• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bolstering the Melee community! A collaboration, come brainstorm!

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Actually, outside of Japan and West Coast/Midwest USA, most of the world is still playing Melee. The European scene is still big and there's still alot of tournaments with Melee on the East Coast. It just seems like everyone out here on West Coast is lame playing Brawl.

Zodiac

Smash Master
Hey Zodiac, if your trying to plan a major Melee tourney, NC would be glad to host. I would at least.
Yea that sounds awesome, I'll pm you later so we can start planning the details. Also the tourney in my sig will only be my first one, Im GOING to hold more of them and the next one will be bigger.

Zodiac

Smash Master
Im gonna try and convince t!Mmy and t0mmy to go to your Bend tourney Zodiac. They seem sort of "Brawl or nothing" but I figure its worth a shot.
Awesome, do you think you'll be attending?

There's always the smashfest afterward.

EDIT:
Post 777, Time to take a snapshot!
lol, yea I even enjoy brawl sometimes, so that and 64 smash might make an appearance

Gojira

Smash Lord
Melee is a gonner

I love melee. It is really a good game. However, its done for. Melee will not make a comeback or be even half as popular as it was during its peak. Too many people want Brawl. For what reason....I clearly dont understand. Melee is just dead. I am sorry....thats justhow it is. No one is going to go backwards to play melee. Mainly if they never have played it before.

L__

Smash Master
You guys, the Metreon in San Francisco gave me their number. All I have to do is arrange everything and we can have a major tournament there. I need a TON of interest before I can reserve an area.

highandmightyjoe

Smash Ace
I really hope that Melee comes back because I never got much of a chance to play competetively when it was first released. I live in Kentucky where there are 0 smash players. But this semester I'm going to Virginia for College where there are actually some people worth playing. So I'll do my best to get something going when I get there. It shouldn't be to hard since I'm going to Devry for the game degree and they put me in a dorm with all gamers, so awesome. Shouldn't be too hard to find players there.

And as far as Melee being dead, there are alot of fighting games that continued to be played after sequels where realeased. It's really just up to the community. I'm pretty sure UMK3 is still the most popular MK game(with good reason), and there have been like 6 new titles since then. So it's still possible, it will just take effort.

game set

Smash Apprentice
I was going to host biweeklies, but im looking into fair rules for integrating moveswapping for those interested. people who wanted to play with a moveswapped character would only have to bring an AR. Although most likely alot of the characters are broken, and alot of issues have yet to be dealt with, so i started a thread. I'll main bowserfox.

Cinder

Smash Master
I just tell all my friends that all the pro's went back to melee because of this.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFcnnPtUhGw&feature=related
It works, to an extent.
No, you got it all wrong

It's because of THIS that pro's went back to melee http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Y8rQ_0zNIg
The way I see it, both of those vids are good enough to get people back in :laugh: one's epic enough fail, the other one's freakin' Scar...

Anyway, I've been doing all I can to bolster the Melee community...I run a forum that is designed for competitive Melee and Guilty Gear players (look at my sig)...and I'm also planning to host a tourney as soon as I can...

Blitzmidfielder

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, it's me again.

I'm hosting bi-weekly tourneys now, and have a venue which happens to be an internet cafe and marketing corp. I'm hosting both Brawl and Melee, to bring over Brawl players to Melee. As far as the region goes, I'm the biggest tourney holder in province to my knowledge.

The problem that happened here was that Brawl appeared and killed all interest in the players locally. It's taking me a lot of rallying to get them back in for Melee (which they're ecstatic about). It's crazy, but it happened in Alberta, too.

AetherLord

Smash Journeyman
I only started playing Melee competitvely recently...IF THERES ANYONE TO PLAY WITH HERE!...

But for melee dying...no

I'm sure some good amount of street fighter tourneys and games like that are still around...

Scar

#HarveyDent
Smashtality IV had more singles entrants for Melee (36) than for Brawl (29).

Also, posting epic Melee matches is always a good way to get people excited about the game and turn people off to Brawl, which is why after Smashtality IV I uploaded every single tourney set I played that day for the viewing pleasure of the MILLIONS..... and MILLIONS of Scar fans around the world.

<3

Samochan

Smash Master
Hey guys, it's me again.

I'm hosting bi-weekly tourneys now, and have a venue which happens to be an internet cafe and marketing corp. I'm hosting both Brawl and Melee, to bring over Brawl players to Melee. As far as the region goes, I'm the biggest tourney holder in province to my knowledge.

The problem that happened here was that Brawl appeared and killed all interest in the players locally. It's taking me a lot of rallying to get them back in for Melee (which they're ecstatic about). It's crazy, but it happened in Alberta, too.
Mm

Get good players confirmed to show up, make a good post here in smashboards with all the info (people dun like vagueness), possibly get food or other little stuff, recordings (people love to get themselves recorded =D) and uuh.. what else. Oh well, I'm sure you can rally up loads of people for melee if you just make the effort. :3

Oh and have one laptop dedicated to roll "I Killed Mufasa" over and over again to get brawl people hooked. :p

Oh and scar... oomg I need to go and see those vids! *scrambles away to youtube*

L__

Smash Master
Since no one seems interested in the tourney in SF, I'll cancel the reservations.

