• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

'Brave' New Character (datamined)

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
post got cut off oof
The change in speed was probably filler. No way were they making Piranha Plant slower than Incineroar (Incineroar was 1.18 and Piranha Plant was 1.12), especially since Piranha Plant's reveal didn't make him look slow whatsoever. We can expect some stats to change if they're suspiciously high or low, but overall, probably not much.

800k was total sales when 3.2 million was subtracted from 4 million total. I accounted for Europe separately. I don't think of DQ as a desperate marketing ploy, I think of the entire DLC as a combination of marketing and fanservice, so it's not just a target on DQ. With Nintendo picking DLC, and knowing that Japan isn't a vast bulk of their user base like DQ, I don't think Erdrick's Western fanbase is enough incentive to add him as it stands.

If Dragon Quest characters have beared resemblance to Goku since the beginning, it wouldn't explain its comparatively lackluster sales. Looking like Goku doesn't equate to people going crazy for the game.

I've expressed my abhor for Erdrick on countless occasions, but I'm not implementing that hate in speculation. Me not thinking Erdrick is quite as likely and presenting points against him doesn't mean I'm a hater, it just means I have a different outlook on how Nintendo will approach the DLC. Erdrick may very well be added, and he's behind Sora for me in the most likely category, I just don't see him doing all too well in the West.

Last edited:

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
I'm not going to insult you or anything. There's a big difference between dislking something and being hateful on someone. I don't like what you made there, because it's way too biased and doesn't really help for anything.

If it was to support a character that'd be different, but that's not what you're doing, because you're just making up a belief that brave is geno.
This whole thread is about making up beliefs. All we have to go by are stats (that may or may not be adjusted as the character get's closer to completion) that can be twisted to fit dozens of characters people want if you try hard enough.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
This whole thread is about making up beliefs. All we have to go by are stats (that may or may not be adjusted as the character get's closer to completion) that can be twisted to fit dozens of characters people want if you try hard enough.
There's a pretty big difference between speculation and beliefs. Assumptions in speculation aren't supposed to be kept, they're for exploring possibilities and getting to the bottome of things (at least ideally) ..heh, bottome.

Twist it turn it, it's all good because different perspectives add to all there can be., etc. :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The change in speed was probably filler. No way were they making Piranha Plant slower than Incineroar (Incineroar was 1.18 and Piranha Plant was 1.12), especially since Piranha Plant's reveal didn't make him look slow whatsoever. We can expect some stats to change if they're suspiciously high or low, but overall, probably not much.

800k was total sales when 3.2 million was subtracted from 4 million total. I accounted for Europe separately. I don't think of DQ as a desperate marketing ploy, I think of the entire DLC as a combination of marketing and fanservice, so it's not just a target on DQ. With Nintendo picking DLC, and knowing that Japan isn't a vast bulk of their user base like DQ, I don't think Erdrick's Western fanbase is enough incentive to add him as it stands.

If Dragon Quest characters have beared resemblance to Goku since the beginning, it wouldn't explain its comparatively lackluster sales. Looking like Goku doesn't equate to people going crazy for the game.

I've expressed my abhor for Erdrick on countless occasions, but I'm not implementing that hate in speculation. Me not thinking Erdrick is quite as likely and presenting points against him doesn't mean I'm a hater, it just means I have a different outlook on how Nintendo will approach the DLC. Erdrick may very well be added, and he's behind Sora for me in the most likely category, I just don't see him doing all too well in the West.
If some of the PP stats where filler, what's stopping the ones in brave or jack for being filler as well? Right now there's not much going for saying they will change or wont change until we get the update from a new version.

DQ sales if anything are weird, both DQVIII and IX sold at least a million copies on the west and they were separated by a few years. DQXI is selling relatively well with the 800,000 copies in the west and can reach the million with the Switch version. DQ is never going to sell as much as FF in the West but previous figures show that at least it can sell decently, and current figures put it above many other RPGs in the west as well.

