• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

'Brave' New Character (datamined)

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
VeggieBurger said so.

The Grinch Leak wasn't enough to teach us I guess.
Except the insiders were vehemently against the Grinch leak. It's not a comparable situation. There was only one source for the Grinch Leak, there's multiple for Erdrick.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Except the insiders were vehemently against the Grinch leak. It's not a comparable situation. There was only one source for the Grinch Leak, there's multiple for Erdrick.
As far as I know, a lot of supposed insiders claimed characters from the grinch leak after it popped up. Verge was one of the only ones that stuck to his guns and said differently.

I'm actually wondering now, what did some of the ones talking about erdrick now say back then?

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
As far as I know, a lot of supposed insiders claimed characters from the grinch leak after it popped up. Verge was one of the only ones that stuck to his guns and said differently.

I'm actually wondering now, what did some of the ones talking about erdrick now say back then?
GameXplain, several Resetera insiders, Imran Khan as well as Vergeben are the ones that come to my head about insiders saying the Grinch Leak was fake.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
GameXplain, several Resetera insiders, Imran Khan as well as Vergeben are the ones that come to my head about insiders saying the Grinch Leak was fake.
I meant, do any of those have inside information about erdrick? All I've seen is talk about the usual leak and the 'brave' name, etc.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
I meant, do any of those have inside information about erdrick? All I've seen is talk about the usual leak and the 'brave' name, etc.
Tansut mentioned that they apparently have male and female alts, but couldn't confirm anything else about the rumors.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Tansut mentioned that they apparently have male and female alts, but couldn't confirm anything else about the rumors.
Right,. And he confirms the male/female bit too.
I kind of hope the rest of the leak isn't true, but we know there's at least him going with the claim for erdrick.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Business hours, I guess?
I'd give it at least a few more hours.
But really the whole next 12 hours is game, I feel.
Well, turns out absolutely bupkis happened besides this:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...uper_smash_bros_series_over_the_past_20_years

So really, the waiting game still continues for February.

Right,. And he confirms the male/female bit too.
I kind of hope the rest of the leak isn't true, but we know there's at least him going with the claim for erdrick.
In any case, something still doesn't add up, since the second character is around Ness' height and female Eddy never existed in the original version of DQIII, so if he's in there he may not be the second character. This is probably a case of the info being half-real and half-fake.

Last edited:

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
In any case, something still doesn't add up, since the second character is around Ness' height and female Eddy never existed in the original version of DQIII, so if he's in there he may not be the second character. This is probably a case of the info being half-real and half-fake.
I mean if they wanted to add a female version while using the smaller Erdrick design it wouldn't be impossible to add.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I mean if they wanted to add a female version while using the smaller Erdrick design it wouldn't be impossible to add.
I just find it weird, is all. It's not too often you get special designs made specifically for Smash. *coughcough*:ultroy:*coughcough*

Hopefully this entire situation gets cleared up by the time PP becomes downloadable. No one can grasp the true form of Brave right now.

Last edited:

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
I just find it weird, is all. It's not too often you get special designs made specifically for Smash. *coughcough*:ultroy:*coughcough*

Hopefully this entire situation gets cleared up by the time PP becomes downloadable. No one can grasp the true form of Brave right now.
No but we've already seen they do put some real effort into the DLC since Cloud, Corrin, and Bayonetta all got alternate costumes so if there was going to be a place where they go the extra mile DLC would be it.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
No but we've already seen they do put some real effort into the DLC since Cloud, Corrin, and Bayonetta all got alternate costumes so if there was going to be a place where they go the extra mile DLC would be it.
Seems fair. On the topic of alts, the 5Chan leak claimed Anlucia and Luminary, yet Tansut said girl Eddy. Before long we'll see who's right and who's wrong.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Seems fair. On the topic of alts, the 5Chan leak claimed Anlucia and Luminary, yet Tansut said girl Eddy. Before long we'll see who's right and who's wrong.
Oh I agree, and I don't say anything about a female Erdrick to support leakers just that its possible and even likely if Erdrick is selected. But you're right someone is going to be wrong here.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
There have been several designs made specifically for Smash. I mean... Dark Toon Link was never a thing, to the extent of my knowledge... right?

I can see Toriyama eagerly providing Sakurai with a fresh take on whatever character they need. He's not terribly hard to work with. He's done new characters for games such as Xenoverse, and now Jump Force getting 3 villains designed by him.

Also, when did we start believing that Erdrick Male/Female directly opposes Luminary/Analucia?
Though if I had to choose which one is more likely, I'd say Male/Female Erdrick is more likely than Luminary/Analucia as a combo because... well.... Analucia? She's gotten WAY more popular than the male DQX main character, but I don't know... can't see that happening tbh. Wouldn't complain though.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
There have been several designs made specifically for Smash. I mean... Dark Toon Link was never a thing, to the extent of my knowledge... right?
Nah it was in Spirit Tracks already.

