• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bomberman for SSBB?

AxemRed

Smash Journeyman
I dunno how many stage suggestions have been posted, but I think the Black City Highway from Bomberman 64 would make for an interesting Bomberman stage. Granted, it might end up similar to the Mario Kart stage shown in the trailer, but it would fit. There would be two slanted platforms slanted upwards towards the center of the stage, and then they would level out as they reach the center. The center would have a platform of its own. On the bottom, cars/buses/etc. will occasionally pass by.

sin_the_warrior

Smash Rookie
as in the megaman for brawl section, i have to say about a friend who has a family member in nintendo and got the confirmed character list. he said bomberman was on it and for his sake he better be right because when i get brawl and hes not in it, i am going to strangle my friend

FireBomb

Smash Lord
See, a hi-tech place is a better choice than some concrete-walled maze, or a garden-ish place. I thought about Black City but I forgot about the highway... that'd be interesting to see, but I think they'll leave the road levels to Mario Kart and F-zero.

Hey I thought the characters for Brawl were like top-secret or something. I wanna believe it but it's kinda fishy don't you think?

Stryks

Smash Hero
as in the megaman for brawl section, i have to say about a friend who has a family member in nintendo and got the confirmed character list. he said bomberman was on it and for his sake he better be right because when i get brawl and hes not in it, i am going to strangle my friend
Dude seriously, are u joking, or do u REALLY believe me, If I tell u cloud, waluigi and a goomba are in brawl, would u believe me?

Nadji

Smash Cadet
Bomberman is one of my all time favourite characters and has appeared in many games of his own for nintendo consoles. I think he'd be an excellent addition to ssbb.

Aeramis

Smash Ace
I could see him in brawl but don't really care either way. If they do put him in I hope his bombs will be different from Links/Young Links... :ohwell:

FireBomb

Smash Lord
His bombs would definately look different, feel different, act different...
I bet they could incorperate his elemental bombs from Bomberman 64: The Second Attack! into Brawl if the wished. He had bombs of fire, wind, earth, ice (I think), among others. His normal bombs could explode in a small radius that's bigger than the hitbox's of Link's. If they're still too similar, they could always take away Link's bombs altogether.

Nadji

Smash Cadet
A few people are saying that Bomberman could only jump in "Bomberman Hero" for the N64, this is untrue Bomberman is able to jump in "Pocket Bomberman" for the GBC.

rsc_390

Smash Apprentice
bomberman for brawl! I think it could definitely work. I was also thinking about the elements from The Second Attack. I believe the elements were

Normal (Fire, deals damage)
Ice (freezes)
Air (blows away)
Earth (burns/melts w/ lava)
Lightning (electrocutes)
Shadow (makes instant-kill black hole)
Light (stops time)

They could easily make a good moveset using his different elements. LOL imagine Pommy turns up in Brawl w/ him?

FireBomb

Smash Lord
You can't go wrong with a bombfest, guys.

Does anyone know if Sakurai had even considered putting Bomberman in at all? Is he uninterested, or has he not thought of the idea yet? He seems like someone who's worth some attention...

Nadji

Smash Cadet
I put my up most support in this character and I believe he is a very deserving contender, to all the nay-sayers that say that Bomberman wouldn't have a suitable moveset if they could create a move set for Capt Falcon they can create a moveset for any character especially Bomberman who has such a rich history.

Eight Sage

Smash Lord
in the range of 0.0.0.0 to 255.255.255.255
I put my up most support in this character and I believe he is a very deserving contender, to all the nay-sayers that say that Bomberman wouldn't have a suitable moveset if they could create a move set for Capt Falcon they can create a moveset for any character especially Bomberman who has such a rich history.
You're right, but I still think of his move set as throwing/putting bombs only.

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
Bomberman has alreeady been in a Nintendo game: Wario Blaste: Featuring Bomberman.

The way I see it, Bomberman has a good chance of being in Brawl.

Iggy K

Smash Ace
I think Bomberman could have a suitable move set because he was already in a fighting game (DreamMix TV: World fighters, or something similar).

D3monicWolv3s

Smash Ace
Everytime I see this thread I don't even think of bomberman, I think bomb man from Megaman 1/powered up. Alt costume? lol sorry.

Umm... maby have his bombs do differen't things... because thats all he has...

Ippius

Smash Journeyman
Well there are so many bombermen that there would be no difficulty finding a moveset for him. Firstly there are his bombs...a lot of them. Then in some games he has a sword. That could be used as well. In others he has a cape ie. a possible recovery move.
I think he would totally suit the game. No doubt about it.

