• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bidoof Academy - Pokémon Trainer Q+A Thread

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
can ivysaur camp? I always wondered if he could.
It's more that Ivysaur can't approach than anything else. :p

She tries to keep people at bay with B-Air, D-Tilt, and pivot grabs. It works well against most characters, but she has trouble with characters that can move much faster than her in general.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Anyone have tips on the Falco matchup?
It's simpler than I once thought it was.

As Squirtle, your main focus is to stay just out of his grab range. Shellshifting constantly with Jabs, Hydrograbs, and F-Tilts tends to be all you need, with the occasional rising F-Air. If he ever does his rapid A jab, SDI it and U-Air, F-Air, or B-Air. If he doesn't, just focus on moving away if he continues to jab cancel.

Don't get grabbed and stay on the ground as much as possible when he's near you; he has no good way to deal great damage to you outside of the chaingrab at low percents and B-Air in the air (which his grab sets up for at higher percents). If you have the lead, especially when you have one more stock than he does, take it slow and be very careful. Any KO where you're not at over 135% is the result of your bad mistake. Your average number can go significantly higher; just do not let him B-Air you at high percents under any circumstance (recover low and Water Gun him away if he gets aggressive offstage), and he'll be forced to hard read with a Smash in order to KO you.

When you're Ivysaur, switch. I don't care how you have to do it, but, do it. If you don't think you can knock him away long enough to be safe, get right next to the edge and switch (if there's a platform on the stage, that is highly recommended over the stage's edge). That way, at least any punishment you incur is minimized. Ivysaur can't do anything but -maybe- land a stray Dash Attack or grab.

I had a write-up for Charizard stuff that I put on the Falco boards; let me see if I can find it.

EDIT: "AH, THERE YOU ARE! >:D"

Okay, here you go--

Squirtle does pretty well for himself. Falco has to be very careful in a lot of situations. Jab can stuff Squirtle when he's up close, but Squirtle's F-Tilt outranges it, and Squirtle's Jab is faster. Both moves are faster than Falco's grab, and Squirtle's grab has greater range. When you jab, don't rapid A. Always grab before that point--Otherwise, you'll get SDI'd into an aerial of choice.

When Squirtle grabs Falco, he gets a U-Throw, which usually puts Falco in a terrible position, due to Squirtle's short-hop U-Air being so great at frame traps and a Hydrograb being able to trap the ground he falls on with little risk. A well-timed Squirtle U-Air beats Falco's D-Air, too. Falco must take great care not to be put above Squirtle.

Squirtle can have difficulties getting back on the ground against Falco. Keeping Squirtle off the ground is important for Falco. Falco's Jab is difficult to get around, for fear of his grab stuff. Feel free to camp; it will be easier if Squirtle can't KO you until ~160%. I'd say it's about even.

Ivysaur gets molested. Can't do anything about Falco's camping or his close range game. She is edgeguarded by Falco pretty easily. Falco is light enough to make DI'ing the initial hit of Bullet Seed pretty easy. The only dodge that Falco should be doing is his super-distanced back roll--If you keep coming at Ivysaur with quick attacks, she can't do anything, but spotdodging and airdodging will allow her to get a grab or strong hit here and there. Juggle her with Dash Attack. Spike her into the ground again and again. Watch out for Ivysaur's Dash Attack, though--It's Frame 4, clanks with most moves, and hits fairly hard.

The matchup is really bad for Ivysaur--25-75, probably. Unless Falco is one attack away from a KO (or at least from being far enough away to safely switch), using Ivysaur should be avoided at all costs. Falco players should make the most of this.

Charizard is a mixed bag--He's incredibly easy to juggle and combo, but small mistakes can cost Falco dearly in a lot of situations. If you grab Charizard in the middle of the stage, he should be taking a minimum of 81%.

The standard chaingrab to spike gives Falco one extra D-Throw before the D-Air. If he SDI's onto the stage, his tech roll is very easy to follow (either with a jab -> grab or another D-Air), and if he doesn't, a combination of his two mid-air jumps and Up-B allows him to barely make it onto the stage, where Falco can leave the edge and D-Air him again. Falco N-Air tends to be pretty safe to keep Charizard off, and it even functions decently as an approach.

Now, all of that sounds very bad for Charizard (and it is :( ), but Charizard has some great stuff going for him, as well. Charizard can juggle Falco quite well. U-Air stays out for a while and outranges Falco's D-Air. Charizard's tail flame doesn't have a hurtbox, so his N-Air creates a nasty win-win situation near the ground, as it sweetspots Falco if he tries to attack and sourspots him if he airdodges through it. At low percents, the sourspot combos into a grab, and at higher percents, it creates an awkward fall that must be teched, or Charizard will Jab reset into either full Rock Smash (45% damage and can be followed up until high percents) or a charged F-Smash (WILL KILL YOU).

Even if Falco does tech, it's easy to follow with Charizard's run speed (which rivals Meta Knight's), which gives him another grab to create that situation again. Speaking of run speed, it tends to put Falco players on edge when it comes to using Phantasm, since Charizard will catch up to it pretty quickly. Charizard's well-spaced N-Air beats Phantasm, and the threat of Flamethrower makes recovering a daunting prospect, since going to the ledge could get Falco gimped by an edgehog, and going above can lead to massive damage from Flamethrower (with proper fire movement, SDI'ing can be -really- difficult). Falco must be careful if Charizard grab-releases, as an instant spotdodge ends as soon as Charizard's instant F-Smash starts to hit. Charizard can shield a jab and U-Smash out-of-shield, too. Also, Charizard has enough range to grab you immediately out of grab-release, and Falco can only Jab or attempt to avoid an attack.

Basically, both characters can do really mean things to each other, but Falco's stuff doesn't really have to be set up at all, whereas Charizard has to put himself at risk in order to start most of it. I'd call it around 40-60, Falco's favor. It's tough for Charizard, but by no means unwinnable.

Overall, I'd say the matchup is 60-40, Falco's favor. PT has to work much harder than Falco to win, but it's definitely a matchup that Falco could regret not knowing against a competent PT.

StarGalaxy777

Smash Apprentice
NNID
StarGalaxy
What are some good charcters to use as a secondary when using PT as a main (something other than MK Snake and Marth plz)

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
What are some good charcters to use as a secondary when using PT as a main (something other than MK Snake and Marth plz)
Diddy does rather well against PT's problematic matchups. If you're looking for a character to compliment the matchup spread, he's probably the best.

I started using Fox recently, and I've seen decent success with the bad matchups.

Célja

There's no such thing as a nornal person
NNID
EmperorBeefcake
3DS FC
2406-5854-3581
Does anyone have any info of PT's match-ups against Sonic and Yoshi? (those are my friends mains)

Geenareeno

Smash Lord
I'm no good Pokemon Trainer, but i'll do what I can. For Yoshi I have no ****ing idea just **** him as Squirtle, dash attack as Ivy, and B reverse and turnaround b flamethrower as Charizard. Sonic: As Squirtle you probably just want to empty short hop around a bit and fair if he rushes in. Try to shield grab him if he side B's at an inopportune time. I think Dair would be a good way to punish his recovery. Uncharged water gun might even prove effective if you use it to block him down b or something. For Ivysaur you want to spam Razor Leaves but that won't work very well so just dash attack and if he tries to sheild grab you read it and grab him. Probably just switch as Ivy. Now for Charizard flamethrower is a great tool to stop him in his tracks when he's flying around. All of his B moves can be punsihed/blocked with Rocksmash so just short hop around and use that back and forth. Nair probably beats most of his **** too. As for stages I would ban SV and try to take him to FD. FD is probably a really good stage for Sonic but I feel the matchup would be easier there. Also don't be mad if none of this **** works because i'm not really knowledgable i'm just guessing. I figured I would help you out best I could. If one of the people here who is actually good with pt could tell me if this is a legit write-up that would be cool. When I say legit I mean 10% right and 90% bull****. Yeah...

T-block

B2B TST
lol Geenareeno <3

Squirtle definitely can't just **** Yoshi. A Yoshi playing safely is very difficult for Squirtle to approach. His pivot grab is an amazing response to the way Squirtle has to approach, and Squirtle ends up needing to approach thanks to fatigue and eggs. Getting grabbed gets Squirtle punished pretty hard too. The aerial mobility advantage Squirtle usually enjoys is not present with Yoshi, since Yoshi has incredible air speed, and an amazing n-air. I would like Charizard the most here if eggs weren't so hard to deal with =(

Only tip I can give is to watch for spotdodges when you're playing against Yoshi. His other defensive options (shield, roll) are much worse than other characters, and Yoshi's spotdodges can be more easily predicted.

With Sonic, just stay patient. Sonic thrives on punishing openings, especially when his opponent isn't used to those openings being punished. Squirtle can be very hard for Sonic to hit, so take advantage of that and don't get reckless. Flamethrower is great for stopping Sonic's approaches, but if he's charging a spin dash, you can't get close enough for Flamethrower to hit before he can release the dash and hit you, so be careful with it. All in all, just don't leave yourself open. Fatigue sucks, but Sonic can't kill either, especially if you're not leaving yourself open, so it's not so bad.

blubomber17

Smash Apprentice
Hi there, I haven't posted on Smash Boards in some odd years, and I'm trying to get back into Brawl. Just sent my Wii in to get the sensor fixed. I'd like to consider PT one of my mains/secondaries, and always loved the whole 3-character concept. I'd like to think I can use all three quite well too; after not playing for at least a year and a half due to a defunct Wii, my first win came as PT (after losing with my Wario, whom I consider my primary main); and it was handidly no less!

My question is, what are some general strategies for PT as a whole? How do Squirtle, Ivy and Zard rank amongst each other? (best-worst) Simple good combos? And if all this can be answered in a giant thread/vid, I'm fine with a link as a response, I just found it difficult to find recent relevant info about PT. Unless it doesn't necessarily need to be recent; for example, after reading about the first 5 or so pages, it sounded like Squirtle was the man, Zard was pretty good, but Ivy was garbage and gimped easy because of his recovery; that could have possibly changed two and a half years later I assume haha. Any help is appreciated, I'll be back to respond. Thanks!

Célja

NNID
EmperorBeefcake
3DS FC
2406-5854-3581
Don't even play PT against Yoshi. It's unwinnable.
That explains my lossing streak, thanks anyway.

I have another question though about Charizard, and i'm not sure if I already mentioned this elsewhere but: How good is jab > jab > Dtilt?

Aposl

Smash Ace
I ask because I figured out that Charizard has forced air release on stage if he grabs some characters out of the air, so I want o see if he also can steal jumps from more characters by grabbing and immediately throwing them, which would be cool. But one of those characters is yoshi so yeah!

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
I ask because I figured out that Charizard has forced air release on stage if he grabs some characters out of the air, so I want o see if he also can steal jumps from more characters by grabbing and immediately throwing them, which would be cool. But one of those characters is yoshi so yeah!
speaking of which, zard can cg some characters w/ air releases. one of them is MK (if we can force it)

ivy might be able as well, but gl with that bull****

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Steeler

Don't you have to be frame perfect to air-release CG MK otherwise he can just shuttleloop you.......Either way it's awesome because if you ever powershield MK's shuttle loop you can f-air him directly out of it without him being able to cancel shuttle loop.

Aposl

Smash Ace
air release by MK off charizard's grab is the MK's mistake unfortunately. Cant force an air release on stage with him

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
Alright then...

As a Smash player, I've always considered myself to be absolutely awful at tech. skill. I mean, I know Brawl is usually seen as a non-technical game and is much easier to play than Melee, but believe it or not I still struggle immensely with even the simplest of things in Brawl (here's an example: as useless as it is in Brawl, I wasn't able to move my thumb fast enough to dash dance for a long time; I still get headaches trying to turn-around and do OOS jabs, etc.) I'm just really bad.

