• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bidoof Academy - Pokémon Trainer Q+A Thread

Myollnir

Smash Ace
Hey guys just a couple of random questions-

How good is running usmash for Ivy and Zard? The reason I ask is because I'm considering switching to A-sticking and can't pull off running usmashes with upA consistely on the fly. I suspect that I woluldn't be able to hit better players with Ivy's.

Also, how good are there utilts? I've never really used them before but with A-sticking I'd use them a lot more.

Does Ivy's jab have any uses?

Thanks in advance.
1. Charizard's hyphen smash is extremely good. His U-Smash comes out on Frame 6 (which is awesome), has transcendant priority (so it beats MK's tornado), does good damage and is a pretty good killmove.

If you use it out of a dash, you can punish jumps, stuff aerial approaches, and punish landings to score a KO.

Oh and obviously, you need it after a sweetspotted RS.

Ivysaur's hyphen smash is less useful. You'll use it after predicting a spotdodge, a roll, or an airdodge into the ground.

It also deals a lot of damage so it has a good priority that allows you to beat any non-transcendant move that deals 8% less (according to our guide, it deals 17%, so it'll beat any move that deals 9% or less (Snake's F-tilt1 anyone? :p ).

It's not something you'll use often, but when you need it, you HAVE to be able to use it without having to think of how you're going to do it.

2. Squirtle's U-tilt is awesome to juggle, especially on BF since it hits from below the platform. It's a truly amazing combo starter.

However, because of its non-existent horizontal range, if the opponent spaces correctly, unless you get a read, you won't be able to land it often.

Ivysaur's U-tilt is... okay, I guess. It has good vertical range, but it's not disjointed so Ivysaur can be hit easily since he'll be in the air and not on the ground anymore.

Fortunately, because of this, you can dodge a few moves (I'm currently making a list of what it can dodge). It hits from below SV's platform, so keep that in mind.

I'm trying to use it more in my playstyle, because it's fairly fast so it can help you to juggle.

I don't find myself using Charizard's U-tilt very often... It's a pretty good disjointed killmove (during the attack, Charizard's wings don't belong to his hurtbox anymore), with an awesome vertical range(it hits from below SV's platform), a decent combo starter at low % (with the sourspot, follow-up with another one, or an U-smash) but he suffers from the same problem than the other 2 Pokémons, the terrible horizontal range...

Additionally, while the other 2 don't have a fast U-smash that can be used reliably to hit from below, Zard already has a good move to hit from below with his U-smash, so you have to decide which one is better (most of the time, it's going to be the U-smash).

I guess you have to use them in tandem.

3. Yep! It's transcendant, which means that it'll beat the nado!

It's also a good move when you use it at the edge of the stage against a character that isn't very mobile in the air, to punish landings (such as against Snake). Whether he shield or not, it'll force him to grab the ledge, where you can start to pressure him.

Also, you can keep pressing A to refresh your other moves on things you can hit such as on Castle Siege's statues, or on Brinstar...

It's also worth noting that you can use slopes to hit the opponents that are at their SH height, or a SH + Nado.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Charizard's U-Smash doesn't have transcendent priority.

Also, being capable of beating Mach Tornado doesn't make Ivysaur Jab practical against it. >_>

Myollnir

Smash Ace
It definitely has. (I double checked in game.)

You're right about the jab, but it's still fun when you interrupt a nado with it, the opponent will usually do a second nado (because they can't react fast enough to stop mashing B) so you can continue the jab.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
MK loses to himself, that's how bad he is.

Also, you guys do know we can grab MK while he's in his tornado?

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Squirtle? Ivy? Zard? Dash? Standing? Pivot? Shield or not?

:p
The video I saw about a year ago included a lot of characters including squirtle. I'm pretty sure all three can do it. I'm going to try and find the vid, which NEEDS to be archived.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
I can't seem to find it, the video may have been deleted. Though I know I've posted it once before. So when I get time, I'm going to do some digging and see if I can't retrieve it.