Also, when did we start believing that Erdrick Male/Female directly opposes Luminary/Analucia?
Though if I had to choose which one is more likely, I'd say Male/Female Erdrick is more likely than Luminary/Analucia as a combo because... well.... Analucia? She's gotten WAY more popular than the male DQX main character, but I don't know... can't see that happening tbh. Wouldn't complain though.
I think it's one of those things were it just doesn't add up, not that it's impossible.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I think that they would use adult Erdrick over kid Erdrick because adult Erdrick is more iconic.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
And the Grinch Leak had a thousand times more effort put into it than literally anything these hundreds of attention craving "insiders" have ever "leaked" and it was still all just a sham in the end.

I'm just saying don't go acting like anything is 100% confirmed just yet. Seeing all these people being so sure the character after Joker is Erdrick only makes me wonder what'll happen if it ends up not being him.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I said it in another thread before. But just because the insiders were against the Grinch leak doesn't mean that makes them credible. It was foolish for a lot of us to assume 6 new reveals would happen in a month after Sakurai said expect a slowdown. So to them it would be a no brainier to deny it. Plenty of people did.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

While I agree that the "insiders" are annoying some times, many have a good record of leaking things. So while its fine not agreeing 100% with them, I would say its premature to dismiss them completely just going by past experience, and for most of the times, I can assure that people go against them when its something they don't want to hear.

Plus if I recall correctly, I don't think there is anyone saying when Erdrick is coming (Tansut for example added to not expect a reveal soon) and that's only the assumption due to the brave codename.

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord
If Brave turns out to be literally anyone other than Erdrick, more than 80% of the "leaks" out there will be automatically confirmed fake. Which would be a good way of teaching people to start ignoring leaks and stop getting their expectations too high. I have nothing against Erdrick, but seeing people being so sure that he's going to be in to the point that they argue if you ever bring the possibility of any other character being in, makes me wish that it turns out to be someone else.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
And the Grinch Leak had a thousand times more effort put into it than literally anything these hundreds of attention craving "insiders" have ever "leaked" and it was still all just a sham in the end.

I'm just saying don't go acting like anything is 100% confirmed just yet. Seeing all these people being so sure the character after Joker is Erdrick only makes me wonder what'll happen if it ends up not being him.
If Brave turns out to be literally anyone other than Erdrick, more than 80% of the "leaks" out there will be automatically confirmed fake. Which would be a good way of teaching people to start ignoring leaks and stop getting their expectations too high. I have nothing against Erdrick, but seeing people being so sure that he's going to be in to the point that they argue if you ever bring the possibility of any other character being in, makes me wish that it turns out to be someone else.
I'm fully expecting that possibility. It could be such a curveball that not even the umpire saw coming.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I'm still not a 100% sure. Heck, 90% would still be a stretch.

If Erdrick doesn't get in, at least I have Dai in Jump Force. :)

I'm also 50/50 on Erdrick being Brave, mostly due to the size. (Then again, he could be bending his knees as Fighting pose, but that's Even more unlikely).

Last edited:

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord
I'm still not a 100% sure. Heck, 90% would still be a stretch.

If Erdrick doesn't get in, at least I have Dai in Jump Force. :)

I'm also 50/50 on Erdrick being Brave, mostly due to the size. (Then again, he could be bending his knees as Fighting pose, but that's Even more unlikely).
A lot of characters take this stance while fighting, it's a very common stance for swordfighters. Just look at Link and Cloud for example. I still believe the most important piece of information we got about Brave is their movement. Floaty and with a slide. Mostly because this slide is a very rare feature.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Could it be possible the parameters for Brave are just placeholders that will be changed along in development? I don't expect Brave is anywhere close to being finished, and for all we know they've barely done much work with them as Joker is still a long ways off from release.

That being said, while I think Erdrick is probably playable, I doubt he's Brave as well.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Could it be possible the parameters for Brave are just placeholders that will be changed along in development? I don't expect Brave is anywhere close to being finished, and for all we know they've barely done much work with them as Joker is still a long ways off from release.

That being said, while I think Erdrick is probably playable, I doubt he's Brave as well.
Ehh I personally don't think so because if they were so temporary that they could all change then why would they bother adding them at all? A slight change here or there could be chalked up to balance changes (PP is too slow, buff his speed) but a complete rework of all the stats seems pretty unlikely. I mean they don't have the stats for the other 3 unknowns so its not like they absolutely had to have those numbers in if they weren't ready.

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord
Ehh I personally don't think so because if they were so temporary that they could all change then why would they bother adding them at all? A slight change here or there could be chalked up to balance changes (PP is too slow, buff his speed) but a complete rework of all the stats seems pretty unlikely. I mean they don't have the stats for the other 3 unknowns so its not like they absolutely had to have those numbers in if they weren't ready.
I could see they changing the height since Brave probably didn't have a model ready at the time, so they just used it as a placeholder. But for stuff like the speed and movement in general, I think they already had some idea of how they would play so they added something close to what they imagined, maybe some adjustments like you said can be made when they focus more on them.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
I could see they changing the height since Brave probably didn't have a model ready at the time, so they just used it as a placeholder. But for stuff like the speed and movement in general, I think they already had some idea of how they would play so they added something close to what they imagined, maybe some adjustments like you said can be made when they focus more on them.
Even then I don't see that changing much, I'm guessing they had an idea of the size they are aiming for and that number is it.

