• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl-: 1.5-1.6 thread archive. 2.0 is stickied

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vermy

Smash Champion
http://www.mediafire.com/?n30yhzn2ktz - Brawl Minus... Official Release v1.0 -- Saturday, March 27th, 2010. (Will put up a DDL mirror soon)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/mxnnnzljo4y/RSBE01SS.gct - Stack Smash (no homebrew) compatible GCT. Has disable custom stages code. Just replace the GCT in codes with it (make sure to rename it).
The first link won't allow download, but if I have the gct and replace my current NTSC brawl gct with it, will that work?

Vermy

Smash Champion
Holy balls this game is effing amazing. You guys need a nobel peace prize for this sh*t, honestly.

I am in love with Jigglypuff.

I like what you did with PT, but Ivy could use a lil somethin' somethin'. Maybe make her dair push her up? Spam dair for recovery?

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
We have some cool stuff for ivysaur in the next release.

SpaceWaste7

Smash Rookie
Is there any way to get this to work with Riivolution? I lost my hacks about a month ago and couldn't bother to try to get them back until now, and I'm very confused on how Riivolution works...

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
I can hook you up with my XML. Tson gave it to me, so let's see if he links you first. If not, I'll give you a working one.

NatP

Smash Ace
Hey so I finally got brawl- to work (I just needed to add those character pacs) and there's only one problem. There is no voice at all. Only music and sfx. Gameplay wise its great but its kinda annoying playing hearing stuff like falcon punch or g&ws beeps. :/

Nakihito

Smash Rookie
Anyone with a friend who can DI wanna help me confirm that marth sideB1->dtilt is a true combo 100% of the time?
I played a lot of Marth today and I personally couldn't get it to combo (or didn't notice), albeit I wasn't too focused on trying to get it to work. It doesn't seem like it would be that important considering all his other combos and set ups.

Two questions after playing today:

Why is there so much hit lag on Dolphin Slash? With all the shield stun, its as useful as in vBrawl. There aren't really any situations where you'd be surprised by a sudden DS and be unable to DI correctly.

Are Fox's lasers supposed to be able to (nearly) break shields when fired rapidly?

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
I played a lot of Marth today and I personally couldn't get it to combo (or didn't notice), albeit I wasn't too focused on trying to get it to work. It doesn't seem like it would be that important considering all his other combos and set ups.

Two questions after playing today:

Why is there so much hit lag on Dolphin Slash? With all the shield stun, its as useful as in vBrawl. There aren't really any situations where you'd be surprised by a sudden DS and be unable to DI correctly.

Are Fox's lasers supposed to be able to (nearly) break shields when fired rapidly?
Fox's lasers are supposed to be like that. Just ISSDI them :D

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
So, I played at MLG Columbus with Coney, who won a tournament in MD/VA with Luigi, and TearBear (placed top 8 at MLG) who won one in SoCal with R.O.B and I think Zelda. I went slightly under even with those two, and consistently beat all the other players most of the time with different character.

Zelda is pretty good, but she's definitely not as broken as exaggerated before. Ness is also very good, I have to test him more.

I personally main Falco and Ganon, with a Marth and GnW secondary, though I can play a lot of characters in the game.

So far, I haven't seen anything so broken, I cannot defeat it. I do not play Bowser, and I can beat Bowser with most of the characters I use.

MK is not underpowered.

I really would rather a live conversation over making a stupidly long post to talk about my thoughts on the game. I talk to Kirk periodically, but let me know if there's a chat or something if you want intensive feedback. So far, so good though.

