• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Boss Battles on Intense discussion.

Mushroomring

Smash Lord
i used sonic, use aerials a crap ton, a few smash moves on porky, and spring jump out of anything that scares you. Had to dodge the RRoD twice in the Tabuu fight

FlukeBreaker

Smash Rookie
Just beat it today, I must say, it starts off VERY difficult and fusterating. But around the time you beat it, you'll be good enough to go 0% on alot of bosses, and you probably wont even use all three hearts. (My max non-healing streak was 8 with Meta-Knight)

DarkDefeater

Smash Apprentice
Charizard is your friend...

I'm not going to re-read the entire thread so I'll just say this: Charizard's rock smash does wonders against the bosses.
And Squirtle does wonders against the more aerial bosses, such as the Ridleys.

Using these two characters, I managed to defeat Intense boss battles with a lot more ease than any other character.

doodmahn

Smash Journeyman
Zelda's worked so far, trying to beat Very Hard. I use the fair, bair, and din's fire. Any other moves I should be using, and which bosses I should use them on?

Yo soy Ikon

Smash Rookie
I new to the boards but I'm working on this as well...Only 4 more challenges 'til 100%

But if my opinion is worth anything, I don't understand this laser spamming with fox. I might just be too impatient but doing his Fair and the retreating 'til another opening has been doing wonders...i've made it up to 8 and I've only tried with fox 4 different times.

Edit: I finally made it to Tabuu and in all the excitement forgot to side-step his Rings :mad:

Cloud Cleaver

Smash Journeyman
I made it all the way to Intense Tabuu with Charizard, but he pulled some oddball attack on me I've never seen before. It was like a purple cloud that shot out of his hand, and I didn't know how to dodge it...I've never considered using Squirtle as well for airborne foes. Is he any more effective against Rayquaza? Charizard doesn't seem to damage him as well, due to some kind of elemental damage resistance.

x9whitey9x

Smash Journeyman
I almost beat it with Lucas, but Tabuu used the move where he fires the little dart things. I didn't realize there was a big explosion after he was done, so I got in close to punish him. Boom. Dead. Less than a quarter of his bar left. :(

Zap657

Smash Journeyman
Yes! Yyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeesss!! I Just Beat Boss Battles On Intense! Thank You Charizard! Rock Smash Ftw!

iEatPikmin

Smash Journeyman
Seeing as how some people don't know all of Tabuu's attacks, here's a list:

Off-Waves: Tabuu goes into the background and spreads his wings, he fires 3 rings that cover the entire screen. You can dodge this with a roll or sidestep. If you dodge the first one, you can use Pokemon Switch with PT. This is usually a OHKO on higher difficulties (like Hard up in SSE, Very Hard up in Boss Battles).

Dragon-Head Lazer: A dragon head apears and fires a laser all the way across the stage. You can double jump over this. Your recovery move would help a lot.

Slash: Tabuu teleports near you and slashes at you with his hands? multiple times. This is a perfect opportunity to attack him if you have ranged attacks.

Golden Chain: He quickly whips out a chain that grabs you. Just be ready. Nothing much to this.

Sword Lunge: He flies to one end, takes out a blade and swoops down across the ground of the stage. Just (double) jump.

Explosive Teleports: You won't know if he's going to explode when he teleports or not, so this is probably going to kill you at about 80% if you're not ready. If you avoid the first one, you'll see a red spot where he was. If there isn't a red spot, he can't hurt you while teleporting. He will always teleport 4 times whether it's explosive or not.

Shark Spear Head Thingy: He transforms into a shark and flies in a horizontal line very quickly. This attack is pretty fast, but air dodge ifi you can.

Electricity: He teleports near you, like in the Slash attack, and starts generating electricity around him. The last? him has pretty high knockback.

Box: He turns into some sort of ornate, golden box thing and tries to grab you. This is a OHKO in SSE (on Intense)... Air dodge if it gets colse to you. Usually, it'll miss unless you're staying still...

Big Head Laser: Tabuu turns into a huge head and shoots lasers at you from his eyes. You will only be hit if you are on the ground or close to it. The beams can't hurt you until they land.

