• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bidoof Academy - Pokémon Trainer Q+A Thread

Toby.

Smash Master
Quick to start, yeah. But I'm more concerned with the ending.

I'm all for saying its a good kill move, but a move being safe means its hard to punish. Ivysaurs tackle is super easy to punish as long as you shield.

Regarding your questions:

Squirtles withdraw is useful for momentum canceling, but unless you are high up its best to end it prior to reaching the stage. As bestiarius mentioned, if you get hit whilst in the shell that could spell the end. If you intend of withdrawing on to the stage as a surprise or for some other reason, make sure you save your second jump so you have a chance of recovering if you get hit off.

Vinewhip is good for KOs. It's also obvious, so you have to trick your opponent into getting hit by it. Still, it has good knockback.

If its possible to razor leaf the person holding the edge or hit them with an aerial, always do so to give yourself a chance of vinewhipping the stage. If its impossible for you to return, try and SS vinewhip them for a stagespike, but since thats incredible easy to avoid, not to mention obvious, only poor players will get hit. Still, you might as well try :p

Ivysaurs fsmash is pretty decent. It has great range, but has pretty bad startup time. This makes it somewhat hard to land. You want to be using this move rarely so that you still have the element of surprise. Otherwise they'll just shield it and punish you.

Hydroplaning is useful. You can view it an other pokemon trainer tricksies >here<. There are a lot of applications for squirtles pivot mechanics, but its a pretty long and complicated topic.

If you want to add me on msn or something I can give you the run down :)

Miles.

Smash Champion
ivys fsmash is relaly bad
long startup

long end lag

it just has good range and power

only use it when you know it will hit

Toby.

Smash Master
I wouldn't say relaley bad.

I mean its the only thing ivysaur has that can outrange a tippered marth. That can be extremely useful ;)

The catch is that you have to use it whilst their are attacking, so the timing and spacing can be tricky.

Bestiarius

Smash Ace
Razor leaf also outranges a tippered marth, but that really is aside the point. It is easily punishable if it misses. Can Ivy's jab outrange a tippered marth?

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Wow......it seems anybody can make one of these types of threads nowadays LOL.

Bestiarius

Smash Ace
Well, nobody likes Marth anyway. Or Metaknight. Except for n00bs who don't want to use a character that might actually have a learning curve. That's why Real Brawlers use Pokemon Trainer.

Vermy

Smash Champion
To an extent, I'll agree with you there. PTs learning curve is huge. But not to say that's the reason we're so far down the list.

PT, Snake, ICs, Link and ZSS all have ridiculously big learning curves. Anyone can ftilt spam, but it takes a lot of skill and practice to be a high level Snake. Same goes for zss and ics. Deathgrabs are a bonus, but that's not the only reason ICs are A tier. They worked hard.

We need to step our game. =)

Vermy

Smash Champion
I can name a lot of PTs that attend tourneys regularly.
Myself, Toby, Typh, Reflex, Steeler, Bomber, MaTA, T-Block, Zigsta, IRL... and thats just off the top of my head.

Tourney rep isn't the big problem. It's work. Reflex worked hard to get PT where he is. The rest of us just sat by and cruised on his success, instead of going, "Let's show our support, and try harder" Granted, matchups like GaW, Snake and Marth are difficult, but its doesn't mean we can't over come them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNXeA8laU6o

THAT is how you fight Snake. More of us need Matchup experience vs our worsts. I don't get 2 stocked by my states' Marth mains anymore, and that's just from knowing how to use ivysaur and Charizard properly. Most PTs put all their effort into Squirtle, and neglect the other 2. This is our weakness. All 3 need to be on level skill with each other.

I put forth a challenge to all PTs.

Start as Charizard or Ivysaur for your next tourney. See where you land. Forget matchups, this is about how confident you are with them. Get your pokemon out of their pokeballs! I'll bet if these pokemon were in actual game, Squirtles strongest move would be return, while Ivy's would be FRUSTRATION.

For those who get the reference, you're in a bit, and you're doing fine. Have a donut.

More ivy and zard. They need attention, poor fellas are headed to the poké orphanage soon enough.

[/rant]

Miles.

Smash Champion
I wouldn't say relaley bad.

I mean its the only thing ivysaur has that can outrange a tippered marth. That can be extremely useful ;)

The catch is that you have to use it whilst their are attacking, so the timing and spacing can be tricky.
'''

wow toby be more emo

you are alwawys like coming in and raining on parades, and now you are like its not that bad of a move,

its not safe on shield and even if you are like half battlefield away you can still be punished, its not a great move at all.
tell me how that works out for you guys.
so typh the next video i upload has the most epic typhdash i have ever had the honor to preform.

Toby.

Smash Master
Oi.

Terribad moves should never be used. If marth is doing a dancing blade this is the only thing we have to stop him. PLUS it actually has damage and knockback. This is a situation where we can use fsmash. I already said not to use it a lot because its unsafe.

All I did was point out a use that most people wouldn't have been aware of.

I'll fight you on this :p

Miles.

Smash Champion
Quick to start, yeah. But I'm more concerned with the ending.

I'm all for saying its a good kill move, but a move being safe means its hard to punish. Ivysaurs tackle is super easy to punish as long as you shield.
ivysaurs fsmash is super easy to punish as long as you shield.

Miles.

Smash Champion
Oi.

Terribad moves should never be used. If marth is doing a dancing blade this is the only thing we have to stop him. PLUS it actually has damage and knockback. This is a situation where we can use fsmash. I already said not to use it a lot because its unsafe.

All I did was point out a use that most people wouldn't have been aware of.

I'll fight you on this :p
bulletseed dancing blade, oh and you can rocksmash dancing blade sometimes.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
I can name a lot of PTs that attend tourneys regularly.
Myself, Toby, Typh, Reflex, Steeler, Bomber, MaTA, T-Block, Zigsta, IRL... and thats just off the top of my head.

Tourney rep isn't the big problem. It's work. Reflex worked hard to get PT where he is. The rest of us just sat by and cruised on his success, instead of going, "Let's show our support, and try harder" Granted, matchups like GaW, Snake and Marth are difficult, but its doesn't mean we can't over come them.

[/rant]
>> Match up experience is quite limited to me in skill level and character though that's only because of transportation issues which I'm excited for because that willchange o so very soon. >=D I'll drive to my friend's places or have them over and brawl till I can't anymore. Plus Zig told me he picked up Wario and he would help me up with my Wario match up because my two worst are Wario and G&W, more Wario than G&W. If I showed you, there ould be a huge gap as to how difficult it is for me to fight wario compared to G&W. Plus I have one more year till college and I could go live near where Zig is which could serve to be an added bonus. Though all in good time >> Now, if I would find a good brawl tourny to go to near me which isn't looking promising atm. :[

Toby.

Smash Master
bulletseed dancing blade, oh and you can rocksmash dancing blade sometimes.
Tipper dancing blade has more range than bullet seed. Poorly spaced dancing blade will often automatically DI them out of the pop up because they are holding to the side :3

We can only bullet seed during the actual DB if they use the final downward variation, or if they do it too slowly.

Rawk smash don't matter son, we be talking about saur saur saur!

aim is way better than this

Vermy

Smash Champion
I have the same problem with Olimar. You should come to Australia, we have smash meets EVERY WEEK, and 30+ tourneys every month. Not everyone is a tier wh*re here, so there's a main for almost every character in the roster. =D

Melbourne has an amazing Smash Scene, and we have our biggest Smash tourney coming in October. Epic level grinding ahoy!

Bomber7

Smash Hero
I have the same problem with Olimar. You should come to Australia, we have smash meets EVERY WEEK, and 30+ tourneys every month. Not everyone is a tier wh*re here, so there's a main for almost every character in the roster. =D

Melbourne has an amazing Smash Scene, and we have our biggest Smash tourney coming in October. Epic level grinding ahoy!
I would love to. though it's all a matter of money however if the US gets any worse I had always considered moving to Ausi for sanctuary since everything is cool (lol hot) over there. though if the slim to non chance of me going on vacation in Ausi comes up I'm looking you guys up for some smash. =D

Bestiarius

Smash Ace
Dang, I kinda wished I lived in Australia. Except that everything dangerous lives there. Blue-ringed octupi, cone snails, brown farm snakes, tarantulas, crocodiles. . . Toby. . .

Vermy

Smash Champion
Toby's not dangerous!
^_^

(To understand this next joke, "root" is an Australian colloqiual referring to sex. I.E. Guy 1: spent a weekend with my gf this weekend
Guy 2: get a root?)

Toby is a lovable, cuddly wombat. He eats roots and leaves.

Fact: a wombat has a bite strong enough to sever off a human hand.

Back on topic...

SOME FOTHERMUCKER MADE MY HUMBLE YELLOW NAME INTO FALCON PINK.

Whoever you are, <3.

Bestiarius

Smash Ace
How does someone hack like that?

And you contradicted yourself by proving that wombats are indeed dangerous, even lovable, cuddly ones.

Toby is dangerous. He's so dangerous that a fighting turtle, a dinosaur with sharp leaves and scourges made of vines, and a fire-breathing dragon all agreed to do his bidding.

Plus, he bit off my hand.

Vermy

Smash Champion
Wombats are still cuddly ^_^

Premium membership accounts allow people to "prank" 2 people a month, giving them pink names and a "pranked!" title. Someone pranked me. And I fecking love it. I'll bet it was Toby. <3

Bomber7

Smash Hero
My reason: I keep my teaming suggestions simple and not too complicated unless it is flat out obvious the character X is not suited for PT. Plus I just fight with who I want =/

Vermy

Smash Champion
I fight with Ganondorf every tourney I go to. I don't really have anything to bring to the table from personal experience.

Squirtle + Dorf = squirtle juggles the opponent and Dorf kills both them AND Squirtle.
Ivy + Dorf = get gimped all the time. That being said, my most epic team combo was when I had my opponent in bullet seed, and BOOM warlock punch.

Zard + Dorf: animals die, crops wither, buildings crumble and the world is destroyed in the most apocalyptic way possible. This is the place where people come to die.

Mind you the Dorf I play with is effing amazing. Once beat one of my state's top 3 player's Samus (that's a 95-5 MU).

Toby.

Smash Master
Premium membership accounts allow people to "prank" 2 people a month, giving them pink names and a "pranked!" title. Someone pranked me. And I fecking love it. I'll bet it was Toby. <3
Not me :)

I was going to prank you, then somebody else beat me to it XD

and you guys are too nice. i'm not even close to being as hardcore as a wombat!

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
OK, serious question here fellas: Anyone know how to properly SDI out of Zelda's upsmash? I know it's possible 'cuz level 9s do this a LOT against Zelda, and I've seen friends of mine, both well-known and unknown to the Smash community, SDI out of it, but none of them know for sure just how they've done it.

Top Bottom