• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

'Brave' New Character (datamined)

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
remind me why are we sure that jack is joker?
We aren't, but the stats fit for how we expect Joker to play, Joker has a reasonable explanation for being Jack (several actually), and being Fighter Pack #1 people assume he would be the next to join so it makes sense that his stats would be ready and in the game.

Of course you're correct, Joker could end up being "Brave" and that would really turn things on it's head lol but it just doesn't seem very likely.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
remind me why are we sure that jack is joker?
Jack could refer to Jack Frost, Atlus's mascot, and Jack Of All Trades, which fits his in-game designation as the Fool arcana who can use any Persona, and is also a card suit like Joker. Also the stats seem to check out from what we know.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
To clarify on that "biological" hit sound, it is nicknamed what it is because the file name is something to the effect of "HitBio". It is typically used for human characters like Ness but is the most common hit sound in the game so it doesn't tell us a tonne.
I did not data mine Brave's use of it myself and cannot recall where I came across it but I promise you, it was a reliable source and a public one at the time.

I brought it up over in the Agumon thread because Agumon's an unclothed, pseudo-biological entity tied very closely to the idea of courage. A word that is not distinct from bravery in japanese. I don't honestly know how realistic his inclusion in Smash would be but he is easily on par with Erdrick in terms of fitting the name at least.

It was an interesting tidbit of information that made Agumon seem more likely, even if I would personally prefer a more artificial noise to play up the fact that he is a computer life form.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
The next Nintendo Direct has been announced for tomorrow. I believe that this direct will finally reveal who "Brave" is.

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
It was the first DLC codename found in the code, or so the story goes...or, rather, the first that wasn't in reference to Piranha Plant. Joker is the also the first DLC character announced.

So...its a: a to b then b to c sort of deal.

Machii

Smash Apprentice
I think an official smash/Nintendo Twitter posted a photo of erdricks shield the other day.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Jack Frost I guess (Atlus mascott or at least ShinMegamiTensei)
We aren't, but the stats fit for how we expect Joker to play, Joker has a reasonable explanation for being Jack (several actually), and being Fighter Pack #1 people assume he would be the next to join so it makes sense that his stats would be ready and in the game.

Of course you're correct, Joker could end up being "Brave" and that would really turn things on it's head lol but it just doesn't seem very likely.
Jack could refer to Jack Frost, Atlus's mascot, and Jack Of All Trades, which fits his in-game designation as the Fool arcana who can use any Persona, and is also a card suit like Joker. Also the stats seem to check out from what we know.
so it is just pure speculation

Because Jack Frost is the recurring mascot of Megami Tensei.
perhaps im misreading him/her but something about feels like theyre being a tad rude

Teeb147

Smash Legend

perhaps im misreading him/her but something about feels like theyre being a tad rude
It's not. Joker is the next character coming. And the next character in the files was 'jack'.

It also fits because of the reasons people mentioned. Not to say it's impossible a character could come before joker with that codename, but that's very unlikely.

Last edited:

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Well educated guess would be a more accurate way to describe it if you ask me, but yes nothing concrete.

Well that user has a bit of a history of not coming off well but I don't see anything wrong with what they said there. I'm guessing you had issue with the bold and italics but I don't think he meant it how you're taking it.

It's not. Joker is the next character coming. And the next character in the files was 'jack'.

It also fits because of the reasons people mentioned.
I mean thats a very reasonable assumption, which is why I say educated guess, but fogbadge fogbadge isn't wrong by saying it isn't for sure.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
and how do we know jack is the next one coming?
Because unlike brave it has unique stats. it's more finished.

Also like mentioned, joker would be a speedy character, and not be short like lucas, etc.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Well educated guess would be a more accurate way to describe it if you ask me, but yes nothing concrete.

Well that user has a bit of a history of not coming off well but I don't see anything wrong with what they said there. I'm guessing you had issue with the bold and italics but I don't think he meant it how you're taking it.
it was that yeah

Because unlike brave it has unique stats. it's more finished.

