so... :)
Does anyone know how to make this happen?

Revven

FrankerZ
Me? I love S-Canceling because it makes the game more offensive based than defensive based.

You can no longer shield grab fastfalled aerials because the opponent can roll away immediately or quickly grab you before you grab them. Your shield can quickly die if you S-Cancel too much, that's when you have to quickly change your method of attacking to using smashes more or tilts leading into grabs. S-Canceling isn't too broken because of Brawl's hitstun and physics. If they were more like SSB64, THEN I would agree that it is broken, but, they aren't. The S-Cancel cancels the balance out to an extent and makes heavies an actual threat while making faster characters have to work harder to win (Sonic and Fox for example, although the S-Cancel helps their approaches, if they face a heavy they have a harder time).

I also like the SSBM Air Dodge because of the cool sliding smashes and jabs you can chain together after a ff'd S-Canceled aerial. It's really cool!

Going to post more videos soon too guys, I have a bunch of good ones to show. :)

kupo15

Smash Hero
Idk which of the several threads to post this so anyway:
I need to bring this up for those trying to do this because I believe this is correct.
Between shield cancelling and wavedashing, increasing the overall stun considerably may not really be needed if at all or even be a good idea to create some decent combos. The main problem for good comboing that would need to be addressed is the early airdodging and A attacks the game lets you do before the stun actually finishes on tumble hits (I imagine it's after a certain part in the tumbling animation where it lets you do it).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsF_zFKyvkY

In the video you can see the attacks register as 'Consecutive Hits' even though it hits them after they already started and nearly complete an airdodge. Assuming the consecutive hits counter goes off the stun like it did before, this gives you an idea how much stun there probably would be if you couldn't just dodge or do an A attack in the middle of it anyway if it puts you into a tumble.

The few combos that do exist in the game already, like Sheik's f-tilt lock and such, generally involve weaker/stale hits that don't put you into a tumble, and weak hits that don't knock you down don't allow the early dodging and A attacks (again, the interrupt is linked to the tumble animation) so you actually remain fully stunned and unable to do anything for the stun's entire duration like in the previous games.

Increasing the game's comboing ability could actually be as simple as disabling that one thing, and not just increasing overall stun and then trying to balance it as well which could be a lot of work.

More importantly, only increasing hitstun in general would likely just make the existing weak hit combos even better and create more of those dumb "lol-single-move-spam" type weak hit combos than anything else really, and is compounded by the fact that you can only A/SDI weak hits and can't DI them normally to change the direction you get sent like you can on tumble hits.
The bold I believe basically sums up how I think hitstun would work. If you think about it, in brawl, you are allowed to use your special moves after the tumble and depending on your damage and the move, when you can use the special moves is altered to sooner or later.
So as he said, get rid of the thing that allows you to air dodge and use A moves before the specials.

A possible way to do this is find the timer(if there is one) that allows the air dodge and A moves to be performed after getting hit and replace it with the timer code that allows you to use B moves after getting hit.

I feel strongly that this form of hitstun is the simple solution to not break the game. I wish I knew a thing about this to help you guys out.

I actually saw the vid tut in the USB Gecko page and I think you can apply the same thing to this? Use the pause feature and narrow things down....i really have no clue.....:\

Did anyone figure out the float number of l canceling to change it 64 instant lag cancel if you want to play around with it?

Revven

FrankerZ
Did anyone figure out the float number of l canceling to change it 64 instant lag cancel if you want to play around with it?
Because the L-Cancel code is not like No Tripping (where XXXX is where you place the floating point values) this type of idea will not change the amount of frames the L-Cancel gets rid of nor will it change the amount it'll take to start the cancel. You'd need Phantom Wings to make complete changes to the code or have some other experienced Brawl hacker do it. However, since there aren't very many experienced Brawl hackers (actually, Y.S and Phantom Wings are pretty much it) this won't happen if Phantom Wings is not willing to make any changes to the L-Cancel code.

Using any floating points won't change anything. This is also because the L-Cancel code is not a modifier like the tripping code is.

kupo15

Smash Hero
ahh ok thanks. Well, I am learning the new timing so thats fine and whenever the hitstun code gets made (if it does) then the cut-in-half lag feature will fit better. Ive already seen a positive speed enhancement in gameplay and its quite nice!!

Revven

FrankerZ
I'm just curious of one thing about the L-Cancel code.

How useful is it for moves like DK's Bair where they have little lag to begin with? Is it possible to say, double Bair, L-Cancel the second one and then jump again to do another pair of double Bairs? 'Cause that's part of the reason why I like the S-Cancel code. It cancels his second Bair completely and then I can continue on with another two before my opponent can DI away.

How many frames did the L-Cancel in Melee cut off anyway?

Edit: Three new matches from me with S-Canceling AND Wavedashing. Hope you guys like.

0WN1N (CF) VS. ANTZ! (Link) 1
0WN1N (CF) VS. ANTZ! (Link) 2
0WN1N (CF) VS. ANTZ! (Link) 3 (Not processed yet, should be soon though).

Wind Owl

Smash Lord
If anyone wants to make more videos, I REALLY want to see more Ike and DDD, because they're the ones I'm worried about in terms of balance. Ike can just WoP with Fairs (lol), and he now has GREAT mobility, and DDD can now wavedash for MORE CG nonsense, plus his ridiculous aerials have no lag.

EDIT: I also want to see more aerial to grab abuse, to see if it really is broken.
EDIT2: I guess it should be obvious, but dittos with those characters and those two against each other won't really help.

Makkun

Smash Journeyman
If anyone wants to make more videos, I REALLY want to see more Ike and DDD, because they're the ones I'm worried about in terms of balance. Ike can just WoP with Fairs (lol), and he now has GREAT mobility, and DDD can now wavedash for MORE CG nonsense, plus his ridiculous aerials have no lag.

EDIT: I also want to see more aerial to grab abuse, to see if it really is broken.
I'll be using a lot of DDD and Ike. Hopefully Falco400 will record, if I play with him.

Revven

FrankerZ

EDIT2: I guess it should be obvious, but dittos with those characters and those two against each other won't really help.
Antz and I did a bunch of Ike (me being Ike) vs. Link. And, I DO have to say, Ike is crazy ridiculous with his Fair and Dair. I messed up quite a few times on the WD'ing so, I wasn't able to show off much with it, but wow Ike owns with S-Cancel. Although, we were pretty neck and neck even though he was Link. Maybe I wasn't doing enough of something? I dunno, I was definitely abusing the Fair a ton though.

I should get'em up today or tomorrow depending on how fast I'll be uploading.

We also used DDD a little ourselves, his Dair is sweet and Fair is pretty monstrous. I didn't WD much with DDD unfortunately though. IMO, DK is more broken than Ike or DDD because of his Bair spam.

Top Bottom