• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

'Brave' New Character (datamined)

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Would Erdrick be a bit of a zoning character then? A sort of mixture between the styles of Toon Link and Robin, yet a little more defensive?
I've been saying the stats compliment Erdrick being a similar style to Toon Link or Young Link. However, the weight is throwing me off a bit. That kind of play style that can live for that long would be a night mare (considering we know nothing of recovery, end lag, moves, etc)

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I've been saying the stats compliment Erdrick being a similar style to Toon Link or Young Link. However, the weight is throwing me off a bit. That kind of play style that can live for that long would be a night mare (considering we know nothing of recovery, end lag, moves, etc)
If it is Erdrick, I dont think it's the kid version with that weight. It might be a mixed fighter, which would be great. I'd love for there to be ranged magic or skills for the b moves, it'd be great to zone a bit, but it most likely wont be an actual zoning character (just in my opinion).

Just a note, but mii gunner is actually heavy. So if you think it'd be a nightmare, look at mii gunner right now. Doesnt seem that bad.

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
If it is Erdrick, I dont think it's the kid version with that weight. It might be a mixed fighter, which would be great. I'd love for there to be ranged magic or skills for the b moves, it'd be great to zone a bit, but it most likely wont be an actual zoning character (just in my opinion).

Just a note, but mii gunner is actually heavy. So if you think it'd be a nightmare, look at mii gunner right now. Doesnt seem that bad.
Even Mega Man has similar stats to that of Brave and he is pretty fine. This is a disjoint compared to a gun fire. And the one golden rule about all swords is that they all hit hard.

Regarding small Erdrick's weight, some speculate he could be in the armor and that make him heavier as a result. Like some anime Ghost and Goblins character.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Even Mega Man has similar stats to that of Brave and he is pretty fine. This is a disjoint compared to a gun fire. And the one golden rule about all swords is that they all hit hard.

Regarding small Erdrick's weight, some speculate he could be in the armor and that make him heavier as a result. Like some anime Ghost and Goblins character.
I doubt they' put a kid version with heavy armor. And also because it would dampen the potential for other skins. Not to say it isn't possible.

And, it depends how they want to make the character. Looking at cloud, he's practically as heavy, is really fast, and has a projectile too. So I think there's enough to say it can easily work like other characters already there. And they can always make certain attacks not hit as hard, kind of like mii swordfighter nair and fair dont hit hard but some other moves do.

And since we cant say much about the height just because of the value we saw, there's no reason to think it'd be a kid version at this point I think.

Last edited:

Looma

Smash Journeyman
A friend of mine on Discord brought up an interesting character that actually fits these traits really well. I don't see him brought up often but they shouldn't be completely discounted.

Sir Arthur from Ghosts n Goblins

He wears a heavy suit of armor (famously flimsy as it may be) but can also definitely be described as floaty.
He's got mountains of projectiles which would definitely place him firmly in the "zoner" camp, making this stat distribution appropriate for him.
Ghosts n Goblins can be considered a "missing NES icon" that has it's fair share of claims to fame, and was one of the earliest ones to boot.
Arthur has also seen a good amount of support. He's not an overwhelming juggernaut like Ridley or K. Rool, but neither was Simon (or Ryu back in 4).

Also, "Brave" is very commonly used as a descriptive term for knights. (or it could even be a Monty Python reference if Sakurai and his team are as cultured as I like to think they are)

D

Deleted member

Would be great if its Arthur, and now that I think of it he can end up fighting in his boxers so skin type would be bio rather than metallic. Knowing Sakurai he can end up making him use an armor upgrade/degrade feature. Hope he brings a Red Arremer with him if its him.

Edit: Just to add, Arthur is certainly brave for fighting in underwear

Last edited by a moderator:

fleshdude.gov

Smash Journeyman
I'm gonna be really critical of Mizumi right now, but I don't really want to sound rude. I think he is causing confusion by saying the height stat doesn't matter, because it certainly does. If you line up characters by their height stat, they go in order of tallest to shortest. Isabelle is the only character who is actually barely taller than her height stat. Captain falcon is size 18, and luigi is size 15, actually. I don't know where he is getting these fake values, but it's misinforming a lot of people. Height has always been a perfect way to gauge a character's size, lol.
So apparently height does matter!

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
Brave is actually a brave hero from Fire Emblem Heroes check these digits (wait wrong site)

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
A friend of mine on Discord brought up an interesting character that actually fits these traits really well. I don't see him brought up often but they shouldn't be completely discounted.

