• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bowser MU discussion

Chaos_Blasta

Smash Journeyman
Bowser-Zelda can be at Bowser's advantage imo

and it's not hilariously easy to get a starting hit on fox lol

Chaos_Blasta

Smash Journeyman
If you weren't a fatass with absolutely horrid endlag on basically everything and horrible frame data overall maybe that would be feasible

enjoy lasers

Chaos_Blasta

Smash Journeyman
IDK. The biggest problem vs Zelda is that she can zone you out hard with dins if you let her have any breathing room at all. You have to be agressive, being mindful that she has fairly good frame data and can almost always dodge things, and just try to get the simple hits in until you build a good amount of %. I've killed her with Uair at around 60% lmao.

Jacob29

Smash Ace
Bowser v Link. Whadya recon?

I keep getting caught above him with up tilt and up smash.

Then there is projectile bombardment.

Seems like a hard MU

Frost | Odds

Puddings: 1 /// Odds: 0
Link hoses Bowser really hard, unless it's on Warioware or Yoshi's basically.

It's not impossible, but probably 70/30. I think it's Bowser's worst MU.

Jacob29

Smash Ace
I dunno.... ZSS is pretty bad. Unless there's something im missing.

But I just seem to be a walking combo video vs her.

Jacob29

Smash Ace
Yeah but it seem's extra combo video-y vs her. Vs others I don't mind taking a few hits in a row, but vs ZSS its like a whole stock in a row if I play it badly.

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
Bowser has always seemed to me like a all or nothing character. If he gets momentum there is almost no stopping him, but if he's pressured it's over (almost).
I feel that the Ike v Bowser MU is fairly easy for Bowser to capitalize on. Ike's combo game just isn't suited to deal with Bowser's armor. One Nair and the match is reset and Ike's side be for approach is defeated by Flame Breath.

Chaos_Blasta

Smash Journeyman
Bowser-Ike is fairly easy.

The biggest problem is recoering, because you can easily get hit by aerials or even by an Fsmash depending on how you are recovering. It's usually safe as long as you recover very high or if you sweetspot the ledge (Although obviously Down B ledgegrab is still the best option)

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
Bowser-Ike is fairly easy.

The biggest problem is recoering, because you can easily get hit by aerials or even by an Fsmash depending on how you are recovering. It's usually safe as long as you recover very high or if you sweetspot the ledge (Although obviously Down B ledgegrab is still the best option)
I don't think that it's one sided. Ike's range definitely gives Bowser pause, but I think that King Koopa has the advantage here.

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
I'm making a MU chart and I'm on Bowser right now so I will need your help with the MUs. First off, I already got CF and Zard, now I need Diddy Kong. Thoughts?

Frost | Odds

Puddings: 1 /// Odds: 0
Diddy should poop on bowser if he knows how to play remotely defensively. Bowser can't really get through the projectiles or the command grab, and is super vulnerable to Diddy's meteor (and command grab spike).

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
Yeah I haven't actually played the MU from Bowser's point of view, but I definitely think it's in Diddy's favor. It's interesting to note that Bowser can armor through bananas and not slip though.

Jacob29

Smash Ace
But he can't attack.

Sure he can walk over them, but the second he wants to use his D-Tilt he trips. (or at least i am pretty sure this is what happens).

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
But he can't attack.

Sure he can walk over them, but the second he wants to use his D-Tilt he trips. (or at least i am pretty sure this is what happens).
No I meant he can armor through them when Diddy throws them at him.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
Yes but to what end? Diddy could just take advantage of his poor approach. Also ICs?
Let's say Diddy tries to approach by glide tossing a banana, Bowser can dash attack and not slip on said banana thus punishing Diddy's approach, or you could Koopa Klaw through the 'nana and grab him etc.

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
Let's say Diddy tries to approach by glide tossing a banana, Bowser can dash attack and not slip on said banana thus punishing Diddy's approach, or you could Koopa Klaw through the 'nana and grab him etc.
Or he could glide toss a retreat and then hit your dash attack with a side b. I think that he has the advantage here, but it's not a huge advantage. I'm really sorry to rush you guys, but I have 1681 MUs to research. Sorry if you feel pressured.
I'm on Ike, Ivy, and Jiggs right now. I think Bowser has an advantage against Ike and Ivy.

Last edited:

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
Or he could glide toss a retreat and then hit your dash attack with a side b. I think that he has the advantage here, but it's not a huge advantage. I'm really sorry to rush you guys, but I have 1681 MUs to research. Sorry if you feel pressured.
I'm on Ike, Ivy, and Jiggs right now. I think Bowser has an advantage against Ike and Ivy.
If he does a retreating glide toss he'll be too far away to command grab and the side-b attack has an even shorter distance, I'm not saying Bowser wins the MU, I'm just saying bananas aren't as annoying for him as they are for some characters. Ike is even and Ivy beats Bowser imo. Oh and I have no idea about ICs, but any character with a solid grab game should destroy Bowser in theory.

