• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl-: 1.5-1.6 thread archive. 2.0 is stickied

Status
Not open for further replies.

ss118

Smash Master
OK other than the nair can someone tell me some difference between the 1.0 squirtle and the 1.5 one?

Because from the way people talk about it, Squirtle got nerfed going into 1.5. However, in our 1.5 he is easily top tier still. I feel we have the 1.0 version, so if anyone minds giving me something that's different other than nair(such as a damage reduction on his other moves), then maybe I can tell.

EmuKiller

Smash Ace
EmuKiller?! More like... FREEmuKiller!!!!!!
I didn't know that about marth's forward smash! So far I've just been doing that initial dash -> foxtrot (or whatever it's called when you do a 2nd initial dash after your first and cancel it with a forward smash) -> forward smash. But if marth mains don't mind, that's cool.

More thoughts:

** Man luigi is rough. Does he have absolutely zero landing lag no matter what? Seriously you guys he's tough.

** Some mechanism for popo being able to bring nana back to life? A taunt or what not.

** Are people happy with Marth? he's a character that I really, really want to play but I can't get the feel for. I guess Brawl marth just isn't my play style. I'll try out sliding forward some more.

**Squirtle's changes might just be placebo effect. Being told "he's nerfed" makes him feel worse than he actually is.

ALSO, Are there any other characters that people find "not fun enough"? I feel like there's so many characters in this game that because I have no interest to play I kind of overlook. Pit/Samus/Kirby/Wario/Dedede come to mind. Does anybody main the new Wario? I feel like he's so far out in left field in terms of playstyle. Again, just thoughts.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
OK other than the nair can someone tell me some difference between the 1.0 squirtle and the 1.5 one?

Because from the way people talk about it, Squirtle got nerfed going into 1.5. However, in our 1.5 he is easily top tier still. I feel we have the 1.0 version, so if anyone minds giving me something that's different other than nair(such as a damage reduction on his other moves), then maybe I can tell.

PokeZenigame

-Ftilt: Up-angled trajectory and damage decreased.
-Fsmash: Added a weak hitbox.
-Nair: Waterbox size and damage decreased.
-Fair: Damage reduced by 1.
-Uair: Tip damage reduced by 1.
-Dair: Final hit damage and KBG decreased slightly.

ss118

Smash Master
I can see people very easily maining Pit, Samus, and Kirby. Wario is "so far out in left field", as you put it, and DDD is very one-dimensional, but better than DK about it.

Edit: well can you tell me what the new damage should be? Like did U-air do 7% in 1.0 and get brought down to 6% in 1.5 or what? Is it in training mode or in actual matches(it makes a difference because of the 5% boost to non-stale moves)?

The squirtle we have has no SA on nair. if that means it is 1.5 version then you people need to play better.

EmuKiller

Smash Ace
In my opinion Samus needs a better n-air. Like kill at 90% instead of 150% and have high priority and stun. But maybe that's just because I intuitively use her n-air as a high priority move and it isn't.

Pit is cool. I wish he had more range but eh. That might just be me. But again I don't play as him because I don't find him fun enough. Someone just messaged me on AIM saying they will **** me with Pit so we'll see.

Kirby is balanced, but just boring. Again his transition into brawl minus has not given him any super fun aspect that makes me want to pick him up, while with captain falcon and pikachu and olimar their changes (err... olimar 1.0) were enough for me to say "wow I want to learn these characters".

EDIT: **** isn't censored? That's more offensive than saying "Man I wish **** Clark was still hosting ABC's New Year's Party"

ss118

Smash Master
Kirby can suck up broken other people's moves and use them even better than the actual character's seems fun to me. =)

for pit find the character thread and look at my post.

Samus' nair is more comboing now into dair and other moves than anything else now.

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
Pit is cool. I wish he had more range but eh. That might just be me. But again I don't play as him because I don't find him fun enough. Someone just messaged me on AIM saying they will **** me with Pit so we'll see.
What exactly do mean by 'more range'? I've had quite a few people tell me that he isn't fun enough to actually play as or main. If anyone could tell me, what would make Pit 'cool' but still keep his current playstyle?

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Pit has decent enough range, especially with angelring bull****, which i think is ******** and is way too much of an autocombo starter, but eh.