Sir Arthur from Ghosts n Goblins

He wears a heavy suit of armor (famously flimsy as it may be) but can also definitely be described as floaty.
He's got mountains of projectiles which would definitely place him firmly in the "zoner" camp, making this stat distribution appropriate for him.
Ghosts n Goblins can be considered a "missing NES icon" that has it's fair share of claims to fame, and was one of the earliest ones to boot.
Arthur has also seen a good amount of support. He's not an overwhelming juggernaut like Ridley or K. Rool, but neither was Simon (or Ryu back in 4).

Also, "Brave" is very commonly used as a descriptive term for knights. (or it could even be a Monty Python reference if Sakurai and his team are as cultured as I like to think they are)
Unlikely as it is, Ultimate Ghosts N Goblins is one of my favorite PSP games. I'd be down.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Okay so in my mission to also give various DQ games a shot, I'm trying the demo for Dragon Quest Builders and...back during the "Minecraft content" days there was a joke about how "what if the Minecraft content was actually DQ Builders content". It was apparently shot down by Verge's sources, but...

Well...

I'm playing it now and...you know how the leak said Erdrick's stage was "Alefgard"? Well, that's the name of the continent you rebuild in DQB. I know that's also the continent from DQ3 but...really makes you think.
It's the Dragon Quest Builders protagonist.
  1. It explains why Nekoo heard the rep was "Hero".
  2. It explains the "Minecraft content".
  3. It explains the possible chibi-ness.
  4. It explains why tansut says they have male and female alts
  5. And if they were wearing the legendary armor it'd explain their weight stat.
Look into your heart.

(I kid.)
It's been something I've tossed around facetiously before but it wouldn't surprise me if it ended up true.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
It's been something I've tossed around facetiously before but it wouldn't surprise me if it ended up true.
Yep I knew I had seen it around lol but in all honesty I think this would almost be the best case scenario for me since it would cover the "minecraft" content and help to avoid Steve while still representing a classic series and bringing something new to the table.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I wouldn't be TOO upset, as long as his/her alts are them wearing iconic DQ armor.

(Builders would make a sweet Mii costume as well though).

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I mean Vergeben has a leak saying it is Erdrick
Oh, did he say it himself?

Could Beldrick (Dragon Quest Builders) be a possibility?

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net..._-_Hero.png/revision/latest?cb=20161003081608

He seems like a character that Nintendo would pick.
The idea of the builder character is kind of funny, and i wouldnt mind it, but I kinda doubt it, I think it would upset the japanese fanbase who're really into the original dragon quest games. who knows tho.

Manonymous

Smash Journeyman
I'm glad to see that I'm not the only who thinks that this character will be a Bravely Default one :) !

Last edited:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Courage is an actual synonym for bravery so its going to be a Zelda character
No character is more tied to the concept of courage than Agumon, who's power comes from the crest thereof and the development of true courage (and not foolhardiness) within his human partner. Translation, however, was pretty inconsistent with him, making some aspects courage and others bravery, with variation in which are which depending on whether you look at anime, manga or games. Regardless, though, his symbol, powerset and move names all stem from the same concept.

Many people discount Agumon as an anime character, too, but both his Vpet line (see Mr Game & Watch for proof that that counts as a video game) and his first PS1 title came before the manga and show in japan.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
No character is more tied to the concept of courage than Agumon, who's power comes from the crest thereof and the development of true courage (and not foolhardiness) within his human partner. Translation, however, was pretty inconsistent with him, making some aspects courage and others bravery, with variation in which are which depending on whether you look at anime, manga or games. Regardless, though, his symbol, powerset and move names all stem from the same concept.

Many people discount Agumon as an anime character, too, but both his Vpet line (see Mr Game & Watch for proof that that counts as a video game) and his first PS1 title came before the manga and show in japan.
I was kidding lol I don't think its actually Ravio. I really don't think Brave will mean bravery.

Xigger

Smash Lord
Hot take! Most likely Brave fighters!
  • Ravio
  • Sir Arthur
  • Anyone who's a knight (prob not Shovel Knight tho)
  • Sans
  • Chao
  • Agumon