Also like mentioned, joker would be a speedy character, and not be short like lucas, etc.
well i wasnt trying to imply that joker was brave i just dont know why everyone was treating it a fact

Teeb147

Smash Legend

I mean thats a very reasonable assumption, which is why I say educated guess, but fogbadge fogbadge isn't wrong by saying it isn't for sure.
it was that yeah

well i wasnt trying to imply that joker was brave i just dont know why everyone was treating it a fact
Of course, there's always different possibilities from what people assume. it's just that making assumptions (smart ones, ideally) is normal (including for science).
When we have enough going for somethin, it becomes more than just 'pure speculation'. I never believe something is true just because it fits super well, but I still gotta admit if it's the most likely case or more :p

Last edited:

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Of course, there's always different possibilities from what people assume. it's just that making assumptions (smart ones, ideally) is normal (including for science).
When we have enough going for somethin, it becomes more than just 'pure speculation'. I never believe something is true just because it fits super well, but I still gotta admit if it's the most likely case or more :p
Oh I'm not disagreeing with you, its a very reasonable assumption and its why I don't think there is any real reason to doubt it's most likely the case. But again fogbadge fogbadge isn't wrong in saying it's not yet fact, which is what you said too.

So we're all in agreement!

Swop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
STOPNSWOP
3DS FC
4210-4035-7088
Switch FC
SW 1091 0071 7555
Brave's stats align with those of the zoners, they are noticeably floaty, do not have a rapid jab, have an equivalent height parameter that makes them slightly smaller than Luigi, are either the lightest heavyweight or the heaviest midweight, and they have a distinct, sliding turn.

This is everything that has been confirmed about Brave.
No tether.
No crawl.
No walljump/cling.
No rapid jab.
Classified as medium sized. (I don't know what this parameter does.)
Cannot float in the air (2 jumps).
Character doesn't seem to be metal. (There's a "skin" type parameter that seems to make characters spark when hit.)

I'm Calling Banjo-Kazooie, all of these Stats are lining up to Banjo and Kazooie.

Banjo and Kazooie have Projectiles (Zoner)
Noticeably Floaty (Kazooie is a Bird)
Distinctive Sliding Turn
Cannot Crawl
No Wall Jump
Medium Sized or Heaviest Midweight makes sense

I really want to say its Banjo

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I'm Calling Banjo-Kazooie, all of these Stats are lining up to Banjo and Kazooie.

Banjo and Kazooie have Projectiles (Zoner)
Noticeably Floaty (Kazooie is a Bird)
Distinctive Sliding Turn
Cannot Crawl
No Wall Jump
Medium Sized or Heaviest Midweight makes sense

I really want to say its Banjo
I also really hope it’s Banjo but bear (geddit?) in mind stats can change.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
So, I was thinking about Dark Matter potentially being Brave again and while I was thinking about it I remembered a neat little detail from their bossfight...

Ball Turn.gif

Dark Turn.gif

They slide when they turn, just like Brave currently does, so I guess this means Banjo isn't alone in the sliding club anymore lol

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Although Brave isn’t back in the code, Jack was

A. Joker and
B. Had different stats

Thus all arguments about the stats fitting no longer apply.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Since Brave will likely have different stats, we can't say anything for sure, but maybe somebody'll datamine something that'll give us hints about how they change them or which characters they use as base, or something.

Can't guarantee anything based on them anyway.

Looma

Smash Journeyman
It's silly to assume that in development stats are set in stone. Doesn't mean there's no consistent character concept in there. I highly doubt it's jumping from Meta Knight to Simon Belmont-esque stats (unless Joker changed super drastically, idk but it really doesn't look like he did)

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Although Brave isn’t back in the code, Jack was

A. Joker and
B. Had different stats

Thus all arguments about the stats fitting no longer apply.
Joker's playstyle isn't drastically different from the leaked stats, which implied that he would be a fast, mobile character, which he is.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Joker's playstyle isn't drastically different from the leaked stats, which implied that he would be a fast, mobile character, which he is.
True, but one noticeable omission compared to the datamined Jack stats is his lack of a rapid jab.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Aside from that, there were no noticeable changes. "Brave" is still likely to be a zoner character.
Brave was never likely to be a zoner character. There's plenty of characters that arent zoners, as well as some that are, that can be compared with the stats.

I think most people were wondering about the height, and it turns out Joker is taller than the datamined stat pointed to.
Though he looks scrawny otherwise.

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I will be genuinely surprised if it's not Erdrick.
From the Instagram post to Vergeben, there's just too much smoke to not be fire.

CureParfait

Smash Ace
I won't be surprised if Brave turned out to be not Erdrick. Given since leaks didn't predict Joker as the first DLC and the hints might end up being red herrings.

Top Bottom