• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Bowser's Castle

Kooky Koopa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Koopa1989
3DS FC
4184-2976-0132
Yesterday I participated in one of the new tournament mode competitions and ended up 28th out of 100. I went Bowser all the way and fought a nice variety of characters. His durability and hard hitting attacks seem to stand out a lot more in FFA, especially in a scrum. Was crazy fun and I think I'll be squeezing in more FFA tournaments when I get the chance.

Last edited:

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
Yeah love the new tourney mode. I've won 2 so far (both with Luigi. Heheh...). It's really cool. Only drawback is the fact that you can't make a 1 vs. 1 tourney and/or a For Glory mode one. So, yeah, that's a huge problem... but besides that it's amazing!

Hitman JT

The Infinite One
NNID
JT.Hitman
3DS FC
1435-5432-6684
I gave up on tourney mode after losing a finals match to an extremely laggy mexican Falcon because of omega Pyrosphere and its edges.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Yeah, cleared out one tournament and placed first. Tried another and it had 5-8 seconds of lag on every action.

I wish they'd let you drop after you've lost all your stocks without punishing you. It sucks to sit there and watch a slide show for 5 minutes after you've intentionally SDed just to end the lagfest faster...

I've also decided to change up my control setup so that I have tap to jump off and need to squeeze the L-trigger to jump to do fortress oos now. Need to adjust to the new muscle memory, but I think it'll be good in the long run...

Last edited:

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
You honestly don't need to use shoulder buttons for jumping, depending on what your control scheme is.

If you have Y still mapped to jump, you can just plink Y and B and get Up-B OoS, or any instant special moves just fine. Do the same with X and A to get USmash OoS. I have R set to jump but pretty much never use it lol. I had tried to get into the habit of using R more consistently but then just fell back on ~6 years of muscle memory.

R is a dead button for me pretty much. I've been trying to figure out for months what I could set that damn button to.

Last edited:

Hitman JT

The Infinite One
NNID
JT.Hitman
3DS FC
1435-5432-6684
Also 2 stock 3 minutes is cancer. One Fox I ran into literally tried to run away, shoot lasers, and win by percentage. Luckily I killed him with 9 seconds remaining, but come on now.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
You honestly don't need to use shoulder buttons for jumping, depending on what your control scheme is.

If you have Y still mapped to jump, you can just plink Y and B and get Up-B OoS, or any instant special moves just fine. Do the same with X and A to get USmash OoS. I have R set to jump but pretty much never use it lol. I had tried to get into the habit of using R more consistently but then just fell back on ~6 years of muscle memory.
Just don't know if I can roll my thumb quickly enough from Y to B...

I figure I'll get the hang of it. I learned wiimote+nunchuk at one point years back I'm sure I can get this down.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
It is something that will take a while to get used to. I have big ass hands anyway so it wasn't that bad, and I had to figure it out in order to do instant Phantasms back in the day with Falco. I do think that learning that method does have some merits if you do use other characters. But, for Bowser you can honestly run any scheme. Even having tap jump on isn't that bad if your execution is really good.

Tilt stick Bowser is still something to consider, in my opinion. It's the only way you can get the OG down+c and up+c for tilts now, which kind of matter since all of Bowser's tilts are pretty good. The new DSmash buff and the nuances of tilt stick may steer someone away from something like that.

I don't even run tilt stick, so I don't know why I keep talking about it tbh lol.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 189823

So a friend be, liek, "if i hadnt played awful in our set i woulda won". It was about our set at LQs last tournament, he was going ZSS. 2-0'd me the first match, I double 2-0'd him the other two. It was pretty funny, actually.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
But, for Bowser you can honestly run any scheme. Even having tap jump on isn't that bad if your execution is really good.
Yeah, I just wanted to make sure I NEVER spent my jump on tapping up ever again.

Tilt stick Bowser is still something to consider, in my opinion. It's the only way you can get the OG down+c and up+c for tilts now.
Ha, yep. I also just did this as well but now I find myself using tilts more readily without it for some bizarre reason (and not just utilt...).

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
Oh yeahhhhh I heard the replay upload thing was shafted by the classic 3 min. problem.

They really can't just extend the time limit to something feasible like 5? For For Glory? Unlimited would be optimal but probably not feasible...but at least be consistent with something that's already preset in the game. I figured they would've built it around that mode. Is recording and playing back inputs for 5 minutes REALLY that difficult for this game? (...that is how replays work, right?)

Last edited:

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
And yes, the replay thing is bizarre.

Youtube is footing the bandwidth bill (as they always do) so I have no clue why the limit exists...

Hitman JT

The Infinite One
NNID
JT.Hitman
3DS FC
1435-5432-6684
Yeah replays are just reading back inputs rather than capturing video. It's why they get borked in every new patch.

I don't remember USF4's youtube upload having any such limits so I really don't know what Nintendo's thinking.

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085
There are a lot of weird things like that in the game. I'd like replays much more if I could rewind, fast-forward and so on.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
and training mode is still kind of lack luster for what it's worth. I figured since namco was on board they'd add a pretty cool training mode, since it has been like...18 years lol

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085
@ Cassius. Cassius. Agreed, training could do with at least a few simple changes. Even if they couldn't do recordable dummies, at least a "auto guard" and maybe even an all guard setting. Stuff like that.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Ugh, I'm out. The ROB was so annoying to fight. Literally just got gyro'd nonstop. I really need sound to play against spammy projectile characters. :/ Instead I just got Melee sounds blasted in my face.

