• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bolstering the Melee community! A collaboration, come brainstorm!

meresilence0

Smash Apprentice
I thought for sure I had heard about a project to make Gamecube play online, not just Melee but alot of other games too. My understanding was that it never really got off the ground and the project was abandoned. If there ever where one that worked though, then I should probably stay away from it. It wouldn't be healthy to play that much.
That project still technically exists. The only example I can think of right now is Phantasy Star Online, but if you look at the underside of a gamecube, you see a modem port. The gamecube _can_ have technical online play, except it wasn't really hyped, and it was developed after melee was released.

Getting back on topic, I really enjoy melee a lot. It's all I play over my school breaks, and I poured so much time into the game that me giving it up at any point is wasted time.

I have friends who just don't play melee anymore, but I have one pal who is also into the reviving melee scene, and we are working on trying to host several "last-gen" tournaments in our area. It is unfortunate that this game is getting swept under the rug so early, and given the considerable amount of time that so many people invested, it's really stupid. Melee and SSB64 will always have their niches, and they really are both tournament games. Hopefully they don't get abandoned to the musty pages of past gaming history.

Phat Yoshi

Smash Cadet
Like so many have already said, getting Melee online would bolster it beyond belief.

I understand it wouldn't be an easy task.

If someone could manage to not only take it online, but make it superior to Brawl's online (Which wouldn't be too hard to beat. :urg:) then you'd have a serious hit on your hands.

At this point I'm truly surprised it hasn't gone online already consitering the 64 version is already up and the game is over 7 years old. If it hasn't been done this late in the game, why? There must be some reason thats kept if from happening. A game that was as popular as Melee would have had someone looking for a way to take it online long before now or at least I would think.

What kind of system requirements would it take to run a GC emulator anyway? I suppose thats the first step. Computer hardware has made great advances since Melee first came out, I would think we could handle it by now.

person701

Smash Journeyman
Besides hosting tournaments what else can be done? It's pretty much useless to try and get Brawlers to join our scene. Maybe our new focus on tournaments should be to avoid Top/High tiers so we can expand on the Metagame of mid-bottom tiers. This was already starting to take place in the last year, as many mid tier characters have started to place very high or win tournaments (jiggz, icies, ganon, samus to name a few). Maybe the next step in Melee's evolution is to exploit and expand on the rest of the cast besides the top 10.
I <3 this idea of expanding on the lower characters. It could have such a chance at bringing Melee back because of switched tiers, matchups, stages. Like Zodiac said:
Try looking a little outside vancouver for tournaments, and dont settle for "I dont have the resources" cause neither do I and I'm doing all I can to get other's to start a tournament. go post in you regional boards and find some people who would be willing to host melee tournaments and then promote them and make sure tons of people know about them.

This goes for everyone else as well. I can garuntee that theres a bigger smash community where you live than you think! You just have to really try and find it. And theres always a place to host a tournament, most of the time its going to be someones house, a store basement, a public library or other stuff like that. There's more free venues around than you think, just gotta look.
Except put characters into this. Explore the characters. Before I say what I'm about to (sorry to break "the rule") I did read the first post. If we possibly explore some of the factors that Brawl has (*gulp*) then maybe we might find something new. Cwalking, could lead to something in Melee. RARing too. As I remember reading from someone a LONG time ago and one of my fav quotes in the smash world:
No matter how many times, no matter how often, no matter after how long, you'll ALWAYS find something new that was waiting there for you in Melee.
And it's true. I've dropped Melee for a month, came back to it and found an amazing thing that helped my playing. We just need to explore, take as much time as we need. Melee started slow and we only found Wavedashing because of some random player trying to catch an item mid-tournie who ended up randomly landing and catching it leaving the community to ponder, "How'd he do that?" If everyone left that plays Melee could pick one character and five attacks, and explore EACH attack by EACH frame with EVERY option inbetween, I'm sure we'd come to something.

Melee's not dead, nor is it far from it, nor will it ever die. It is by far the most competitive game ever. Nothing compairs to the amount of things a player has to know, relize and do all at the same time. I myself feel as if we've only discovered nearly 60% of what Melee holds.

person701

Smash Journeyman
Like so many have already said, getting Melee online would bolster it beyond belief.

I understand it wouldn't be an easy task.

If someone could manage to not only take it online, but make it superior to Brawl's online (Which wouldn't be too hard to beat. :urg:) then you'd have a serious hit on your hands.

