• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

'Brave' New Character (datamined)

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Determination is almost a synonym for bravery so it's Sans.

(My real prediction, as I've been saying in the Square thread, is Dragon Quest.)
Courage is an actual synonym for bravery so its going to be a Zelda character, i.e. Ravio
who is an alternate reality version of the wielder of the Triforce of Courage and notably lacking his own courage making the codename actually sneaky

EDIT:
It's not going to be Ravio

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
No tether.
No crawl.
No walljump/cling.
No rapid jab.
Classified as medium sized. (I don't know what this parameter does.)
Cannot float in the air (2 jumps).
Character doesn't seem to be metal. (There's a "skin" type parameter that seems to make characters spark when hit.)

View attachment 186724

https://puu.sh/CtLjZ.jpg
Not metal? Which characters are categorised as such? I would guess Samus and Ganondorf, cause they wear armor. But from what I've seen, Erdrick is wearing armor as well. I kinda expect Erdrick to be "Brave", but am not so sure anymore now.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Not metal? Which characters are categorised as such? I would guess Samus and Ganondorf, cause they wear armor. But from what I've seen, Erdrick is wearing armor as well. I kinda expect Erdrick to be "Brave", but am not so sure anymore now.
I think it was Samus, Dark Samus, ROB and Mega Man.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Are they saying Brave has skin like Mario and others or a different kind of material similar to metal? (with ROB, Mega Man etc)

I think the stats fit a zoner more than anything. The only sword character we have with similar stats is Toon Link. Yet Toon Link is not heavier than Mario...

fleshdude.gov

Smash Journeyman
Are they saying Brave has skin like Mario and others or a different kind of material similar to metal? (with ROB, Mega Man etc)

I think the stats fit a zoner more than anything. The only sword character we have with similar stats is Toon Link. Yet Toon Link is not heavier than Mario...
It’s skin like Mario, since it’s “skin_type_bio”.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Since this is the brave datamining, here is something of interest regarding the height value:

https://twitter.com/_Mizumi/status/1084557161810874369
Pretty much, we're forgetting Young Link is somehow nearly as tall as adult BOTW Link.

I'm just gonna point out another possibility that it's Monster Hunter.
Can someone elaborate on how the height value affects anything then? What does it do? I find it kind of unclear.
I think Fatmanonice Fatmanonice was using the height to make some points too, so might be worth talking more about this.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Can someone elaborate on how the height value affects anything then? What does it do? I find it kind of unclear.
I think Fatmanonice Fatmanonice was using the height to make some points too, so might be worth talking more about this.
I'm not an expert but as I understand it height is exactly that, their height, but it doesn't take into account different stances (like crouching for Greninja and Ridley) or model scaling which could make them not actually shorter than Mario like their height stat would suggest.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'm not an expert but as I understand it height is exactly that, their height, but it doesn't take into account different stances (like crouching for Greninja and Ridley) or model scaling which could make them not actually shorter than Mario like their height stat would suggest.
How would model scaling change the height if it's set to be that way?

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
I honestly still think it's likely to be Yuri in the end as these stats (especially the slide on turn around) fits Yuri quite well alongside the fact he doesn't technically have a rapid jab in the traditional sense. There's other reasons why I think it's Yuri, but these are simply just a few of the starting ones.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
How would model scaling change the height if it's set to be that way?
I'll admit I'm not 100% sure on this one because I saw somewhere else where they put Brave's height on Ike and it made him just shorter than Lucina which is a far cry from shorter than Mario. If I had to guess each model is designed at a certain size and then can be scaled up or down for balance purposes?

-Coco-

Smash Ace
Actually Loto's most iconic design is him wearing the wayfarer clothes.

Attachments

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'll admit I'm not 100% sure on this one because I saw somewhere else where they put Brave's height on Ike and it made him just shorter than Lucina which is a far cry from shorter than Mario. If I had to guess each model is designed at a certain size and then can be scaled up or down for balance purposes?
That's what confuses me a little. It would be odd if the number for the data just affects it rather than sets it. Maybe someone else knows more the details.

I honestly still think it's likely to be Yuri in the end as these stats (especially the slide on turn around) fits Yuri quite well alongside the fact he doesn't technically have a rapid jab in the traditional sense. There's other reasons why I think it's Yuri, but these are simply just a few of the starting ones.
It could really be anybody's game. And there's no reason it'd have to be a square enix character either, and people have to be very careful about leaks. I do think the connection with DQ for the codename makes a lot of sense, but it could also be entirely different.

I think one reason I might want the dragon quest hero over the other guesses is for the thought of being able to have the female version too. But the leaks I saw for the other characters of dlc seems like BS.