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Tree Gelbman Tree Gelbman brought up an idea of who brave is that just gave me the strangest gut feeling. I think it actually could be Wonder Red. Before you tell me I'm crazy, just think about how well that would fit Brave. I know it's unlikely, but that's just the feeling I have now.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Tree Gelbman Tree Gelbman brought up an idea of who brave is that just gave me the strangest gut feeling. I think it actually could be Wonder Red. Before you tell me I'm crazy, just think about how well that would fit Brave. I know it's unlikely, but that's just the feeling I have now.
he probably has as good of a shot as anyone else but I wouldn't have picked him for a low-traction zoner considering he fought with his fists.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
he probably has as good of a shot as anyone else but I wouldn't have picked him for a low-traction zoner considering he fought with his fists.
He'd surely come with a group of wonderful ones since it takes at least 10 to make a construct. They would move in a condensed little group like in the game and have fists, guns, whips, swords, hammers, bombs, claws, and possibly bowguns, naginatas, boomerangs, drills, and laser goggles. They move as one unit, and the other 9 would transorm into the weapon that wonder Red uses, so there's only actually one fighting at once. So Braves stats could totally fit. This also fits with the whole "one character might take more work than any other" thing. Plus "Hero" would be like the equivalent of "Plant" for PP if it's wonder Red, and apparently there was a tease for Wonderful 101 coming to Switch in some form.

Last edited:

fleshdude.gov

Smash Journeyman
He'd surely come with a group of wonderful ones since it takes at least 10 to make a construct. They would move in a condensed little group like in the game and have fists, guns, whips, swords, hammers, bombs, claws, and possibly bowguns, naginatas, boomerangs, drills, and laser goggles. They move as one unit, and the other 9 would transorm into the weapon that wonder Red uses, so there's only actually one fighting at once. So Braves stats could totally fit. This also fits with the whole "one character might take more work than any other" thing. Plus "Hero" would be like the equivalent of "Plant" for PP if it's wonder Red, and apparently there was a tease for Wonderful 101 coming to Switch in some form.
10 characters on screen at once for a single fighter would lag the game likely as soon as you hit 3 or 4 Wonder Reds in a match, especially in a graphically intensive stage such as Fountain of Dreams. It could potentially also get confusing very quickly in a more chaotic match.

Also, PP’s codename was “Packun”, not “Plant,” and the codename for the Mystery Character is “Brave,” not “Hero.”

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
10 characters on screen at once for a single fighter would lag the game likely as soon as you hit 3 or 4 Wonder Reds in a match, especially in a graphically intensive stage such as Fountain of Dreams. It could potentially also get confusing very quickly in a more chaotic match.

Also, PP’s codename was “Packun”, not “Plant,” and the codename for the Mystery Character is “Brave,” not “Hero.”
The Japanese name for Brave is Hero. The English name for PP is Plant. A lot less would have to be put into the models and animations of the following wondeful ones. They wouldn't attack or anything, they'd just be there to morph. They'd basically function as big Pikmin. Look up a video of the wonderful 101 to see how they look in a pack. At this point I feel like we should be past the point of arguing that Sakurai couldn't make x character work.

Last edited:

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
I have an idea, why don’t we search for any Japanese meanings for the word Brave and see if that certain relates to any video game character?

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Clearly we are all sleeping on the obvious choice that Disney really wanted to push Merida for some reason.

But for real, I think the most likely one is probably the Dragon Quest guy.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Well, now that people think the height data might actually matter, it'd mean that the character could be around ness' height unless it's just placeholder data.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
The Japanese name for Brave is Hero. The English name for PP is Plant. A lot less would have to be put into the models and animations of the following wondeful ones. They wouldn't attack or anything, they'd just be there to morph. They'd basically function as big Pikmin. Look up a video of the wonderful 101 to see how they look in a pack. At this point I feel like we should be past the point of arguing that Sakurai couldn't make x character work.
Actually you got it backwards. The Japanese for Hero is Yuusha (lit. Brave).

And ten big Pikmin certainly sounds like very taxing, especially for 4 or even 8 player battles.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101

And ten big Pikmin certainly sounds like very taxing, especially for 4 or even 8 player battles.
I guess, though they move as one unit in the game. It's kind of hard to explain, but basically imagine one big model that consisted of multiple characters. That's basically how they move. It could be less if it had to be, but there's no way it could be less than five, as in wonder Red and four followers. Any less and there's not much point to the character.

Edit: Ah, thanks for the clarification on Brave.

Last edited:

Xigger

Smash Lord

It SOUNDS like a lot, but honestly it's not that bad considering Wonderful 101 had, well, 101 heroes running around. They're all fairly low-res and covered in simple armor/cardboard boxes, and probably wouldn't have their own physics like Pikmin or Nana. Think the background villagers in Smashville.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
So, the Dragon Quest Builder character would be short-ish, right?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I guess, though they move as one unit in the game. It's kind of hard to explain, but basically imagine one big model that consisted of multiple characters. That's basically how they move. It could be less if it had to be, but there's no way it could be less than five, as in wonder Red and four followers. Any less and there's not much point to the character.

Edit: Ah, thanks for the clarification on Brave.
I’ve played W101, and I just can’t begin to imagine how it would work, tbh.

Top Bottom