At this point I'm truly surprised it hasn't gone online already consitering the 64 version is already up and the game is over 7 years old. If it hasn't been done this late in the game, why? There must be some reason thats kept if from happening. A game that was as popular as Melee would have had someone looking for a way to take it online long before now or at least I would think.

What kind of system requirements would it take to run a GC emulator anyway? I suppose thats the first step. Computer hardware has made great advances since Melee first came out, I would think we could handle it by now.
Actually, to say the truth, someone has found a way to get Melee online. However, upon my reading of this (and watching; I'll find vids links later), it has some requirments.

-GC LAN Adapter
-Phantasy Start Online Ep.1&2
-A special program designed for such

However, there is two huge draw backs.

1.) The game would crash on a stage that has random events. IE: on Coneria, there's absolutly NO pattern in which the ships fly in. However, Mute City would be playable becuase everything runs in a smooth line and will have the same outcome of events every single time.
2.) Rubber Banding is what they called. There was always the posiblity of this happening. You'd hit someone, they'd fly 10 feet, snap back where they came from, fly back from which they came 10 feet, and come back. Repeating over and over.

But yes, someone need to get this game online.

Phat Yoshi

Smash Cadet
Actually, to say the truth, someone has found a way to get Melee online. It has some requirments.

-GC LAN Adapter
-Phantasy Start Online Ep.1&2
-A special program designed for such

However, there is two huge draw backs.

1.) The game would crash on a stage that has random events. IE: on Coneria, there's absolutly NO pattern in which the ships fly in. However, Mute City would be playable becuase everything runs in a smooth line and will have the same outcome of events every single time.
2.) Rubber Banding is what they called. There was always the posiblity of this happening. You'd hit someone, they'd fly 10 feet, snap back where they came from, fly back from which they came 10 feet, and come back. Repeating over and over.

But yes, someone need to get this game online.

I see, I figured it would have been attempted before hand.

Those requirements are ridiculous, although I commend whoever discovered it for the effort. Sounds to me as if need to find a new method of going about it all together. Asking for the Melee faithful to all grab a Lan Adapter alone is a stretch.

If its going to be done it needs to be accessible to everyone and easy to do, otherwise it would drive away protental users. Sorry for pointing out the obvious, I just had to finish the thought.

Someone already put forth the idea of working with the Wii's online ability over that of the GC, at this point that makes more sense to me. I really wish I could actually work toward this project! A lagless online Melee would be amazing.

person701

Smash Journeyman
I see, I figured it would have been attempted before hand.

Those requirements are ridiculous, although I commend whoever discovered it for the effort. Sounds to me as if need to find a new method of going about it all together. Asking for the Melee faithful to all grab a Lan Adapter alone is a stretch.

If its going to be done it needs to be accessible to everyone and easy to do, otherwise it would drive away protental users. Sorry for pointing out the obvious, I just had to finish the thought.

Someone already put forth the idea of working with the Wii's online ability over that of the GC, at this point that makes more sense to me. I really wish I could actually work toward this project! A lagless online Melee would be amazing.
I understand. If we could get agroup of techies around here to be able to figure out how we could get this to work, that'd be the bomb.

Also, one thing to point out about a Wii chanel to do such, all Nintendo would have to do is issue an update to destroy said channel <_< That's what they did after the release of the homebrew channel (if anyone's ever heard of it).

Phat Yoshi

Smash Cadet
Also, one thing to point out about a Wii chanel to do such, all Nintendo would have to do is issue an update to destroy said channel <_< That's what they did after the release of the homebrew channel (if anyone's ever heard of it).
I really hadn't thought of that. Nintendo would pop as many updates as needed to brick any Wii based efforts, if they caught on.

And how could you advertise the program without them catching on? You'd have to trade mass advertising for small scale invites, which wouldn't reach out to new players or would be too limited to make something like this worthwile.

Perhaps this is the reason it hasn't been done yet? Mystery solved! :laugh:

I guess this means the computer or GC are the only true variable options for taking Melee online. What an ordeal!

The_T0k3n_Effect

Smash Rookie
Chesapeake, VA...The place where Brawl hardly rule
Sadness

I managed to contact Psychotic Worm...sadly, this is what he sent me back.

"hey man. Well bad news is I havent been in the development community for years, and a project that deep would take more time than its worth. Busy with college and the sort. Sorry to break that to ya, but ya, brawl is the way to play now. sorry cant help you."