EmuKiller

Smash Ace
Oh cool! I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks pit wasn't "cool" =-). When I said "more range", I initially was thinking about his forward air, back air, down tilt, and forward tilt but again his close-up range isn't his playstyle so really I'm only saying "more range" because the lack of it (in comparison to other characters) is foreign to me. I'll start brainstorming and shouting out whatever pops into my head:

Faster run speed in general? Longer initial dash? Down-B have a cool use or actual super armor? Can the lasers have a "thicker" hitbox? I really like the hitboxes on his up-B! After messing around with him more that was a lot of fun, and the way the 3rd hit of his jab worked was really awesome too. Was the size of glide attack nerfed or maybe I'm just not used to it? Maybe have two glide attacks? I don't even know what's possible.

I guess the problem is I don't main pit so I can't give good enough advice on how to change him while keeping his playstyle, but in general I'd like if he had more options so different playstyles could coexist. you'd have to talk to pit mains though.

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
Okay, a few things here.

1. Check out the Pit- GD/Guide.
2. Faster initial dash sounds good. I'll see how it fairs out.
3. DownB (Mirror Shield) does have super armor. Watch this video of Pit's major changes in brawl minus.
4. They aren't lasers, they're arrows. If you find it hard to hit with the arrow, you just need to aim better.
5. The glide attack damage is the only thing that was changed about the glide attack.

SideB (Angel Ring) is a good move that can get you to your opponent faster. Shield cancel it and then attack. Another thing to get to your opponent faster is to crouch after running. If you point the control stick properly, Pit will slide quite a distance. It's a great move that you can use to spike someone on the edge. I'll be making a vid of this soon. I hope that this gives you and any other people who don't play Pit- will start to learn how to use him a lot more effectively.

EmuKiller

Smash Ace
"they're not lasers they're arrows"
THEY'RE NOT ARROWS THEY'RE PALUTENA'S ARROWS.

But yeah I agree that I am not looking far enough into Pit's changes to see that he is indeed a good brawl minus character. The issue is not that pit isn't viable, just that the changes aren't flashy enough to keep up with the initial appeal of other characters.

EDIT: Unless you meant to correct me as in they are a destroyable projectile unlike falco, fox, wolf, and ROB. Well now I feel like a total jerk xD

Inferno3044

Smash Master
A character that needs to be buffed is DK. He really isn't broken. He gets a barrel which right now has little to no use, a little more power, an increased grab range, and his UpB can be controlled vertically. You can buff the barrels to be more powerful (maybe have them explode or at least have a chance to explode if they can't already) and make his sideB much quicker.

DtJ SmithZzz

Happy Birthday Kjell
I dunno if anyone has found this out or not and I didn't see a change in between v1.0 and v1.5 but with Ness and Lucas (I'm assuming it is something withe the DJC properties) but when you grab a item, as you're doing your 2nd jump, you'll float in the air and you can go left and right without falling, you just..float. You can do moves out of it and get hit out of it, but is it intentional, or not?

Revven

FrankerZ
They already have a chance to explode, it's just really rare (because it's an item afterall). If you alter the barrel, you're also altering item play so... dunno if the dev team will mess with the barrel's properties or not.

Edit: Smithh, that glitch is known and it's not intentional. There's already a way to fix it but, it makes DJCs feel different in performing them. I think shanus has a different fix though but idk.

DtJ SmithZzz

Happy Birthday Kjell
Oh alright. I never said anything til the update because it wasn't removed, but if it makes DJC different, I wouldn't really worry about til theres a better fix.

iLink

Smash Champion
After playing this extensively, I have come to a few conclusions:

Pikachu is really ****ing good. Usmash KO's way too easily IMO.

Bowser is really gay in doubles.

@TKbreezy

Follow me on Twitter!
NNID
TKbreezy
aight after playing 1.0 again at a smashfest

i realized the only thing i really miss about squirtle is the range of his Fsmash

**** sucks now...

also did you guys change the range on Warios Fsmash? because if not thats jus ****ed up to change squirts and not warios...also I'm getting in that backroom...lol

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
Wario's is relatively weak. Squirtle's killed at 70% on some characters. I figured you'd appreciate kill power over momentum?

ss118

Smash Master
His f-smash is still really good. It does a lot of shield damage, lasts a long time, and goes a decent distance. Add to the fact that you can hit sweetspotters with it and have Super Armor makes it a very good move. Did I mention it was powerful?

