• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Bowser's Moveset Data & Discussion

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
If you got the same frame count, it's probably because of how tricky slow running and easing out of slow running is in 1/4th. We might just need to have it counted frame by frame to be extra sure.

In either case, we know Bowser stops running really fast.
It is tricky. I did my runs on x1 because that's just the most accurate for my method. It does fall on me to be able to press shield during the skid frames, and maybe that's how I was late. What method do you use? I go into a full run before tilting my control stick to the lower corner to slow down. To sort of "prove" that I was slow running and not running, I would have Bowser running indefintely in place on a ledge, since slow running never takes you over one. I'm still scratching my head as I look at my footage.

I'll probably be taking another look at run skids in the future. One of my big project ideas was to create a thread with every character's skid frames and post it in the Smash Academy sub forum. This sort of tech probably fell by the wayside when people realized they could pull up and then drop shield during a full run in place of their skid. In this way, everybody has an 18 frame skid stop where you have OoS options for the first 11 frames. Much slower, but there's time for dodge rolling if you think your opponent might grab you before you can act, and people loved their dodge rolls for year 1 of Smash 4.

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085
I did it the hard way on 1/4th while trying to ease out of the run for the shortest skid.

Shield stopping has been around for a while, it's a popular choice, but not always the best one. Especially in Bowser's case where skidding grants way better options. It's possibly even better than extended dash dancing with fox trots in Bowser's case because fox trots are a larger commitment and harder to perform for about the same movement but with fewer options.

Shield stopping is great when you need to actually shield something though. Especially if you're shielding with intent to punish when applicable.

Big Sean

Smash Journeyman
Have you guys seen this yet? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXaDSceYApE. I wonder what are optimal punishes for bowser? Off the top of my head jab 1 -> bowser bomb should be true. If a pikachu can charge an up smash it seems like maybe ftilt -> fsmash might be true at low percentages? Also what moves do you think are weak enough to force a person to land but not have enough end lag to follow up? Weak nair? fair at low percentages?

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
Can't look at the video because I'm on my phone, but is RCO lag as exploitable as it was in Brawl?

The main instances where I had it happen to me in this game was when I lost a trade while using Up-B. But in Brawl anything could trigger it.

Last edited:

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
Can't look at the video because I'm on my phone, but is RCO lag as exploitable as it was in Brawl?

The main instances where I had it happen to me in this game was when I lost a trade while using Up-B. But in Brawl anything could trigger it.
It's still character specific. I don't really know if Bowser has it. One primary difference is that in Smash 4, grabbing a ledge nullifies RCO lag. As well as doing an aerial as you land, but that may have been the case in Brawl.

As for our optimal punish, for the ZSS example, Jab to Bowser Bomb should be plenty optimal. Both moves are weight based, so they won't really stop working at higher percents. The problem is that Bowser's moves are all strong enough to put the target in tumble early, and I think any situation where they can tech the ground will nullify RCO lag. The only moves that probably won't ever at low percent are Jab, Nair, Dtilt (very low percents only), maybe Ftilt and Fair, and Fire Breath.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
It's not as abusable because you can't get RCO lag from grabbing a ledge anymore.

Previously in Brawl characters like Marth would Up B to a ledge and you could use a weak WB move and string it into a f-smash or something.

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
Anybody want to see if Bowser is one of the chosen few that can perform this tech? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oBLDQlPkQk. Lagless Ledge Get-Up -> Bowsercide will have me tasting so many ZSS tiers.
Ah, the Marth thing. I didn't know that was possible with other characters. Or that it was stage dependent. It's supposed to have to do with positional indicators and how they change when a character is performing a double jump. So it stands to reason that only the ones that flip could do it, but sure enough, Peach, Zelda, and Little Mac can. So maybe Bowser has hope.

Lagless getup is probably possible with every double jump at some point of it, even Bowsers, but being able to perform it instantly from the let go state is what the video focuses on. Alternatively, when Bowser just lets go and immediately jumps on stage with Side B, that's already very functional. We're airborne and low to the ground long enough for the frame 17 grabbox to come out, and we suffer six landing lag to punish if they are in the middle of a spot dodge, which would beat us if we did this tech instead. Assuming Bowser could perform this tech at the speed of Marth, you're only getting the grab from a grounded version about 5 frames sooner. And it's a grab, so their sheilds aren't safe.

Last edited:

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Got off my ass for once and did some testing between the different bombs on shield damage using the aerial version.

Bowser Bomb - Will guarantee a shield break in the air if they do not power shield even against another Bowser who has the strongest shield. Powershield whittles their shield to roughly 1/3.

Vortex - Garbage. Has half the strength of BB. Don't use this. You can more out of a Dash slash > Dtilt

Slipbomb - VERY VERY slightly less power on breaking shields in comparison to Bowser Bomb. Another Bowser will survive at full shield just damn barely. Testing this on Ike if Slipbomb lands the aerial and ground hit a shield break is guaranteed. So a majority can get their shield broken by Slip if they do not powershield or dodge outright and Slipbomb is pretty fast.

KingKong_ad

Smash Ace
From what I tested, we can reduce our hurtbox with dair while launched vertically. It seems I can survive 3% longer

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Bowser doesn't have the strongest shield.

All shield HP is the same aside from Shield Monado Shulk who's shield is a bit stronger than everyone else's.

I've been playing with Dsmash recently. It's better than I once thought and is still probably more useful than uair.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Bowser doesn't have the strongest shield.

All shield HP is the same aside from Shield Monado Shulk who's shield is a bit stronger than everyone else's.

I've been playing with Dsmash recently. It's better than I once thought and is still probably more useful than uair.
If shield HP is the same how come Ike's shield broke from Slip Bomb and Bowser's did not?

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
Shield break on Bowser Bomb is dependent on the falling hit and Ground Target-only landing hit connecting on that shield. Slip Bomb's landing hit is actually on frame 4 rather than frame 1 of landing, and when you're suffering shieldstun from such heavy attacks, you're being forcibly pushed away. The time that it takes for Bowser to land after touching a shield while falling is just a few frames, but if your target's shield is tall, that amount of frames increases slightly, giving them more time to be pushed away from the landing hitbox. That's the best explanation for why Bowser's didn't break. But given enough tries, I'm certain that Ike's will also not break after some more testing on the outer horizontal edge of his shield. A landing hit that's delayed by three frames is a much bigger problem.

Blame the move. Shield breaks require you to be more directly above the target on Slip Bomb.

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
Aerials with a landing hit have their landing lag significantly reduced when they do hit somebody. Bowser's Dair has a landing hit. Landing lag improves from 40 to 36 frames if the landing hit connects.

I think the words we're looking for is "golly gee, that's great."

Big Sean

Smash Journeyman
I've been learning street fighter recently and it got me thinking. Is the concept of a meaty attack in this game? Like if I tech chase someone and time my attack correctly, are there combos that Bowser ordinarily wouldn't get? If so, what do you think those might be?

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
I've been learning street fighter recently and it got me thinking. Is the concept of a meaty attack in this game? Like if I tech chase someone and time my attack correctly, are there combos that Bowser ordinarily wouldn't get? If so, what do you think those might be?
Full Jab to Bowser Bomb is a thing if they decide to not get up at low percents but not sure that is what you are looking for.

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
MagiusNecros MagiusNecros Nah, a meaty is when you hit with the last possible active frame of a hit box, maximizing frame advantage so you can get a follow-up that wouldn't be possible otherwise. It's just commonly used on opponents that tech as a way to trap them into a situation where they have to take it.

Last edited:

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
Meaty moves, at least as far as I could understand the concept without too much SF knowledge, shouldn't be that big of a study for Smash. Only some jabs ever hit with such low knockback that the target is within range of another attack without having to move toward them. For this game it's more applicable to be using an aerial to hit a target just one frame before landing to maximize frame advantage. In which Bowser has a few true combos out of falling Nair. Double leg hit chains into Utilt at low percent. Nair 1+2 before landing chains into Bair at high percents, that sort of thing. I've been trying but haven't managed to prove that Bowser's Nair could ever true combo into another Nair. King Kong also provided examples of Fair crossups into whatever we want, but that's auto cancel Fair - not a late or falling hit. Some late dash attacks in Smash 4 are pretty good for this concept, but those are also easy to shield, and I don't suspect Bowser's is a good example with such a late FAF.

Last edited:

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085
Wait, I thought meaty hits were just when you time an attack to hit the first vulnerable frame on an opponent's wake up.

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
J Jerodak That's just the best (read: only viable) scenario since you can trap your opponent into that last active frame. The goal is to reduce your recovery on hit/block.

Last edited:

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
EDIT: Looks like Bowsercide may always kill Bowser first, unless the opponent isn't mashing jump.

Last edited:

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
The Genesis 3 rules surrounding this are so stupid. If a Bowsercide happens in bracket you may as well flip a coin.
Actually, on further testing, I may be mistaken.

It seems as though the CPU may in fact just be derpy as **** and sometimes decides to not save itself for no particular reason.

In training mode, if I mash jump when the CPU is in control mode, I can ALWAYS save myself, no matter what % I'm at compared to Bowser.

So it looks like Bowser may in fact die first in all cases now, unless your opponent doesn't know to mash jump to save themselves.

EDIT: Nope, it's worse than that, it goes to SD very rarely and randomly, I think. However, when Bowserciding when Bowser has another stock, some characters can jump out while others cannot jump out period.

Gonna make another thread for this as it's too much to dump here...

EDIT2: On second thought, never mind. I'm not going to have time to do all of the testing, but I can say this for certain: If Bowser has 2 stocks and Bowsercides some characters, they cannot jump out on at all, but only on SOME stages. For example, even mashing jump, Ryu cannot jump out after Bowsercide on FD, but he CAN on battlefield.

As another example, Kirby cannot jump out on FD, but he can on BF. This means that we can kill Kirby via Bowsercide if we have a stock lead on FD, but not other stages where he can definitely recover.

However, to confuse matters further, Villager CAN jump out on both FD AND BF (and recover).

So, there IS some useful information to be gleaned, here, but the amount of testing that needs to be done would be nothing short of mind boggling. You'd need to test every character that can recover (even by walljump) on every legal stage to see who pops out and who doesn't, including Omega versions, especially ones with vertical walls you could jump off of.

I would instead recommend the much more reliable shell shock, as it beats the **** out of trying to memorize which characters get dunked on which stages when Bowser has an extra stock...

Last edited:

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085
Just throwing this out there just in case, Ftilt point blank whiffs can be useful in a few ways; primarily because it crosses up. If you know it's about to happen and your opponent does not, you can often catch them by surprise if you're ready.

It can also cross up a shield while sill doing damage to it, and possibly bait out a shield grab.

This is overall very situational but it's there so it might as well be turned to our advantage in some way. Just keep in mind that this will generally not work on other big characters.

Edit: So I recently got the chance to update my Wii U which means that Dr. Jero is back in the game! Well, the lab game at least...

Anyway, after playing around with up throw, I decided to try it under battlefield platforms at low percents on Zero suit and I noticed that she goes into hitstun breifly but then hard lands

Without factoring rage or staleness, Zero suit is forced to hard land on the platforms this way from 0-50% Now interestingly enough, the higher her percent, the longer it takes her to hard land and the more time you have to do whatever you want. Basically, this means that you take the frames of hitstun she's undergoing and add four to that and there's your new follow up window. More importantly, this also creates opportunities to go for mix-ups and platform pressure.

Now unfortunately, the moment she begins tumbling out of up throw is also when the forced landing no longer works. So no free platform tech chase unfortunately, at least not on battlefield's lower platform anyway, you can force it on smashvile but only if zero suit is trying to d.I away and even then only from 51-52%. It works on lylat's middle platform but the ship has to be tilting and there are already enough variables involved here. The most viable stage is probably Town and city, It works on the middle platform of Town and city's opening transition as long as it's positioned correctly. It also works on the stationary side platforms but she needs to be between 75 - 78% for the landing to be absolutely forced regardless of D.I. Keep in mind thst this does not factor rage or staleness so the real numbers may fluctuate but those are probably the most stable conditions regardless.

I'm going to continue testing this against the rest of the cast. As usual, I will update this if I find anything relevant. I'm also open to requests! Hope this helps!

Updates:
Up throw to platforms vs...

Shiek:

Battlefield lower: 0-51% inescapable hard landing

Battlefield upper: 90-96% punishes D.I away with forced tech landing.

Town and city first layout side platforms: 74% inescapable tech landing.

74-82% punishes d.I away with tech landing.

King Dedede:

Battlefield lower: 0-51% forced hard landing.

Battlefield upper: 105-127% forced tech landing.

105-139% punishes d.I away.

Town and city side platforms: 79-110% forced tech landing.

79-122% punishes d.I away.

Smashville: 0-61% forced hard landing.

62-63% forced tech landing.

62-75% punishes d.I away.

The numbers on Smashville and Town and city II are exactly the same. King Dedede has the best vertical resistance of any character (as far as I know) so these numbers are very likely to be as good as it gets. These are amazing numbers though, so that still leaves plenty of room for great numbers on other characters.

Falcon:
Battlefield lower: 0-56% H.landing
Upper: 110-112% T.landing
110-123% D.I punish
U-throw -> U-tilt -> Upper: 20-22% T.landing

Mac:
Battlefield lower: 0-4% H.landing
Upper: 81-95% T.landing
81-105% D.I punish

Sonic:
Battlefield lower: 0-16% H.landing
Upper: 84-91% D.I punish

Ganondorf:
Battlefield lower: 6-58% H.landing
Upper:113-123% D.I punish

Mega man:
Battlefield lower: 0-30% H.landing
Upper: 90-99% T.landing
90-110% D.I punish

So for now I am just going to focus on battlefield numbers but I may add other numbers later. Ganondorf was interesting because he's the first character so far who actually pops out too low to land on the lower platform at 0% and his numbers are not as great as I was expecting, I guess they could be worse though.

I also finally got to look at the new uptilt! (I've been waiting months to properly lab this move!) So you know when you block a move and try to punish with a grab or something but your opponent is mix-in a lot of spot dodging or rolling behind you? Turns out up tilt is a solid answer for that, but there's a small catch, you have to do it on reaction to the roll/dodge and not preemptively.

This means you have to let them go first but if they are just playing scared or evasive anyway that's not so much a problem because they aren't going to initiate the first attack anyway.

You could also mix this up with down tilts, especially if they have a low shield. Otherwise, it's just a simple tactic that should help keep your opponent honest. Hard reads with fsmash work too, though.

Against spot dodge, it works best on tall characters because the active frames cover them for more time but it should work decently on any character.

If you want a faster way to initiate an attack while still having coverage, this input might be useful. (Hold jab, hold up, tap jab) this should give you an option select between jab combo and up tilt if done correctly. This option select does lose to shield however, so don't spam it, save it for when they are being wary of the grab but you feel like they may still initiate an attack first.

The tried and true fortress out of shield is also a good choice in this case and it isn't a bad option, but the rewards are not as high.

So yeah, I got the opportunity to play around with N-air, and I gotta say, while I have sorta mixed feelings about it, it's potential as a shield breaker cannot be ignored.

So let's go ahead and take a look at what makes this such a great shield breaker. First and foremost, it's fast, fast enough to be difficult to react to. This means that your opponent is less likely to change their mind and stop shielding.

Secondly, it's an aerial, which shields are typically the natural enemies of, so players are already naturally conditioned to shield when you're approaching from the air.

Thirdly, It's multi-hitting, and if it connects properly, they should work as a true blockstun, but there can also be gaps depending on position which I guess could add room to create subtle mix ups. This also means that it isn't completely ruined by perfect shield as the remaining hits should still be able to deal some damage.

Finally, it does huge damage! Almost as much as a down tilt, and in fact one down tilt combined with one neutral air will break a shield just as landing two down tilts is enough to break shields.

This means Bowser does not need to only land the down tilt block string two times for shield breaks, which gives him more freedom and mix-up potential with his non-bomb shield break capabilities.

This could also help Bowser as he's trying to land, if you happen to know that your opponent has a low enough shield, why not land with a neutral air? They shield because it's only natural to shield sn aerial but then you hit for 18-24% on their shield and break it.

But overall it just seems like another way to add pressure through the match if you opponent has to constantly worry about if it's safe to shield or not and maybe it'll even be another reason to use fire breath a bit more, it can whittle shields down quite effectively.

Overall, it's just an idea for now, but the facts are there and I do believe it's worth a shot if it hasn't been tried already.

Again, hope that helps.

Last edited:

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Can someone help me out? Can Bowser Dash Dance? At least I think thats what I'm referring to. Where in the middle of a dash you can immediately turn around without skidding or sliding?

I can do it with DK but for the life of me I can't do it with Bowser.

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
Can someone help me out? Can Bowser Dash Dance? At least I think thats what I'm referring to. Where in the middle of a dash you can immediately turn around without skidding or sliding?

Sure, every character can do that. You just have to practice performing it at the end of the dash animation, not before. I never really see Bowsers try it though. The time it takes to perform a full initial dash is long, the distance gained is not very far, and with such a large frame, it doesn't accomplish much as far as footsies and punishing. I won't say it's useless for Bowser to learn to Dash Dance - this is a very movement centric game, I'm just saying you won't get as much out of it as slimmer characters.

Everyone in the cast can do it. It's referred to as a "perfect pivot".
He's talking about this.

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085

Bowser's dash dance method is different from how most of the cast does it. It's literally dash, stop, repeat. Bowser's run skid is really short compared to most of the cast, giving him some the best movement on the ground while running. Slso, because you quickly return to neutral out of it, there are more options.

If you master it, it's pretty useful in matches because it gives Bowser a baiting and pressure option in neutral that doesn't require a jump or putting out a hitbox. Like Zapp said, movement is incredibly important.

I would even go as far to say that you may want to place key importance in developing movement as much as possible to make sure you can at least use most movement options comfortably before working in depth on anything else.

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
Bowser's dash dance method is different from how most of the cast does it. It's literally dash, stop, repeat. Bowser's run skid is really short compared to most of the cast, giving him some the best movement on the ground while running. Slso, because you quickly return to neutral out of it, there are more options.
Oh yes, I nearly was about to mention this. If you're coming off of playing DK, Bowser's skid stop is very important to try out. DK almost never goes into a full run unless his intention is to convert it to a RAR Bair. But with Bowser, simply stopping a run takes like 8 or so frames compared to DK's 20+. Our traction is fantastic, and this speedy return to a neutral state helps with our moveset's high startup to actually compete with an opponent's aggression. Whenever I've entered a run at my opponent, I always stop short of jabbing distance. This is sort of Bowser's optimal "zoning range". Because constant jab poking will stuff any ground based approach they want to do to clear the remaining distance to Bowser. And our reward from simple jabs makes it an excellent threat.

But yeah, trying out Bowser's dash dance/dance trot does seem abnormally difficult. Like, I know the timing necessary, but I can't get it as consistently as other characters who have faster versions of it. I've heard people mention this is "easier" to do with various characters, but I can't say from personal testing whether Characters have unique time windows or anything like that. Just unique timings.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Thanks guys! Yes that was the video I was trying to study earlier this morning.

I played a Roy who faked me out so much and only then realized this was possible for even my characters.

pitfall356

Smash Apprentice
I've never really done any messing around with Bowser on this subject, so this might already be known, but I started testing with shield-breaking combos he might have and I think I figured some out.

dtilt to ftilt seem to break often, though a couple times it was a bit wonky. Two jabs to dtilt is also guaranteed, provided you don't push them too far away for the fourth hit to connect. By guaranteed I mean that it will break if all the moves connect on one shield. Fsmash deals crazy damage to shields so if you can connect dtilt, with hit 1 true comboing into hit 2, it should break.

I was disappointed to see firebreath shield poke every time instead of going for the break. I was really hoping I could force a break situation on someone by pushing them against a ledge and going for breath, which would be a fantastic way to make the move super valid. I never got around to testing it, but fair might be a good start to confirming some string of shield hits.

In the end, none of these true combo (except for both swipes of dtilt), so this all really depends on the opponent not reacting out of shield or anything, which shouldn't really happen. But if someone blocks both of your jabs, dtilt will probably be a good followup because it comes out quickly, deals good damage and knockback, generally catches spotdodges, and will break a shield if they try nothing else.

If anyone else knows of some slick shield strings/combos, let me know. I'd love to try and incorporate them into my game.

Dε√ilj∦o

Smash Journeyman
If Bowser's aerials could be used on shields and do consistent damage (like Ganon's), wich never happens as Bowser unless fair cause it is relatively safe if you space it good, I would have put more time in thinking about your experiment pitfall356 pitfall356 , but nobody is gonna sit there and let their shield break if they see it getting smaller because of down tilt. Good players usually run away and try to stop shielding when it happens, and they will just try to keep you away from them, wich is not hard to do against Bowser. However, one thing is sure is that trying this on characters with crappy shields like Meta Knight or Rosalina will for sure give us an advantage in frightening them, and thus Fire Breath will be useful at shieldpoking them and raking up damage.

Last edited:

pitfall356

Smash Apprentice
I guess the main point of interest here is jab combo to dtilt. If someone blocks both of your jabs on shield, just throw out dtilt, since it will beat many options and break their shield if for some reason they didn't drop it by the time the first swipe connected.

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085
Well there's no rule saying you must do all the shield damage at once. If the shield iscalready damaged, a surprise n-air might be just what you need to finish it off.

If you get a dtilt shield break at low percents near a ledge, it's generally a good idea to jump into the opponent before they reach the ground. It gaurantees that they loose the stock instead of just taking 32% and an edgeguard.

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
This video shows us that low percent shield breaks have the longest stun time. So if your opponent is in that iffy 30-40% range where you're not sure a full charged Fsmash will kill from where they are, use all the time you need to need to push them to ledge. What's great about Bowser's walk is that his max speed is never fast enough to walk past a stationary opponent. You'd be surprised to hear this is an issue for characters like Marth and little mac who also get common shield breaks but have too fast of a walk speed.

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085
When I say low percent, I'm talking about percent where fsmash will not k.o. Even then, this might still be a better option, if you can get it, for various other reasons. Both options take the stock anyway, but fsmash has a minimum percent range where it will k.o while the other option does not. Though the second option does require a low cooldown shield break near the ledge, or a well placed bomb near the ledge, which does it automatically.

Last edited:
Top Bottom