• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bidoof Academy - Pokémon Trainer Q+A Thread

Youngster Joey

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4871-5018-1679
there should be an mu chart for each character. and i think they should get their own spot on the tier list. but what do i know. im a noob. theres probably a reason they dont have these :/

Bomber7

Smash Hero
We've tried doing stuff with MU countless times only to get bored along the way and let the progress die. If anything, the Choose Your Starter thread is the closest you'll get to an MU discussion, as well as the tactical discussions.

Rizen

Smash Legend
PT's fatigue factor and forced switch play a big role in matches; looking only at 1 pokemon wouldn't accurately show a MU (without the single pokemon hack).

Youngster Joey

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4871-5018-1679
what exactly does fatigue do? i see it does hurt over all gameplay but what is it? like just weaker hits? i think i see weaker hits and less mobility. idk

Youngster Joey

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4871-5018-1679
thank you. i didnt even think to look at this haha i wasnt seriously thinking of maining PT but now he's in my top 3 and i wanna keep him up there!

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
If I had to guess, it'd just be making it so that you can Jump button -> Attack button easily. Either Y -> A or unused trigger button (surely you don't shield with both L and R) -> A

T-block

B2B TST
Yeah, it's easy enough to hydroplane with Tap Jump off. Y+A is probably the easiest way to do it with standard controls. Just add a Y input to your Tap Jump on input right where your control stick would have moved to the up position.

For the forward (instant) hydroplane, the easiest way in my opinion is to dash in one direction, then tap the back-up diagonal while pressing Y+A. That direction gives you the shift while still resulting in an up-smash when A is hit.

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206
Yeah, it's easy enough to hydroplane with Tap Jump off. Y+A is probably the easiest way to do it with standard controls. Just add a Y input to your Tap Jump on input right where your control stick would have moved to the up position.

For the forward (instant) hydroplane, the easiest way in my opinion is to dash in one direction, then tap the back-up diagonal while pressing Y+A. That direction gives you the shift while still resulting in an up-smash when A is hit.

Wow, I actually didn't know that.
I've always done it by tapping back, rotating to the up position, then hitting Y + A.

Consequently, about half of my Forward Hydroplanes would register as shell slings due to improper timing. :006:

Myollnir

Smash Ace
Hey Reflex I've got a question. I remember that you said that setting the C-stick to attack was probably the best option for PT. I'd like to know if you tried it, and if it's good?

I'm pretty sure I'll never give up my SDI and stuff like that, but I'm interesting in knowing why it's the best option overall. I never managed to do the technique you told us (during a pivot) or if I did, it's something I can do without setting the C-stick to attack.

Thanks. :)

Rizen

Smash Legend
I always have 'C' set to attack and tap jump off. It works for me but I never tried other controls and don't know if it's better/worse.

@ Pokemon game players: when Pokemon are in a pokeball are they in stasis? What's the deal?

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206
I don't have a wii to test this atm...

But how much push does Water Gun give in the air?
I've been thinking of a B-Reversed fully charge water gun as a method of recovery.

Myollnir

Smash Ace
A bit, but it leaves you very vulnerable. SideB is a much better option. However, using a fully charged watergun to prevent the opponent from edgeguarding you is good.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Lol, that's awesome!

Any tips for landing bullet seed? I'm not doing it right. Still using and improving my PT http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLVCDsSv-kk&feature=plcp :)
Without watching the video, have you tried using it as a follow up for your nair? You can also use it as a punishing move, you just have to seize the opportunity when it's there. Though people who are good at DI will SDI out of it when you use it. :(

Myollnir

Smash Ace
I just noticed that if we grab MK when he's in the air with Squirtle and Charizard and pummel immediatly, we'll force an air release.

Which means that if a MK air releases (either you grab him out of the air or he just messes up his mashing), we can regrab him with a Skid Canceling Shield Grab (so we don't slide) and pummel immediatly to force him to air release to continue the chaingrab.

Out of an air release, we have F-air with Squirtle and U-Smash with Charizard.

I felt like it would be interesting to post it.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Are you sure that air-release -> F-Air is guaranteed with Squirtle? He moves pretty slowly on the ground.

Also, what about SDI against Charizard's U-Smash? Would he pass straight through, ready to punish?