Coney

Smash Master
i'm terrible with skype so i'm just gonna go ahead and mention this here;

TK and i were talking recently, and i overheard that one of brawl-'s new updates is going to add some stuff from other fighters...specifically, baroque and mega crash.

i'd just like to respectfully say that if this were to happen, i and most of the md/va brawl- community would probably stop playing. i mean, i love this game to death, but i also know what it is and what it isn't...what the developers need to do now, in my opinion, isn't bring in extra elements from other fighters, or introduce brand new features or attributes, ESPECIALLY ones completely alien to smash.

what you guys have created here is an honest-to-God GEM, please don't oversaturate it. do what you would normally do to a gem: polish it. fix up some characters, maybe change bowser, make olimar fun (lol), just develop the base that you have instead of introduce new stuff. i honestly think that's all minus needs now, basic tweaking. and more mainstream attention, of course.

if i'm misinformed then, uh, just take this rant as a love letter to the developers!

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
So far, I haven't seen anything so broken, I cannot defeat it. I do not play Bowser, and I can beat Bowser with most of the characters I use.
i'd say we are doing a good job at balancing if you think that. our goal isnt to make a few guys broken and undefeatable, just to buff everybody and make it awesome. kind of.

we did have a megacrash in for one of the test builds, but it was buggy and stuff, so we took it out. dont worry about it, i dont think we are putting it back in.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Yes i'm putting a few up soon.

Here's what I got from Phase 9 - Brawl Minus - Grand Finals.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Moss7dffwB4&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Moss7dffwB4&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Or: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Moss7dffwB4

Bonus Vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Wytst-ohUM

NNID
Budget_Player
i'm terrible with skype so i'm just gonna go ahead and mention this here;

TK and i were talking recently, and i overheard that one of brawl-'s new updates is going to add some stuff from other fighters...specifically, baroque and mega crash.

i'd just like to respectfully say that if this were to happen, i and most of the md/va brawl- community would probably stop playing. i mean, i love this game to death, but i also know what it is and what it isn't...what the developers need to do now, in my opinion, isn't bring in extra elements from other fighters, or introduce brand new features or attributes, ESPECIALLY ones completely alien to smash.

what you guys have created here is an honest-to-God GEM, please don't oversaturate it. do what you would normally do to a gem: polish it. fix up some characters, maybe change bowser, make olimar fun (lol), just develop the base that you have instead of introduce new stuff. i honestly think that's all minus needs now, basic tweaking. and more mainstream attention, of course.

if i'm misinformed then, uh, just take this rant as a love letter to the developers!
Valid complaints. However, my immediate knee-jerk response is:
A) If you are against large changes, you are probably in the wrong place and looking for BBrawl
B) Megacrash is ridiculously awesome and baroque is not coded yet
C) Neither is going to be in the next open release
D) Even though that's the case, if you guys are that worried about them, you may not like 1.5 (the next open release)... We got crazier. Way crazier.

Yes i'm putting a few up soon.

Here's what I got from Phase 9 - Brawl Minus - Grand Finals.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Moss7dffwB4&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Moss7dffwB4&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Or: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Moss7dffwB4

Bonus Vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Wytst-ohUM
Good **** Zac. :D

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
FYI, I'm very upset with Ness atm. His fair should NOT be as powerful as it is. It has insane range and priority (better than my bair), cannot be SDIed (unlike my bair), and his enormous hitstun (as seen in video).

This ness player was brand new to brawl minus... and he 4 stocked me twice in winners bracket. I could not touch him. All he did was spam fair and PK Fire (which btw is ******** at how it keeps you trapped in). This angers me a good bit cause I've spent countless hours playing brawl minus with G&W and PT... and yet was helpless against him.

I understand you guess try to make characters as broken as possible, but like last time (the problem with warios fsmash) you made some adjustments. I'm asking that you consider fixing ness's fair.

Revven

FrankerZ
Zac, what you described sounds exactly like how Ness was in B+ 5.0. Except here he's much worse (as in, he's more broken). I just watched that Lucario vs Ness friendly and that last combo? Ridiculous. Last I checked, no one else can chain three Fairs across the stage into a Uair, not even Falcon can do that, the difference with his Fair though is that it's actually punishable and can be avoided. Ness's Fair? With increased range and little SDIability? Good luck with that.

To the B- team I say this: nerf Ness. kthxbi.