Long story short, there's a gap in the tornado's frame which allows someone to grab MK. You have to sit behind your shield and know the timing though. It's pretty cool. And before someone decides to be captain obvious, it does sound pretty situational. Though it's pretty useful. All I remember fro mthe video is Squirtle and Diddy Kong with a collection of other characters being able to pull this off, I even dare to say I think Ganon was too, I could be wrong, it's been at least a a year since I saw this vid.

Youngster Joey

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4871-5018-1679
so you guys sdi every hit.. i only sdi when im getting combo'ed. i guess this means im super noob haha. how often does a bluff aerial to grab work? like it seems the second i land they grab instead

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Hey Reflex, could you please link me to some good videos of your Ivysaur?

Thanks in advance.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Oooo Yoshi is a BAD MU for PT :(. Space carefully and be cautious when approaching. Yoshis like to bait approaches and pivot grab. I don't have any other great advice besides be smart and play it safe.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I've played PT since Brawl came out, but I never got competitive with him. So this may be noobish.

Which Pokemon is the best at edgeguarding and which is the best at punishing?

Also, I'm having some Zelda trouble.

Rizen

Smash Legend
It depends on who you're fighting.
I like Charizard to edgeguard because she has a Dair spike and flamethrower.

Ivysaur has the most powerful Usmash in the game and a very strong Uair so if you correctly read dodges or lag Ivy can punish KO at very low %s.
Squirtle and Char have grab release tricks on a few characters like Ness that have high payoff. Someone else will have to expand on that. Char's rock smash is good at outlasting dodges for massive damage.

Zelda's laggy and has trouble approaching. She has a lot of obvious openings in her game but the best way to learn how to beat her is through experience. If you play wifi I can help teach the Zelda MU; she's another of my characters.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I'm having Yoshi trouble.

Can I please have help?
Yeah--Pick a different character. PT can't really do much of anything against pivot grabbing and intelligent egg camping, so you're gonna be fatigued all the time.

Which Pokemon is the best at edgeguarding and which is the best at punishing?
Depends on the opponent, really. Squirtle's jumps allow him to go further out to hit people, Ivysaur has multiple spikes, and Charizard covers a lot of space. For punishing, Squirtle has a lot of great strings at low percents and Charizard has really powerful single-hit moves and a great run speed to catch people.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
@Rizen Thanks for the offer. I'd love to play you, but I don't have wifi right now. If I do get wifi, I would love to though.

Thanks for the tips guys! I'll have to go practice.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Forgive the multiple posts, but no one has used this thread in a while.
Which stages are best for Pokemon Trainer?

Karnu

yaylatios.gif
NNID
Karnuu
3DS FC
3952-7040-9841
I'm not American good but I'm Australian good so I hope my opinion can help.

For Neutrals Smashville would be the best stage to start on since it gives a huge benefit to PT since it is a pretty balanced stage and you can proform the Zero Switch on the moving platform. Smashville is hardly banned but in the rare case it is I'd go PS1 (As long its a netrual in youe scene, you can also Zero switch on the windmill), or another neutral that benefits you a more then your opponent.

For counterpicks, I guess Smashville or PS1 would be great. I have also seen people counterpick both Frigate and Rainbow cruise (You can zero switch on a lot of platforms on Rainbow cruse) as well.

Hope this helps!

Rizen

Smash Legend
Frigate and Rainbow cruise (You can zero switch on a lot of platforms on Rainbow cruse) as well.
My problem with these is Ivy gets gimped so badly. :(

I'm not super experienced so correct if I'm wrong. It seems like large stages with shifting phases are good, Ps1, Delfino...

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So... You guys got any tips against Lucas?

This Lucas is particularly fond of edge guarding with PK Thunder.

Rizen

Smash Legend
So... You guys got any tips against Lucas?

This Lucas is particularly fond of edge guarding with PK Thunder.
Char and Squirt have grab release tricks on him but I can't recall the specifics. It's not completely like the GR on Ness. I'll let someone else fill you in.