FireBomb

Smash Lord
The Bomberman games that were released on the N64 show perfect examples of what he's capable of doing. His elemental bombs have potential, and I'd like to see Pommy come back too. The 3D games are pretty much the only source we can pull his abilities out from, since most of his 2D ones are all similar to eachother anyways.

Remote bombs would be fun, but perhaps to powerful. But a fully-charged cherry bomb would make a nice Super Smash attack...

DP's Mario

Smash Ace
Bomberman would make an excellent choice and would automatically be my 2nd main! From the previous N64 games like Bomberman: The 2nd Attack! or Bomberman Hero, the abilities he had would fit perfectly in Brawl: Remote-Control bombs, Elemental power bombs, The powerful red bombs and the ability to pump it up for a bigger explosion! It'd be great! Bomberman and Lloyd Irving for Brawl all the way!!!

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
The Bomberman games that were released on the N64 show perfect examples of what he's capable of doing. His elemental bombs have potential, and I'd like to see Pommy come back too. The 3D games are pretty much the only source we can pull his abilities out from, since most of his 2D ones are all similar to eachother anyways.

Remote bombs would be fun, but perhaps to powerful. But a fully-charged cherry bomb would make a nice Super Smash attack...
You know what? I remember the old Bomberman 64 commercials, in which they'd sing a song to the same tune as the old Spiderman song. It was pretty funny!

DJ Napps

Smash Journeyman
Bomberman would be great for SSBB.

He has alot of different moves excluding bombs. He can kick bombs, pump up bombs (Super Smash attack), and fly- which most ppl dont kno. He has a good connection with Nintendo and definitely fits in better than Snake.

He's the perfect canidate. Period.

y3nia659

Smash Ace
I prefer Bomberman over Megaman anyday. I think he should be there, but I have no valid reasons to defend it so this remains a simple opinion.

Meta_Owns_Ur_Dad

Smash Ace
i dont hate him but nintendo said like only one more (or possibly 2) 3rd party characters, and Geno needs to fill that spot, and if theres gonna be two more, sonic should be in. Both are better then nany other third party character.
There, i shared my wisdom.

FireBomb

Smash Lord
You know what? I remember the old Bomberman 64 commercials, in which they'd sing a song to the same tune as the old Spiderman song. It was pretty funny!
Thank you for remembering! It went like this:

"Bomberman, Bomberman, mass destruction across the land.
Makes a bomb, any size.
And he's yours to customize. Oh yeah! Your very own bomberman!
Cross his path, you'll explode, in the brand new adventure mode.
Different levels to explore, on Nintendo 64.
Watch out! It's the new BOMBERMAN!" ...Good times.

I also wish for Lloyd, DP's Mario, tho his chances are quite slimmer. But I'm glad there are as many Bomberman supporters as there is. :laugh:

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
Thank you for remembering! It went like this:

"Bomberman, Bomberman, mass destruction across the land.
Makes a bomb, any size.
And he's yours to customize. Oh yeah! Your very own bomberman!
Cross his path, you'll explode, in the brand new adventure mode.
Different levels to explore, on Nintendo 64.
Watch out! It's the new BOMBERMAN!" ...Good times.
Tha'ts how it went alright! I remember bombs randomly appearing an blowing people up, while a guy in a Bomberman suit was nearby! :p

Meta_Owns_Ur_Dad

Smash Ace
Tha'ts how it went alright! I remember bombs randomly appearing an blowing people up, while a guy in a Bomberman suit was nearby! :p
AH! i dont remember that too well but it definintly rings a bell. My memory is VERY picky. i could remember things from long ago, little things, yet totaly block out something big = ( lol

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
AH! i dont remember that too well but it definintly rings a bell. My memory is VERY picky. i could remember things from long ago, little things, yet totaly block out something big = ( lol
Same here.

I also remember playing my friend's Wario Blad: Featuring Bomberman. I remember the game over music quite clearly...

Zarasai

Smash Journeyman
yeah i really want bomber man in too. pommy would be really cool addition, loved TSA, but i dont know how pommy would be controlled in terms of co-op effort with bomberman. had some ideas abotu specials

B^ - bomb jump, already mentioned but he does need a recovery move so it fits better than other B^ i feel.

B> bomb kick. self explained. like in 64 can be pressed again to stop the bomb.

B Bomb throw, can be held for pump bomb

Bv Sickness - pulls out the sickness (skull shaped) item from B64, which is held to throw like an item or use the Bv again to use on yourself. picks up on contact like a mushroom would if thrown. gives a random sickness:

Sicknesses:
Fire - lights bomberman on fire doing mid lvl dmg to anybody touching him and catching them on fire doing some dmg over time for a few secs. Also causes some damage to the player over time as he burns.

Big - makes him big. make him stronger and heavier but much slower and cuts his jump height to one third.

Small - makes him really small and really fast and jumps higher but also light and can be knocked away much easier

Reverse - reverses the directional controls - left makes him go right and up makes him crouch and down for jump and you get idea.

Jammed - forces him to continued moving like in B64 where you could not stop but could change direction. speed icnrease slightly.

fastBomb (when used on bomberman only) makes his bombs explode really fast IE a drop bomb explodes sooner pthrown ones explode earlier in the aire kicked ones dont go far before they go boom

PowerBombs (when used on bomberman only, low chance of happening) gives bomberman the all powerfull red bombs! changes all bomb attacks to do more damage and explode larger radius with higher knockback power for it's duration.

Ghost - makes you semi-transparent and immune to physical attacks for a short time while taking triple damage from an energy or missile attack. may only use energy or missile attacks while in this form. (short duration, cannot be passed on)

Stun - makes you immobile. you can still take damage but are effectively impossible to move (like kirby's stone attack). short duration

All sicknesses except for fire, ghost and the ones listed as bomberman only will have a chance (maybe 5-10%) when you hit a character (or get hit by one) with a close range attack for you to pass the disease on to them and remove it from yourself. which refreshes the time reamining before it dissipates.

duration - thinking 15 seconds

peplease tell me waht you think

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
Now, I'm not someone who would invoke the tragedies of 9/11 for something as trivial as Bomberman's potential addition to Smash Brothers, but, a lot of brave men and women died that day to protect our freedom.

Now I'm not saying that bombs themselves are offensive, for example Samus Aran uses them and she has a ton of redeemable traits, she's tall, blonde, white, and knows how to fire a gun, now THAT'S AMERICAN!

Link is an elf, so by definition, I guess that makes him kind of a sissy, but I imagine the toughest sissy of all time could smash like a thousand beer cans on his head. Therefore, he gets the "Bro" approval for his use of bombs.

Bob-ombs don't count because they were born that way, and that's why we have to win the war on terror... for the Bob-ombs. Mines are too sci-fi, so they don't count either.

So that leaves us with Bomberman.

Bomberman, what do we really know about you?

First, look at the signs of warning, the anger in his brow as he hoists a powerful explosive over his head. Look at his sadistic glee, perhaps he must blow something up to achieve release, if you catch my drift, heh-heh.

His beady little eyes show no remorse, underneath his white headwrap. And we all know how prone Bomberman can be towards suicide! So for that reason, I rest my case.

We know you're a madman. A tyrant. We will not be fooled again.

This is not a Bomberman world! We are free. God Bless America.

...If you don't understand that the above is a giant joke, I'm sorry. I love Bomberman.

DJ Napps

Smash Journeyman
Bomberman 4 Brawl!!

^lol. I first i thot u were serious, then i would have gotten mad.

yeah i really want bomber man in too. pommy would be really cool addition, loved TSA, but i dont know how pommy would be controlled in terms of co-op effort with bomberman. had some ideas abotu specials

B^ - bomb jump, already mentioned but he does need a recovery move so it fits better than other B^ i feel.

B> bomb kick. self explained. like in 64 can be pressed again to stop the bomb.

B Bomb throw, can be held for pump bomb

Bv Sickness - pulls out the sickness (skull shaped) item from B64, which is held to throw like an item or use the Bv again to use on yourself. picks up on contact like a mushroom would if thrown. gives a random sickness:

Sicknesses:
Fire - lights bomberman on fire doing mid lvl dmg to anybody touching him and catching them on fire doing some dmg over time for a few secs. Also causes some damage to the player over time as he burns.

Big - makes him big. make him stronger and heavier but much slower and cuts his jump height to one third.

Small - makes him really small and really fast and jumps higher but also light and can be knocked away much easier

Reverse - reverses the directional controls - left makes him go right and up makes him crouch and down for jump and you get idea.

Jammed - forces him to continued moving like in B64 where you could not stop but could change direction. speed icnrease slightly.

fastBomb (when used on bomberman only) makes his bombs explode really fast IE a drop bomb explodes sooner pthrown ones explode earlier in the aire kicked ones dont go far before they go boom

PowerBombs (when used on bomberman only, low chance of happening) gives bomberman the all powerfull red bombs! changes all bomb attacks to do more damage and explode larger radius with higher knockback power for it's duration.

Ghost - makes you semi-transparent and immune to physical attacks for a short time while taking triple damage from an energy or missile attack. may only use energy or missile attacks while in this form. (short duration, cannot be passed on)

Stun - makes you immobile. you can still take damage but are effectively impossible to move (like kirby's stone attack). short duration

All sicknesses except for fire, ghost and the ones listed as bomberman only will have a chance (maybe 5-10%) when you hit a character (or get hit by one) with a close range attack for you to pass the disease on to them and remove it from yourself. which refreshes the time reamining before it dissipates.

duration - thinking 15 seconds

peplease tell me waht you think

Im liking it alot homie, i see major flaws in that except that bomb kick could be used to kick people as well. And maybe make of the player in ghost be able to hijack another like in B64 (only for bomberman). Otherwise, very good. You should be a character programmer.

>Bomberman 4 Brawl<

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
i want at least one hudson soft character to make it into brawl, and at this point i think its between bomberman and master higgins. i hope they make destructible stages, because if bomberman makes it in with those then the game will get alot more interesting.

FireBomb

Smash Lord
I hope... but a lot of people perfer Megaman as the better man of the two. Megaman can die...
Anyway, the Skull interests me. It's like having a bunch of items in one, but some of it is still a bit unclear. The big and small options are likely going to be the Super and Poision Mushroom if they're in Brawl again. And it's not that fair to have Bomberman get abilities that only he can use. It's kinda as if you had Kirby use the warpstar and land anywhere on the field, or having Mr. Saturn rabidly maul the character he's throw as when Ness uses him.

Well you get it. Don't get me wrong, I still like gambling with fate like that...

Kirye

Smash Ace
Megaman can die...
Best thing i've heard all day. XD

And though I don't see his chances being very high, I think Bomberman would be a fun addition to Smash Bros. He'd be the remote explosive ranged fighter in the game. =D

Zarasai

Smash Journeyman
thanks for the compliment :D. i listed some as bomberman only just because it doesnt make sense to make it affect everyone. I think if i were to modify that part i would make FastBomb changed to ShortFuse. Then it could make every missile attack end with a premature detonation effect. like say you pull out fox's blaster and then it only goes a short distance and makes an explosion (but the explosion would have to be scaled in power with the attack it affected, and would also be able to hurt the user as a balanced attack). Powerbombs could change all missile attacks so the cover a decently larger radius with increased damage, but makes you wait longer between each use. As to the comment about the Ghost ability, well i know abotu the possession thing but i thought that would be kind of overpowered, like a jumped up version of sucking them with kirby and jumping of the stage, spitting and jumping back up. I didnt want it to be overpowered. We really dont need a faster version of gannondorf with ranged capabilities. i like the sickness idea because it adds a real element of randomness to his abilities, like G&W's Judgement. also big and small are more balanced than the mushroom as they have both strengths and weaknesses rather than just one side of the tent (eg the only significant disadvantage to a super shroom is that your easy to combo imo) if you know where im going. this ability would have either a long cooldown or long animation/use time. as to the cooldown idea - i would say that if bomberman tries to create a skull too soon he creates a bomb instead and it blows up in his face, doing minor damage the first time and more if you keep using it too soon. this would reset the timer. Also taking suggestions if somebody else has a sickness they want me to maybe add.

for the super smash, the giant red bomb idea is kinda redundant, ive got a maybe better idea. I propose using either the bomber jetpack or bomber copter from bomberman hero (as the little vehicles were the only cool part of the game imo) and flying over bombarding the stage with small red bombs for heavy damage(as i assume super smash attacks will do heavy damage).

Also looking at integrating pommy in somehow. Not sure as to a method as he traditioanally isnt a major character to get a spot all his own, and giving bomberman a partner would mean i needa scale bomber's power down to prevent the overpoweredness it would smell like. Overpoweredness...thats fun to say :) overpoweredness overpoweredness overpoweredness lol

im also thinking up special moves for dark samus (so it wouldnt just be a clone) and Ridley(or meta ridley, either or). Ill post here to let you know when i get those out.

Again thanks for compliments and criticisms, let me know what you think. I could use constructive criticism and improve this.

Zarasai

Smash Journeyman
Also DJ_Napps, upon reading your post you say

"i see major flaws in that except that bomb kick could be used to kick people as well"

after stating you like it. is that exactly what you meant to say because im getting all confuzzled and puzzled. confuzzled....... wait...what?

Top Bottom