• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bidoof Academy - Pokémon Trainer Q+A Thread

Miles.

Smash Champion
yoshi is not a hard matchup.

learn how to gay gimp him on his second jump.

bulletseed is good in the matchup that dino is fat.

YOSHI IS GOOD. get ***** for not knowing the matchup.

learn the matchup and its not too bad.

god help us all if some melee player picks up yoshi and starts dragonic reversing all day.

Miles.

Smash Champion
i played furbs when he came to west coast smash league and i played bwett at genesis.

and there are some yoshis in norcal.

one of my good friends as a really good yoshi,

i also play yoshi and know his moveset pretty well i think he is a good character..

i like picking up anyone with cgs.

T-block

B2B TST
Orion changed his name? o.o

I've never been able to do it either =\ Yoshi's always save their second jump, and between the heavy armour and Yoshi's good aerials, I've never been able to hit him out of it.

Miles.

Smash Champion
Never happen.
its called reading.

I take 1 stock game this way.

did it too furbs.

did it to bwett.

its not that hard. granted i am NOT saying it a garuntee.

but its really do-able.

Dont say NEVER, the wise man avoids all extremes.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
yoshi's aerial mobility isn't actually the best in the game, just his top speed. his initial horizontal speed out of jump and his aerial acceleration mean he still gets out aired by wario and the like.

also rock smash ***** yoshi's second jump armor

Miles.

Smash Champion
Nair raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaapes his double jump to air dodge.

**** that z axis much?

all you have to do is punish his landing lag he ONLY HAS ONE ****ING JUMP.

Furbs

Smash Journeyman
its called reading.

I take 1 stock game this way.

did it too furbs.

did it to bwett.

its not that hard. granted i am NOT saying it a garuntee.

but its really do-able.

Dont say NEVER, the wise man avoids all extremes.
u never did it to me lol it should NEVER happen

how the footstool mechanics work is you won't go into the tumbling animation if you are using an attack or airdodging

50% of the time yoshi's will be using a move to get back to the stage, and the other half will be airdodges. plus i try to recover high, it's like saying gimping snake is easy

on paper yeah but not irl

and yeah charizard can really throw yoshi for a loop he's really fast for his size, either that or typh just made him look too good :p

Miles.

Smash Champion
(you were at a kill percent anyways)i did get a kill on you that way.

i played you right before you played Edreese.

i play yoshi too so i am not hating on him. i think he is a great character.

but seriously its not hard to punish landing lag.

learn to do it.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
No offense, IRL, but I'm calling total BS on that. Yoshi isn't going to get gimped by any of the PT Pokemon. They don't have the mobility or the moves to do it. It WON'T HAPPEN.

There's only a couple of characters I'd give a reasonable shot at gimping Yoshi, and PT is not on that list. I'd say it's POSSIBLE for it to maybe happen once on a fluke, but to say that it's a feasible strategy is absurd. Especially since Furbs came in here and called you out on that.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
i love furbs, i played him at oh snap v4 and is quite legit

and his name reminds me of furbies

i'm guessing he lives in california now so he won't be back at oh snap v5 :(

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
don't you just love his hair? probably the best smasher hair i've ever seen.

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
sorry but you must live in an area where the guys don't have very nice hair

in socal his hair is mid tier at best

not to say it's not good i'm just saying

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
this is true, you don't see good hair in the midwest/southwest very often.

Furbs

Smash Journeyman
lol i had my hair short out there at oh snap, it was black with blue zig zags, i grew it out long now, and straighten it like an emo kid lulz,

ill be going back to texas in a few weeks though but too late to catch a ride to oh snap :'(

and tyrants hair scares me LOL

Miles.

Smash Champion
Pokemonmaster pokemonmaster do you have new vids???

Yes. Youtube.com/dddonttrip

They are lolz.

The marf on is for shaya and toby.for delicious lulz

The falco one has a sexy watergun..that's lulllzz.

There's a funny pt ditto too.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
ughh racking head ache. I'm beginning to see biddoof in my room. x.x

I'll send them all the the academy.

Asa

Smash Hero
I saw a vid where reflex bulletseeded out of falco's chaingrab. Is that guaranteed?