Sure it might not be the best idea to spam the move. But any decent player will find numerous opportunities to just throw it out there and apply pressure(potentially ending in a shield break or death to the opponent).

Can Peach have a better double jump? If she gets spiked at any angle it's instant death, and even link has an easier time with it.

Some characters just seem.... bad, no matter which way you toss it. DK is by far the worst, imo, followed potentially by Olimar. Mario I'm still finding difficult to grasp. I feel Jigglypuff would feel a bit more fair if she just.... died early. It's bad enough she has a move that kills you up through the top and heals herself 20%: but with good DI she can live easily to ~110%, and seeing as hard as it is to get a hit in the first place.

Shiek is by far the best character: and if nothing else it is because of her fast-*** walk with her ****ed f-tilt. Can follow any DI till around 50%, then she u-tilts for a little and uses a weak u-air into a nair into a fair. And if mess up: just needle spam till they come to you, space f-tilts to avoid shield grabs, f-throw into fair or b-throw into bair(whichever is less "stale"), and just f-tilt and fair till they die. Give her a slower walking speed and more knockback on f-tilt/ u-tilt would be nice.

NNID
Budget_Player
Wario's was unchanged. I'm not sure why squirtle's was nerfed, except maybe that the biggest differences between wario's and squirtle's are:
-One has super armor during the whole ****ing thing, the other only during the start
-One kills reasonably well throughout the full duration, the other only during the sweetspot

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
It doesn't have super armor. Not even heavy armor.

DK isn't worse, I just don't think you know how to play him. Oli isn't bad either, he's just strange.

ss118

Smash Master
It feels liked it has SA. XD

DK isn't bad, I'm sure. But other than approaching with bair/grabs/barrels, using throw combos, finishing opponents with charged Bs, and with spacing tilts/smashes/random stuff in between, what else is there to him?

That's not an insult or anything sarcastic, either: I would LOVE to be playing him completely wrong and for you(or anyone) to tell me precisely how to play him. The problem is, I don't think I'm playing him wrong: I used DK in melee where he played a similar style, and I watch Brawl DKs so I know the playstyle transition. He just can't keep up to speed with other characters: since him, ganon, bowser, and DDD are the "heavy" characters, and the other three already have certain characteristics that seperate them(Bowser is a general **** you tank, Ganon is a powerhouse x 10, and DDD is completely **** ground game with a decent air one), maybe DK can be the aerial menace? Like give him the ability to SH triple bair, and bring back his fair from the N64 version. And then something with nair. Maybe multiple hits with IASA like zelda's or something.

Just a thought.

@TKbreezy

Follow me on Twitter!
NNID
TKbreezy
well through playing 1.0...even if it has super armor through the whole thing...it still had that slide at the end and people would capitilize on that slide if I spaced an fsmash wrong by just grabbing it

and LOL breaking shields...shield breaker combos were null and void when they scaled back the shield stun

and factor in warios other smashes and kill options and i would have to say he doesnt need a squirtle powered fsmash.

now before you start saying Squirtle has amazing kill options...I'm not denying that he doesnt

but his smashers are completely situational upsmash has notable start up and Dsmash...its so LOL...like if you dont hit with the beginning of it, it doesnt have knockback (shellshift dsmash kill though is the business)

all and all I probably just gotta get used to new squirtle but...I do want that shield stun back...shield breaker combos were to good...and also it promoted more agressive fighting knowing that everything you do won't get shield grabbed.

btw guys if Zak is up for it we will stream some brawl- if you guys wanna see some stuff later on today

Zucco

Smash Master
I would like to see some of md/va's brawl- skill so get that stream up!

@TKbreezy

Follow me on Twitter!
NNID
TKbreezy
ZAKs SUCH A *****

Can't stream because he decided to go do something AT 5:45....I'm not gonna play computers...thats dumb

sorry guys...

heety9

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, I was just having a problem installing it. I used the normal method shown smashmods, but when I play, it seems that very few things are changed. The only noticable changes are the shield color and the online waiting room replacing New Pork City. I'm pretty sure I followed the instructions, but very few things are changed. Am I doing something wrong?
Thanks a lot.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
sounds like only the codes are working for you. using geckoOS? try deleting everything in your pf folder and redoing it

heety9

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the quick response.
Yeah, I'm using geckoOS, but what's a pf folder? The only folder I have is called Gecko1931 and it has "boot.elf", "icon", and "meta".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom