• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Big secret muscles

Thibault

Smash Apprentice
I just want to throw this out there but i love dks dthrow on bf. At killing %s it causes them to land on one of the side platforms and you can then run up and upsmash or if you are too slow just tech chase them on the platform and upsmash. Why dont more dks do this?

waldorf2007

Smash Ace
NNID
Waldorf2007
past 70% what kind of DI from b throw lands you on that platform? never seen that happen. they must be DIing down?

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
D-Throw is useful in general for Dk, I've watched Will, countless times do D-Throw -> Dash shield -> Read.

Obviously at percents where it places them into tumble state.

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
cargo d-throw to throw them on the platforms is super powerful, if that's what we're talking about. Also at certain percents you can use u-throw to make them land in a tech position on the top platform. I think I'm thinking it happens at ~70% vs Snake?

Ruinn

Smash Ace
THERES SO MUCH STUFF TO LEARN STILL GUYS, DK IS NOT AT HIS PEEK, KEEP GOING. /caps

recently, in a few matches, ive been doing a lot of nair oos, since in away its similar to mk's nair with multiple hit boxes, and it's been working out pretty decently.

waldorf2007

Smash Ace
NNID
Waldorf2007
that sounds like a thing that works on wifi. has it worked offline at all? :| it's a pretty bad option IMO, would only work if the person you were playing thought DK had zero shield options and jumped straight into it

Ruinn

Smash Ace
ive only tried it on wifi, but it doesnt seem like that type of thing. it does cover in front and behind him, so meh. illl try it at the next tourney i go to

waldorf2007

Smash Ace
NNID
Waldorf2007
I can see it working on tiers lower than dk, where they think their aerial out of shield will beat it. then they meet the in-progress nair. the only use oos for nair I've seen is a mindgame empty short hop, but then the first hit of nair as you ff. that's worked on many people in my experience, as they try to capitalize a bit too late.

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
I can't imagine this ever being a better option than u-air out of shield. U-air's last hitbox, where DK has his head down, will come out before n-air even begins. And I'm fairly sure that hitbox hits lower and further away than n-air. Because u-air is a really good move and n-air is garbage :c.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I've risen from the grave and will be playing brawl at APEX. DK my homey

Luigi player

Smash Master
jump-upB oos is better than nair oos most of the time... if you don't hit / the opponent only has low % you can get punished though :x

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
Jump up-b oos is good if they're still airborne but vs a grounded opponent you're giving them a free punish, even at higher percents unless they're slow as hell.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Jump up-b oos is good if they're still airborne but vs a grounded opponent you're giving them a free punish, even at higher percents unless they're slow as hell.
Well it's not like nair OOS would hit then, unless you use it when falling down again :p
And taller opponents can still be hit.

Attila the Hun

Smash Ace
NNID
Aedrenaline
3DS FC
2208-4906-7922
They prolly did it on purpose.

In other news, if I don't beat you, I have tough times, so it's basically balls.

Can we have a manly DK hug before the set?

DAMNIT!

You use Black DK too, don't you!? D:

Attila the Hun

Smash Ace
NNID
Aedrenaline
3DS FC
2208-4906-7922
Wish ya didn't leave so darn early on Sunday though, I was looking for non-gameplay pictures, hah. :(

Ah well.

And if Pit/Olimar get out of the way, Will can win it. xD

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
The day DK wins a national would be so hype. The following tier list, we would only drop 1 spot instead of 4.

fLAPINGO

Smash Rookie
Hi, my name is Jungerunojepusida. Gamertag: Japes = Short for the incomprehensive fake japanese title for the donkey kong stage Jungle Japes.
Im 17 years old and live in Sweden. Im ranked 3 best DK in scandinavia (Of all the Scandinavian DKs? :p)
Please visit my facebook yo https://www.facebook.com/casper.k.nilsson
My favourite videogames must be: Brawl, Zelda OoT, Pokemon, Tales of Vesperia.
I main DK because hes like me! I like to attend tournaments, yes. I've entered like three tournaments so far, and i've only played for a year.
I like to think of myself as alternative. I play guitar and videogames.

Attila the Hun

Smash Ace
NNID
Aedrenaline
3DS FC
2208-4906-7922
Hi, my name is Jungerunojepusida. Gamertag: Japes = Short for the incomprehensive fake japanese title for the donkey kong stage Jungle Japes.
Im 17 years old and live in Sweden. Im ranked 3 best DK in scandinavia (Of all the Scandinavian DKs? :p)
I main DK because hes like me! I like to attend tournaments, yes. I've entered like three tournaments so far, and i've only played for a year.
Join the club! Glad to see people still join our ranks. :)

Jebu-95

Smash Journeyman
Welcome to the boards. Be active so that you don't end up being a stalker/lurker like me :cool:
It was fun playing you that one time when you came over here. Come again sometime.
btw http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NY6s_mC3iZo&list=UUEhGpEcaFDa5YLvHJuyrapw&index=6 sry, just had to :awesome:

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
If there's anything we can help you with please don't be afraid to ask. We seem sorta inactive but we're always just waiting for something interesting to talk about.

fLAPINGO

Smash Rookie
Could you give me some MU info about Ike and Marth?

It's only because im lazy. And some uses for N-air?

BeanBurrito

Smash Cadet
I'm also mostly a lurker, but I'm really trying to get better. I actually have a tourney that I'm going to Saturday. How is DK supposed to approach Snake? I always eat a ton of damage from grenades whenever I try to get close enough to hit him.

Jebu-95

Smash Journeyman
There is no right way to approach. Some approaches work depending on what he's doing. Down-B (spaced well) is obviously really good against a grounded character like Snake but you should avoid using it on grenades. I personally prefer rushing in on Snake so that he doesn't set up his camping game. If you suspect that he's going to DACUS, get ready to pivot grab. You could also try something like jumping/staying outside of his f-tilt range. This could pressure him into committing to a nair or a DACUS.
tl;dr: there is no right way to approach, some approaches just work depending on the situation. Try experimenting with countering his options next time you play friendlies vs. a Snake (even CPUs might work so that you get the idea of his and your moves/options)

boomers

Smash Cadet
i am trying to main dk i have some questions
1) how are you supposed to cargo dtrow?
2)GFSC can someone explain me how this works?
3)Donkey-Ken Combo and this too

if someone can help me with this i would appreciate it :)

waldorf2007

Smash Ace
NNID
Waldorf2007
-grab, press forward direction, then down throw with a to throw? or did you mean how to effectively use it in match?
-GFSC is to footstool, then cancel your upward momentum with headbutt, I often need to b reverse to actually have the headbutt hit. but because of footstool lag for opponent it's guaranteed but very rarely viable. the term is actually grounded footstool combo so it's not specific to headbutt, but honestly that's all really that DK can get out of it. on tall characters I know DK can footstool to immediately up B and hit some characters though.

-not sure what you mean by donkey-ken combo. if you're referring to jump bair to dair, that's not a combo and not a good idea lol. chaining bairs is nice though.

boomers

Smash Cadet
well im not sure but if you down throw should the opponent go down or just vertical? cuz if i let him down throw he just throws him infront? and how can you use this effiectivly in a situation?

ook

Smash Lord
http://www.screwattack.com/shows/originals/random-awesomeness/apex-2013-we-tried-being-brawl-pros
1:40
loooooooool :colorful:

well im not sure but if you down throw should the opponent go down or just vertical? cuz if i let him down throw he just throws him infront? and how can you use this effiectivly in a situation?
Yeah dthrow just throws them in front of you. Forward throw throws them diagonally (which is kind of useless) and upthrow throws them up. I usually use dthrow to throw them off the ledge so you can edgeguard or something, but that never really works. Upthrow might be a better choice, so you can hit them when they land. And of course the stage spike.

I'm also mostly a lurker, but I'm really trying to get better. I actually have a tourney that I'm going to Saturday. How is DK supposed to approach Snake? I always eat a ton of damage from grenades whenever I try to get close enough to hit him.
IMO Down-b is the perfect approach against Snake. If he's pulling grenades, you can just run straight up to him and down-b. The range is so big that the grenades won't damage you. Down-b is like the #1 move against Snake.

Could you give me some MU info about Ike and Marth?

It's only because im lazy. And some uses for N-air?
You can use nair to hit people out of airdodges, because it lasts for a while. And you COULD use it to get back from the ledge, but that's dangerous lol. I wouldn't trust it to beat out whatever they're gonna do.

For Marth I think you just gotta space well. Ftilt and bair seem to be the main stuff to use against him. Try grounded up-b'ing him, and if he knows that he can up-b YOU out of it, never do it again lol. But if he doesn't know that, feel free to up-b a lot.

Ike, I dunno, I usually get wrecked by Ike :(

Tesh

Smash Hero
wow that video was really awesome lol
glad those guys had a good time

Top Bottom