Skadorski

// s o n d e r
NNID
Skadorski
I have a strange question that i'm sure most of you wont believe but please listen.
When Ivysaur respawns on the... floating board after squirtle loses a stock, she does an airdodge out of it.
And I don't press the shield button. My controler is fine but every time Ivysaur spawns I do an air dodge, and not the other pokemon. This is really annoying if I wanna stall to think of a strategy, I do an airdodge and I'm forced to battle.
Is this normal? Is my Wii going nuts?

Tesh

Smash Hero
That is normal. The game buffers something based on what you did when the previous pokemon was KOed. If you were airdodging as you died, the game often buffers an airdodge. Same with jumps and attacks sometimes. I'm not sure if there is anything you can do about it after you have already died.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Ok, I'm new to Pokemon Trainer, so I'm gonna ask the question:

Why should I use Ivysaur's bair? It seems strange to use it.

Also, don't mind me. Like I said. I'm new to him. If I say something stupid like:

"Ivysaur haz da best recovery in the gamez!"

Kindly tell me to shut up.

Thanks. :laugh:

Toby.

Smash Master
Use of Ivy's bair depends on who you're up against. Generally you'll be using it as you drop towards the ground, either as a setup for ftilt/dtilt/grab or to prevent your opponent from getting a followup (assuming they just hit you). You can also use it to knock people off the ledge when they try to gimp your recovery.

Bair doesn't really guarantee any attacks, and it won't help you deal significant damage. It's more about controlling the opponent in small ways and mimizing ivysaur's vulnerability when we are airborne. It's also the only half decent attack we have that can protect our side.

Edit: And I see you're from Australia. Sweet.

IThinkAboutIvysaur

Smash Apprentice
Ivysaurs Bair outranges everything that GaymenWatch has in the air. So use his Bair to force GaymenWatch to stop his mindless Bair spam.:)

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Use of Ivy's bair depends on who you're up against. Generally you'll be using it as you drop towards the ground, either as a setup for ftilt/dtilt/grab or to prevent your opponent from getting a followup (assuming they just hit you). You can also use it to knock people off the ledge when they try to gimp your recovery.

Bair doesn't really guarantee any attacks, and it won't help you deal significant damage. It's more about controlling the opponent in small ways and mimizing ivysaur's vulnerability when we are airborne. It's also the only half decent attack we have that can protect our side.

Edit: And I see you're from Australia. Sweet.
Great! I thought it was kinda useless because usually for me it only does like 1% damage.

I didn't know it was so good. I'll have to start using it now.

And yes, I'm from Australia! :laugh:

I'm actually on Wi-Fi all the time, so I should post in the friend finder thread.
Ivysaurs Bair outranges everything that GaymenWatch has in the air. So use his Bair to force GaymenWatch to stop his mindless Bair spam.:)
Is bair one of the highest ranged attacks Ivysaur has? I'm guessing that's a "yes".

Also, is there a thread around here about Pokemon Trainer's throws? I find that all of them kill surprisingly early.

(Squirtle's Dthrow, Ivy's Bthrow and Charizard's Dthrow)

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Charizard's dthrow is actually a very poor kill move, Aero. If the enemy holds up, the move won't KO until...well, way too high. Like over 200% high. Most people who don't search the boards don't realize this, though.

Toby.

Smash Master
Yeah if your opponents know how to DI then they won't be dying from it. Most wifi players don't know how to DI though, so I guess for your purposes its fine.

and regarding GW's bair. You need incredibly good timing and spacing to consistently wall out GW's bair with this. He is waaay better in the air than us in terms of maneuverability, and bair only outranges him by a tiny bit. I don't recommend using it a lot against GW unless they have no idea about spacing or varying their attack rhythm.

We need to react almost instantly to the bair, so if they simply do an empty short hop they can punish our bair with a number of things, including their own bair.

Welcome to pokemon trainer btw.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Yeah if your opponents know how to DI then they won't be dying from it. Most wifi players don't know how to DI though, so I guess for your purposes its fine.

and regarding GW's bair. You need incredibly good timing and spacing to consistently wall out GW's bair with this. He is waaay better in the air than us in terms of maneuverability, and bair only outranges him by a tiny bit. I don't recommend using it a lot against GW unless they have no idea about spacing or varying their attack rhythm.

We need to react almost instantly to the bair, so if they simply do an empty short hop they can punish our bair with a number of things, including their own bair.

Welcome to pokemon trainer btw.
The Wi-Fi players from the forum I come from are pretty awesome players. I'm sure most of them know about DI.

So Bair is not entirely reliable? Ok. I'll remember that. Thanks. :)

ivy's bthrow and charizard's dthrow don't kill
Charizard's dthrow is actually a very poor kill move, Aero. If the enemy holds up, the move won't KO until...well, way too high. Like over 200% high.
Really? I find they kill sometimes. But I must be wrong. lol

WHY ISN'T ANYONE TELLING ME TO SHUT UP! :laugh:

I actually thought they did. Nevermind then. :laugh:

Ok, moar questions. Is Ivysaur's Up B a viable kill move on stages such as Battlefield (Think Platforms)? I’ve done it before, but it seems a little situational. Do I have better options?

How’s Squirtle’s Side B for recovery? It slows him down a little, but it seems okay. I can’t ever seem to get Squirtle’s Up B to work for me. lol. Am I doing something dreadfully wrong?

I’ve heard about all this “Hydroplaning” stuff. I haven’t looked into it yet so I’m not sure of what it is. Is it really important to Squirtle’s “game”? Because quite frankly all my Squirtle does is jump and fair, dair, nair and bair a lot. Then if I’m on the ground, I just use ftilt and jabs with the occasional dtilt and utilt on heavy characters. Then I grab, pummel, Dthrow (Hope s/he dies lol) and Pokemon Change.

Also, I have to say that I have absolutely fallen in love with Ivysaur’s F-smash. Is its range good? It looks good, but I’m not so sure. But it can be aimed too. Does aiming it have much effect on knockback?

One last question, what should I do if someone hogs the edge and I’m Ivysaur? Should I try to get back on, or if they are at high % should I try to sweetspot the Up B to kill them?

Ok. That’s all my questions... for now. :laugh:

Also, sorry for not using the search function. I find it too hard to find what I’m looking for when I do. I just can’t be bothered trawling through thousands of posts.

Vermy

Smash Champion
Safe kill moves are as follows:

Squirtle:
Dthrow
Usmash
Dsmash

Ivysaur:
Dash attack (fresh and after 120ish %)
Uair (situational)
Vinewhip tipper can kill, but they're few and far between.
Fsmash
Uthrow (on a stage with a low ceiling, after 130%) More of a surprise kill.

Charizard:
Ftilt tipper
Dtilt tipper
RRRRRRRRRRRROOOCCCCKKKSMMMAAAASSSHHH
Fair (offstage gimps ftw)
Bair tipper
Dair meteor smash(again, situational)
Usmash
Uthrow has same/similar knockback strength to Ivy's. VERY high %, low ceiling.

Moves not to use EVER:
Squirtles side B on stage
Ivysaurs dsmash
Charizards dash attack

Toby.

Smash Master
Vermy I wouldn't really call ivysaurs dash attack or squirtles dsmash safe :/

Good for killing, but unsafe due to massive end lag. Unless you hydroplane the dsmash.

In regards to DI, if you are finding that you're getting kills with dthrow then it sorta proves your opponents aren't DI'ing it :p

Bestiarius

Smash Ace
TRYING TO RECOVER WITH SQUIRTLE'S SIDE B IS THE ABSOLUTE WORST THING POSSIBLE IN BRAWL!!!!!!!!!!
Ok, slight over-reaction, but if your opponent so much as touches you, you go ricocheting in the other direction............STILL IN YOUR SHELL!!!!!!! Plus, I'm pretty sure you fall quicker doing side-b.

Shell-shifting is vital, but hydroplaning is not near as. It is still important, though. Squirtle moves lightning fast and charges an usmash. What's not to like? There's a great tutorial vid on it in the vid thread. Check it out!

Vermy

Smash Champion
dash attack comes out on frame 4, so its quick enough at high percents to get the job done.

after you said "hydroplane" i realised that's the only way i use dsmash these days. That sh*t has raaaaaaaaaange. And as Aerodrome said, he isnt sure what it is yet. >.<

Hydroplane is the act of cancelling squirtle's dash pivot animation with a special smash or grab input, giving you a nice big slide to go along with it. It's Squirtle's answer (and rebuttal) to a dacus. The advance techniques thread explains how to accomplish this. Sliding usmash is the most common, and useful.

Top Bottom