Last edited:

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
If he does a retreating glide toss he'll be too far away to command grab and the side-b attack has an even shorter distance, I'm not saying Bowser wins the MU, I'm just saying bananas aren't as annoying for him as they are for some characters. Ike is even and Ivy beats Bowser imo. Oh and I have no idea about ICs, but any character with a solid grab game should destroy Bowser in theory.
I saw a high level match between a Bowser and Ivy, Bowser seemed to have the upper hand. Also Ike seems to be losing against King Koopa as well, nair or grounded up-b really kill Ike's combo game. Am I wrong?

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
The Bowser player probably had a better handle on the MU than the Ivy player did, Ivy has a lot of tools that can shut Bowser down, razor leaf, seed bomb zone him out and if Bowser does manage to get in Ivy can just shield grab him and combo him to death, that said if Ivy plays too recklessly Bowser can kill him ridiculously early since he's so floaty. As for Ike, cmart explained why it was even a couple pages back.

Last edited:

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
The Bowser player probably had a better handle on the MU than the Ivy player did, Ivy has a lot of tools that can shut Bowser down, razor leaf, seed bomb zone him out and if Bowser does manage to get in Ivy can just shield grab him and combo him to death, that said if Ivy plays too recklessly Bowser can kill him ridiculously early since he's so floaty. As for Ike, cmart explained why it was even a couple pages back.
Ike even? Got it, if Cmart says it's even I'll take his word for it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5E5H08jkOLc
Sweet vs. 9K+1

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
That video is 2.6. Bowser and Ivy have both changed quite a bit post 3.0, specifically a lot of the offstage stuff 9K+1 was doing doesn't work anymore since Bowser's bair has later IASA frames now. Also just because you see someone win a MU doesn't necessarily mean it's in their character's favor. For example I bop a lot of the Marth players in my area with Mario, but that MU still sucks for Mario they just get outplayed because I'm more well-versed in the MU.

Edit: Ivy's fthrow also doesn't kill until really high percents now.

Last edited:

Jacob29

Smash Ace
Ah yeah, back when BAir really good vs Ivy off-stage.

Still good ofc, but man the timing on it is harsh now.

I think if Ivy spaces correctly its extremly hard for bowser to approach. The range of her Fair and Bair stops Bowser from being careless. But Bowser can kill Ivy pretty easily.

Overall i'd say Ivy is slightly favoured though.

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
That video is 2.6. Bowser and Ivy have both changed quite a bit post 3.0, specifically a lot of the offstage stuff 9K+1 was doing doesn't work anymore since Bowser's bair has later IASA frames now. Also just because you see someone win a MU doesn't necessarily mean it's in their character's favor. For example I bop a lot of the Marth players in my area with Mario, but that MU still sucks for Mario they just get outplayed because I'm more well-versed in the MU.

Edit: Ivy's fthrow also doesn't kill until really high percents now.
I didn't draw the conclusion based on this one match, but I get what you're saying.
Ah yeah, back when BAir really good vs Ivy off-stage.

Still good ofc, but man the timing on it is harsh now.

I think if Ivy spaces correctly its extremly hard for bowser to approach. The range of her Fair and Bair stops Bowser from being careless. But Bowser can kill Ivy pretty easily.

Overall i'd say Ivy is slightly favoured though.
noob question: why do people say Ivy is a girl when it obviously has a guys voice?
Slightly favored got it.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
I didn't draw the conclusion based on this one match, but I get what you're saying.

noob question: why do people say Ivy is a girl when it obviously has a guys voice?
Slightly favored got it.
The PMBR insists that the Ivysaur in their game is a girl even though there is no visual distinction between genders in Ivysaurs, but canonically it is a species that is predominantly male.

Jacob29

Smash Ace
Wish I had some Ivy footage but looking through my videos our ivy player hasn't played her much recently.

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
You're mad. This is easily one of Bowser's worst matchups. The ivy in the video you referred to was probably pretty clueless about the MU.
Actually I just don't main the character, so I am kinda mad. lol
The PMBR insists that the Ivysaur in their game is a girl even though there is no visual distinction between genders in Ivysaurs, but canonically it is a species that is predominantly male.
Why PMBR? WHY!!
Wish I had some Ivy footage but looking through my videos our ivy player hasn't played her much recently.
I'm trying not to be biased against Bowser, that's why I see better MUs for him than he actually has, and because I legit thought he was okay against Ivy. From all the MUs you guys have helped me with, it looks horrible for him, does he have any good MUs? In Melee, his MU with Jiggs is -2, which is strange because he is in a tier of consistent -3 match-ups with Jigglypuff. With his buffs in PM and the Jiggernaught being the same, how has the match-up changed?

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
Well, in the JPN version, Ivysaur has a very feminine voice. Thus, is likely a girl.

It could still be argued that that doesn't matter and that Ivy is a guy in US versions though. It's personal opinion. I think of Ivy as a female, although I do occasionally mess up and call Ivy a guy.

Top Bottom