As I've been thinking about myself as a player and how to improve recently, I realized that if I was going to go anywhere, I have to stop hiding behind my own perceived sense of inability and force myself to master technical control of my character, because one thing that has been happening to me more and more often is that in my mind I have a clear idea of what I want to do, but can't always translate it to the game. Now, after playing around with Melee recently (and casually), I realized that one of my biggest obstacles is Brawl's buffer: I tend to play on the edge of the buffer at all times, so when I'm off by even a little bit, it's like I spin out and crash into a wall (and usually get taken advantage of for it in-game).

The final issue I have as far as tech. skill goes, and probably the hardest one to work with, is the very sloppy way in which I actually play this game. Smash is something I've been playing ever since the N64 when I was just a little kid, and I can sort of "trace my development" as a player to those days. One of the negative aspects of this is that, technical-skill wise, I still button-mash, I'm still very imprecise with the actual controller (I have actually missed the C-Stick before), and I think that this complicates the issue, especially when taken in conjunction with buffering (I mash too many times and end up buffering something I wasn't expecting, etc.) However, this is basically ingrained into my understanding of Smash and the the thing I am least conscious about, which is why I struggle so much to correct it.

Honestly, most of this is very embarrassing to admit, but my new mentality in approaching the game is to embrace and focus on my own weaknesses, rather than try to improve by focusing on continuing to build my strengths.

With that in mind, I would like to ask a few questions about some of PTs/the more general Brawl ATs. These are things that I've either never really formulated in mind or never really bothered to learn (I HATE practicing tech., so I intended to ignore it before). I'm just going to go down Oak's Laboratory and try things out, and note any questions I have below.

• Wavebounce: I can't understand how to input this for neutral specials... Also, is it worth doing with Ivysaur's Razor Leaf? (I'm well aware of Charizard's applications.)
  • Can someone explain hydrojab to me more clearly than in the guide? Should the sticks be parallel or perpendicular? Should hydrojabbing ever be used over true hydroplane and then jab?
  • How does (does?) hydroplane differ from glidetossing with Squirtle?
  • For true hydroplaning, should Squirtle ultimately be facing in the direction of his slide, or should he be backwards?

Also, any help with mastering buffer or general good tech. skill habits would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Aposl

Smash Ace
as soon as I get my video editing program I will make a tutorial on Squirtles AT's I promise

Geenareeno

Smash Lord
I miss the C-Stick sometimes when I play melee. It's annoying. As far as your troubles go just ingnore buffering for now. Pretend it doesn't exist. Then when you learn to to control you can start doing it, just a suggestion. Wavebounced Razor Leaf is kind of iffy. It might be useful once in a while to mix them up but it overall isn't very good. To wavebounce this is what you do. You are facing right and want to shoot the leaf/rock to the right. Jump to the right, side b to the left and then immediately move the stick to the right. Do it at 1/4th speed in training and what you see is a side-b to the left and then your whole body switches directions, exactly what you are inputting.

T-block

B2B TST
That's a solid mentality, Retro.

Wavebounce: I can't understand how to input this for neutral specials... Also, is it worth doing with Ivysaur's Razor Leaf? (I'm well aware of Charizard's applications.)
Press neutral-b, and then hit the opposite direction that you are facing within three frames. It's important to realize that it reverses your momentum, so you need to be moving horizontally to see a shift. If you're falling straight down, there's no momentum to reverse, and you'll basically continue your trajectory.

So, if you're drifting to the right, hit B and then tap left immediately. You should do the neutral-b while turning around, with a shift in momentum to the left.

With Razor Leaf it's not all that special, since if you're close enough for the shift in positioning to make a difference, you probably shouldn't be using Razor Leaf. And as far as escaping juggles goes, Ivysaur's horizontal mobility is so poor that the shift isn't much, so you're better off varying your fall speed with u-air and d-air instead to deal with juggling.

Can someone explain hydrojab to me more clearly than in the guide? Should the sticks be parallel or perpendicular? Should hydrojabbing ever be used over true hydroplane and then jab?
It can be both... I tend to have my analog stick pointing at a 45 degree angle down, towards my opponent, and then hit my C-stick at a 45 degree angle up, away from my opponent, so that they're at 180 degrees. You could do it down and away so it's 90 degrees, but if you mess up you do a d-tilt, whereas if you mess up the other way you do a u-tilt which is less punishable.

Hydrojab and hydroplane > jab fulfill different purposes. Hydrojab comes out a lot quicker, and if your opponent is midrange it gets you behind them faster. On the other hand, hydroplane > jab gives you more time to react to what they're doing, so you don't have to jab if a better option arises.

How does (does?) hydroplane differ from glidetossing with Squirtle?
It's similar movement. Squirtle actually has two glide toss lengths... the shorter one is really useful and allows him to move like Diddy does with bananas. As far as the long glide toss goes, it can be done faster than a true hydroplane, if that's what you're talking about...

For true hydroplaning, should Squirtle ultimately be facing in the direction of his slide, or should he be backwards?
He should be facing backwards. You're doing a pivot, and then buffering a turnaround. That turnaround allows you to keep momentum from the pivot, but he will be facing backwards when he comes out.

Also, any help with mastering buffer or general good tech. skill habits would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Just keep practising and don't get frustrated. If something just isn't working for you, take the time to figure out what you're doing wrong and how to fix it instead of pounding away at it. Get it 100% in practice before trying to do it in a real match... then once you do, just start looking for opportunities to use it so that you practise doing it in pressure situations, and so that you learn when you should be using it and when you shouldn't.

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
Thanks for the help so far guys. Geenareeno, I think I will be taking your advice about ignoring buffering for now.

T-block: Yeah, all of the stuff I'm doing right now is in Training mode. I've tried just applying new stuff in match before, and that usually results in me trying it twice, not managing to do it, and then forgetting about it trying to win. So I'm really trying to master the fundamentals on my own first, then slapping them on.

So far I've just been messing with the B-reversal Flamethrower, which I've actually managed to do! But now I have a question about something I'm noticing as I'm doing it.

This is more obvious to me if I slow the game down, but is there a part in a short-hop (near the top of the jump) where all inputs get canceled out? Because, especially on 1/4 speed, I've noticed that sometimes I hit B too late, and 'Zard just jumps up and does nothing. It has happened to me on full speed, but it happens more rarely there.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
yea, there is a single pre-jump frame where inputs are ignored

if you buffer the input as quickly as you can, you should usually avoid it

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
Okay, good to know. This also explains why when I try to short-hop Bair with Squirtle I sometimes end up just floating there.

Hey uh... can someone explain to me how to pivot grab? I mean, I know how to do it, but at the same time, I feel like I'm doing it wrong.

I usually use Z + reverse on the C-stick to do it, but especially as Squirtle I usually slide away as I'm grabbing, which is not as useful. What I really want in the instantaneous, no movement pivot grab? Do I just need to input faster? Or is there an input for pivot grab that will get me better results?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Okay, good to know. This also explains why when I try to short-hop Bair with Squirtle I sometimes end up just floating there.

Hey uh... can someone explain to me how to pivot grab? I mean, I know how to do it, but at the same time, I feel like I'm doing it wrong.

I usually use Z + reverse on the C-stick to do it, but especially as Squirtle I usually slide away as I'm grabbing, which is not as useful. What I really want in the instantaneous, no movement pivot grab? Do I just need to input faster? Or is there an input for pivot grab that will get me better results?
For a normal pivot grab, you just press Z and the opposite direction on the analog stick during a dash.

There is an input for an Instant Pivot Grab, but I forget what it is.

Rizen

Smash Legend
You can also run>shield+'C'(set to smash) in the opposite direction to pivot grab. It's a little tricky because if you don't press shield and 'C' together as yo run you'll shield and roll.

