• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

'Brave' New Character (datamined)

D

Deleted member

I have a hunch on Chibi Erdrick. Given how Sakurai went with the classic 8-bit stoic sprite version of Megaman instead of his official artwork, what if they did the same with Erdrick where it represents more how he looked in Dragon Quest 3 instead of his more modern design? It would alleviate the size issue at the very least and I think we're discounting the young Erdrick too quickly.

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
I have a hunch on Chibi Erdrick. Given how Sakurai went with the classic 8-bit stoic sprite version of Megaman instead of his official artwork, what if they did the same with Erdrick where it represents more how he looked in Dragon Quest 3 instead of his more modern design? It would alleviate the size issue at the very least and I think we're discounting the young Erdrick too quickly.
This also goes along well with Sakurai's decision of using Simon's original classic design instead of his more modern one (The one from Castlevania Chronicles).

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Plus, there is one thing people forget before assuming the 5Chan roster leak would be 100% true; it's deadset on assuming Anlucia and Luminary are his alts, but neither of those characters ever had chibi versions of themselves in-game. Earlier heroes like Solo and Sofia, however, did.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Plus, there is one thing people forget before assuming the 5Chan roster leak would be 100% true; it's deadset on assuming Anlucia and Luminary are his alts, but neither of those characters ever had chibi versions of themselves in-game. Earlier heroes like Solo and Sofia, however, did.
Yeah, anyway you put it, the leak is incompatible with the current height stat. And I really really doubt they'd create new chibi versions for those. :p
I dont know who's more likely between a hero and slime, but then would they codename the slime 'brave'?

So then we're back to that it could also be something that isn't DQ-related if we disregard the leak.

Or, the stat is just a placeholder. And considering that PPlant's speed wasn't just buffed, but entirely changed, and that the brave landing data is a copy-paste right now, I think that's possible too.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Weeeeeell.... I don't know about the 3DS version of DQX.
But...

Though TBH to have Luminary's 3DS chibi version would be a slap to the face to western fans that never got that version.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I’d say the chibi design for Erdrick would more likely be used over his adult design...if not for Square Enix continuously pushing the adult version of him in all Dragon Quest media, including the new “Yuusha” model of him that’s set to be released this year.

Remember that Simon’s NES illustration was brought back a year or so before his debut in Smash to get audiences familiar with how he looked before Ayame Kojima gave him his SoTN-esque red-haired design.

If SE agreed to have chibi Erdrick be the design in Smash, why haven’t they made more of an effort to bring it back into the spotlight?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Weeeeeell.... I don't know about the 3DS version of DQX.
But...

Though TBH to have Luminary's 3DS chibi version would be a slap to the face to western fans that never got that version.
I didn't think about that. It would still feel very weird to have that version in smash.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I’d say the chibi design for Erdrick would more likely be used over his adult design...if not for Square Enix continuously pushing the adult version of him in all Dragon Quest media, including the new “Yuusha” model of him that’s set to be released this year.

Remember that Simon’s NES illustration was brought back a year or so before his debut in Smash to get audiences familiar with how he looked before Ayame Kojima gave him his SoTN-esque red-haired design.

If SE agreed to have chibi Erdrick be the design in Smash, why haven’t they made more of an effort to bring it back into the spotlight?
Yeah. I think that SE would want to use adult Erdrick over chibi Erdrick.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

That's fair reasoning. Dragon Quest is undoubtedly less chibi these days if DQ 11's PS4 release is anything to go off of. Personally, I don't see one more likely over the other. I just know Sakurai can really pay attention to what's happened in the past to immediately expect the more adult design.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
Here's an interesting find. You know how the floatiness of Brave has led some to believe he is Sora. If you use Lucas(the closest to Brave's height) to compare him to Cloud, he is the exact same comparative height as Sora.

Jboy1010

Smash Cadet
Here's an interesting find. You know how the floatiness of Brave has led some to believe he is Sora. If you use Lucas(the closest to Brave's height) to compare him to Cloud, he is the exact same comparative height as Sora.
I pray this means something

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord
I pray this means something
There has been a rumor recently that there will be a Nintendo Direct at the 24th, a day before KH3 is released in Japan. That would be the best timing ever to reveal Sora if he turns out to be Brave.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
There has been a rumor recently that there will be a Nintendo Direct at the 24th, a day before KH3 is released in Japan. That would be the best timing ever to reveal Sora if he turns out to be Brave.
Oh, for sure. I've been a low-key supporter of him for some time, so this is the best and only chance they'd have of revealing him (assuming this isn't just a rumor this time).

And incidentally, Oniken and Odallus' physical releases pre-orders go live that day, so that'd be fortuitous timing to make the day even better for me.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Wanted to ask: the hight comes up a lot in these discussions. Brave is 13 I believe. What are the characters with height values of 14, 13 and 12?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Wanted to ask: the hight comes up a lot in these discussions. Brave is 13 I believe. What are the characters with height values of 14, 13 and 12?
I've been wanting to know more height values but there's no list that anyone shared. But like, Ness & Lucas are around 13, or just below mario (might be 14?)