We can speculate all day about how Nintendo choses the DLC. And lets be honest, Nintendo makes decisions that end surprising the fanbase every now and then. And at some point characters that are unfamiliar with the fanbase are going to be added, and most of the time presentation and how you sell the character is what ends up making the difference. Look it at this way from the sales perspective, current sales of Smash Ultimate dwarf P5 both in the west and in Japan (and its also very likely that Ultimate already outsold P5 combined with a few other Persona entries), and Joker its the first DLC added. Thinking about it, it really wouldn't be surprising to see any character at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
Kingdom Hearts has very floaty movement matching up to Brave, Sora's Valor Form is called Brave Form in Japan. He makes sense as a mid speed character. Also if you compare Lucas (Almost the same height as Brave) to Cloud in training and compare it to his cameos in Kingdom Hearts, Sora is exactly Brave's height.
Hmm. As someone who thinks Sora is going to get in purely out of Kingdom Hearts 3 being on the horizon, I'm not buying this. Sora is floaty, which is completely accurate to Kingdom Hearts. However, the speed and height can pretty much apply to any character, including Geno and Erdrick. Plus the slide Brave does when coming to a halt is not accurate to Kingdom Hearts.

We really have no idea how height is going to play an effect on these character relative to Smash's roster. I mean, look at Pikachu, who is canonically a foot long, and then compare him to Incineroar who is 5'11''.

From those measurements and then looking at the image I posted, it looks like it'll take three Smash Pikachus to be the height of one Smash Incineroar, so comparing height is not something to take completely serious here.

In terms of fan appeal, can't really say. It just means he has a chance like Geno, who is another competitor with Sora. Plus I never saw the official non-speculated roster results so I cannot take roster appeal seriously. (I don't buy the theory that Bayonetta was not the roster winner as a result.)

And we all know why Brave fits more with Erdrick than it does with Sora. His class literally translate to Brave. Not a debunk against Valor form, but it doesn't make the theory credibly.

Sora is not really confirmed with what we know. Too little to go off of as of now. He's definitely one of, if not, the most relevant fighter out of the seven potential Square Enix candidates so he at least has that. Analyzing the details, we can see how these characters can work, but that doesn't mean they're in.
After what happened last time with Corrin and Roy I doubt Geno will get in. His chances have been pretty much zero since Piranha Plant was announced. The skid is odd I will admit and something I'm having trouble with. But Cloud had one for no real reason so I wouldn't be surprised if Sora does too. Maybe they did it to make him seem more floaty on the ground as a creative decision. I would have thought that Geno would have a rapid jab but Sora not having one makes sense. Also Joker is going to be very fast and Brave shares the same landing lag with him on all his aerials, this says to me that he will be a combo based fighter, again fitting Sora. Also about Pikachu and Pichu there are several reasons why this occured. One, if they didn't play around with Pokemon's scales either Pikachu would be too small or every other Pokemon would be way too big. Also while this is not accurate to the games it is to the anime where both are considerably larger. Also about Erdrick, they would need to use his Chibi form to make him this height, a form which Square, who are probably the fussiest developer in the game, have been moving away from. And in regards to the ballot, I highly doubt Geno did that well. He has a very obscure history, appearing only once as a side character in a Mario spinoff that came out 20 years ago. He definately broke top 50 but I'm not sure if he did much better than that. Also if Nintendo were to negotiate with a third party for Smash they'd probably go with a more significant figure. While I do believe it's Sora, I would not be surprised if it did turn out to be Sora, but when i watch Brave modded onto Ike I very much see Sora.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

After what happened last time with Corrin and Roy I doubt Geno will get in. His chances have been pretty much zero since Piranha Plant was announced. The skid is odd I will admit and something I'm having trouble with. But Cloud had one for no real reason so I wouldn't be surprised if Sora does too. Maybe they did it to make him seem more floaty on the ground as a creative decision. I would have thought that Geno would have a rapid jab but Sora not having one makes sense. Also Joker is going to be very fast and Brave shares the same landing lag with him on all his aerials, this says to me that he will be a combo based fighter, again fitting Sora. Also about Pikachu and Pichu there are several reasons why this occured. One, if they didn't play around with Pokemon's scales either Pikachu would be too small or every other Pokemon would be way too big. Also while this is not accurate to the games it is to the anime where both are considerably larger. Also about Erdrick, they would need to use his Chibi form to make him this height, a form which Square, who are probably the fussiest developer in the game, have been moving away from. And in regards to the ballot, I highly doubt Geno did that well. He has a very obscure history, appearing only once as a side character in a Mario spinoff that came out 20 years ago. He definately broke top 50 but I'm not sure if he did much better than that. Also if Nintendo were to negotiate with a third party for Smash they'd probably go with a more significant figure. While I do believe it's Sora, I would not be surprised if it did turn out to be Sora, but when i watch Brave modded onto Ike I very much see Sora.
I'm not sure what Corrin and Roy have to do with anything about Geno. Piranha Plant being the joke newcomer doesn't really kill Geno. Hell, previous games have shown that a series can get a base game rep and a DLC rep. Sometimes two, with Roy and Corrin.

I'll give you that they can tool around with Sora to not be exactly how he is in the games. However, that can literally apply to every character in this thread. It's no real boon to Sora's chances. I've seen how Geno and Erdrick can work with these stats. Hell, I bet Crono can work with these stats too if you thought long enough about it. Just because it can work doesn't mean a character will get in.

The entire point of the Pokemon comparison was to kill your Cloud vs. Sora height difference theory. You used Kingdom Hearts as a reference to compare Sora and Cloud's height. You can't say they had to adjust height for Pokemon and then say Sora wouldn't follow this. Cloud towered over Sora, especially in KH1. There is no way they are using that as the only metric for Sora's height. They can do whatever they want with character heights. I doubt Sora will be as large as Cloud, but saying he is smaller than Cloud is not the decisive evidence. It's the standard we expect because he is literally a kid.

Transitioning to Erdrick having to be chibi, not exactly. They can do whatever they want with Erdrick's height. The two images below of male and female Erdrick are official artwork that represent them smaller than the averagely proportioned human. It's not a matter of what design they use, because Erdrick has a lot of drawings of him. Sure they give him more realistically proportioned limbs in modern times, but they can make it to like DQ3 where he was drawn to be cartoonishly small relative to how he's seen nowadays. Really, adult Erdrick has only been characterized as having Goku's face. That's all they'll need to keep for his anatomy design. So if we take these two images as what he could look like, especially if he's in a squatted sword stance like Link or Cloud, he can definitely fit the height stat. Especially if the height stat's max height is determined by face and not hair. That means we can ignore the long spiky hair in our height estimations, too.

In terms of Geno's chances? Yeah, I'm not seeing him as likely. There's just so little going for him this time around. The spirit, the planned mii costume, no literal connection to the word Brave, (unlike Sora's Brave form or Erdrick's class literally being translated to Brave), and relatively small fandom outside of Smash Bros. It sucks for me, but I got over it. Maybe in Smash 6.

Personally, I don't even know if Brave is the Square Enix rep. If we go by Vergeben saying that the Square Enix rep was intended to be the first DLC revealed, then maybe that means our next DLC, who most likely is Brave, is the Square Enix rep. It's up in the air now, though, because we still don't know who to expect and when.

"While I do believe it's Sora, I would not be surprised if it did turn out to be Sora, but when i watch Brave modded onto Ike I very much see Sora."

I don't understand this. Do you mean Erdrick for the second Sora?

If you have to ask me, I think it's Erdrick or Sora given their status and how unkillable they are in discussions. At this point, I don't know who it is but damn I hate flipflopping between the two.

Graizen

Smash Champion
This topic is very funny.

"It's a Square Enix character, becouse i want it to be"
"It's Erdrick , becouse i want Yuusha to translate rong as Brave"

But other characters as Brave?

"Naaaaahhhhhh, i don't want Brave to be anything else"

Manonymous

Smash Journeyman

That's why I said it will probably be a Bravely Default character.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
I'm not sure what Corrin and Roy have to do with anything about Geno. Piranha Plant being the joke newcomer doesn't really kill Geno. Hell, previous games have shown that a series can get a base game rep and a DLC rep. Sometimes two, with Roy and Corrin.

I'll give you that they can tool around with Sora to not be exactly how he is in the games. However, that can literally apply to every character in this thread. It's no real boon to Sora's chances. I've seen how Geno and Erdrick can work with these stats. Hell, I bet Crono can work with these stats too if you thought long enough about it. Just because it can work doesn't mean a character will get in.

The entire point of the Pokemon comparison was to kill your Cloud vs. Sora height difference theory. You used Kingdom Hearts as a reference to compare Sora and Cloud's height. You can't say they had to adjust height for Pokemon and then say Sora wouldn't follow this. Cloud towered over Sora, especially in KH1. There is no way they are using that as the only metric for Sora's height. They can do whatever they want with character heights. I doubt Sora will be as large as Cloud, but saying he is smaller than Cloud is not the decisive evidence. It's the standard we expect because he is literally a kid.

Transitioning to Erdrick having to be chibi, not exactly. They can do whatever they want with Erdrick's height. The two images below of male and female Erdrick are official artwork that represent them smaller than the averagely proportioned human. It's not a matter of what design they use, because Erdrick has a lot of drawings of him. Sure they give him more realistically proportioned limbs in modern times, but they can make it to like DQ3 where he was drawn to be cartoonishly small relative to how he's seen nowadays. Really, adult Erdrick has only been characterized as having Goku's face. That's all they'll need to keep for his anatomy design. So if we take these two images as what he could look like, especially if he's in a squatted sword stance like Link or Cloud, he can definitely fit the height stat. Especially if the height stat's max height is determined by face and not hair. That means we can ignore the long spiky hair in our height estimations, too.

In terms of Geno's chances? Yeah, I'm not seeing him as likely. There's just so little going for him this time around. The spirit, the planned mii costume, no literal connection to the word Brave, (unlike Sora's Brave form or Erdrick's class literally being translated to Brave), and relatively small fandom outside of Smash Bros. It sucks for me, but I got over it. Maybe in Smash 6.

Personally, I don't even know if Brave is the Square Enix rep. If we go by Vergeben saying that the Square Enix rep was intended to be the first DLC revealed, then maybe that means our next DLC, who most likely is Brave, is the Square Enix rep. It's up in the air now, though, because we still don't know who to expect and when.

"While I do believe it's Sora, I would not be surprised if it did turn out to be Sora, but when i watch Brave modded onto Ike I very much see Sora."

I don't understand this. Do you mean Erdrick for the second Sora?

If you have to ask me, I think it's Erdrick or Sora given their status and how unkillable they are in discussions. At this point, I don't know who it is but damn I hate flipflopping between the two.
1) There was a lot of backlash over two of the DLC characters being from Fire Emblem last time I seriously doubt they want to replicate.
2) I was explaining why they changed the Pokemon's height they would have no reason to do this to Sora, Erdrick or Geno.
3) You are right about Erdrick, he very easily could be that tall with the right stance
BUT
That argument explains why he would be that height and the only real reason to do that would be to make him specifically that height, as in the height was decided first, then the character and I have no idea why they'd do that.
4) It could also be Yuri from Tales who isn't a square rep, but I don't really see it.
5) Yes, the second Sora was supposed to be Erdrick.

The leaked stats make "Brave" highly likely to be a child character.
Like Sora

Flyboy

Smash Hero

I don't want to get your hopes up or anything but there's genuinely a tiny part of me who really thinks it could be Agumon. The stats do shake out. That'd be nuts.

D

Deleted member

I don't want to get your hopes up or anything but there's genuinely a tiny part of me who really thinks it could be Agumon. The stats do shake out. That'd be nuts.
Digimon representation would be absolutely crazy. I'm not even sure what the series is doing anymore, but I loved it back in the day.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
1) There was a lot of backlash over two of the DLC characters being from Fire Emblem last time I seriously doubt they want to replicate.
2) I was explaining why they changed the Pokemon's height they would have no reason to do this to Sora, Erdrick or Geno.
3) You are right about Erdrick, he very easily could be that tall with the right stance
BUT
That argument explains why he would be that height and the only real reason to do that would be to make him specifically that height, as in the height was decided first, then the character and I have no idea why they'd do that.
4) It could also be Yuri from Tales who isn't a square rep, but I don't really see it.

Like Sora
Sora's actually a teenager. "Brave's" height is 13, the same as Ness and Lucas.

D

Deleted member

BUT
1. There was backlash, but not only because it was just Fire Emblem. Fates was pretty much not even released when Corrin was selected and Roy was a Marth clone when we already had a Marth clone. If Geno got in, which is a character a lot of people following Smash knows about, it wouldn't be just another Mario character to a lot of people. He's definitely a candidate if you think he's Top 50. That's no small feet for a forgotten character. There's a lot of reasons Geno probably wont be in Ultimate. I don't think this is one of them.
2. Ah. Gotcha.
3. They could have just gave him a crouching stance and represented him as a cartoon-like character like how he was back in the day. It's not impossible to imagine and they can take some liberties. It's not like Simon had many modern 3d variations that represented him. Same with Megaman
4. It could very well be Yuri or a Bravely Default character.
5. That makes more sense now.

Dude you're putting words in the mouths of everyone. There has been multiple cases where people speculated Brave might not even be the SE character.

In terms of translation, you're going to have to be more specific.