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord
Even then I don't see that changing much, I'm guessing they had an idea of the size they are aiming for and that number is it.
I could still see the size changing a little bit, like making it close to Mario's height, which is already pretty close to Ness's and Lucas's. Some very small changes like increasing the height value by 1 or 2. But nothing higher than that.

Jboy1010

Smash Cadet
I think that it might be Yuri more than anything, considering the circumstances of tales representation in smash it would be fitting. (Though I pray for the keyblade boy)

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
A lot of characters take this stance while fighting, it's a very common stance for swordfighters. Just look at Link and Cloud for example. I still believe the most important piece of information we got about Brave is their movement. Floaty and with a slide. Mostly because this slide is a very rare feature.
Yeah, that's why if I were to believe Erdrick was Brave, then I'm betting on taller Erdrick with a radical pose, rather than kid Erdrick.

It's possible, but I Guess we will find out on the next episode of Data Mine Z.

Seriously, it's the only thing I'm looking forward to in PP's inclusion.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Well, turns out absolutely bupkis happened besides this:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...uper_smash_bros_series_over_the_past_20_years

So really, the waiting game still continues for February.

I agree there's something off with either the leak, the order, or the stats,
but you could pick male or female since the NES version, btw

(copied at 2:05 so you could see)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I agree there's something off with either the leak, the order, or the stats,
but you could pick male or female since the NES version, btw

(copied at 2:05 so you could see)
Good eye, most people have missed this part.

Also, there's a chance something in the stats was done intentionally to throw off people, but the chances of that happening are puny.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It's also possible that the leaker knew some good info, and that 2 or 3 of the characters happen to be right (maybe he even made strategic guesses based on what he knew), but 50% or more could be wrong.

My concern is that if Erdrick ends up being right, that people start believing the rest of the leak just because it got them and joker :/

To be fair, verge did talk about minecraft content, so steve may be possible too (though I'd rather the slot go to someone else.)

Last edited:

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord
It's also possible that the leaker knew some good info, and that 2 or 3 of the characters happen to be right (maybe he even made strategic guesses based on what he knew), but 50% or more could be wrong.

My concern is that if Erdrick ends up being right, that people start believing the rest of the leak just because it got them and joker :/

To be fair, verge did talk about minecraft content, so steve may be possible too (though I'd rather the slot go to someone else.)
I still hope the Minecraft content turns out to be a stage builder instead of a character. Minecraft IS known for building, so having it in the game as a form of Stage Builder would both make sense and would save a slot for more interesting fighters. If it's not, I hope it's anything else other than a character.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I have a hunch that Brave is Viewtiful Joe.

Floaty? ✓
Heavy? ...could be? ✓
Short? ✓
Zoner? Definitely ✓✓✓
Slippery? For dramatic dashes and such? ✓
"Brave" he's a superhero, superheroes are Brave. ✓

I know 4 Capcom reps is pushing it, especially when MH and RE are much bigger names. But hey! I'm just looking at the current stats.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I still hope the Minecraft content turns out to be a stage builder instead of a character. Minecraft IS known for building, so having it in the game as a form of Stage Builder would both make sense and would save a slot for more interesting fighters. If it's not, I hope it's anything else other than a character.
*ahem*
:ultisabelle::ultpiranha::ultrob::ultvillager::ultvillagerf::ultwiifittrainer::ultwiifittrainerm:

Last edited by a moderator:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
How would that be promoted as DLC?

Steve is a action hero that goes around and kills monsters though, so he doesn't quite fit the goofball criteria. :4pacman:

In any case, given his track record at trying to find any Minecraft content coming, Verge will probably end up being wrong about that overall.

I have a hunch that Brave is Viewtiful Joe.

Floaty? ✓
Heavy? ...could be? ✓
Short? ✓
Zoner? Definitely ✓✓✓
Slippery? For dramatic dashes and such? ✓
"Brave" he's a superhero, superheroes are Brave. ✓

I know 4 Capcom reps is pushing it, especially when MH and RE are much bigger names. But hey! I'm just looking at the current stats.
I would be over the freaking moon if VJ turns out to be it, especially since no one expects him to have a game these days.

D

Deleted member

How would that be promoted as DLC?

Steve is a action hero that goes around and kills monsters though, so he doesn't quite fit the goofball criteria. :4pacman:

In any case, given his track record at trying to find any Minecraft content coming, Verge will probably end up being wrong about that overall.

I would be over the freaking moon if VJ turns out to be it, especially since no one expects him to have a game these days.
I don’t get it what’s with the pac man stock icon?

Top Bottom