• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Band Ever?

LordoftheMorning

Smash Champion
Daft Punk >_>
CHEYA!!!!! HI FIVEZ!!! Daft Punk.... is just epic. Their music is like art, it has a sort of symmetricalness to it.

Other than that... Muse... Heck yes... Best incorporation of a piano in rock-style music I've heard in a loooooong time. Those guys are gifted.

Arctic Monkeys, cuz Yorkshire accents are teh ownage.

Honorable mentions: Jimi, Queen (also wit teh ownage piano), The Beatles, Rage Against the Machine, aaaaand System of a Down. Oh and don't forget Santana.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Been looking into local music and discovered some stuff. First of all, Buckethead is from SF's Bay Area \m/. Second, an awesome pop band called Jellyfish from the early 90's. They only produced two LP's, but both would make my 100 90's albums. My favorite song is here from their debut Bellybutton. Check them out if you feel inclined to do. Third, The Mother Hips are from here as well. You may recognize them from the song The Time We Had in Rock Band. Good stuff, check em out too.

San Francisco has so much cool stuff, the most famous my San Jose has is Smash Mouth >_>

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
Even if I'm not a fan, The Beatles have sold over a billion records and you can't argue with numbers.

NeBz

Smash Journeyman
Even if I'm not a fan, The Beatles have sold over a billion records and you can't argue with numbers.
Miley Cyrus, Jonas Brothers, 50 Cent, Soulja boy. Brawl? Need I say more?

Mainstream stuff usually sells more and usually sucks. The Best bands are always the hidden ones.

The Beatles aren't that good anyway.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
The Beatles are a good 60's guitar pop band. I like 'em as much as the next guy, but the whole "most influential" and "most innovative/original" stuff is what I'm referring to, along with "they sold the most."

Although unfair to compare the Beatles to the likes of Mr. Bungle or The Residents, bands at the same time were experimenting way more than the Beatles did (and when John Lennon and Yoko Ono were experimenting everyone hated it, although it's really awesome music you guys should all check out), whether they had a gimmick (Bob Dylan adding electric rock instruments into folk is one of the biggest genre collisions ever; Blue Cheer and Black Sabbath were the forerunners for Metal; Velvet Underground were among the first minimalist noise bands) or genuinely trippy (The Mothers of Invention, Captain Beefheart, etc.). I'll give 'em influence, most bands after that say that they liked them at some point (see Jellyfish I posted earlier, their albums have Macca covers galore).

Beatles: Good band and all, but bands before and after did way more than the Beatles get credit for.

Spire

III
BRoomer
The Beatles are a good 60's guitar pop band. I like 'em as much as the next guy, but the whole "most influential" and "most innovative/original" stuff is what I'm referring to, along with "they sold the most."

Although unfair to compare the Beatles to the likes of Mr. Bungle or The Residents, bands at the same time were experimenting way more than the Beatles did (and when John Lennon and Yoko Ono were experimenting everyone hated it, although it's really awesome music you guys should all check out), whether they had a gimmick (Bob Dylan adding electric rock instruments into folk is one of the biggest genre collisions ever; Blue Cheer and Black Sabbath were the forerunners for Metal; Velvet Underground were among the first minimalist noise bands) or genuinely trippy (The Mothers of Invention, Captain Beefheart, etc.). I'll give 'em influence, most bands after that say that they liked them at some point (see Jellyfish I posted earlier, their albums have Macca covers galore).

Beatles: Good band and all, but bands before and after did way more than the Beatles get credit for.
If I'm the "next guy", then you probably don't like 'em much at all. I honestly can't stand the majority of their work, and that which I can, I'd not listen to by choice.

Yoko Ono did a song with Ween called "Ask the Dragon", where Ween provides the music and backup vocals repeating "I am the stallion," (to all who understand this, I salute you), and Yoko on lead vocals. It's pretty **** good. Not the first time that Ween collaborated with a Japanese artist. They, and The Boredoms conjoined in the mid-90's for a project called Z-Rock Hawaii, which to this date, is probably some of the oddest of Ween's work.

Nice to see the Bungle and Residents references. The best music really does come from the West Coast, but perhaps that's simply because of the accessible locations of producers. It's inevitable that there are plenty of incredible bands out and everywhere that simply don't make it because the "importants" never catch 'em.

As for the "Best Band Ever"? Definitely not The Beatles. I'll openly say that my favorite, and most loved is definitely Les Claypool's work, with Primus, Sausage, Holy Mackerel, and Frog Brigade, amongst his many projects. As for the most influential? I'm giving that reward to David Bowie. He did everything first, and to this day, is still 20 years ahead of his time.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
As for the most influential? I'm giving that reward to David Bowie. He did everything first, and to this day, is still 20 years ahead of his time.
As much as I like Bowie, one of his common criticisms was changing his style to what was becoming popular at the time, although he would usually start his transition before the movement was in full bloom, most noticeably glam. He saw it was going to be big, and who are we to complain, we got Hunky Dory and Ziggy Stardust! Favorite albums by him are Low and Station to Station. Also if he did everything, wheres "Bowie sings Hank Williams?"(seriously, I'd love to see that).

Let's stick to our country of origins

Top Favorite American Solo Artists:
  • Bob Dylan
  • Hank Williams
  • Tom Waits
  • Townes Van Zandt
  • Patti Smith

Top Favorite American Bands(subject to change at anytime):
  • Dinosaur Jr.
  • Flipper
  • fIREHOSE
  • Primus
  • The Residents

~rh

Smash Lord
I have a few

the band apart
ART-SCHOOL
ELLEGARDEN
the GazettE
alice nine.
Versailles

Peeze

Smash Master

Mainstream stuff usually sells more and usually sucks. The Best bands are always the hidden ones.

Did u just mention soulja boy and Miley cyrus in the same category as the Beatles?

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer

Way to group radically different artists and bands together and imply that all mainstream is terrible without taking talent into account.
Just because modern mainstream (and for that matter, "hidden") sucks, it does not mean that has always been the case or that it is always true. It is certainly not true of the Beatles. That was a very different era; mainstream often meant "good", not "bad".

Spire

III
BRoomer
As much as I like Bowie, one of his common criticisms was changing his style to what was becoming popular at the time, although he would usually start his transition before the movement was in full bloom, most noticeably glam. He saw it was going to be big, and who are we to complain, we got Hunky Dory and Ziggy Stardust! Favorite albums by him are Low and Station to Station. Also if he did everything, wheres "Bowie sings Hank Williams?"(seriously, I'd love to see that).
And lo and behold, we again share the same taste. Tack on Heroes, and you've got yourself a deal. Those three albums were from the "Golden Years" of Bowie's career, courageously followed by Scary Monsters.

I can't believe I didn't think of him earlier, but Jeff Lynne takes the cake for me - even above Bowie. Not only did he conduct ELO, but he helped so many musicians in their careers. the Traveling Wilburys were genius. Lynne, Harrison, Dylan, and Petty. That's GOLD right there.

Les Claypool still remains my most beloved musician, and has been for years.

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
my top 4
- Linkin Park
- Coheed and Cambria
- Three Days Grace
- Asian Kung-Fu Generation

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
Way to group radically different artists and bands together and imply that all mainstream is terrible without taking talent into account.
Just because modern mainstream (and for that matter, "hidden") sucks, it does not mean that has always been the case or that it is always true. It is certainly not true of the Beatles. That was a very different era; mainstream often meant "good", not "bad".
Listen to GoldShadow, he actually knows what he's talking about unlike most of you. People who don't like bands solely based on the fact that they're mainstream are fools. Obscure does not mean better, it just means less well known. Would you stop liking your favourite band if it became mainstream? You'd have to be pretty bitter and pathetic to base your musical preferences on popularity.

Pengie

Smash Lord
If Metallica had stopped making albums after the Black album I might have called the the best band, but since that's not the case I'll go with Megadeth.

Finding Waldo

Smash Apprentice
I am down to just two, which I will call "Top Tier Bands"; (Sorry.) Foo Fighters and Atreyu.

Fiend's_Knee

Smash Apprentice
Metallica's first 5 albums are great, MoP and Justice in particular tho, these two albums and Fade to Black earn them the right to be considered as one of the best bands ever just forget most of their later sh*t

Honorable mention here - Iced Earth, listen to Dante's Inferno its f*cking epic, Matt Barlow only tho

and also Led Zeppelin as well they're just in a class of their own

NeBz

Smash Journeyman
If Metallica had stopped making albums after the Black album I might have called the the best band, but since that's not the case I'll go with Megadeth.
Kreator > Exodus > Slayer > Destruction > Megadeth

Megadeth was always better than Metallica. From the very beginning.

Metallica.
No way.

Top Bottom