Ornl

Smash Ace
About Dragon Quest
- The Dragon Quest series has already sold 76 million units.
- Dragon Quest is the pioneer of the console RPG model. Not the first, but the equivalent of what Street Fighter was for the next fight games. He inspired Final Fantasy, Pokemon (Dragon Quest 5 in 1992 giving the possibility to recruit monsters). Slime inspired the same enemy in Zelda 3 and subsequent opuses.
- Dragon Quest 3 is the second favorite game in Japan, after Persona 5, and 12 games of the license are among the favorite games in Japan.
- Dragon Quest is considered to be part of the Nintendo family. Most games in the series (including Monsters) are on Nintendo consoles. Slime also appeared in three Mario games : Itadaki Street DS, Mario Sports Mix and Fortune Street, as well as in Miitopia. The series is even entitled to a specific logo version when the game is released by Nintendo, which is not done with any other outside license.
- Erdrick could promote the DQ franchise abroad.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Would Erdrick be a bit of a zoning character then? A sort of mixture between the styles of Toon Link and Robin, yet a little more defensive?

D

Deleted member

Alright explanation for height being a scale value, so please bear the long post. (A lot of these are assumptions, so feel free to correct if you see fit :) )

When you're working with 3D models, in addition to height you have to work with other two dimensions which are width and length (basically an x, y, and a z axis) that at least to my understanding don't appear to be in the data. So when you develop a 3D model your work area is basically a cube with set values, and the height value seems to be the measure they decided to use to scale and determine the characters correct size during the game.

In a game like smash, all the models are worked in a cube of determined dimensions and the character models are developed within the boundaries of the cube. Now working in this area of this set size would leave some interesting results if you compare models directly, small characters end up really big and big characters end up being hilariously small. So when you need to put the characters in game, you need to increase the scale of the bigger characters more than you need to increase the smaller ones so that every character appears on scale.

When you're working in this space restrictions with the addition of width and length, you need to fit characters within the cube. Some characters end up becoming even smaller like Bowser which is also one of the widest and lengthiest characters so you need to increase the scale even more than with other characters of similar size.

Now, there are a few discrepancies with some of the characters height values which ends up making explanations a bit more difficult. Ridley would need to have a higher value than samus and they have the same one, which could potentially mean that he was developed in conjunction to Samus and used an area twice as tall. (This one is practically a supposition).

Why all of this is important, while the character can be Lucas/Ness size it doesn't necessarily mean so. It only indicates that the model has been increased a certain number of times, and it could be an even smaller character that needs to be increased more due to being wide or it could be a bigger character that doesn't need to be scaled as much. This method I'm explaining is relatively easier to develop rather than working with the dimensions directly as you can change the values and play with the measures as you see fit, also this explains the slight discrepancies in height of characters with the same "height".

Based on these principles, to give an example we can use 2D images. For this lets take these images of a mouse and a cat which are the same scale:

In these the cat looks smaller than the mouse despite the pictures being the same size, but when you need to put them together and to scale you need to increment the cat size a few times(both height and width) before they are in correct scale one with another. Now if you add a dog to the picture

The dog would need to be increased as well, and would end up being a few scales bigger than the cat.

So basically thats it class, hope this explanation is understandable enough about the value.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Alright explanation for height being a scale value, so please bear the long post. (A lot of these are assumptions, so feel free to correct if you see fit :) )

When you're working with 3D models, in addition to height you have to work with other two dimensions which are width and length (basically an x, y, and a z axis) that at least to my understanding don't appear to be in the data. So when you develop a 3D model your work area is basically a cube with set values, and the height value seems to be the measure they decided to use to scale and determine the characters correct size during the game.

In a game like smash, all the models are worked in a cube of determined dimensions and the character models are developed within the boundaries of the cube. Now working in this area of this set size would leave some interesting results if you compare models directly, small characters end up really big and big characters end up being hilariously small. So when you need to put the characters in game, you need to increase the scale of the bigger characters more than you need to increase the smaller ones so that every character appears on scale.

When you're working in this space restrictions with the addition of width and length, you need to fit characters within the cube. Some characters end up becoming even smaller like Bowser which is also one of the widest and lengthiest characters so you need to increase the scale even more than with other characters of similar size.

Now, there are a few discrepancies with some of the characters height values which ends up making explanations a bit more difficult. Ridley would need to have a higher value than samus and they have the same one, which could potentially mean that he was developed in conjunction to Samus and used an area twice as tall. (This one is practically a supposition).