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord
Here's Ness's height compared to Cloud's. (sorry for the low quality)

If Brave's a little bit taller than Ness/Lucas, I can see them being Adult Erdrick hunched over, Kid Erdrick standing still, Sora hunched over, Geno standing still, Luminary hunched over, Crono hunched over or standing still.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
And the Grinch Leak had a thousand times more effort put into it than literally anything these hundreds of attention craving "insiders" have ever "leaked" and it was still all just a sham in the end.

I'm just saying don't go acting like anything is 100% confirmed just yet. Seeing all these people being so sure the character after Joker is Erdrick only makes me wonder what'll happen if it ends up not being him.
Effort means nothing when it's fake anyway. The truth of any one statement doesn't depend on the effort made to claim it. (I'm also of the opinion that the Grinch leak had far less effort put into it than people like to imagine. It got lucky, that's about it). The Smash Fanbase has a very love/hate relationship with insiders and for this smash cycle they've proven themselves to be more correct than in the past. Erdrick isn't a certainty, leaks are and always will be a discussion point for me in regards to speculation. Regardless, I've never seen this much circumstantial evidence point to any one character before Erdrick.

D

Deleted member

I think brave is geno because he’s a smidge shorter than mario and it’s a zoner which is no sword user I doubt it would be chibi eddy because his adult design is much more fitting and recognizable

Manonymous

Smash Journeyman
I think that most people tends to believe leaks only because there are their favorite characters in. The Grinch Leak did that, and it was false. If someone said before November direct that Piranha Plant was a DLC, nobody would believe them.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
While I do think he is coming I doubt it will be this month, I don't think they have gameplay ready to show for him or Joker just yet.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I think that most people tends to believe leaks only because there are their favorite characters in. The Grinch Leak did that, and it was false. If someone said before November direct that Piranha Plant was a DLC, nobody would believe them.
This always happens. Back when 4's base roster got leaked, people thought :ultbowserjr: and :ultduckhunt: were photoshopped in.

D

Deleted member

Steve is Brave.

The clouds in my Minecraft world said so.

Y'all can't ignore the Block Boi any longer.
Nope braves slide is to weird and I don’t think he’s floaty and it’s a zoner and he has a sword and other tools he would most likely be in the 3rd or 4th challenger pack

Last edited by a moderator:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Nope braves slide is to weird and I don’t think he’s floaty and it’s a zoner and he has a sword and other tools he would most likely be in the 3rd or 4th challenger pack
I was joking; I don't think Brave is Steve, either.

I am hoping either he or a Creeper are one of the DLC characters, though; I wonder if most people here would prefer a Creeper over Steve...? I'd like either, though I guess I would prefer a playable Creeper myself - I just wonder, no one talks about the iconic Minecraft mob, they just send Steve hate mail.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I was joking; I don't think Brave is Steve, either.

I am hoping either he or a Creeper are one of the DLC characters, though; I wonder if most people here would prefer a Creeper over Steve...? I'd like either, though I guess I would prefer a playable Creeper myself - I just wonder, no one talks about the iconic Minecraft mob, they just send Steve hate mail.
I would hate Creeper as much as Steve, but it’s Steve the one that people call likely so he gets the brunt of the hate.

Creeper is more AT or even item material anyway.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I would hate Creeper as much as Steve, but it’s Steve the one that people call likely so he gets the brunt of the hate.

Creeper is more AT or even item material anyway.
So is sans don’t you think?

Last edited by a moderator:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I am hoping either Steve/Creeper or Banjo-Kazooie get in, though.

I'd be sorta sad if neither were added. I'm also wondering if Minecraft info was actually released as a red herring for leakers, and while some of y'all may be gleeful, I'd be very disappointed.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I was looking for chibi art of girl edrick, and I found another that's close, but still not exactly. cute tho :)

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
One thing that's puzzling: on the back of DQIII's box, you can see them showcase the male and female variants of the secondary party members, but not Erdrick. Probably something to chalk up to the values of yesteryear.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/nes/587249-dragon-warrior-iii/images/12843
Very interesting (and odd). I guess they thought it'd be better to just show one main character :/
Too bad, I would've liked to see their version of it back then.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Sans is definitely boss material, but I don’t think he could even be playable. Or anyone from Undertale for that matter.

Divisive’s a kind word.
Maybe, but that kind of thing never stops anyone from asking for any character. Even as far back as Brawl, people wanted to play as Mario enemies:

https://smashboards.com/threads/sakurais-journal.117764/
Koopa Troopa (Super Mario Bros. - 1985)
Hammer Bros. (Super Mario Bros. - 1985)
But yeah, Xbone X, not my thing.

Last edited:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
It was leaked on 4Chan. No one replied to it. It was only dug up after the fact.
I think brave is geno because he’s a smidge shorter than mario and it’s a zoner which is no sword user I doubt it would be chibi eddy because his adult design is much more fitting and recognizable
How do we know its a zoning character?

Top Bottom