:( That reply made me sad. And although he was one of the first people who came to my mind, I haven't given up hope just yet...

There's always someone else... :confused:

Cinder

Smash Master
I managed to contact Psychotic Worm...sadly, this is what he sent me back.

"hey man. Well bad news is I havent been in the development community for years, and a project that deep would take more time than its worth. Busy with college and the sort. Sorry to break that to ya, but ya, brawl is the way to play now. sorry cant help you."

:( That reply made me sad. And although he was one of the first people who came to my mind, I haven't given up hope just yet...

There's always someone else... :confused:
Statement of pure fail
Perhaps if you really want it, there's someone who hasn't given up on Melee?

And btw, it looks like I should be able to host...a friend of mine has connections with a student at a local university (VCU) that would allow us to host biweeklies...I'd do it at my school (we have a great place, too), but they have weekend classes, and wouldn't allow us to host >.>

The_T0k3n_Effect

Smash Rookie
Chesapeake, VA...The place where Brawl hardly rule
Statement of pure fail
Perhaps if you really want it, there's someone who hasn't given up on Melee?

And btw, it looks like I should be able to host...a friend of mine has connections with a student at a local university (VCU) that would allow us to host biweeklies...I'd do it at my school (we have a great place, too), but they have weekend classes, and wouldn't allow us to host >.>
Fo' real, man? That would be cool, but the thing is, I'm just getting back to Melee after 6 or so months. That means I gotta get back up to speed with my technique and such, but yeah, nice.

Yeah, I will have to find someone else. I would do it myself, but, I don't have that kinda knowledge at the moment. (Might give it a try though).

EDIT:
I really hadn't thought of that. Nintendo would pop as many updates as needed to brick any Wii based efforts, if they caught on.

And how could you advertise the program without them catching on? You'd have to trade mass advertising for small scale invites, which wouldn't reach out to new players or would be too limited to make something like this worthwile.

Perhaps this is the reason it hasn't been done yet? Mystery solved! :laugh:

I guess this means the computer or GC are the only true variable options for taking Melee online. What an ordeal!
Aww man... That's some real s***, lol. If the gamecube truly IS the only way to play Melee online, then it's gonna suck for those who SOLD their's (me, lol).

Or we could just NOT update the Wii's :laugh:.

person701

Smash Journeyman
Or we could just NOT update the Wii's :laugh:.
But knowing that Nintendo would want to decline said idea of online play, they'd make the new update have something awsome added with it. Something that'd be hard to resist...

However, I do remember after reading again on the homebrew scene that if you had installed the channel BEFORE the update, it'd still work fine. Again, knowing Nintendo, they'll do their update **** this time blocking and deleting any foregin files <_< **** you Nintendo.

Though like said before, it may be possible to hack the GC to work and possibly later Wii (through teh USB in the back anyone?). The GC however would require use of the plug-ins on the bottom of the consol.

Ya, I know what I'm talking about, but sadly, I wish I knew how to do all this stuff =\

Phat Yoshi

Smash Cadet
I could be mistaken, but don't the updates now scroll across the Disc Channel whenever the Wii picks them up? I think so long as the Wii is online and finds the update it forces you to grab it before it will allow you to use the Disc channel.

Again I could be wrong, it has been some time since my last Wii update.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
I don't think melee online would be a very big hit, because lag is inevitable, and it's very important in a game like this to not have lag. Not only that, the fact that you need to go out and actually meet people to play makes it more fun and feel more like a real community imo.
If you think about it, there are very few competitive fighting game scenes where online play is in focus (or are there any at all? lol)

Zodiac

Smash Master
I don't think melee online would be a very big hit, because lag is inevitable, and it's very important in a game like this to not have lag. Not only that, the fact that you need to go out and actually meet people to play makes it more fun and feel more like a real community imo.
If you think about it, there are very few competitive fighting game scenes where online play is in focus (or are there any at all? lol)
It would be a bigger hit than brawl online... oh wait brawl's online is not a hit. its a MISS

Red the Ghost

Smash Ace
The homebrew channel still works... team twiizers found away around the new update three days after it was released - or have they released a 3.4 already?

person701

Smash Journeyman
The homebrew channel still works... team twiizers found away around the new update three days after it was released - or have they released a 3.4 already?
Link plz? I'm not doubting you, just curious.

I watched on G4 the other night some guy had hacked the Wii into being a virtual reality world with glasses, kinda like the Virtual Boy o.O

Top Bottom