T-block

B2B TST
I didn't know about Squirtle f-air... and I feel that's something we all would have known about o.o

It's fairly easy for the MK to only be hit by the first hit of u-smash. If he's at high percents though, the first hit should do enough for you not to be punished.

I also didn't know regrab was possible for Squirtle...

Bomber7

Smash Hero
And you learn something new everyday. Just when you think you know everything about your character, something new comes up.

Myollnir

Smash Ace
You have to buffer the dash. Which means, almost immediatly when the MK releases, press forward (hard) then wait a bit and press forward again (you have to press forward a second time when your dash actually comes out so you can continue it). That takes a bit of practice but it's not that hard. I haven't tried the F-air on a real player but seeing what it looks like, I don't know how it couldn't be true.

@SDI stuff : probably. But since you hit with the tip of the hitbox, it could be difficult to do. I honestly don't know.

Youngster Joey

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4871-5018-1679
im kinda new to the buffering vocab. do i just start the attack before the frames allow it? that way the attack starts on the first instant frame? i know that the attack starts asap but do i just do the command before it allows me or is there something else im missing?

T-block

B2B TST
that's pretty much it, yeah.

you have a 10 frame window where buffering can occur. so if you do a move, and then make an input 10 frames or less before you would otherwise be able to act, you'll do the move on the first possible frame.

Myollnir

Smash Ace
Squirtle's F-air (sweetspotted at low % and sourspotted at mid %) + grab + pummel is a good way to force an air release. So is Charizard's Jab1 + Jab2 + grab + pummel (delay the Jab2 a bit) at high % (a safer way to guarantee a kill?).

Edit (may be very important) : With Charizard, air release -> walkoff F-air seems to work with the perfect spacing and timing (it'll only hit once with the sweetspot [it seems to work if you hit twice also]). The training modes says it's true, but it's not reliable, I'll test this asap. If it's guaranteed, enjoy the free kills at 100%. :pt:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
F-Air -> Grab as Squirtle shouldn't ever work. It's too easy for people to SDI at low percents, and if you're getting deep enough to do that in the first place, the opponent clearly doesn't understand how to defend against Squirtle.

Myollnir

Smash Ace
Almost every combo can be avoided with SDI anyway.
I SDI every hit I take and I have a pretty good SDI so I realize it pretty much prevents you from taking any combos except off a grab. It's'pretty broken, but only a few people SDI well and it's'pretty difficult to SDI any hit you take.
In addition, even with SDI, Squirtle can still follow-up...

:phone:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Can Squirt/Char grab MK out of his tornado if it's spaced poorly? They have good grab ranges. Also, will MK be air released if grabbed out of the air because he's small but bigger characters will normally ground release?

yoshi8984

Smash Lord
NNID
TimmyTendo
Switch FC
SW-6176-0583-0131
I always have 'C' set to attack and tap jump off. It works for me but I never tried other controls and don't know if it's better/worse.
I've tried it out before, but the thing is with the C-Stick set to attack it might make you do the jump glitch. :/ I've wasted my double jump a few times by accident because of it. Though at least you can N-air with the C-Stick if its set to attacks. But I don't think it's worth it.

For my controls, I set Y to grab, L to specials and Tap Jump off for all my characters. Setting Y to grabs makes pivot grabbing so much more comfortable and easier to me, and L to specials makes it easier for me to do Up-B OoS since I have Tap Jump off. Not that all my characters have a good Up-B OoS, but it's nice to do it as a mix-up at times. XP

Myollnir

Smash Ace
I believe we have some air release + walkoff + DJ + U-air/F-air on some characters with Squirtle...
Do you know if the combo counter is reliable with air releases? I think not, but I'm not sure.
I wish I had frame advanced... There are many things I want to check (such as Charizard's B-throw + regrab and some air releases).
With Ivysaur, release to B-air also seems to work on MK but I can't check it... And if you just pummel with Ivysaur (no specific timing), it seems to guarantee the air release on some characters that don't naturally air release.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Hey guys just a couple of random questions-

How good is running usmash for Ivy and Zard? The reason I ask is because I'm considering switching to A-sticking and can't pull off running usmashes with upA consistely on the fly. I suspect that I woluldn't be able to hit better players with Ivy's.

Also, how good are there utilts? I've never really used them before but with A-sticking I'd use them a lot more.

Does Ivy's jab have any uses?

Thanks in advance.

Top Bottom