• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bolstering the Melee community! A collaboration, come brainstorm!

Zodiac

Smash Master
BEFORE YOU READ POST OR DO ANYTHING IN THIS THREAD READ THIS!-Do your best not to say the word"Brawl" here, it will incite a riot. This thread is NOT here to debate anything related to brawl, if want to mention brawl thats fine but do not say anything that compares it to anything, even if your comparing to a soda can. Please stay on topic because as we have all seen in the past, anything relating to brawl in the melee forums, or vice versa in the brawl forums ALWAYS turns into a debate,Thank you.

The topic - Melee is slowly crawling back up from the shadow of (I'll only say it once) Brawl. And its starting to get more tournaments then closer to the post release of the sequel . and we need to help it along in a big way, If you can host a tournament, then host it! Not only will it give you more experience and advanced your game, but it will build the melee community around you! Now I don't have all the ideas for upholding the melee community, So lets get to brainstorming huh? You can post here or PM me, I just figure that with everyone collaborating in one thread we'll get more ideas going.

Grunt

Smash Master
I really want to host a tournament, as Vancouver WA seems pretty dry in the regional zones, but i don't have time or supplies to start one. :(

Zodiac

Smash Master
I really want to host a tournament, as Vancouver WA seems pretty dry in the regional zones, but i don't have time or supplies to start one. :(
Try looking a little outside vancouver for tournaments, and dont settle for "I dont have the resources" cause neither do I and I'm doing all I can to get other's to start a tournament. go post in you regional boards and find some people who would be willing to host melee tournaments and then promote them and make sure tons of people know about them.

This goes for everyone else as well. I can garuntee that theres a bigger smash community where you live than you think! You just have to really try and find it. And theres always a place to host a tournament, most of the time its going to be someones house, a store basement, a public library or other stuff like that. There's more free venues around than you think, just gotta look.

Roman.

Smash Champion
We need more big tournaments not just small local ones. Stuff like Mass Madness are awesome in the New England area so people just have to really plan it out and get big, well organized tourneys that will catch a lot of attention. Melee is on it's return and won't stop for a second.

otg

Smash Master
Besides hosting tournaments what else can be done? It's pretty much useless to try and get Brawlers to join our scene. Maybe our new focus on tournaments should be to avoid Top/High tiers so we can expand on the Metagame of mid-bottom tiers. This was already starting to take place in the last year, as many mid tier characters have started to place very high or win tournaments (jiggz, icies, ganon, samus to name a few). Maybe the next step in Melee's evolution is to exploit and expand on the rest of the cast besides the top 10.

I.B

Smash Lord
If you know anybody who plays or has played Melee but only casually, show them the competitive side of it. Sometimes it'll spark some curiosity and interest in them to learn more.

Zodiac

Smash Master
Besides hosting tournaments what else can be done? It's pretty much useless to try and get Brawlers to join our scene. Maybe our new focus on tournaments should be to avoid Top/High tiers so we can expand on the Metagame of mid-bottom tiers. This was already starting to take place in the last year, as many mid tier characters have started to place very high or win tournaments (jiggz, icies, ganon, samus to name a few). Maybe the next step in Melee's evolution is to exploit and expand on the rest of the cast besides the top 10.
I agree, I dont think it should be the main focus or our goal since people are already doing it but we should promote that to an extent. As for getting brawlers to join us, for the people who say they like melee but are just moving with brawl, Im sure they'll come on their own once the melee scene booms again(And it will). But the brawlers who just want to play brawl, unless they express and interest in it I would leave them alone since they like brawl more.

If you know anybody who plays or has played Melee but only casually, show them the competitive side of it. Sometimes it'll spark some curiosity and interest in them to learn more.
Very much so! This is one of the best ideas, but how you show them that side is the trick, pwning that doesn't work :p, that only works if someone wants to get better. I think you should talk to them depending on the person they are and what they would find appealing about the professional melee scene.

As for me, Im going to see what I can do to get a few of my friends back into the competitive melee scene. Im also doing what I can to get a tournament running here in my hometown.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
That is a great idea, of course for that it would need to split into two communities. Thats a little far down the road I think.
Well, if the Melee community is truely shrinking then networking needs to become its focus. Basically, this means that instead of doing small events, the community comes together to do something big. Starmen.net and smrpglegacy.com are the best examples of this. Starmen.net consists of Mother/Earthbound fans from around the world while smrpglegacy.com consists of fans of all the Mario RPGs (which I'm a part of). The members of these websites are fans of different games of the same franchises but they ultimately work together on the big projects like petitions and spreading the word about games through via various medias. This alone attracts new people to the games even if the games are really hard to come by like Mother 3 and Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars. (Why do you think Lucas/Claus and Geno had so much support for Brawl?)

I don't know how well this applies to Melee since it's a competitive game but it does reveal something important: online is extremelly important to the survival of a game/franchise. As I've been typing this, I thought of something regarding many competitive games that have survived even after sequels have come out: they have online capabilities or online options have been created for them. Star Craft, the various Street Fighters, the various Tekkens, MUGEN, Halo, Unreal Tournament, Call of Duty, Gears of War, Marvel vs Capcom, etc. Obviously, tournaments are important but online play allows members of the community (both new, inexperienced, and even professional) to practice/compete pretty much anytime (which is especially important for those that don't have easy access to tournaments) and stay close even if they never meet in real life (especially if the games have voice chat and/or they are part of a forum like this one).

With this being said, I think it is important to find a way to get Melee online. Weren't people able to figure out how to do it with the original using ROM's/emulators? I'm not going to pretend I know all the technical technicalities behind this process but I'm sure there are at least several people who know or at least theorize how it could work and go through the process of trial and error. Again, then this would have to be a community effort and be important to the Melee and Brawl players.

lismore

Smash Cadet
I believe there is a GC emulator in progress at the moment called 'Gekko' which will have a beta version released hopefully at some point over the next year, but when there'll be a stable version with online support I have no idea.

What I'd like to know is what are the possibilities of some kind of exploit in the Wii's online capabilities (ala psychoticworm's cool, but rather impractical for most people, method of playing Melee online on the GC) that would allow online Melee play through the Wii? This would be much better than a P.C emulator imho, but I don't know if it's even possible not being a technical whizzo on these sorts of things.

Of course, there's always the possibility of Nintendo re-releasing Melee wth online for the Wii if we hound them sufficiently - petition anyone? I've seen it mentioned in other threads recently and I know I and many others would sign in a flash. Perhaps one could point out in it the easy money Nintendo could make with such a move: they already have the game after all, and merely adding online (with, perhaps, some improved graphics, minor character balancing tweaks, etc) to it can't be that hard surely? Not that Nintendo ever listened to reason mind you :p.

Sanu

Smash Champion
I did that with a few of my friends at they ALL rejected it... except for one, who felt necessary just to learn how to Wavedash and nothing more. Atleast I have you guys!!! :bee:

Zodiac

Smash Master
With this being said, I think it is important to find a way to get Melee online. Weren't people able to figure out how to do it with the original using ROM's/emulators? I'm not going to pretend I know all the technical technicalities behind this process but I'm sure there are at least several people who know or at least theorize how it could work and go through the process of trial and error. Again, then this would have to be a community effort and be important to the Melee and Brawl players.
Smash64 is online as we speak with no lag, this IS possible for melee but since the Gamecube is so much more powerful than the 64 its hard to run a good working emulator for it, of course most people are opting to have it done through the wii, which since the wii is so easy to hack, and has an sd card slot you can boot programs off of, I think this is a much higher possibility than on the gc. But yes I agree fully with you, Melee needs to go online within the next couple of years.

I believe there is a GC emulator in progress at the moment called 'Gekko' which will have a beta version released hopefully at some point over the next year, but when there'll be a stable version with online support I have no idea.

What I'd like to know is what are the possibilities of some kind of exploit in the Wii's online capabilities (ala psychoticworm's cool, but rather impractical for most people, method of playing Melee online on the GC) that would allow online Melee play through the Wii? This would be much better than a P.C emulator imho, but I don't know if it's even possible not being a technical whizzo on these sorts of things.
Im going to check this thing out, Just a note for everyone on emulators, I had a mediocre laptop(Which are always worse than desktops) and it ran the gc emulator and melee at about 20 fps. the game runs at 60 but im willing to bet most gamers that have mad computer hardware up the wazoo(Like 8 gigs of ram ect. ect.) can run and gc emulator perfectly. Its only a few years away until the average computer can do the same.

