• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Boss answers your mario questions(in style) UPDATED!!!! first PG

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
lol ma dude go to the matchup disccusion.....and i will tell you or you can ask monk since his explanations are better then mine >_>
My explanations aren't better...I just liked my explanation of Mindgames and how to obtain them

We still buddies?
---

One thing I can say about Marth...try to avoid getting hit to the edge...cause then it becomes a huge fight just to get back to the stage...

Famous

Smash Champion
FLUDD sometimes pushes them upward...I'd go for the cape if you think you can hit them...If there recovering from below there basically dead from an edgehog

Ray/Boshi

Smash Journeyman
I use Nair just to trade hits with their sideB at times. It usually knocks them back off stage just enough to where I want them them to be. I stay very mindful of the cape also if I predict something, that doesnt occur every time on the dime unfortunatly.. Mario has the tools to gimp them without the use Fludd, Fludd is alright though.. Just not a very reliable gimp against the spacies every attempt. Better off atempting the gimp while batting up damage on them.

Simple fireballs, capestalling, Nair,Uair,Bair are all you need once they are recovering via upB. Or hop off and Fludd them slightly further back underneath the lip of the stage even. (I don't even know the names of those UpB,SideB moves of theirs lmao.)

Matt07

Smash Master
How do I fight a spammy Lucario. Roll, Aurasphere, d-air spam most of the match. Yea, the typical Lucario.

Yea his fsmash range is ****ing stupid, and if I air dodge I still get hit...

Prefered stages you guys fight on against Lucario?

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I use Dsmash...alot. That, fireballs, and Dash attack. Predict the rolls and punish them. Free %, but you have to watch closely.

Ray/Boshi

Smash Journeyman
I use Dsmash and ocassionaly charge it at times randomnly, as I do with everything unless they come off as being more jab happy then evade happy.. Just to be awkward with it mainly, usually when Lucario roll in front and then behind me. (Sometimes he can roll too far away out Dsmash's range, so be mindful of where he was at during the roll previously)

When a Lucario rolls constantly away just to set some space between us I just chill. Charge the Fludd while he charge his aura sphere. Approach him slowly after that. Shooting off fireballs an whatnot. (Occasional SH Dairs while i'm on the way. Just to present them in his mindset)

~That's the main thing. Mario has garbage range unfortunatly. You need to play it slow & reaction based on every match against every character. Aint like the dude can KO you instantly or anything. Jut play it slow, catious, defensive and campy untill a decent oppurtunity presents itself, a opening will pop up eventually. (Retreat at times via fireball spam even. 7-8 min matches anyway, you've plenty of time.) Once you're on them with something connecting, you are on them with the quick short attacks Mario has. The ball is in your hands in other words as "They" are the one reacting. Has to.

~Also. The quickness starting wise & priority of the Nair is something to keep mindful also.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
How do you beat a luigi? From my experiences, he has great air and an okay ground game.
I do this every single day of my ****ing life. But yes follow monk's advice. Air speed is where you want him. OOS upb, Fludding him, camping like monk style... basically you can combo him but you have to be very cautious cuz he'll nair his way out. defensive play is what you want.....

BEAST_

Smash Rookie
So this is kind of a cliche question but yeahh:

What does it take to become pro/good? Is it just training hours a day, natural skill, or is it all on being popular so you are more known and really are not better then people but just way better known?

Yah...

I'm asking this because I know Mario is low tier and not sure how to take the next step.

Ray/Boshi

Smash Journeyman
To become good, you basically need to know what you are up against. Play as against multiple characters, learn the habits. The ones that give you severe trouble, play as them, watch how other people react and get by it & just go from there. Do you. Do your thing.

Every character has the potential to be an annoying opponet to face. As well as a potentially deadly adversary. Tier list is just nonsense. Placements on major tourneys, that perhaps only well known people who are good, above decent, skilled players, go to. but not everybody can say oh, ima fly here, then fly there to attend this tourney, state to state, attending these tournaments. (If M2K used Falco, & Olimar, They'd probably be 1 an 2. A great player breaking two characters, dominating tournaments nationwide.

As well all the individual pro's outweigh the cons of that particular character or whatever, however. It's all nonsense, do you. & Enjoy doing it.

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
So this is kind of a cliche question but yeahh:

What does it take to become pro/good? Is it just training hours a day, natural skill, or is it all on being popular so you are more known and really are not better then people but just way better known?

Yah...

I'm asking this because I know Mario is low tier and not sure how to take the next step.
Review my post on mindgames and how to obtain them

andayt

Smash Cadet
i have issues(like the rest of us) on where my mario game goes wrong what im truly uncertain about now is what they are. after applying what 'thatguy' has told me i dunno where to improve. i would like to know if one of you experts would be willing to test me only a few ditto's (or more if you want) and then evaluate what im doing incorrectly.

thnx in advance

Matt07

Smash Master
It's kinda hard to tell what a person is doing wrong in Mario dittos, because they're dittos. Hmm try to get some matches recorded, and post them in the Rate My Mario thread. If you can't do that, you can always send replay's of yourself to others Wii's.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
How do I fight a spammy Lucario. Roll, Aurasphere, d-air spam most of the match. Yea, the typical Lucario.

Yea his fsmash range is ****ing stupid, and if I air dodge I still get hit...

Prefered stages you guys fight on against Lucario?
Some tips:

-Use Dair to punish rolling

-Always be prepared to either cape or shield aura sphere

-Abuse FIHL when you can

-Use Up B on his Dair (got to be smart about this) or Dair if you're close enough to him

BkMan

Smash Cadet
Sup Boss wondering how do u fight against a camply snake who use the dash attack alot and alot of gernades.?

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Sup Boss wondering how do u fight against a camply snake who use the dash attack alot and alot of gernades.?
Fireball cancels Snake's dash atk during the first few frames during its startup, otherwise you can just an OOS option. As far as grenades, you can block and send them back with the FLUDD or just run through them since the grenades themselves don't stun.

PS: Fireballs stop Snake's mortar slide.

Famous

Smash Champion
Against MK you have to play extremely patient... throw fire until he approaches you and capitalize on his mistakes...

Most MK's tend to spot dodge-DSmash when your percentage reach about 75...There movements become predictable to say the least...

Lol try this...When your at high damage fireball camp until they are 2 character lengths away, wait for the roll then jab them...

After this they will do one of two things, they will either roll into your or spotdodge...Take advantage of this

Gimp MK with Cape as much as possible given the chance

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Against MK you have to play extremely patient... throw fire until he approaches you and capitalize on his mistakes...

Most MK's tend to spot dodge-DSmash when your percentage reach about 75...There movements become predictable to say the least...

Lol try this...When your at high damage fireball camp until they are 2 character lengths away, wait for the roll then jab them...

After this they will do one of two things, they will either roll into your or spotdodge...Take advantage of this

Gimp MK with Cape as much as possible given the chance
Famous got mindgam3z. Imma try this shiz

Matt07

Smash Master
I wonder how they did in singles too I hope Boss, Famous, and Kirin got recorded :D.

The tournament had such a bigger attendance then what the T.O planned which caused issues. It's just upsetting when the people who didn't even attend the tournament are acting way more upset/immature about it more then the people who did.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
boss tell me everything on cot4 since you've seen that **** happen in person... i think i heard you got 5th with just luigi in doubles w/ korn's d3 and mk... then got knocked out by snakeee's zss and tuar.. i believe..
so tell me everything at cot4... your matchs, and if you did singles tell us marios that as well....

props chibo for even atttempting this tourney thing

Famous

Smash Champion
Me, Vist, PoleMx, Biglou, Kirin and Boss tried to do a Mario/Luigi Mantage on livestream but everyone was acting like d1cks...

Inferno3044

Smash Master
I have a couple questions. Anybody can answer it.

1. Do you think Mario can get higher on the tier list? If yes who would he be above and why?
2. What's the matchup for Mario vs. Luigi

Famous

Smash Champion
Yes they can..but only out of the first 2 initial hits...Samus UpB is escapeable as well...

Mario Vs Luigi is 65-45 in Luigi's favor..This is from personal experience...

Luigi has more power, more range leading into more priority and better recovery...

The Trump Card

Smash Cadet
Yes they can..but only out of the first 2 initial hits...Samus UpB is escapeable as well...
Can you be punished if they DI out of it? I'm just wondering because I don't know how useful the move could really be in high-level play.

Famous

Smash Champion
Not really if you fast fall it...Mario lands pretty fast from his UPB...The only way you would really be punished is if you missed hitting them completely...

Top Bottom