Wiscus

(◕ω◕✿)
3DS FC
3840-5663-0679
Is sometime in the near future this week?!

I go out of lurk mode only to spam or annoy.

Coney

Smash Master
Valid complaints. However, my immediate knee-jerk response is:
A) If you are against large changes, you are probably in the wrong place and looking for BBrawl
B) Megacrash is ridiculously awesome and baroque is not coded yet
C) Neither is going to be in the next open release
D) Even though that's the case, if you guys are that worried about them, you may not like 1.5 (the next open release)... We got crazier. Way crazier.
well i know what i want; i've been playing brawl minus since its release way back when. i genuinely love the idea of the project and what you guys have done so far. crazy characters and ridiculous moves and whatever is fine, i'm just against adding things from other fighters, or things alien to smash.

i wouldn't care if snake's utilt expanded half the stage and set off a fountain of mortars in front of him; it'd be ridiculous and potentially overpowered, but awesome. i dunno, even adding in supers or something would be fine. but the idea of adding something like megacrashes irks me in a way i can't explain. i mean, you guys are gonna do what you're gonna do, and i'll still try it out regardless, but the reason i stopped playing brawl plus is because they developed too far out of their comfort zone and began to add in too much unnecessary stuff. i just don't want to happen with this game too, especially since it holds a much bigger part of my heart than plus did.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Coney, believe me when I say. I am one of the people that is the most against adding excessive gimmicks to the game. (Hell thats pretty much my complaint in the skype chat all the time.) However, the Megacrash is really awesome and adds a lot to the game. it isn't super gimmicky.

The Minus team has it right.

ksizl4life

Smash Hero
I heard you guys think Ness is the best and not Luigi, Pikachu, and Yoshi.

lol ya crazy. People really need to explore this game first before they give judgment on it.

Bleck

Smash Master
King Dedede is the best character.

Or at least, he is when I'm playing.

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
I heard you guys think Ness is the best and not Luigi, Pikachu, and Yoshi.

lol ya crazy. People really need to explore this game first before they give judgment on it.
By them I hope you are meaning me. It was an initial tier list I came up with based on tourney results from CO, NM, TX, and UT. Alongside friendlies and what not. I mostly did it to get a list made so we could start having progress. Prior to that list we had nothing. Now they are making progress.

ksizl4life

Smash Hero
By them I hope you are meaning me. It was an initial tier list I came up with based on tourney results from CO, NM, TX, and UT. Alongside friendlies and what not. I mostly did it to get a list made so we could start having progress. Prior to that list we had nothing. Now they are making progress.
i didnt say "them" in my post once, broski. and there was a tourney in nj with a pikachu winning on may 15th

NNID
Budget_Player
FYI, I'm very upset with Ness atm. His fair should NOT be as powerful as it is. It has insane range and priority (better than my bair), cannot be SDIed (unlike my bair), and his enormous hitstun (as seen in video).

This ness player was brand new to brawl minus... and he 4 stocked me twice in winners bracket. I could not touch him. All he did was spam fair and PK Fire (which btw is ******** at how it keeps you trapped in). This angers me a good bit cause I've spent countless hours playing brawl minus with G&W and PT... and yet was helpless against him.

I understand you guess try to make characters as broken as possible, but like last time (the problem with warios fsmash) you made some adjustments. I'm asking that you consider fixing ness's fair.
It's being looked into. Fair is pretty insane, it's also kinda all that ness has.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Zac, GnW really has no need to be using that much Bair. Use Fair a lot more. It's virtually lagless now. I think it's IASA is BEFORE the hitbox actually goes away. Also, more Brawl Nair for damage and Melee Nair for combo end or protection. And WAY more dtilt out of Dash. It's safe as hell on block.

Like, I see what you're getting at with Ness, but you played far from a flawless game for me to immediately hop on your bandwagon. Utilt is way more amazing, allowing you to do a lot of auto-juggles, and you can do it out of a dash, setting up for easy judges, smashes, or air combos. Dash Dancing is also helpful, and you can also just hit Ness off the stage, and still bucket PKT, though I believe he can use it again. Uair juggling is great for wracking up free damage. Dash Attack is also really good for setting up opponents, and often leads into a grab, utilt out of dash (hard to do) or tech chase. I'm very surprised that you didn't use more judgement tech chasing.

