• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Bowser's Castle

Hitman JT

The Infinite One
NNID
JT.Hitman
3DS FC
1435-5432-6684
3rd place out of 63 today. Think I have a better handle on the Yoshi and Fox matchups, but f*** Sonic.

Uncle

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Recently attended a local, It was the first offline smash 4 event I have been to so far. Managed to take one game off the number five in the state, but I got exposed in the next two matches. Did pretty well overall till I finally got 2-0'd by uncle in round 4. I finished in 13th place out of 35 with 3 wins and 2 losses. The match were I got exposed was on stream; I'll have it posted as soon as I see it.
I didn't realize you and @ Uncle Uncle were in the same state!
Jero, it was awesome to see you again (we haven't talked in person since the late Brawl days), play a bunch of friendlies with you, and compete against you. It was also really cool of you to give me a sneak peek at your latest Koopa research. ;)

To everyone else, let it be known that Jerodak is one sharp dude. His insights are great to see here and even better to hear in person. I ended up learning a few new things about Bowser that day, and I revisited my thoughts on some old things, as well. He also kept me on my toes in battle and punished one of NC's best players for underestimating him.

Spotted an "Uncle" on the Smashcon registration list. @ Uncle Uncle that you?
That is 100% me, and my body is 100% ready for Smashcon. I saw your name and Ash's name on the list too. Bowsers are flooding the streets, man! :4bowser::4bowser::4bowser::4bowser::4bowser::4bowser::4bowser::4bowser::4bowser::4bowser::4bowser::4bowser:

D

Deleted member 189823

Guys, I have goodies. I made 6th in a tournament of 64 going all Bowser (okay, I actually went ZSS ONE match...and did horrible). Everybody be telling me I got a lot better and that I should never switch Bowser again (last tournament I went all-Bowser I ranked 4th out of 64, back in late December).

Wish I had matches to show, but I didn't want to offend the others (some people feel salty when you when and save the replay...). I had pretty great moments... (ಥ⌣ಥ)

Moral of the story: Don't go ZSS on tournaments, eveerrrrr.
Yeah, I mean. Hello.

EDIT: I feel so rude, now... (´□`)

Last edited by a moderator:

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085
@Oz

Many apologies for failing to properly acknowledge your achievement sooner. You did quite well in that tournament and those results are certainly worthy of praise. Keep up the good work!

@ Uncle Uncle It was also good to see you again and get back out in the scene. Hopefully, I'll be able to at least go to the SoS monthly events fairly consistently because it happens to be in a pretty good location. Also, those friendlies were a great boon to me as well. Next time we're both at an event I'd like to vs your Wario a few times, that's one match that seems pretty important to learn if the Wario knows what they are doing. Though it still seems better than Brawl Wario I guess.

Last edited:

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
3rd place out of 63 today. Think I have a better handle on the Yoshi and Fox matchups, but f*** Sonic.
Great job dude!!

I just got 16th out of 155 at a regional. I lost to Angbad's Olimar and Zan's TL (again noooooo). But I had to beat a ton of Janky characters to get there, so I'm pretty pleased.

I'm going to a lot of big tournaments between now and September. Shooting for even higher next time!

D

Deleted member 189823

I'm sorry ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ
I'll make 2nd next time. And $500.

Corgian

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Corgian
3DS FC
2079-7941-6787
Yooo, I got 9th in Doubles with Black Guy Gamer at the Paragon Sponsorship tournament :4bowser:x:4wario2:. Those doubles matches were the hypest. The one that we lost in was on stream against KDB and Poltergust, where I got some hype kills, but we were sadly outplayed. I sadly got put in a really unfortunate place in bracket in Singles, having to face Xaltis round 2, and then having to play against a Greninja that was Bowser Bomb's old training partner. That wouldn't have been so bad if I actually had Greninja matchup experience. I'm inviting Coffee over for a smashfest soon so I can grind out that matchup for a few hours or so.

Also, in Seibrik's Tierbreakers program I made it all the way to Winners Finals, but ended up losing to Kazu's Fox. I was playing really well, but he got in my head towards the end and took it. In the top 8 bracket of Tierbreakers, I placed 2nd farthest in my crew, with only 8BitMan placing further. He was double eliminated by Kazu's Fox, considering the Fox matchup is excruciatingly hard for him. Both the Tierbreakers tournament and the Paragon sponsorship tournament were the same day.

I had several people come up to me on Saturday saying how impressed they were with my Bowser. I realized the problem I had been having with my Bowser and put in a ton of work to fix it. I needed to expand my playstyle to a more offensive one after watching Nick Riddle's bowser in the Low-Tier tournament. I'm currently just trying to find a top-tier player to help mentor me, so I can finally get in hours of reliable practice with solid, experienced advice.

I've also started a Venue with my girlfriend in our apartment called The Doghouse. We'll be streaming tournaments and Smashfests, as well as other competitive games (Splatoon, Pokémon VGC), and some Let's Plays. If you're interested in Bowser-centric streams, check the link in my signature.

Last edited:

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206
For the life of me, I can't figure bowser's approach game out. How do you all manage to get in when playing against very patient players? Especially the quicker ones like fox. Bowser doesn't seem like he has many mixups at his disposal

:006:

Corgian

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Corgian
3DS FC
2079-7941-6787
For the life of me, I can't figure bowser's approach game out. How do you all manage to get in when playing against very patient players? Especially the quicker ones like fox. Bowser doesn't seem like he has many mixups at his disposal

I very rarely go in on :4fox:. Instead, I do various safe movements to make Fox try to go in and punish. Fox doesn't have that many big moves, but he does have fast ones. Take advantage of this. Our moves last a good while, and Fox will get bapped by them, and fly away. From there learn the way that your Fox player returns to neutral. I almost always punish side-B and force them into the habit of using up-B instead. Remember, Fox Illusion has almost no lag on landing when done aerially, but it's still totally punishable if you're spaced right. After a while, Fox will start playing kind of defensively, since the best defensive options Fox has is empty-short hop mix-ups, RAR, and jump-cancelled pivot grabs (which if he uses against Bowser will kill him). Play patiently, realize that while up-B is great for stopping Fox while landing, it's also one of the riskiest moves to use in neutral against him. Also, Bowser's walk is always spoopy for Fox. He doesn't like you having all your options, so use it occasionally. If Fox starts spamming lasers, he is trying to force you to come in on him. Lasers rack up damage slowly, sure, but you're Bowser, and Fox is a light-weight. Putting you at higher percents is in our advantage, so remain calm. Fox has very linear recovery so Fire breath off stage is very useful. Fox is easily one of my favorite match-ups for Bowser, especially because SFL has some really solid ones that all play differently and because I know the character since I used to play him.

Also, Bowser's approach game is all about spacing. We have really big beefy moves. Be up in someone's face and spook them out as a wall. Or you could play offensively and use our many silly lagless options such as fair, bair, klaw into everything. I enjoy using both.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 189823

He doesn't need a ton of options, but rather, just a very few solid ones. =) My go-to tends to be to run up, Shield, and just generally wait to what your opponent has in store for you. I just...run in. I don't think about it too much.

D

Deleted member 189823

Let me rephrase (and possibly) add to what I said:

That question reminds me back of my Brawl days. Whenever I would pick up a character, I would ask myself, "what does X approach with?". Basically, what move is spammable and what would ensure a safe approach (just look at the plethora of Brawl characters with a good B-Air, like Wolf, DDD, Kirby, DK, etc.). Thing is, approaching is just something you develop, and you go on realizing what goes with what, depending on the situation.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Retreating fair is pretty safe, plus you can buffer a jab when you land and people often run into it because fair looks like it should be punishable.

Idk, sometimes I use fire breath to approach on certain characters and that works ok.

Big Sean

Smash Journeyman
Retreating bair is also safe. If you bait a grab it can be a fortress, klaw, or reverse bowser bomb. Jab 1 is fairly safe and perfectly spaced ftilt is safe on shield. Bowser isn't sheik though, you don't throw out a bunch of safe moves and hope they hit. You trick them into touching your shield or overcommitting in some other way and gain momentum that way.

Last edited:

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
I'm glad ftilt is pretty good in Smash 4, I accidentally pivot ftilt when trying to pivot grab sometimes, lel.

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085
I'm glad ftilt is pretty good in Smash 4, I accidentally pivot ftilt when trying to pivot grab sometimes, lel.
I think that's based on how long you take to do the grab input. If you delay the grab a bit too long it just ftilts, same with pivot fsmash.

Also I recommend when poking with with jabs that you always scout rolls. Jab 1 recovers fast enough to net a punish vs most rolls. Usually a fortress, or side b, but down b and up smash can work too.

Last edited:

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Retreating fair is a waste. You give up stage control and expose your blind spot. I'm much more about retreating bair, as people are scared of it. I find it easier to get punishes out of bair baits.

Corgian

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Corgian
3DS FC
2079-7941-6787
Can I post my stream here because I'm going to be streaming live from The Doghouse with 8-Bit Man, Scary Ed, Fierce, and Prof Oats.

D

Deleted member 189823

I met Scary Ed and 8-Bit Man when I went to Versus in FL. We were playing Brawl friendlies, tho.

Last edited by a moderator:

Corgian

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Corgian
3DS FC
2079-7941-6787
I'm having a massive Smashfest tonight with a bunch of players. Some are top players, like 8-Bit Man and Master Raven. Others are upcoming players like Dath who is an incredible :4robinf:. You're going to see some amazing play tonight. I beat Ed's Sheik with my Bowser last time. Let's see if I can beat Master Raven's. :p Mind if I post a link?

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
Did you really ask for permission to post a link? Come on lol

Good job beating Ed, is there a link to that set? You shouldn't have a problem with Dath, although Robin got some big changes from this new patch...I could be wrong.

Master Raven

Smash Master
I'm having a massive Smashfest tonight with a bunch of players. Some are top players, like 8-Bit Man and Master Raven. Others are upcoming players like Dath who is an incredible :4robinf:. You're going to see some amazing play tonight. I beat Ed's Sheik with my Bowser last time. Let's see if I can beat Master Raven's. :p Mind if I post a link?
I'm not making it tonight :( no ride

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
are you serious? I've thought for years that Brawl Bowser looked disgusting lol

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Brawl Bowser is amazing. You all crazy.

Got another big 100+ tournament tomorrow. Top 32 make it out to bracket. Wish me luck!

Top Bottom