Clone: Tabuu starts shooting out clones of himself that go in random directions and random lengths. Be ready and roll, air dodge, or whatever else you can to avoid this. It is VERY random.

Saw Boomerang: He takes out this vicious looking spinning disk thing and throws it at the stage. It will travel in a very flat U shape and fly back to Tabuu in the end.

Pea Shots: He fires lots of small bullets at you followed by a final explosion. You can DI out of this and attack him while he's doing this. It's kinda annoying when this is at the edge of the stage...

Pinpoint Explosions: Tabuu pinpoints some places on the stage and in the air. Explosions go off at those locations. I think this is also a OHKO in SSE on Intense.

Rew

Smash Journeyman
Okay, for those of you who use Charizard to beat Boss Battles on Intense, I know the Rock Smash does heavy damage, but how in the blazes do you dodge those boss attacks? Charizard is so slow and clumsy (not to mention lacking in the jumping department) that I just get nailed time after time. Any special defensive tips with the big orange dragon?

Cloud Cleaver

Smash Journeyman
Air dodge. A lot. Knowing when to run in to attack and when to get out of range helps, especially on the Hands, Ridley, and Petey Pirahna. Rush the hands; sometimes you can kill them before they can attack more than once. Take your time with Petey. Time and anticipate his cage swings, stay out of the way, and move in to Rock Smash a cage right as his attack finishes. Then get back out of range and wait. On the harder bosses, just learn their attacks and count on the long aerial dodge to save his scaly arse.

Zap657

Smash Journeyman
Any attacks in particular that pose a problem?

You can even use down-B to evade those extremely troublesome moves (Like red rings of death).

Cloud Cleaver

Smash Journeyman
All of Tabuu's attacks are potentially lethal. Other ones to watch out for are Duon's charging attack, the Duon Pink Side's unblockable lasers, Porky's charge attack, laser attack, and rapid stabbing, and just about everything in Rayquaza's arsenal. His random eye-flashing explosion thing is a pain to deal with. Sometimes Galleom can get in a lucky hit with his vacuum tornado, but he's usually not that bad.

Zap657

Smash Journeyman
If you're lucky you can take out Tabuu before he starts using the really awful attacks. But troubles against Tabuu are pretty universal instead of against charizard.

For Duon, be aware that there's pretty mch a 1/2 chance that he'll open with one or two charges, so get ready to quickly jump and up-b. There's this sweetspot to hit from where he'll always try to use that spinning attack due to the close range. (It's close enough to his face so you can get the full hit from rock smash, but far enough so that you won't get hit by his little wheel attack when he backs up to one end of the stage)

Porky doesn't usually take out his lazor of death, but if he does dodging it (or most of it anyways) is pretty easy, just jump and airdodge so it passes completely by you. (It starts out directly under Porky and rotates towards you) It's appropriate to use a heart container after this boss.

Rayquaza can be really annoying, just know when to attack. The eye-flash explosion thing is easily avoidable with an airdodge (while DIing away from the explosion, obviously.)

I've... Never been hit by Galleom's vacuum tornado attack... Keep your distance and wait for attack lag as an opportunity to strike.

brod1986

Smash Apprentice
This is an evil challange..... I tried the boss for the first time the otherday, pikachu isnt the best character to use....

Krnxmatt7

Smash Cadet
NNID
bigkongboss
This is an evil challange..... I tried the boss for the first time the otherday, pikachu isnt the best character to use....
Pikachu isn't the best character to use, but that doesn't mean that it isn't possible to beat it with him. Keep trying :laugh:

It's kind of easier for me cause I used Lucas to do this. his dair is pretty beast when it comes to this.

_Tiamat_

Smash Apprentice
I beat it with Charizard then decided to beat it with Snake since I find abusing Rock Smash not satisfying. I'll share some tidbits of infortation I gathered for people still going after this challenge.

To get the most damage out of Rock Smash, use it so the stone apear and get crushed into the boss' body.

Both hands frustrating and nearly unavoidable drill attack can be dodged by jumping off stage, as well as most of their attacks, just make sure you have enough jump power.

Duon's pink lasers can be abosorbed by Lucas and Ness for good % recovery, as well as Master Hand's bullets. These are the only ''eatable'' moves as far as I know.