Why all of this is important, while the character can be Lucas/Ness size it doesn't necessarily mean so. It only indicates that the model has been increased a certain number of times, and it could be an even smaller character that needs to be increased more due to being wide or it could be a bigger character that doesn't need to be scaled as much. This method I'm explaining is relatively easier to develop rather than working with the dimensions directly as you can change the values and play with the measures as you see fit, also this explains the slight discrepancies in height of characters with the same "height".

Based on these principles, to give an example we can use 2D images. For this lets take these images of a mouse and a cat which are the same scale:

In these the cat looks smaller than the mouse despite the pictures being the same size, but when you need to put them together and to scale you need to increment the cat size a few times(both height and width) before they are in correct scale one with another. Now if you add a dog to the picture

The dog would need to be increased as well, and would end up being a few scales bigger than the cat.

So basically thats it class, hope this explanation is understandable enough about the value.
So if I understand you correctly, the height is probably not that far off unless its either a really short wide character or a tall skinny one because those would be the main reasons you would need to scale it more than a character of similar height?

D

Deleted member

So if I understand you correctly, the height is probably not that far off unless its either a really short wide character or a tall skinny one because those would be the main reasons you would need to scale it more than a character of similar height?
It could also be that case for the character to be taller and was developed with one of the "height" 13 as a reference like Ridley seems to be. It's difficult to say at this moment without any model for reference, thats why the measure gives a bit of uncertainty.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
It could also be that case for the character to be taller and was developed with one of the "height" 13 as a reference like Ridley seems to be. It's difficult to say at this moment without any model for reference, thats why the measure gives a bit of uncertainty.
So like how Ridley was known to be tall so they planned ahead and scaled him shorter or something in the design phase?

EDIT: I guess that would explain why Ike scaled to the same number only dropped slightly shorter than Lucina? Like they scaled Ike taller in his creation process?

So if it is Erdrick could any of this come from there being a male and female skin? Like somehow one is taller than the other or something weird like that and it messes with the numbers?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So like how Ridley was known to be tall so they planned ahead and scaled him shorter or something in the design phase?
My supposition is that Ridley was probably developed with Samus model as a reference, so that they would be in scale with each other with any increase or decrease.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
My supposition is that Ridley was probably developed with Samus model as a reference, so that they would be in scale with each other with any increase or decrease.
hmm that's interesting, so then the only thing that the number would maybe point to would be who they are trying to scale off of? Like say they know Erdrick should be shorter than Cloud or something like that and scale accordingly?

Edit: this is all really interesting, thanks for being my private tutor on this stuff lol.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

hmm that's interesting, so then the only thing that the number would maybe point to would be who they are trying to scale off of? Like say they know Erdrick should be shorter than Cloud or something like that and scale accordingly?

Edit: this is all really interesting, thanks for being my private tutor on this stuff lol.
Number only indicates the number of times the model is scaled, so it wont tell us anything until we have a model or a skeleton. It can mean a few different things like: it can be a character that fits within the same size range as the others, a character that was developed using a character with the same scale as reference, it could be a smaller and chubby character that ended up getting in the scale to fit with the rest of the cast...

fleshdude.gov

Smash Journeyman
Wait, but aren’t they scaled off of all the other characters as well?

Like, are there any characters that are Brave’s height or around it that are much larger than they would otherwise be?

I thought that The compared heights matched those of the models when lined up in-game.

Last edited:

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Number only indicates the number of times the model is scaled, so it wont tell us anything until we have a model or a skeleton. It can mean a few different things like: it can be a character that fits within the same size range as the others, a character that was developed using a character with the same scale as reference, it could be a smaller and chubby character that ended up getting in the scale to fit with the rest of the cast...
Okay I think I get it now, and I see why there is some ambiguity with the number. That said a short and fat character does sound a like Slime lol.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
Wait, but aren’t they scaled off of all the other characters as well?

Like, are there any characters that are Brave’s height or around it that are much larger than they would otherwise be?

I thought that The compared heights matched those of the models when lined up in-game.
Captain Falcon and Luigi compared.

From Mizumi on Twitter. Captain Falcon's height value is 15, Luigi's is 17. The height value seems to represent how much the model was scaled
rather than its actual height.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Would Erdrick be a bit of a zoning character then? A sort of mixture between the styles of Toon Link and Robin, yet a little more defensive?
I can see that happening, with him being a mix of weaponry and magic in the same style that the Belmonts use their whip along with the subweapons.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Brave? Definitely Erdrick.

Although PP and Joker’s code names appear to just be plays on their regular names. And if that’s the case for this one then I have no idea.