Zodiac

Smash Master
I just tell all my friends that all the pro's went back to melee because of this.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFcnnPtUhGw&feature=related
It works, to an extent.
No, you got it all wrong

It's because of THIS that pro's went back to melee http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Y8rQ_0zNIg
The way I see it, both of those vids are good enough to get people back in :laugh: one's epic enough fail, the other one's freakin' Scar...

Anyway, I've been doing all I can to bolster the Melee community...I run a forum that is designed for competitive Melee and Guilty Gear players (look at my sig)...and I'm also planning to host a tourney as soon as I can...
Lets not forget this one , http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6viaa76cAo what tourney L? is in my vicinity?

And L, have you made a thread for it yet in pacific west?

Oracle

Smash Master
Maybe we should start an organized group or something of people who think melee>brawl.
We could hold melee tournaments with a specific title or something.

L__

Smash Master
Maybe we should start an organized group or something of people who think melee>brawl.
We could hold melee tournaments with a specific title or something.

I hope you don't mean as a game..

It's thoughts like these that starts flame fests.

The_T0k3n_Effect

Smash Rookie
Chesapeake, VA...The place where Brawl hardly rule
Here's an idea...

I was originally gonna post a topic on this, and still might, but here goes.

Anyone know about WADit? The Wii channel creator? Well, I think of it like this. From what I've read on it, it can make channels based on DOL or ELF files. To "save" (not really, more like, prolong) Melee's existence, I think that the channel should host as a server (kinda like B****'s) to set up matches. I'm still trying to learn how this would work myself, but I've been looking into it, and I think this really is the best way.

Instead of friend codes, you could be able to exchange IP addresses so the Wii's wifi can be connected.

Zodiac

Smash Master
lol, I thought for sure it was the Shiz/M2K set.
Lol someone already posted that but since im so well known for it...................

MEW2KING VS DASHIZWIZ 5!

I was originally gonna post a topic on this, and still might, but here goes.

Anyone know about WADit? The Wii channel creator? Well, I think of it like this. From what I've read on it, it can make channels based on DOL or ELF files. To "save" (not really, more like, prolong) Melee's existence, I think that the channel should host as a server (kinda like B****'s) to set up matches. I'm still trying to learn how this would work myself, but I've been looking into it, and I think this really is the best way.

Instead of friend codes, you could be able to exchange IP addresses so the Wii's wifi can be connected.
Start talking to phsycotic worm or someone that knows about this because this would **** if a channel could do this, I actually was thinking that a channel could do this.

Vulcan55

Smash Lord
Start talking to phsycotic worm or someone that knows about this because this would **** if a channel could do this, I actually was thinking that a channel could do this.
I'm a little sceptical when nit comes to handing out my IP adress over the internet.
But if this is proven to work, that would be very awesome.

game set

Smash Apprentice
If melee was online i'd be playing instead of sleeping. I know it can be hacked, but if was as simple as a wii channel I would cry.

Oracle

Smash Master
True, melee online without lag (to the extent of brawl) would be godly.

But wasn't there some gamecube homebrew app that did just that?

The_T0k3n_Effect

Smash Rookie
Chesapeake, VA...The place where Brawl hardly rule
True, melee online without lag (to the extent of brawl) would be godly.

But wasn't there some gamecube homebrew app that did just that?
Do you mean Psychotic Worms' PSO online hack? This right here: http://www.geocities.com/the_psychotic_worm/ssbmonlinetutorial.htm

If you DO mean this, it worked, but it was difficult to pull off and not well known. Plus the materials were hard to get.

If it's something else, it's news to me.

Ok, I'll try to find a way to contact him. This just HAS to work.

Sizzle

I paint controllers
I totally agree with the idea of a large tournament that will let rivalries play a big part. For example, when FC3 was hosted a couple years back, I don't think there has ever been a tournament with such a stacked amount of players, even to this day. Large crew battles always generate a lot of hype, especially regional crews. West coast has never made a big presence on the East Coast and vice versa. Somewhere in the Midwest is probably the best bet, IMO, to allow a large scale national tournament to get maximum attendance. This is all of course easier said than done. However, there are very capable tournament hosts in every corner of the country, and with some collaboration, I'm willing to bet a large scale tournament can be a reality with such tournament hosts working together.

highandmightyjoe

Smash Ace
I thought for sure I had heard about a project to make Gamecube play online, not just Melee but alot of other games too. My understanding was that it never really got off the ground and the project was abandoned. If there ever where one that worked though, then I should probably stay away from it. It wouldn't be healthy to play that much.

Amide

Smash Lord
I'm going to get Melee in a couple days! It will be the first time in two years! I think I'm going to learn however, playing Melee is NOT like riding a bike. It's going to be pathetic.

Top Bottom