To get the most damage on Pokey, use down smashes when stading between his claws and capsule, both count as hitboxes and add up.

When Ridley flies straight up to slam down or fly into the screen, he will always alternate between the two, never the same twice in a row.

Ike and Marth can counter most boss moves for pretty nice damage, while not having to run away before resuming their attacking.

if there is a boss you hate, try getting him the first 5 if possible, they are easier in the first half. (getting the hands, Ridley and Petey in the end is ideal as they have low ko power or are easy to read)

Some bosses resist elemental attacks, like Rayquaza, using someone like Ike, Snake or Ganon for example (shadow isn't resisted by anything I think) can assure steady damage on any boss.

Lastly, don't underrestimate Galleom on the last half of boss battles lol, he get really speedy and even if he have low def, some of his moves will kill you around 40%.

I hope some of this helped, and please don't flame if you already knew all of this =( some people don't

Rew

Smash Journeyman
Thanks, Tiamat--those are some helpful tips!

One more on Petey: After he does his "flame rage" animation halfway through the battle, whenever he jumps from then on, it will always be two jumps in a row.

smashthebirdy

Smash Cadet
good post. videos for visual help

wiizeldaguy has videos of boss battles on intense for almost any character. some of his videos are on my all characters on brawl post. If you want to see people beating boss battle please check it out on the brawl 1 player discussions

Clai

Smash Lord
Where men are born and champions are raised
I'm surprised at how many people like Charizard for this mode...

The only justice-filled way to beat this mode is to show them your moves. In all seriousness, Captain Falcon's a beast in Boss Battles. He's super-fast and easy to ledge-stall with if a boss uses a rough attack. The hands get ***** by Up-Smash, both Ridleys are done over by aerials, Rayquaza likes to leave himself open for PAWWWWWNCH's, Petey's a joke, and the rest are beaten by running, dodging, and attacking.

Porky is, by far, the worst boss in this mode. The constant moving around, the charge, and the lasers of death, I just hope I get him in the easier rounds. Tabuu I got by on the third attempt. I'm so glad it's over.

Lastly, don't underrestimate Galleom on the last half of boss battles lol, he get really speedy and even if he have low def, some of his moves will kill you around 40%.
I'll say, I thought this guy was on 'roids when I went against him on the eighth battle. I even took a heart for this matchup and I still got destroyed. He's freaking fast...

Box: He turns into some sort of ornate, golden box thing and tries to grab you. This is a OHKO in SSE (on Intense)... Air dodge if it gets colse to you. Usually, it'll miss unless you're staying still...
Unless if you trip... :/ The second time I got lasso'd. The third time wasn't particularly difficult at all. GO FALCON!

Ilex

Smash Ace
Donkey Kong pwns for Boss Battles with high powerful attacks, heaevy weight and moderate speed. If they're ground based DownSpecial whores their life metre. If they're a floater then just spam upsmash, and if they fly fair ***** them. Donkey Kong ftw.

Daskat

Smash Rookie
I would like to add a tip that probably would help alot. If you use Fox, you can spam with his reflectorshield to stay in the air longer. Should be good against some of Tabuu's attacks.

Jamie0003

Smash Cadet
Any tips for doing this with Kirby? Iv'e been hanging on the ledges and then attacking for the hands, ridley, duon and petey, it seems to work but the others are a pain. Duon also still hits me..

Cors

Smash Rookie
I've actually beaten it on intense - It took many, many tries. I did it as Toon Link. His nair worked pretty well for racking up damage, and his dair allowed me to bounce on the bosses repeatedly - particularly effective against Porky. It was mostly just a test of endurance - I learned all the bosses, their tricks, and eventually won. But man was it tough.

Also, the reward is... Galleom (tank form) trophy. >_> Lame, I know.
Galleom tank form trophy? And you guys say you can't use the Golden Hammer on this challenge? Well I've got said trophy - and obtained it by using the Golden Hammer. Worked for me. I specifically chose to use it on this window coz I knew I'd never do Boos Battles on Intense. Can barely do it on Easy...

But yeah - Golden Hammer worked for me.

steel_bee

Smash Rookie
I don't know any specifics for Kirby, but I managed it with Jigglypuff and they at least seem a bit similar. You may want to try to be a bit more defensive against Duon, especially the pink side. Only attack Rayquaza once or twice between each of his attacks as his tend to come out rather speedily.

For Porky, try to stay above him to attack, as most of his attacks can't get you if you are in the air above him, also remember that his legs can take damage as well, so you don't really need to get too close to him. You can Airdodge all of Meta-ridley's attacks and you should really be able to see all of them coming.

As far as Galleom is concerned, hope that you fight him within the first 6 fights as (for me personally) he was too quick to dodge/attack properly when I fought him in fights 7, 8, 9.

Cors

Smash Rookie
Oh, I tell a lie btw - when I used the Golden Hammer, the silluoette of the trophy hadn't even been revealed yet; I used the hammer on a random blue tile and was delighted that it just happened to be Boss Battles on Intense.

I don't know if using it when the tile is still blue makes any difference. Seemed to anyways.

steel_bee

Smash Rookie
Oh, I tell a lie btw - when I used the Golden Hammer, the silluoette of the trophy hadn't even been revealed yet; I used the hammer on a random blue tile and was delighted that it just happened to be Boss Battles on Intense.

I don't know if using it when the tile is still blue makes any difference. Seemed to anyways.
Are you a European using a PAL copy of the game? If so then don't worry, it's completely normal. We Europeans can use the Golden hammers on absolutely everything, including Boss Battles,:chuckle: although I am doing my best not to use them. :psycho:

Cors

Smash Rookie
Really? That's strange. Wonder why HAL did that.

Ha, I didn't even know those hammers did anything until I had revealed about 3/4 of the challenges.

Azorpatch

Smash Cadet
I think the best character for boss battles is definitely pit. He can do decent damage on aerials and his Fsmash is great. But what really makes him awesome is his shield. You can block most of the attacks by having your shield out and some even reflect damage.

Rew

Smash Journeyman
BOOOOOOOOOOOYAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!

I did it! Last night, I cleared the infamous BB-I! What's strange was that I didn't even completely intend to. After I got off work last night, I was just concentrating on getting my coin total up to 9999 by beating up on Duon in Intense a bunch of times in a row (for there are 4 trophies I have left to get from Coin Launcher, as well as 8 stickers). However, in doing so, I started to become comfortable against him, even though he's one of my worst boss fights. So upon getting 9999 earlier than I expected, I thought, "Hell, why not? Let's give BB a go."

I was expecting to do this over the weekend--it taking me all weekend of course. Instead, I did it last night after only about 5 tries and less than an hour. In fact, I beat Tabuu on my first visit to him! It was a pretty epic showdown. For one thing, on the majority of previous defeats last night, the main one who KO'd me (very surprisingly) had been Master Hand! So when I reached boss fight #9, and it was--you guessed it--Master Hand, I was at 100-something damage and thought, "Oh hell, might as well use that last Heart Container so I give myself a chance at reaching Tabuu." And in this battle, I cleared Master Hand taking no damage. (I'm just really glad he didn't do his spinning drill move, or this story may not have had such a happy ending. :()

Next came Tabuu and the epic struggle! As the battle wore on, and I kept laying into him with Fox's aerials (I used Fox for this, BTW), I dared start to hope that I might actually win this thing! Toward the end, I could sense Tabuu's desperation as my victory loomed shockingly nearer. In quick succession, he pulled out his three dirtiest tricks. First was the golden bracket. Air-dodge! Then came the lasso. You have to understand--the lasso ALWAYS gets me. But not on this night! I leaped high above it and air-dodged it just for good measure. Then, with only a couple faint slivers left in his life meter, Tabuu takes his place in the background of the stage, wings unfurled, for the dreaded Red Rings of Death (for the second such time in this battle). This has always been iffy for me, especially of late. But despite the fact my fingers were now trembling at this time, I kept an eye on each ring and down-shielded all three. At this point, the rest of the battle was merely a formality. When Tabuu reappeared a second later, two more aerials sealed my epic win, and the Galleom (Tank Form) trophy has never looked so sexy in my Trophy Gallery. In the aftermath of the battle, I was so busy punching my first into the air in celebration that I nearly forgot to return to my controller and let Fox get in a couple "Come on!" taunts as Tabuu disintegrated in the background. ;)

Ironically, it took me a lot longer to clear this on Very Hard (with Donkey Kong) than it did on Intense (with Fox).

_Tiamat_

Smash Apprentice
Good job! it does feel awesome especialy when you don't need to abuse Charizard's Rock Smash.

I beat Boss Battles Intense yesterday with Ganondorf and Captain Falcon. Took a while with Ganon but surprisingly, I did it on my first try with Falcon and even taunted 5 times mid-battle vs Tabuu.

For those who think they want to beat this with Falcon here are some tips: His knee is really easy to sweet spot due to the whole boss' body being one huge hitbox, you can easily land 3 of them in one double-jump. His up smash is also great since it hit two times for pretty nice damage. And finally, for that ******* Pokey, use his down smash to deal huge damage by standing between his claws and capsule.

Rew

Smash Journeyman
Thanks, Cors!

@Tiamat: Ha! Funny thing about Charizard--I never could use him well, first off because he's slow and heavy as ****. But secondly, I could never master the Rock Smash. Everytime I'd be in the air trying to do a side-B, half of the time I'd do an up-B instead (GCN analog FTL) and leave myself wide open to a boss' attack as Charizard just floats helplessly down to the ground.

Anyway, now for some Fox strategies! For one thing, I'm a neophyte at Smash and suck at Brawl (as my track record on wi-fi will prove). Moral of the story: If even I can do this, anyone can!

The Hands: Easy. Just use aerials, and air-dodge as appropriate. Master Hand's quick slap across the stage and the drill attack are your only worries here.

Petey: Even easier. Stand between a cage and the body and just up-smash (being sure to quickly jump when he swings a cage). Now when I fought him, I was at 116% damage, so I took no chances--I took the second method of standing off the side and laser spamming, in addition to dashing away from his jumps. It took a long time, but at that stage in the game (he was boss #6 or #7 at that point), better safe than sorry! I took no damage from him. Also note that after the firestorm temper tantrum, whenever Petey jumps, he *always* jumps twice in a row.

Rayquaza: Forget Fox's laser here; it does so little damage you may as well be standing there doing nothing. Just dodge (and air-dodge) as usual. But when Ray gets ready to shoot his big blue energy ball at you, use reflector to bop it right back at him! When his eyes turn red, and that random explosion happens on top of you, I used side-B to quickly escape. For the lightning (when Ray spins in a wheel), you have to shield immediately. Otherwise, just use aerials on his head and/or forward smashes on his body.

Porky: Ladies and gentlemen, meet Fox's achilles' heel. He is by far the hardest boss for Fox (at least for me as Fox), as there's nothing to exploit or spam. Lasers do slightly better than against Rayquaza, but still not enough. And he's capable of racking up major damage very quickly. Jump quickly over Porky if he makes a mad dash at you. Pray you don't get caught in the claw-pummel (and if you do, try to DI out of it--good luck). Dash through the spotlight, and for the laser, light hop + air-dodge x2. The few times when it's at rest (particularly when the Porky bombs are sent out), this is a good time to use Fox's best attack on Porky--forward smash. F-smash depletes that energy bar pretty quickly.

Duon: In stark contrast to Porky, Fox is GOD against Duon, and this matchup is the #1 reason I recommend Fox for BB-I. For one thing, when Duon charges you, Fox is one of the few characters who can clear the beast with a double-jump (i.e. without needing an up-B on top of the double jump). Against Big Blue, when he lurches forward to combo you, let him in close, then jump backward while air-dodging, and you should clear the whole thing. For the bombs, try to find a gap (there normally is one, even on Intense). The only other moves by Big Blue will only be a problem if you're close, which you shouldn't be--Fox's laser does decent damage and should be used at all times while Blue is facing you (except if he's about to charge).