I did that with a few of my friends at they ALL rejected it... except for one, who felt necessary just to learn how to Wavedash and nothing more. Atleast I have you guys!!! :bee:
Well, I do know one of my friends who played it competitively before and we didn't even have to get him into it. but he didn't know how to l-cancel or wavedash, he thought they were a bother, eventually after smashing with as so much he learned the importance of wavedashing, but he never got into l-canceling, I think the key thing here is to get them into the competitive aspect of it and not the technical aspect of it.

otg

Smash Master
If we're going to try and network, we need some top level melee player support from m2k or something along those lines. Most of the top players have begrudgingly moved onto Brawl in light of the overall communities shift, so we know they are probably aching for some Melee to return.

Is anyone going to TGMTSBCO or whatever it's called next week in Georgia? Maybe we could try and organize something there.

MarsFool!

Smash Lord
Contact the Guilty Gear crew, find a sponsor that will pay reasonable amounts of cash and in convenient locations (Los angeles, Las Vegas, Atlanta, Dallas, New York)

Wait a minute...those locations look familiar...

**** YOU EVO

Best101

Smash Ace
I agree, I dont think it should be the main focus or our goal since people are already doing it but we should promote that to an extent. As for getting brawlers to join us, for the people who say they like melee but are just moving with brawl, Im sure they'll come on their own once the melee scene booms again(And it will). But the brawlers who just want to play brawl, unless they express and interest in it I would leave them alone since they like brawl more.

Very much so! This is one of the best ideas, but how you show them that side is the trick, pwning that doesn't work :p, that only works if someone wants to get better. I think you should talk to them depending on the person they are and what they would find appealing about the professional melee scene.

As for me, Im going to see what I can do to get a few of my friends back into the competitive melee scene. Im also doing what I can to get a tournament running here in my hometown.
What I do is four stock them a few times, and the ask me how I am so good. I show them Wak's advance how to play, and show them some of the advance techniques

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
I suggest a global genocide against anyone who prefers Brawl over Melee as a competitive game. Just a thought...

Zodiac

Smash Master
I suggest a global genocide against anyone who prefers Brawl over Melee as a competitive game. Just a thought...
Please, no one respond to this. And do you have any other ideas?

otg

Smash Master
Thank god you're trying to keep this civil Zodiac. I have a question to our community. People seem to talk about how Brawl's tournament scene is going to die and inevitably Melee will resurge. When do you all expect this to happen and why (what are the signs)? What could cause this? And also, what makes you guys so sure that with Brawl's demise people would return to Melee as opposed to just giving up on Smash in general?

All of theses are hypothetical that should probably be established before we go around trying to make 'solutions' to a problem that we might not necessarily grasp in its fullest form. Brawl is a brand new game, and everyone wants to try and make a name for themselves.

Let's not forget though that with many people abandoning Melee, people can still make a name for themselves, but in a completely new and redefined scene, with new competition full of people who in 2007 couldn't stand a chance against top level pros. We will become the new pros, and the will become the next group to set the standard of play amongst the community.

No idea why I posted this, juts felt compelled to.

thoughts?

Zodiac

Smash Master
Thank god you're trying to keep this civil Zodiac. I have a question to our community. People seem to talk about how Brawl's tournament scene is going to die and inevitably Melee will resurge. When do you all expect this to happen and why (what are the signs)? What could cause this? And also, what makes you guys so sure that with Brawl's demise people would return to Melee as opposed to just giving up on Smash in general?

All of theses are hypothetical that should probably be established before we go around trying to make 'solutions' to a problem that we might not necessarily grasp in its fullest form. Brawl is a brand new game, and everyone wants to try and make a name for themselves.

Let's not forget though that with many people abandoning Melee, people can still make a name for themselves, but in a completely new and redefined scene, with new competition full of people who in 2007 couldn't stand a chance against top level pros. We will become the new pros, and the will become the next group to set the standard of play amongst the community.

No idea why I posted this, juts felt compelled to.

thoughts?
I believe the resurgence of melee wont happen unless we make it happen, Thus the reason I made this thread, and probably the reason for Enormous GA tournament coming up. of course I dont think that the resurgence of melee will kill brawl. I believe that brawl will be dropped form the major carrier's (Evo, MLG) but tournaments will go on, so it will "kind of die" but continue none the less.

Back on topic, I've been thinking about it and I think Networking is the best first step for this. So we're going to get started on that, Im going to get started on a plan to do this, a logical first step would be contacting melee pro's that still want to play melee and have tournaments for it on a large scale again. And get their support. If any of you are reading this, we would really like your support in this effort to put melee back on the map, and your help :).

hippochinfat!!

Smash Lord
Well I think this is going to be really hard to do.

Hey by the way, I'm really thirsty right now but I also want to play Brawl. This guy will give me a pop if I don't play Brawl. What should I get? Which is better?

Zodiac

Smash Master
Well I think this is going to be really hard to do.

Hey by the way, I'm really thirsty right now but I also want to play Brawl. This guy will give me a pop if I don't play Brawl. What should I get? Which is better?
Lol, I appreciate the pun on the first post, but take the soda pop.

NOW BACK ON TOPIC EVERYONE!

Junpappy

Smash Lord
I really love Melee, but smaller communities really don't stand much of a chance in creating interest away from [Brawl], especially when most of the players are newcomers that figure they won't stand a chance in Melee and don't want to try.

Zodiac

Smash Master
I really love Melee, but smaller communities really don't stand much of a chance in creating interest for [Brawl], especially when most of the players are newcomers that figure they won't stand a chance in Melee and don't want to try.
Oh we'll see, we'll see...

metaXzero

Smash Champion
I just need to figure out how to get interest. My area has almost no competitive scene, and what little is there jumps on "that new Smash" bandwagon. Sucks even more that my friends are mostly casuals...

Basically, I need a way to effectively gain attention.

Samochan

Smash Master
There were a loads of melee-players before the new game to the franchise was released, good and bad players, so why not get them to play melee as well? Since they've played it, it should not be too hard, unless they've already forgotten how to play melee (shame on them!). Hosting really big tourneys should help gather interest back to melee or at least, both games. How hard it can be to host 3 day tourney with both melee and brawl? These would probably gather the biggest turnout ever and huge pots of money for both if you manage them correcly.

Where I live, I've managed to get 2 places for rent entirely free of charge that both fit 200 people, so it should not be an impossiblity to get such a place for relatively reasonable price and then get moar money for the pot. :3 Then both communities can interact and the competitive melee community could recruit the ssbb players if they're interested in melee and vice versa. I mean, how hard it can be to play both games if you just practice enough? Wouldn't it be awesome to be succesful not only on melee, but brawl as well and win double the money and double the fame? So why abandon melee? Only those that truly suck at melee and don't want to improve or lack competition on their area on melee, yet still love it, go for brawl and abandon melee completely.

The lack of competition on your area can be fixed, if they were good enough on melee to be serious competitors, they should be able to play melee well like they did before and since they did like it enough to play and compete on it, they can start playing it again. If there wasn't good competition on your area before ssbb, there will not be after ssbb. But if there was before, there is now as well, you just have to get them interested in melee again if they've lost it. Heck, my friend got back to melee as well after quite load of break of not playing competitively. Melee is such a game it does not let go easily, look at Ken and Azen who came back after "I quit this game". Debating which one is better game competitively or overall is a no-go, but simply getting them interested again should not be tedious job unless they really don't like melee over ssbb, in which case leave them playing the game they love more.

Zodiac

Smash Master
There were a loads of melee-players before the new game to the franchise was released, good and bad players, so why not get them to play melee as well? Since they've played it, it should not be too hard, unless they've already forgotten how to play melee (shame on them!). Hosting really big tourneys should help gather interest back to melee or at least, both games. How hard it can be to host 3 day tourney with both melee and brawl? These would probably gather the biggest turnout ever and huge pots of money for both if you manage them correcly.

Where I live, I've managed to get 2 places for rent entirely free of charge that both fit 200 people, so it should not be an impossiblity to get such a place for relatively reasonable price and then get moar money for the pot. :3 Then both communities can interact and the competitive melee community could recruit the ssbb players if they're interested in melee and vice versa. I mean, how hard it can be to play both games if you just practice enough? Wouldn't it be awesome to be succesful not only on melee, but brawl as well and win double the money and double the fame? So why abandon melee? Only those that truly suck at melee and don't want to improve or lack competition on their area on melee, yet still love it, go for brawl and abandon melee completely.