As interesting as a Bravely Default Character would be (visually at least they’re 100% different from every other Square-acter), Erdrick just seems more likely.

Last edited:

kirby3021

Smash Journeyman
I am trying to think what SE characters would fit a movement profile that is both floaty and "slide", and the two I am most familiar with that might fit would be Sephiroth or Neku from TWEWY, and Neku could be made to play however Sakurai wanted him to play (as could any character, I guess). That said, I am unfamiliar with a lot of SE characters (all DQ characters included), so I have absolutely no idea if there are other characters that fit the current profile (as changeable as it is).

D

Deleted member

I am trying to think what SE characters would fit a movement profile that is both floaty and "slide", and the two I am most familiar with that might fit would be Sephiroth or Neku from TWEWY, and Neku could be made to play however Sakurai wanted him to play (as could any character, I guess). That said, I am unfamiliar with a lot of SE characters (all DQ characters included), so I have absolutely no idea if there are other characters that fit the current profile (as changeable as it is).
I doubt that sliding is as huge of a deal as some people make it out to be. It seems to just be a tiny amount of momentum left after they stop running that's barely even noticeable, judging from the video with Brave's stats applied to Ike.
That said, as for Erdrick who seems to be the current hot topic, I simply don't think it's possible to determine if Brave's stats fit or not. He has multiple designs of different proportions, and all battles in DQ3 are in first person so you don't see him moving at all in battle, leaving his movement when transferred to an action game to interpretation.

etano

Smash Cadet
It will definitely be interesting to see. The stats are so confusing to read and think about. Plenty of different characters can be made out to be brave. Everyone thinks differently about the character. I really think the only solution is to wait it out and just see. But of course nintendo fans don't want that. But I feel like this is definitely not going to be easy to figure out. Are they doing this on purpose? To confuse us? Honestly who knows?

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I doubt that sliding is as huge of a deal as some people make it out to be. It seems to just be a tiny amount of momentum left after they stop running that's barely even noticeable, judging from the video with Brave's stats applied to Ike.
That said, as for Erdrick who seems to be the current hot topic, I simply don't think it's possible to determine if Brave's stats fit or not. He has multiple designs of different proportions, and all battles in DQ3 are in first person so you don't see him moving at all in battle, leaving his movement when transferred to an action game to interpretation.
I mean. Fair. But at the same time, how many characters do these stats actually point towards?

etano

Smash Cadet
You also have too look at how popular the character is worldwide. Like not all characters are as popular in Japan as they are in the U.S.

D

Deleted member

You also have too look at how popular the character is worldwide. Like not all characters are as popular in Japan as they are in the U.S.
I think considering just how big of a deal Dragon Quest is in Japan (it would take me at least a few paragraphs to give you the whole scope), plus its impact on the RPG genre as a whole I think makes it worth considering, especially from the perspective of a Japanese perspective.
Most other SE candidates are undeniably more popular globally though, which would certainly also be a factor.

Last edited by a moderator:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I think considering just how big of a deal Dragon Quest is in Japan (it would take me at least a few paragraphs to give you the whole scope), plus its impact on the RPG genre as a whole I think makes it worth considering, especially from the perspective of a Japanese perspective.
Most other SE candidates are undeniably more popular globally though, which would certainly also be a factor.
Especially if they also do a character like Banjo or DoomSlayer who’s more popular in the West than in Japan.

As a side note, people often forget how popular Crash Bandicoot is in Japan. He’s popular enough in both regions to warrant inclusion.

Oddball

Smash Lord
Although PP and Joker’s code names appear to just be plays on their regular names. And if that’s the case for this one then I have no idea.
If it's just a play on words, maybe the word isn't actually "Brave" at all. It could easily be ...

Bravo...

for Bravoman!

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
There's not enough reason to assume it's going to be an SE character, besides leaks, which people have to be careful about.

It would be cool for it to be a Dragon Quest hero, but that's just the best connection people have made with the codename and rumors around, it doesn't mean it has anything to do with them. I do think that DQ is grand enough, at least in japan, to warrant a character from them in smash. But It really could be any one that they thought 'brave' was good enough as a codename.

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion

I have to wonder then. Is there an actual stat that could give us a direct reference to how tall the character and their default stance is in the game, or do we just have to wait and see with how much actually goes into all of this.

Sounds like it could be anyone given the right parameters.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
I have to wonder then. Is there an actual stat that could give us a direct reference to how tall the character and their default stance is in the game, or do we just have to wait and see with how much actually goes into all of this.

Sounds like it could be anyone given the right parameters.
My understanding of the issue is no because that is determined by the character model which we don't have.

Top Bottom