Water gun is great to gimp him. edge hog his tether, which has no attack and water gun his recovery. Lucas can magnet flame thrower so be very careful with that but not water or razor leaf.
Lucas is great at punishing dodges or lag with his Dsmash and Usmash (which hits surprisingly far to the sides and down) so space away from him instead. Lucas likes to chain attacks like Dair>Dtilt>Dtilt>Fsmash; DIing out is very important to avoid setups. His recovery is actually good and PKThunder 2 (after he hits himself) will continue through you or your shield (unlike Ness') so be ready to punish behind you. DI PKT and PKT2 if you're hit. PKFrost will not have attack if Lucas is hit before he detonates it.

Space well, have good DI/SDI and try to land grabs.

vegeta18

Smash Journeyman
what are different Pokemon switching strategies? I know the main ones but im wondering if there are better or more options than i already know to safely switch Pokemon.

I know after winning a stock, zero switch/baton pass, down throw with squirtle, back throw with ivy, and i usually go down throw with charizard.

Another thing is ive seen a few videos of reflex playing on smashville, and it seems as soon as reflex gets to the edge of the moving platform the opponent just waits until reflex switches pokemon, almost as if they are scared to attack him on that part of the moving platform. Why is this? Sometimes i have a hard time doing the switch because the opponent attacks me as soon as i get on the platform. Does pokemon trainer have some sort of advantage in this position?

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Me personally, what I like to try and do is switch out 3 times in one stock to take advantage of momentum change. However that's not always the case when I lose focus and become too focused on the match I forget what I'm doing.

There will be times when you won't be able to switch like you want. You have to keep in mind which pokemon you are playing as and which pokemon is next. Sometimes you can afford a sacrificial switch, i.e Squirtle is about to get KO'd, Ivysaur isn't the best option in the MU but Charizard is, therefore, switch to Ivy, and let your opponent get the free stock and have a fresh charizard. Other times, you will really want to switch because your pokemon is in KO % and is completely exhausted by the next pokemon that comes out is better at the MU, so you just wait until you lose a stock with the current pokemon before you move onto the next.

vegeta18

Smash Journeyman
ya i was just wondering if there were different methods didnt know about, what about charizard is down throw his best one if your trying to switch to squirtle?

Also anyone know about the second part of my question? I cant find any examples right now, but i remember seeing a few videos where reflex was playing on smashville, and he just sat at the ledge of the moving platform, and it was like the other player was just sitting there and waiting for reflex to switch pokemon, when i try to do this, the opponent often attacks me so its hard to pull off. Anyone know why they did not want to try attacking and just waited for reflex to safely switch?

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Depending on the percent, I'd go with d-throw. but most of the time, I'd prefer to switch after landing any one of his already hard hitting attacks.

vegeta18

Smash Journeyman
during crew battles, do you have to start with the pokemon you played last?

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Just wondering if there are any uses for charizard's glide. I remember years ago seeing Toby(TCranter) glide towards the ledge and stage spike a Marth with a glide attack. Thanks in advance.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Just wondering if there are any uses for charizard's glide. I remember years ago seeing Toby(TCranter) glide towards the ledge and stage spike a Marth with a glide attack. Thanks in advance.
If you have a jump remaining you can use it after gliding without free falling. It can be a great recovery aid. Glide>nosedive>glide attack is a relatively fast way to get down to the stage.

T-block

B2B TST
Depends on where you switch, but normal physics still applies to your pokeball. In other words, the pokeball gets pushed by the spinning stage, possibly to a new location.

Sometimes you end up in the same spot, but sometimes you end up somewhere in the air above the stage. So yes, this can be used as a Baton Pass.

T-block

B2B TST
yeah there's a chance of tripping any time you initiate a dash or pivot during a dash

holding down shield and mashing A doesn't work well for the squirtle grab release on ness because you need to hold forward so that you inch forward enough to grab him on the next cycle. the way i do it is to pummel when you have the grab, stop pummelling as you release (you have 30 frames where you can't move), and then simply time Z so that you hit it in the last 10 frames of those 30, so that you the grab input is buffered. hope that's clear enough x.x

Top Bottom