• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Big secret muscles

fLAPINGO

Smash Rookie
Sometimes i use N-air like a reset. Wich means: if you hit a character with a weak attack in their flopping animation, they will be forced to stand up... I dont really know how to explain that better.
But if you maybe just jab and the second jab sends the opponent just high enough for them to land on a platform (Battlefield! :D) and missing the tech, they will flop. And then you sourspot the n-air to up-smash.
Just dont fastfall the n-air, because then it will have landinglag too long for you to hyphen up-smash.

Hyphen up-smash is when you do a upsmash in the dashanimation. It's longer than DKs DACUS.

DACUS is dash attack canceled upsmash... Wich most of you already know about... Snake being the longest and easiest blabla..

BTW DK can DACUS right? I thought it wasn't noticable, but maybe im doing it wrong.

BeanBurrito

Smash Cadet
My pool consisted of a D3, arguably the second best falco in America, another good falco, and a yoshi.

Chain grabs for days. I won the first match against the yoshi, but then just fell apart.

Jebu-95

Smash Journeyman
Don't mindlessly airdodge into the Metaknight. Seriously, I wouldn't be surprised if about half of your button commands where L/R or whatever button you use for airdodging.
1:52 - Despite having a huge lead Heru approaches you. Instead of somehow looking for ways to attempt a comeback you jump offstage and simply airdodge back inside. Airdodging behind someone can sometimes be a nice lil' mixup, but after doing it more than twice, a player of Heru's caliber WILL be able to see it coming and punish accordingly.
I wish I would've given you some tips against MK before the set :/

You have to mixup your recovery against MK. Shuttleloop destroys predictable attemps at recovering. While DK has a pretty limited recovery, you could try stalling for time with Side-B while being offstage (while being at a safe distance from him). Just don't get too predictable with it. Side-B can also be used to reverse yourself to that you can guard yourself with Bair while coming back. You succesfully reversed yourself at 2:52 but he was already prepared for your low recovery.

Another thing I would suggest for you to try is hitting through tornado with something like ff-Nair or ff-Uair after being popped up. Sometimes tornado throws you a bit up while still being used and this gives you little time to try to break it. Don't just airdodge back inside :p At 2:30 you attempted to mixup by falling in his direction and dairing (even though his pivot grab countered it).
There is a lot more to be said but these are just the first things that came into my mind.

probably most importantly....
Try rewinding the parts where you get killed and look at what happened before the actual KO. Try getting an idea of what led into the situation where your options were so limited that your opponent only needed an easy read to finish you off. Instead of just thinking "ohh I was offstage and he shuttlelooped me" try looking at your movements and his movements. See the "bigger picture".

I know that you can do better than that and I have already noticed that you have a lot of potential. I hope you don't get too discouraged by that difficult MU. Don't forget to ask SK for advice. I heard that the 2 of you play every now and then offline. Everyone has to start somewhere.

And just for the sake of it, I'll also post my own humiliating defeat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUvLa0I669g

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
the world would be much better withouth MK but then we would have nothng to complain about...
nah we can just complain about our own character like legitimately why does DK have such bad animations and then freaking guys like Falco have godlike animations that don't even make sense.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Jebu, against Zss, you need to apply more pressure against her. Dk's F-Tilt will clash/ cancel her Neutral B and Side B, it's really quite effective vs her. Don't be afraid of the suit pieces either, Dk can set up walls with them too, or just get her away from them and get rid of them.

And you have to absolutely make sure to save your jump when you're off stage, in case you do get hit by the Dsmash, the foot stool won't kill you because you still have your jump. And, to avoid the dsmash gimp, understand that she can do it, then either stall, or recover low enough where you go under her Dsmash.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_YGDtAsyiQ

Will does it here, and.. use this as a guide to play against Zss.
Sort of.. hope this helps.

Neon!

Smash Lord
I haven't been able to search anything on smashboards for the past month, I'm assuming thats from the server switch that occurred? I was wondering if any else was having this problem.

waldorf2007

Smash Ace
NNID
Waldorf2007
it's possible in fox and falco if you force an upwards up B recovery, or a recovery where they don't get to choose direction. I found with one of my friends who played fox that I had to side b. whenever I fell with bair, the easy option for fox and falco going up, he teched it 9/10 times. I couldn't falling dair because if I timed it wrong at all there was no chance of recovery, so falling and side b-ing was the easy choice.
side b can go through many recoveries but it's usually not reliable to time. it can go through falco's side b but you have to time it perfectly.
I've gone though wario's side b and up b, and samus's up b. it can go through a lot but it's really a gimmicky spike option, possibly to scare and force an up b or something. most people aren't afraid of it though.

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
I'm fairly consistent in getting it vs Falco. There's this specific situation that I can't really describe atm that always seems to work. It's like when edgeguarding, if you catch them with something like b-air, double jump b-air and force them to side-b, you can just side-b them out of theirs for the kill.

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
Ooooooooooooook!

Sorry about that. I'm here but I don't like to give critiques.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Is SideB effective in any other MU's except DK and Snake? As a spike, that is.
I should have replied to this back then, it works well against..

Falcon, any tether characters (Run off ff side b toward stage), Bowser, Lucario, probably more.

It works on Marth, but.. super situational and you could get stage spiked if you mess us/ miss the tech.

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
I was almost on stream a couple times at Outrage. They almost had me vs Ally, but they changed my pool. Me vs Zero almost went on stream and that would've been fun to watch. Didn't last long though.

elrelster

Smash Cadet
Haha, I came in second place in a tournament last friday (Berkeley BiAnnual Smash, although I don't think it has a link here). Unfortunately, I don't have any recordings from it, but I had the pleasure of beating Marth in the losers finals. Alas, in the grand finals, I went up against a Snake on another level. I beat him in one of the games, but I lost in the end.

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
Neat.

I've been thinking a lot about the Snake match-up. I was of the opinion that we should go in early to prevent him to set-up and I still agree with that (yo down-b). But I've been thinking it's really important to realize when to just go back and walk away. So long as you can avoid grenades, you can stay away from him and charge giant punch pretty effectively. If he wants to approach that's fine because he has to walk away from his set-up. So basically I'm thinking we can do a lot just by threatening and abusing giant punch if he tries to make really strong walls. Maybe this is obvious but it's something I had forgotten to really apply.

Desu~

Smash Ace
NNID
Mr. G-E
Switch FC
2211-2137-8924
Neat.

I've been thinking a lot about the Snake match-up. I was of the opinion that we should go in early to prevent him to set-up and I still agree with that (yo down-b). But I've been thinking it's really important to realize when to just go back and walk away. So long as you can avoid grenades, you can stay away from him and charge giant punch pretty effectively. If he wants to approach that's fine because he has to walk away from his set-up. So basically I'm thinking we can do a lot just by threatening and abusing giant punch if he tries to make really strong walls. Maybe this is obvious but it's something I had forgotten to really apply.
Yo, i've been thinking.
I'm trying to get to that video were DK wrecks Snake in a tournament.
What was it from anyways?

elrelster

Smash Cadet
I'm all for rushing a Snake to throw him off his guard. I feel like Snake needs a little breathing room to set himself up. If we keep him close, then he won't the option to pull out grenades, mines, c4, and whatever other magic he has in his pants. However, given my inexperience against the snake matchup, I'm wondering what you guys usually do to get off the ledge when Snake is guarding it hard? (As in, he be doing the up-smash and neutral-A for many hits right on the edge. I get around it with a shorthopped airdodge, but it gets predictable).

Jebu-95

Smash Journeyman
Being at the ledge against a Snake player who knows what they're doing is a really tough situation. If you're above 100% and you manage to get to the stage unharmed, you should deserve to win the match.

Pheta Ray

Smash Ace
Hey guys, how do you do the walk-off Cargo throw to stage spike? DK is my secondary and I'd like to know how to perform the stage spike. Could you tell me the string of controls for it? It works better for me when I see it that way.

(Example of a string: grab>dthrow>downSpecial)

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Grab -> F-Throw(Cargo Hold) -> Walk off stage -> Cargo F/B - Throw into stage.
They've now been stage spiked.

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer

Who all is excited for the new DK in the new smash? He looks beautiful although he looks mostly the same as of now. His up-b looks changed for the better. I think it might be shorter on the ground and maybe start up like it did in melee, and then it hits higher than before. But his aerial up-b looks like brawl which is awesome!

Donkeykong98123

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Donkeykong98123
LOL I'm really late on this but I figured I should do it anyways
  • Real Name? Calib Byers
  • How Did You Come Up With Your Gamer Tag? Favorite video game character is DK. Born in 98. Added 123 to it.
  • Your Age. 15.
  • Where You're From. Oak Harbor, Washington
  • A Picture Of Yourself. No :DD
  • Favorite Video Games. Every DK game that's been produced. All the smash bros games. SAB2. Sonic adventure DX Directors Cut. Blue Dragon. Super Mario Bros 3. Mortal Kombat. Space Invaders. There's more but. I could go on for awhile.
  • Why Do You Main Your Character in Brawl? Do you attend Tournaments? I've been maining DK since the first SSB. Well, ever since I GOT the first SSB. Around idk, when I was 7-8 years old. Mained him through SSB. SSBM. And now SSBB, soon to be SSB4. And I would try, but there's not really a lot of tournaments in my area. There was a tournament in May though. I placed 1st.
  • Interesting Things About Yourself. I'm a percussionist. Uhh..well. Not too much to put in this category.

Top Bottom