I like your tech chase Dair game, and your chef game. You're stronger than me in both those points. I appreciate your anti-air UpB, but I would advise trying out Utilt now that it's buffed. Utilt and Fair are really, really good. Like seriously, just go and spam Fair mad times as fast as you can, and you'll see how good it is. Since it deals base 16% you can even just combo BOWSER with it. I almost never use Bair anymore, it's just not as good IMO.

I also didn't see you use GnW's angled Fsmash, which is an AMAZING edgeguard, and covers MAD options.

Even though I feel like the GnW in the video did not perform to capacity, I would still have to agree that Ness' bthrow be nerfed a little. You mad that move really quite silly. KO at 80% with DI, and THIS much shield stun in the game? LOL. I understand GnW is light, but sheesh.

Lastly, my Falco eats Ness, since I have the laser game to slow Fairs, and then Shine to start a combo. Falco is so GOOD!

Bajisci, I used to think Yoshi was mad broken too. Now I've concluded, Yoshi is still mad ****ing broken. There's only like 2 characters in the whole cast (Puff and GnW I think) that can escape Grab to Uair, and chaining Uairs off the top of the screen is the STUPIDEST **** EVER. I get so mad, especially since they put extra hit lag on the Uair when you sweetspot. Because of that, it's easy as **** to read the DI of the opponent, and with Yoshi's broken mobility, he can follow your DI on reaction EASILY. I like the combo system, because you can DI and get out of stuff, and even when you're getting comboed, when you use some clutch DI mix-ups, and tech in a tricky way, you feel accomplished, even on defense. But against Yoshi, you literally have no hope once you get launched. His Nair sets up for the Uair, he has a grab with set knockback (broken) and egg roll is silly, allowing him to do hyper approaches, or crazy *** fakeouts. His eggs are just annoying, not really broken. Coupling this with the fact that he has an airgrab, he's starting to get just a little silly.

As Marth, all I do is camp my brother's Yoshi the WHOLE MATCH, mad hard. If he grabs me once, or uses one of his many set-ups, it's Uair, Uair, Uair dead. I've died at like 40% from this nonsense. It's really annoying.

I can still win against my Bro's Yoshi with most of my characters, so I don't think he's broken yet. I find that in this game, most of the time, unless the MU is pitiful, the characters have enough options so that you can win with skill. However, instead of nerfing Yoshi, can you just remove all the hitlag on his tipper Uair, so that he has to correctly read the way you DI, instead of just getting a free death combo?

Zelda is still fun, and so is Sheik.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Thanks for the tips Pierce, but I think I can manage. I was playing poorly in that video because Grand Finals for Brawl Minus happened RIGHT after Grand Finals for Brawl Singles. I had just finished playing 8 games straight with Infinity (super defensive MK). I put a lot of thought and conditioning and spacing into that matchup, its really hard ya know.

With that said, I knew going into GF of Brawl Minus was going to be hard. My spacing and timing felt way off. You can see I miss an easy dair (ground spike) -> upsmash combo simply because i forgot my character was too fast. Oh, and it didn't help that Awestin had spent the whole time waiting by playing Brawl Minus friendlies, getting used to his ness.

Bair is good for spacing. You are right in telling me that it's not as good in Brawl Minus as other moves... but tell me... what move reaches further or has a better chance of outspacing a fair spammy ness. Fair IASA frames are hard to get used to after Brawl Singles. Brawl Nair I know about good and well, but it doesn't seem to apply as much hit stun as other options.

Other moves: You really don't have to explain how these moves work xD I'm so used to my character. I see tons of options when I'm playing at my prime. You can ask all the Dallas folks, they are FIRM believers that G&W is the best character in Brawl Minus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom