• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Big secret muscles

DKwill

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3497-1934-6087
Will could have saved those matches since they played on my Wii but noooooo :awesome:

:phone:
I'm almost positive I saved the first two games of me vs Nairo, Raptor =x Please check to make sure!! And please upload whatever matches of me vs MK were played out on your Wii =)

The only game that definitely wasn't saved was game 3, since I raged and threw my controller in disappointment (first time ever).

Also, the entirety of my set vs Orion was also saved. Correct me if I'm wrong.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Willllllll.

MM me at Apex (I see no reason why you WOULDN'T be there).

You can have fat penguin, fat plumber, or 2 Dimensional Glass Cannon.

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
tech if you want I can train you in getting your *** whooped by DK before you step up to Will :cool:.

also good matches Will. hated the matches where you were clearly frustrated, when you're frustrated you keep on doing the same landing options and trying to force aerials and stuff and it never works :x. but the other matches, especially you pulling it together vs keitaro was fantastic.

DKwill

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3497-1934-6087
tech if you want I can train you in getting your *** whooped by DK before you step up to Will :cool:.

also good matches Will. hated the matches where you were clearly frustrated, when you're frustrated you keep on doing the same landing options and trying to force aerials and stuff and it never works :x. but the other matches, especially you pulling it together vs keitaro was fantastic.
If you meant in doubles, than yeahhhhh sometimes there is just nothing DK can do haha. I probably should have switched to Marth so I could have at least felt like something other than a pinball from 0-100% damage =P

I get pretty upset in doubles xD

And thanks =) Taking out Falco is an inconsistent task for me.

Neon!

Smash Lord
Dk can be very frustrating and very rewarding in doubles. My favorite part about doubles is wrecking DDD, the only time in the game we actually can haha.

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
I've been losing to marths recently and it's kinda dumb. Tips? In exchange, I guess I'll say that I haven't lost to a Falco in an incredibly long time, I just play extra gay and it works really well.

Attila the Hun

Smash Ace
NNID
Aedrenaline
3DS FC
2208-4906-7922
I've been losing to marths recently and it's kinda dumb. Tips? In exchange, I guess I'll say that I haven't lost to a Falco in an incredibly long time, I just play extra gay and it works really well.
Ftilt the maw****ah. Stuffs his aerial approach. Nair can gimp offstage if you want something janky. You can do Punch after shielded DB3, pree sure. Uair gives his dair a hard time. Don't shieldgrab too much, cuz DK sucks... Ummmm, s'all I got. xD

Rizen

Smash Legend
Hello :) . I have a general question about DK and the Q&A thread was inactive.
Why is DK so low? It seems like he should be about lower Borderline tier. I'm guessing he's big and gets owned by CGs and annoying stuff but he has good traits too. I know DDD murders him.

Also, will giant Punch cause freefalling and what makes DK lose his punch charge? Like when getting hit? Sometimes I use random or DK and that happens.

Thanks.

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
Giant punch does cause freefalling. DK will lose his punch charge if he uses giant punch and is interrupted before he punches, or if he's hit while he's charging it up.

I couldn't really tell you why DK is so low. My theory is that a bunch of people want to move their characters higher on the tier list, and because DK has no real representation in the BBR or in any discussions, it's easy for them to say "We're better than DK" because there's nobody to argue against it.

Also those Marth tips aren't particularly helpful. F-tilt is definitely good but I'm way more concerned with a dealing with a grounded Marth. Not shieldgrabbing is good advice I think. Like how do I go about getting him off the ground.

Neon!

Smash Lord
Giant punch does cause freefalling. DK will lose his punch charge if he uses giant punch and is interrupted before he punches, or if he's hit while he's charging it up.

I couldn't really tell you why DK is so low. My theory is that a bunch of people want to move their characters higher on the tier list, and because DK has no real representation in the BBR or in any discussions, it's easy for them to say "We're better than DK" because there's nobody to argue against it.

Also those Marth tips aren't particularly helpful. F-tilt is definitely good but I'm way more concerned with a dealing with a grounded Marth. Not shieldgrabbing is good advice I think. Like how do I go about getting him off the ground.
DK is easy to use at the mid-low level of competitive play, at the top level of play DK requires much better execution to do well. DK lacks the options that other characters have at the highest level of play but he hits much harder and last longer than almost any other character.

Another reason dk is so low is his lack of representation outside of Will, most players consider Will an outlier and that is reflected in the tier list and matchup chart. If players like Cable and Bum had continued developing DK in their own way, I'm sure we'd see DK much higher.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Ah, the lack of representation :( . It can throw rankings way off.

Thanks that was good info. Good luck DK mains :) Peace.

Attila the Hun

Smash Ace
NNID
Aedrenaline
3DS FC
2208-4906-7922

Good ol' dtilt -> downB? Pivot grabs can work, too. Or approach with uair? I've gotten that to work before. I find ftilt works against a grounded Marth as well, it clanks with fsmash and dsmash, I think. If you get a grab, you can even try cargo uthrow or just plain upthrow. Marth's dair sucks balls, so getting uair airdodge reads isn't too bad. Or good ol' empty shorthop charge dsmash/whatever.

You should upload some matches, Stewiestew. We'll then at least see what you're trying to do in place of our recommendations.

Also most DK's on here actually place pretty respectably around their respective regions. S2 and I were chatting about that. S2 recently got 3rd at a local and 17th at a Retribution, I got 2nd here in N.S. (lolNS, amirite?). D3's really the huge reason why we're low. There are the Falco's and such, too, but we seem to do well against them, too. Then again, Will's also the only DK who really gets to play against the top calibur of each character, it seems.

Iunno, I don't really care where we are on the tier list as long as we stick together and do well. <3

Luigi player

Smash Master
Use grounded up-b when you know when marth is going to land with fair, if he shields it he's guarnanteed an up-b but it really messes with his spacing sometimes. Also try using the grounded up-b reversal http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy8C3ECuBoU&feature=g-upl
Why did I never see this?! Might be useful sometimes, but since it takes a few frames more to execute it's easier to get hit even before the SA starts... I need to play around with that though.

Attila the Hun

Smash Ace
NNID
Aedrenaline
3DS FC
2208-4906-7922
Why did I never see this?! Might be useful sometimes, but since it takes a few frames more to execute it's easier to get hit even before the SA starts... I need to play around with that though.
Marth's fair starts off from the top of the arc, so it's not all that difficult to time. You'll get used to it quick. :)

Scratch that, I'm dumb. :x

Neon!

Smash Lord
We need to have an active matchup discussion thread to revive this place.

Sold2, I'd willingly take over the current thread to help renew interest in DK or create a completely new thread.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Use grounded up-b when you know when marth is going to land with fair, if he shields it he's guarnanteed an up-b but it really messes with his spacing sometimes. Also try using the grounded up-b reversal http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy8C3ECuBoU&feature=g-upl
I don't understand. What's the difference between using this over a regular grounded upB? Is the hitbox bigger from behind or something?
Does it allow better movement control?

Luigi player

Smash Master
Dk cant move backwards during his upb, so it can be used to go back in the direction you came from..
And moving through marth isnt a good idea since he can just upb.
Although not sure how much it'll help.

:phone:

Attila the Hun

Smash Ace
NNID
Aedrenaline
3DS FC
2208-4906-7922
Also people might try SDI-ing behind you when you do upB, so you can just retreat and reset.
Does that sound like a thing, 'cuz iunno if it actually is. xD

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Sold, against a grounded Marth, all you need to do is space a rar+retreating Bair. (Full hop or Short hop ).
As well you can Space F-Tilt aimed up/ side to clash or outspace him. D-Tilt will provide nice shield pressure if you're not right next to him. And Down B when spaced right.. is amazing. Another way, since the Marth you speak of, stays grounded. Sh Uair Approach can be pretty surpsing to them becuase of the vertical range it has. Dk ***** Marth on every stage except FD, So keep that in mind.

I'm not too sure on the third hit of Dancing Blade transitioning to the fourth hit.
But on the fourth hit, we can Fsmash Oos.

Also! Use my favourite approach bait.

Sh Backward toward them ( Fake Bair ) but instead of Bair.. Side B! When you bait the shield grab, Hilarity will ensue. Or you might break their shield.

If it fails, expect to be punished with a grab or something.

Also! At low damages, Dk can D-Throw -> F-Tilt aimed up on Marth. From 0 - 20% or so.
It does 19% normally.

D0N

Smash Ace
well spaced reverse u-tilt works very well against marth. better than up angled f-tilt imo since its similar range and is eiasier to follow up. at least it did when I played... work those in more.

Neon!

Smash Lord
I've been working on a new design for the DK matchup thread and decided to go with barrels. I think this design is much easier to read and more effective.

[COLLAPSE=""]
[/COLLAPSE]

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
I'm really loving those barrels.

Neon!

Smash Lord
The barrel design is finished, I'll start a new thread for match ups when I get back from Indiana on Saturday. Happy thanksgiving everyone!

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
Hope everybody had a good Thanksgiving. I'm back. $50 for a new laptop charger, geez.

Attila the Hun

Smash Ace
NNID
Aedrenaline
3DS FC
2208-4906-7922
ill have to master that combo...

98%
I was just super glad he wafted. xD

Like, I was just gonna punch out of it, but waft into punch was so much better. xD

So things have changed, and if something works out with my clinical placement for second semester, I'll be able to carpool with the rest of New Scotland over to Apex.

Who all said they were going again?

C'mon guyyyssssssss. :( Me, Cable, Will, Luigi_player, Ripple?

Top Bottom