Geenareeno

Smash Lord
Yo T-block you described a b-reverse. The whole 'Movement during a special move' topic is really confusing some i'm just going to spit out some information. There's wavebouncing which I explained a page back. Then there are two kinds of B reverses (there might be a different name for them). One where you change direction and one where you don't, I call them hard and soft. If you're Charizard running to the right, then you jump, tap left, wait a couple frames, and press b; you will do a flamethrower in the opposite direction you were traveling but still continue to the right. Or a 'soft b-reverse. If you jump to the right, press b, press left a frame or two after, you will do a 'hard b-reverse'. If anyone would like to correct me or tell me the correct terminology that would be great.

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
Geenareeno, could you explain what the difference between a "soft" and "hard" b-reversal is more clearly? From what you wrote, I am only familiar with wavebounces and "soft" b-reversals.

Geenareeno

Smash Lord
Okay so apparently they are called 'Turnaround-B' and B reversal. Here is the excerpt from the smash lab terms list 2.0.

Neutral Special (Neutral-B, B) [Universal] - The action that occurs from a special input with the control stick in a neutral position. Each Neutral Special has a character-specific name.
Forward Special (Side Special, Side-B) [Universal] - The action that occurs from a special input and a tilt or smash left or right. Each Forward Special has a character-specific name.
Up Special (Up-B) [Universal] - The action that occurs from a special input and a tilt or smash up. Each Up Special has a character-specific name.
Down Special (Down-B) [Universal] - The action that occurs from a special input and a tilt or smash down. Each Down Special has a character-specific name.
Turnaround-B [Universal] - The turnaround of neutral special is done by tapping the opposite direction with the control stick and doing neutral special within 20 frames after the tap. Other special turnarounds are done by pressing in the opposite direction and the special's direction.
B-Reverse (Reversal-B) [Universal] - The turnaround in the air that reverses your momentum. It is performed by pressing in the opposite direction you are facing AFTER you perform the special.

Wavebounce (Recoil-Special) [Universal] - The reversal of momentum that occurs when you combine a Turnaround-B and B-Reverse. You will face the same direction that you did before.

I searched videos for like 15 mins but I couldn't find anything. Ally used to do it all the time coming down from the air with grenades. It's useless as Squirtle, extremely limited as Ivy, and quite good for Zard.

Célja

NNID
EmperorBeefcake
3DS FC
2406-5854-3581
This is an off topic question that involves PT but:

Am I the only Trainer that has a set color scheme depending on which Pokemon I send out first?
For instance: When I send out Ivysaur first, I use the Green costume. For Charizard it's Blue, and Squirtle gets White.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I've got a question.
What are all PT's options after an air release on Wario? Thanks.
Practical--

Squirtle has U-Air (for low percent juggles), F-Air (for pure single-hit damage), and B-Air (for KOs, since people will DI for F-Air). I think a U-Smash doesn't hit high enough before it's too late, and F-Smash doesn't hit high enough, period (though I could be wrong on that).

Ivysaur has U-Air (for KOs and straight-up damage), N-Air (for combo potential at low percents and good damage) and F-Air (if you don't want to take a chance with SDI but don't want to save U-Air). Based on frame data, Up-B might work, though you would probably have to buffer a running one out of the grab-release for it to hit.

Charizard has B-Air (for good damage and horizontal KO potential), U-Tilt (for vertical KO potential) and U-Smash (for damage and vertical KO potential). Based on frame data, an F-Smash could hit if it's high enough, but you'd have to buffer it.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Thank you very much!

So we can't B (Ivy) or BSide (Charizard)? :/
Also, can the vine whip be sweetspoted?
Actually...

Based on the frame data, we might be able to Bullet Seed if we can buffer a jump toward him. Requires testing, for sure.

As far as sweetspotted Vine Whip goes, I'm not sure, and we should test that, as well.

Rock Smash is definitely too slow to land. Also, looking back, we definitely can't D-Air with Charizard. I don't know what I was thinking when I said that.

Top Bottom