When you face Mr. Pink, that's when the real fun begins! xD For one thing, get up nice and close. And if you see it reeling back and getting ready to fire out those pink lasers, put on Fox's reflectors. If you're close enough, the pink lasers will be reflected back to Duon dealing MASSIVE DAMAGE! If you get the blue laser, though, er--that's the only attack that pretty much always gets me. Double jump over the first one, air-dodge the second one, and hope your shield lasts through the third one. But yeah, I pretty much always get hit by that (pray your damage % is low enough to survive the hit--or position yourself backward so you go flying *into* Duon and are thus buffetted by him). For the homing missiles, jump over and/or air-dodge--or if you're feeing daring, jump over and behind Duon to guide them into him (for more MASSIVE DAMAGE), but it's very risky. Only do that if Duon's pretty low on life.

Galleom: Kind of a case of "****ed if you do, ****ed if you don't." If you keep your distance, you make yourself vulnerable to his missiles, which are tricky to air-dodge because you don't think they're going to hit you--but they do. Get too close (which is an otherwise great way to avoid the missiles), and you set yourself up for the uppercut punch, which comes out fast and is hard to prepare for in time. So stand medium-length away, get used to roll-dodging (which I'm never good at, BTW)--and really hope you don't get this guy after the first five because he gets ridiculously fast and furious. Against Galleom, Fox's laser does the most damage, so fire away! Smash attacks also work very well too. When Galleom turns into a tank, double jump--but if the tank doesn't move but instead fires missiles, just add your up-B to the double-jump, and you should clear it.

Ridley: Pretty elementary. Use aerials when he's just floating there doing nothing, but always be wary of Ridley's somersault attack. Also, make sure you're not too close in the event of his roaring wind attack, which does surprising damage if you're touching his mouth when he does it. But fight against the wind and get in as many free licks as you can! When Ridley flies off-screen to the side, walk a step or two, then double-jump, and as you're coming down, Ridley should by this time fly in above you, narrowly missing you. (Air-dodge if you want to be safe.)

Meta Ridley: Okay, when I said that Fox was God against Duon, I was wrong. Meta Ridley has never been so easy as against Fox McCloud! Use aerials as usual for fighting and air-dodging as usual when MR is attacking. But when MR comes in for a round of fire-bullets, get ready for more fun! Get up close to him and put on that reflector (it works even better if you use it while in the air) in order to rack up--yep, you guessed it--MASSIVE DAMAGE! Moreover, I hear that the reflector works against the giant fireballs too? If that's the case, then when MR gets on the back end of the ship and gradually drags it down, just get in front of him and reflect to teach him a lesson (if it's true anyway--I haven't confirmed it for myself yet). In general, during the drag-down attack, I just play it safe and wait on the front end--double jumping at the end to ensure safety until the ship comes back up again (up-B on top of that if need be).

Tabuu: Any battle with Tabuu is a lesson in the art of the dodge. By this point, you should know what to do. Double jump when necessary, and if it makes you feel safer, use the up-B to get over attacks on the ground. For attacks where Tabuu is stationary (i.e. electric circle attack, ground pound), dash quickly out of the way. Then from the safety of a far distance, turn around and shoot lasers. For the golden bracket, air-dodge *immediately*. For the lasso, dodge before you even see it coming (yeah, I know). And finally, for the most dreaded Off Waves, you just have to time it right--there's no teaching it. Practice on SSE. Down-shield just before that red line touches you--and do so thrice (I find that the first ring is the hardest one, FWIW). Lastly, take every advantage you can to get in as many aerials as possible whenever Tabuu is just free floating up there.

Chaotix_0

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone know if you can DI out of Porkey's rapid thrust attack? I've tried every direction possible but it seems like the attack has a vacuum effect and KO's at unexpected levels.
I don't think so, but it can be vertically escaped with some Up-B's. On all my tries I've used Captain Falcon. I realize he isnt the best character for the job, but jump double u-airs works pretty well for me, with occaisonal knees or falcon punches added in for fun and showmanship (I'm aware noone is watching but me, I still like to look cool). Anyways, if Porky does the retardspasm rapid thrust I hold up and hammer the B button untill I jump out of it and to the other side. I don't think Snake's up-B has enough initial velocity to help though, he takes a few seconds to get going. It might be worth a try though. And if not, you can always nade spam Porky and never go near him. If I used a character with a projectile I'd stay very far away from him.

Top Bottom