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
@ Zigsta Zigsta I have the same issue with sound and projectile characters. I mean, it's not impossible without sound, but I end up eating stuff I normally wouldn't and it takes an entire match to acclimate. By then it's too late. :urg::urg::urg:

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I realized last night after looking through all the pools that I got stuck in the worst one. My pool had 6 people who could have made it out. 3 out of the 8 total pools had randoms get out. Yaaaaayyyy.

The tournament had a TON of issues. Lots of people are agreeing that they're never going back to SSS.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
Damn it was really that bad? Just seeding, or was the venue garbage?

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I imagine the replay recording is limited to 3 minutes because nobody wants to see 7 minutes of stall play or whatever. That and they expect your average FG match to take less than that.

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
I realized last night after looking through all the pools that I got stuck in the worst one. My pool had 6 people who could have made it out. 3 out of the 8 total pools had randoms get out. Yaaaaayyyy.

The tournament had a TON of issues. Lots of people are agreeing that they're never going back to SSS.
It was also bad that the whole building burnt down after the event. Nobody was hurt but it means they'll have to find a new venue...

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Damn it was really that bad? Just seeding, or was the venue garbage?
1) The organizer said there would be 25 Wii U setups ready to go. Day of he says they have NO adapters.

2) Venue was gonna open at 10 AM. It opened at 11.

3) ALL the Wii Us hadn't updated to the latest patch, AND they didn't even have all the characters unlocked.

4) Were told the restaurants below us would be open. They were closed.

5) Were told the restaurants would open at noon. They didn't.

6) Pizza was brought for sale, but no announcement was made. Some people had no idea.

7) Only food within walking distance was vending machines.

8) Doubles was supposed to start at 12. It started around 2:30.

9) Organizer didn't let the Smash 4 TO seed/sort pools personally. My pool literally had 4 members of 2Scoops, counting myself, and two of us drowned due to the organizer's poor seeding.

10) Were told the night before to look for lot 2 to park. There was no lot 2.

11) Less than an hour before the venue was supposed to open, the organizer said to park in lot C and look for yellow taped off area. Many people couldn't find it or had no idea, so they parked wherever and prayed they didn't get a ticket or get towed. Not sure if anyone did....

12) Melee TOs got a very loud mic. Smash 4 TOs got a much quieter one. There were 16 DQs in pools, some of which said they honestly couldn't hear their pool was called.

13) Only had 13 setups as opposed to the promised 25.

14) People who brought in adapters weren't given any compensation.

15) Had to preregister online, and an almost $2 processing fee was charged. Event ended up costing $10 more than a usual event in SoCal.

16) Organizer refused to use Challonge or Tio and instead used his own site, Smash.gg. Brackets weren't updated live. TOs had to update on paper and then give to someone to enter into the site.

17) Not sure how, but somehow the organizer lost the top 32 bracket. It had to be remade on paper.

18) Melee setups were allowed to have sound, but Smash 4 setups were all muted.

19) Melee livestream got a massive floor to ceiling TV, while Smash 4 didn't get a TV at all.

That's just everything off the top of my head.

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
1)

12) Melee TOs got a very loud mic. Smash 4 TOs got a much quieter one. There were 16 DQs in pools, some of which said they honestly couldn't hear their pool was called.

18) Melee setups were allowed to have sound, but Smash 4 setups were all muted.

19) Melee livestream got a massive floor to ceiling TV, while Smash 4 didn't get a TV at all.

That's just everything off the top of my head.
Oh my freaking god... I hate this stuff so much. It's just ridiculous to favor a 15-year-old piece of garbage (compared to latest Smash) over Smash Bros. 4. Those fools need to get with the freaking times. I don't mean to get to upset but the whole Melee deal always gets me really worked up... Just play the latest, beautiful, HD Smash Bros. game that poor Sakurai worked his freaking butt off for. Man...

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085
@ Xandercosm Xandercosm I understand why you're feeling so frustrated. I can see that you are clearly very passionate about the game. However, the people who play melee are equally passionate about that game. What happened to Zigsta and the other Smash 4 players really sucked; I'd really like to hear more good news from Zigsta regarding tournaments, especially after the Apex debacle. However, it's not fair to condemn the entire Melee community because of one poorly run event. Even if it happens to be common occurrence, getting mad and spewing your hot wrath on Melee players only give them more reason to resent Smash 4 and reflects poorly on the whole community. I wasn't here for the Melee/Brawl "war" and I'm glad I wasn't. However, If there is one thing to take away from it all, it's that you can't really win an argument, especially between people as stubborn and tenacious as Smash players.

Long story short: Let's please avoid anti-melee talk if we we can, thank you.

Last edited:

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
@ Xandercosm Xandercosm I understand why you're feeling so frustrated. I can see that you are clearly very passionate about the game. However, the people who play melee are equally passionate about that game. What happened to Zigsta and the other Smash 4 players really sucked; I'd really like to hear more good news from Zigsta regarding tournaments, especially after the Apex debacle. However, it's not fair to condemn the entire Melee community because of one poorly run event. Even if it happens to be common occurrence, getting mad and spewing your hot wrath on Melee players only give them more reason to resent Smash 4 and reflects poorly on the whole community. I wasn't here for the Melee/Brawl "war" and I'm glad I wasn't. However, If there is one thing to take away from it all, it's that you can't really win an argument, especially between people as stubborn and tenacious as Smash players.

Long story short: Let's please avoid anti-melee talk if we we can, thank you.
Lol "hot wrath"... But seriously, I completely disagree.

D

Deleted member 189823

That's so sad, Zigurat. ),: And I thought our Brawl tournaments used to be awful...(they were)

Top Bottom