The link shows that yuusha can translate to Brave or Hero. There's a lot of variants going on. It doesn't seem incorrect grammatically and it's not like they're being 1-to-1 accurate with these names. Joker is nicknamed Jack, for example.

And lastly, if it is some other than a SE rep, cool. It's just that people have pinpointed Sora and Erdrick either due to translation, relevancy, or insiders. There's a lot going for them to discuss. Tales Of and Bravely Default definitely have a shot. In fact, Bravely Default characters could very well fit the height issue we've all been discussing if they take from the 3DS models. Tone down the strawmans.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Not the one used in Dragon Quest.
Yeah! They use YUUSHA as HERO.
Why translate it rong in the files?
Probably the same reason Joker's files are labeled as Jack. Because the japanese coder might not know English, and it doesn't have to be correct in the game files, since it's not actually going to appear in the game?

It's a file name, not a character name.

Graizen

Smash Champion
Ness and Lucas are also teenagers.

Because it’s a codename. Duh.
So becouse its a Codename we can think of anything?

Oh thats great! So Jack must be Po from Kung Fu Panda, becouse Jack must mean Jack Black!

Jboy1010

Smash Cadet
I don't think that he would be the same height as Ness and Lucas. He's short, but not that short.
But he’s far from tall... imagine him being only a little bit taller than Ness/Lucas... there’s also the fact his stance is him crouching

Teeb147

Smash Legend
For height, besides the data being early, it depends what they're going for, including for sora. He can look tall with his more grown up look.
It really depends how they scale them, and also maybe they'd have a reason to go with a certain style.
Dragon quest characters can be all sorts of size.

Here's some art that could give another idea. This could be around sora's height:

Edit: The site isn't letting me fix the images. Just click reply and you should be able to see them in the reply box.

Last edited:

Ez Quinn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EZ Quinn
3DS FC
2810-2492-6140
Switch FC
8449-9291-0216
I also don’t think it is Edrick, I think more chars fit the brave description, like in Kirby games: bandana dee is described as a brave friend

Last edited:

Xigger

Smash Lord

WHOA THERE

I'll have you know that the evidence is ASTOUNDING

-A prominent leaker knows for a fact Nintendo and Square have communicated at least once in the past 4 years
-A relatively average leaker spread a list of a dozen names and every wannabe-leaker agrees
-And finally, the misleading codenames are secretly perfectly accurate, Nintendo is just moron who made it obvious
-Hunched Chibi Kid Erdrick perfect zoner

Graizen

Smash Champion
So i was talking with a girl that had the stats for Brave, and she said something interesting.

The status may be referring to different parts of the character "Brave", so he being heavy, fast and having Landing Lag may be referring to different shapes of him.

Heavy and Fast = Agumon
Landing Lag = Greymon
etc

Teeb147

Smash Legend
So i was talking with a girl that had the stats for Brave, and she said something interesting.

The status may be referring to different parts of the character "Brave", so he being heavy, fast and having Landing Lag may be referring to different shapes of him.

Heavy and Fast = Agumon
Landing Lag = Greymon
etc
Lol, that makes no sense, but I love it.

D

Deleted member

Guys...the answer is so obvious.

Does anyone have any good reason it isn't?
Didn't think so.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I find myself compelled to ask; have any of you considered that Nintendo might have picked the word "Brave" as a code name specifically to make leakers look incredibly stupid?
Granted, leakers are incredibly stupid, as breaking an NDA or other “this is secret until it’s ready for revealing” arrangement carries incredibly serious consequences, including termination of employment, blacklisting from the industry (meaning absoultely no chance of being employed again), and quite possibly burial in lawsuits; there is absolutely no way the payoff of 15 minutes of fame on the Internet is worth suffering those consequences, and leaking incognito (to avoid said consequences) is both virtually impossible and ruins the "payoff" of Internet fame. Anyone with enough intelligence to evaluate risk versus reward in a semi-realistic manner will realize that leaking sensitive content in the gaming industry is essentially suicide, so only complete and utter morons with no sense of self-preservation will make genuine leaks.

What I’m getting at here is, it’s possible that in order to make sure dataminers can't determine the indentity of the DLC characters ahead of schedule this time around, Nintendo not only made the character files for each DLC character use a codename in place of the character's actual name, they went out of their way to choose codenames that are completely non-descriptive of the characters they're assigned to in order to stop dataminers from using the codenames to deduce the character’s identity. In Brave’s case, the character may not be brave in any sense of the word, up to and including the possibility that they are an absolute coward.

TL;DR: Nintendo may be playing 4D chess and using irony to trick us.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
-A prominent leaker knows for a fact Nintendo and Square have communicated at least once in the past 4 years
that one doesnt really prove anything nintendo and se are bound to have communicated several times in the past four years what with the projects theyve been bringing to the switch

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
I find myself compelled to ask; have any of you considered that Nintendo might have picked the word "Brave" as a code name specifically to make leakers look incredibly stupid?
Granted, leakers are incredibly stupid, as breaking an NDA or other “this is secret until it’s ready for revealing” arrangement carries incredibly serious consequences, including termination of employment, blacklisting from the industry (meaning absoultely no chance of being employed again), and quite possibly burial in lawsuits; there is absolutely no way the payoff of 15 minutes of fame on the Internet is worth suffering those consequences, and leaking incognito (to avoid said consequences) is both virtually impossible and ruins the "payoff" of Internet fame. Anyone with enough intelligence to evaluate risk versus reward in a semi-realistic manner will realize that leaking sensitive content in the gaming industry is essentially suicide, so only complete and utter morons with no sense of self-preservation will make genuine leaks.

What I’m getting at here is, it’s possible that in order to make sure dataminers can't determine the indentity of the DLC characters ahead of schedule this time around, Nintendo not only made the character files for each DLC character use a codename in place of the character's actual name, they went out of their way to choose codenames that are completely non-descriptive of the characters they're assigned to in order to stop dataminers from using the codenames to deduce the character’s identity. In Brave’s case, the character may not be brave in any sense of the word, up to and including the possibility that they are an absolute coward.

I had a post in the Slime thread about just that, how Brave could both reference the DQ hero class but also be an actual effective code name by pointing to Slime who has no real connection to the word.

and one in the Ravio thread speculating how Ravio being a coward makes Brave a perfect code name for him.

D

Deleted member

Just wait until Nintendo reveals that they are playing 4D chess by making everyone believe they are playing 4D chess.

Real talk, I feel that they could have just named the characters DLC01-DLC05 if they were just trying to prevent leaks from datamining. If name is dummy, stats could be dummy data as well. Whole situation is fun due to people trying to have their picks fit the stats rather than seeing which characters could fit the stats better but, situation can change one day to the other.

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
If some of the PP stats where filler, what's stopping the ones in brave or jack for being filler as well? Right now there's not much going for saying they will change or wont change until we get the update from a new version.

DQ sales if anything are weird, both DQVIII and IX sold at least a million copies on the west and they were separated by a few years. DQXI is selling relatively well with the 800,000 copies in the west and can reach the million with the Switch version. DQ is never going to sell as much as FF in the West but previous figures show that at least it can sell decently, and current figures put it above many other RPGs in the west as well.

We can speculate all day about how Nintendo choses the DLC. And lets be honest, Nintendo makes decisions that end surprising the fanbase every now and then. And at some point characters that are unfamiliar with the fanbase are going to be added, and most of the time presentation and how you sell the character is what ends up making the difference. Look it at this way from the sales perspective, current sales of Smash Ultimate dwarf P5 both in the west and in Japan (and its also very likely that Ultimate already outsold P5 combined with a few other Persona entries), and Joker its the first DLC added. Thinking about it, it really wouldn't be surprising to see any character at this point.
Because Piranha Plant only had one filler stat. There isn't anything that seems absurdly low or high about Brave or Joker's stats.

DQ is sales are decent at best in the West, and putting it over other JRPGs is definitely noteworthy, however it's worth taking into account that a JRPG character has already been added into Smash. You could argue Sora is a JRPG character, but I think it's fair to say he's more resembling of a Disney character than a JRPG one. You bring up good points about Joker being added and his sales, but I think the difference here is that DQXI is already out. Unless a new game is being released, I see no reason for Nintendo to promote the game. Persona 5 will inevitably come to the Switch and I think it was good on Nintendo to announce a character from a GOTY nominee with a staunch following.

I really don't have time to argue my points, so sorry if I take long to respond again (midterms week, I fell asleep), but I still don't think Erdrick would be a good choice. He's likely, but I think he'll turn out to be an unprofitable addition on our side of the country.

Xigger

Smash Lord
that one doesnt really prove anything nintendo and se are bound to have communicated several times in the past four years what with the projects theyve been bringing to the switch
Okay, you got me...
It was all sarcasm tho

Last edited:
Top Bottom