• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Big Breakthrough for Wolf vs DDD Match up???

castorpollux

Smash Champion
I should probably just make a brawl discussion thread for questions

Yeah, I asked my crew about the best players in Japan and they mentioned him. He plays Snake and Link (I think they said some link). They ranked Souther as third best in Japan. He's in the Kansai (Kyoto) area. More below

Oh, believe me, they still take advantage of it. They just curse Sakurai or look at you, laugh and say "party game!" in a matter-of-fact voice.

the best players: in order
Rain- Falco player from tokyo
Masashi- Pit player from Kansai
Souther- Snake from Kansai
They told me others, but they weren't really sure about the order of them. They said Bombsoldier has slipped a lot though.

Aniki, the guy that used Link in the infamous melee vids, uses wario now. They nick named him waniki (wario +aniki = waniki). I haven't seen any crazy good warios in my area, but there's still plenty of people to meet.

Japanese smash is just like how we play it here. The difference is that they're humble about it and don't play for money. But anything you've heard about camping (including the ledge camping rule) is BS. Look at the vid I took of my Snake vs Calamity. I was ahead more than a full stock and he still ran to the other side of FD, grabbed the edge, and began to egg camp. They ledge camp too, they're defensive when they need to be. They're just like us.

They know a lot more grab releases than we do. I asked Gonta if there were any new techniques discovered lately. I said "The Japanese pretty much discovered snake dashing/ dlx bs cancel etc, but have there been any new discoveries as of late?". Gonta replied "well, I'm not really sure of what America has discovered lately, but what's really popular now is grab releasing and crazy combos we've been working on" he went in to details about a crazy combo wolf could do to Dedede for example. I couldn't really explain it, but I can try to get some videos. They have some trendy stuff they do and they are really technical about things.

Keep questions coming. I might make a thread outside the MK boards though.
This gives me hope =D. I hope the japanese don't let us down

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Sounds cool, but do you think it could just be the same combo that forces you to SD to get the KO?

castorpollux

Smash Champion
Sounds cool, but do you think it could just be the same combo that forces you to SD to get the KO?
lol! i actually thought of that. I was thinking to myself that they better not just be copying that off me since it isn't practical at all.

Semifer

Smash Journeyman
Wow, I'm very excited right now, I can hardly wait for that combo, I hope it's not something random as mentioned.
But if it's something reallly good similar to the Gonzo Combo it could really chance the MU and could make Wolf - DDD winnable, that would be awesome.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Gonzo combo is basically kirby ****** people with fthrow to fair to fthrow to some **** attack, or something along those lines.

We need to find out what these japanese players are talking about. Now.

:059:

mith132

Smash Apprentice
this seriously better not be a let down...my hopes are soooo high right now

castorpollux

Smash Champion
I'm soo pumped up. I mean, they did discover boostsmashing for wolf and that has helped his game tremendously

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
My dream: To master Wolf to the point where I never need to use any other character competitively.

That is, I win tournaments, first place, consistently with Wolf and no other character aid. Right now I'm making up at least half the roster as I believe the game is just as much as knowing your character as it is knowing the opponent. Therefore my game will improve by learning other characters in more ways than one. I won't get into details.

Anyways, that also means making Wolf's "unwinnable" matches winnable... and not just winnable, but easily winnable. Same with his difficult ones. I'm really interested... I have an idea of some things it could be... I think Sunday I'm going to go into some extensive research on Dedede and potential combos against him.

Dv8tor

Smash Journeyman
That's Castorpollux who made that video and that is a Snake combo, not a Dedede combo. We would already have known it if it were anything like that.

castorpollux

Smash Champion
That's Castorpollux who made that video and that is a Snake combo, not a Dedede combo. We would already have known it if it were anything like that.
that "combo" works on DDD too. BUt its nots practical

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
I'm already more comfortable in the Pika vs DDD matchup than I am in the Wolf vs DDD matchup xD

But yeah, this'd be awesome. So it's like, gay chaingrab vs Gay grab release combos? Or whatever sort of combo the Japanese have found...

Zen127

Smash Apprentice
I say we all look for this grab release combo Wolf may have on DDD. Try a grab release on ALL percents to see any different animation, including the jump release and see how much stun DDD takes. COME ON PEOPLE

Dv8tor

Smash Journeyman
I wonder if it is a grab release at all? They said a combo, they never said it was specifically a grab release one.

JCav

Smash Lord
I can try that.

I'll create a thread if I find anything that MIGHT be useful
ground grab release with wolf when you arent pummeling, on many (maybe all characters) they can shield on the same frame as you

just tested.

its a good option

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
I wonder if it is a grab release at all? They said a combo, they never said it was specifically a grab release one.
Unfortunately, this combo, while a combo, was not described as, "an easy to pull off combo that can be done at all percents." I highly doubt this will change the match-up that much (unless it's something that can be pulled off in several different ways or several different percents). We also don't know much about this other than what ONE post said.

Can anyone describe to be air release? I've seen it, the character is released upwards into the air, but that's all I know. How do you initiate it? Any information about it?

mofo_

Smash Ace
Unfortunately, this combo, while a combo, was not described as, "an easy to pull off combo that can be done at all percents." I highly doubt this will change the match-up that much (unless it's something that can be pulled off in several different ways or several different percents). We also don't know much about this other than what ONE post said.

Can anyone describe to be air release? I've seen it, the character is released upwards into the air, but that's all I know. How do you initiate it? Any information about it?
you air release if the opponents feet arent touching the ground when you grab them.

tedeth

Smash Master
ground grab release with wolf when you arent pummeling, on many (maybe all characters) they can shield on the same frame as you

just tested.

its a good option
Most characters have the same release frames after being grabbed, but certain characters like squirtle/ness/lucas have more. This creates the potential for Wolf, among other characters, to have an infinite release grab against a wall, similar to marths standing release grab on said characters.

Also, it IS actually infinite due to inch DI doing nothing against a wall :)

Top Bottom