The lack of competition on your area can be fixed, if they were good enough on melee to be serious competitors, they should be able to play melee well like they did before and since they did like it enough to play and compete on it, they can start playing it again. If there wasn't good competition on your area before ssbb, there will not be after ssbb. But if there was before, there is now as well, you just have to get them interested in melee again if they've lost it. Heck, my friend got back to melee as well after quite load of break of not playing competitively. Melee is such a game it does not let go easily, look at Ken and Azen who came back after "I quit this game". Debating which one is better game competitively or overall is a no-go, but simply getting them interested again should not be tedious job unless they really don't like melee over ssbb, in which case leave them playing the game they love more.
I want everyone to BURN THIS INTO YOUR MIND, for real, keeping this mindset can really really help, I just found a free venue myself in my hometown and i'm making preparations for a tournament to take place there. (BTW nice job and getting two venues for free that hold 200 people!)

yoshi_fan

Smash Ace
In Europe there are still Melee tournaments... and even i think it will continue existing them around here :p

Samochan

Smash Master
I want everyone to BURN THIS INTO YOUR MIND, for real, keeping this mindset can really really help, I just found a free venue myself in my hometown and i'm making preparations for a tournament to take place there. (BTW nice job and getting two venues for free that hold 200 people!)
Actually the venue thing is not even biggy here where I live. Finland supports youth activity in different ways between municipalities (region, whateva) and in my city it's supported, so we have many places people to age 29 can have multiple activities ranging from cook clubs to wallcrawling and simply hanging around the youth houses. It can also be rented for many activites, so I just went there, asked about it, signed a few papers, get the keys for each triweekly and let my triweeklies began. :3

They also came with 2 free tv's (other one is nice big flat tv for brawling), kitchen, chairs, tables, sofas, mattresses, pillows, blankets, magazines, board games, wireless internet connection, stereos, grills and pizzerias and stores next to you, air conditioning... Free of charge cause Finland is awesome in that way. :chuckle: It was simply irresistable to leave such a perfect venue unused, wouldn't you agree?

Shame the other one closes for summer. >_> But I hope the other one is still open. If not.. ;_;

Zodiac

Smash Master
Right, so anyone else feel free to inject your ideas here.

Chout

Smash Rookie
This is just an idea not sure if its possible, keep in mind that i myself was never competive i knew about advanced techniques about 2 years ago and i am just now deciding to learn them becuase i want to go to tournaments, with that said how hard would it be to have a seperate board on the forums for just strictly melee tournaments, that way its easier access and if there are alot of tournaments people have a better chance of noticing that melee is still striving

Zodiac

Smash Master
This is just an idea not sure if its possible, keep in mind that i myself was never competive i knew about advanced techniques about 2 years ago and i am just now deciding to learn them becuase i want to go to tournaments, with that said how hard would it be to have a seperate board on the forums for just strictly melee tournaments, that way its easier access and if there are alot of tournaments people have a better chance of noticing that melee is still striving
Its very possible.

Reaver197

Smash Lord
Hmm...I've been having some thoughts about trying to organize something at NYU. I think the guy who used to organize the Melee tournaments graduated this year...

debaser

Smash Lord
yeah.

personally, I think anything brawl related should move to all is brawl and melee continue to reside here. it seems silly to have the brawl stuff occur simultaneously on two different websites. And a lot of people who switched to brawl use all is brawl almost exclusively now; they rarely come here anymore

otg

Smash Master
yeah.

personally, I think anything brawl related should move to all is brawl and melee continue to reside here. it seems silly to have the brawl stuff occur simultaneously on two different websites. And a lot of people who switched to brawl use all is brawl almost exclusively now; they rarely come here anymore
Maybe we can just scare them away.... BOOO!

My MvC2 friend said the people who run Season's Beatings III in Ohio are really cool about letting people host events there. Brawl is already on the ticket, as are a number of other games. Maybe someone from the area could try contacting these people? This could be a huge step in keeping Melee alive in that this is a major fighting event with many other games, and we could see how well Melee stacks up against Brawl.

We just need to hype it and find someone who's willing to try running it from the area. Thoughts?

Zodiac

Smash Master
Maybe we can just scare them away.... BOOO!

My MvC2 friend said the people who run Season's Beatings III in Ohio are really cool about letting people host events there. Brawl is already on the ticket, as are a number of other games. Maybe someone from the area could try contacting these people? This could be a huge step in keeping Melee alive in that this is a major fighting event with many other games, and we could see how well Melee stacks up against Brawl.

We just need to hype it and find someone who's willing to try running it from the area. Thoughts?
Go post in the regional zones or get in contact with smashers in that area about running the tournament.

Beeble

Smash Journeyman
What are peoples thoughts on holding melee only tournaments vs integrated tournaments? Which is the best option for supporting the melee community?

Top Bottom