• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Band Ever?

xeonoex

Smash Journeyman
hahahahahahahahha Linkin Park

Best song evar?
http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1765596

I gotta mention Pantera and Nine Inch Nails. Old MSI was some entertaining **** too.
Avenged Sevenfold's Waking the Fallen was great, but their new CD sucks. Their third CD has some good songs though. They really sold out. After their latest CD they said something like they used to just masturbate into their guitars and their old stuff sucked. That's how you know they sold out. Big labels brainwash people I guess. I think they even believe in god too or something now... after having songs like Desecrate Through Reverence.
There's a lot of good metal I'm sure will get mentioned so I won't do it.

Mostly anything new and on TV sucks.

Beatles were good in their time, but they didn't age too well. They seem like cool guys though and all their devil worshipper stories on the internet are fun to read.

I'm also a big fan of classical music. If you give the conditions where the artist must be alive Eric Whitacre might take the cake.

NeBz

Smash Journeyman
Did u just mention soulja boy and Miley cyrus in the same category as the Beatles?
Way to group radically different artists and bands together and imply that all mainstream is terrible without taking talent into account.
Just because modern mainstream (and for that matter, "hidden") sucks, it does not mean that has always been the case or that it is always true. It is certainly not true of the Beatles. That was a very different era; mainstream often meant "good", not "bad".
That's not what I meant. I meant that SOMETIMES a band COULD be bad and still be successful and sell out.

Kreator and Exodus, nice.

Vio-Lence, Anthrax, Testament, Overkill, Sodom, Helloween, Sepultura, Voivod, anybody?
Testament, Overkill and Sodom are super awesome. Vio-Lence and voivod are awesome. Anthrax and Sepultura used to be awesome. :(

Good taste in music.

Peeze

Smash Master
Well i'm just gonna go ahead and throw a monkey wrench into this beast:
Bob marley and the wailers.
They're album Exodus was voted the best album of the 20th century by Time magazine, VH1 named it the 26th best album OF ALL TIME.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Well i'm just gonna go ahead and throw a monkey wrench into this beast:
Bob marley and the wailers.
They're album Exodus was voted the best album of the 20th century by Time magazine, VH1 named it the 26th best album OF ALL TIME.
So what you're saying is that they're the best, but there are 25 better albums? :laugh:

I kid of course. The Wailers were a good place to start reggae, but I've grown beyond that. Dub is by far superior, and the more I listen, the less Jamaican The Wailers sound. I'm not calling Bob Marley a sell-out or "only white guys listen to him" or anything, but I urge everyone to look beyond the one that made it accessible and look for more gems amidst the rough.

Linton Kwesi Johnson is no doubt a god among men.

Peeze

Smash Master
According to vh1 he was 26th. According to time it was the best. Dude did you read the whole thing or just zero in on one point?

I hate that post the entire thing. You just offended a freaking icon, and the musical revolution he started. I listen to lots of reggae, i was raised in jamaica, reggae's everywhere. Im sure i've had more exposure to reggae than you ever had, and no one holds a candle to marley. He sings with so much emotion, and heart. The stuff you hear is probably mainstream marley thats outplayed, if you really get into marleys, early music or his songs that werent singles, you'll see what i mean.
like this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hd1CQEtrQMY

Shred_kid

Smash Cadet
Kreator and Exodus, nice.

Vio-Lence, Anthrax, Testament, Overkill, Sodom, Helloween, Sepultura, Voivod, anybody?
agreed.
I would have to say my favorite band is Rage against the Machine or Dream Theater. I'm surprised that nobody's said the Smashing Pumpkins

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
According to vh1 he was 26th. According to time it was the best. Dude did you read the whole thing or just zero in on one point?
Never take stuff like The Rolling Stone seriously. Trust me, it's for the best. They get some stuff right some of the time, but others, it's better left unsaid.

I hate that post the entire thing. You just offended a freaking icon, and the musical revolution he started.[/quote I listen to lots of reggae, i was raised in jamaica, reggae's everywhere. Im sure i've had more exposure to reggae than you ever had, and no one holds a candle to marley. He sings with so much emotion, and heart. The stuff you hear is probably mainstream marley thats outplayed, if you really get into marleys, early music or his songs that werent singles, you'll see what i mean.
like this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hd1CQEtrQMY
First: I have downloaded the following albums
  • Burnin'
  • Exodus
  • Catch A Fire
  • Legend
  • The Wailing Wailers
  • Soul Rebels
  • Africa Herbsman
  • Natty Dread

Second: I hear him all the time "The Only Reggae you'll ever need" and "The only Reggae artist to ever make a significant career" (him, as in Bob Marley never was in a band or anything :rolleyes:). Being raised in Jamaica, with more background in reggae than I'll ever know, you honestly think that no other Reggae artist deserves mention as ground-breaking or great musicians?

Third: I never said he sucks. There is a ****-load of bad reggae I've heard, and I would not even consider placing him in that category. Top ten for reggae, the Wailers would make my list, just not one.

Fourth: I'm tired of people assuming I hate Reggae, Jamaica, Rasta, etc. because I don't think The Wailer's are the best >_>

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
There are too many bands I love to say my favorite band (which is what this should be changed to, no matter what anyone says, you cannot truthfully declare the best band or drummer (lookin' at you, Saki) or guitarist, etc.)

...Yeah, honestly, I can't say. It's too hard. Depends on the mood I'm in (I may feel like anything from Metal to Video Game Music) and depends on...the moment. If I just got an awesome CD for one band I may be inclined to say them, but once the luster of that dies off it'll be as good as the rest of my music (not that that's a bad thing, especially considering how highly I regard music, it just won't stand out so much anymore).

I can say I don't like Classic Rock, though. Yes, that includes Led Zeppelin. *Awaits flames* And The Beatles. *Awaits flames*
Yes, I know, they started up rock, whatever. Pong started up video games, though, and I wouldn't declare it the best game.

*Puts up flame forcefield*

...Yeah, this is what I'm talking about.

I hate that post the entire thing. You just offended a freaking icon, and the musical revolution he started.
Just because they started it means nothing. If you personally like him better, fine. You can't tell someone "YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG!" when it comes to musical tastes, because that's offensive AND stupid.

I'm not taking a stance on this, though, I'm not a fan of reggae.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
I always felt like saying that Firus, my true opinions about Zep and the Beatles (I lightened it up earlier), but after this whole ordeal with Marley, I better just keep my mouth shut.

Honestly, I do like Queen. Really!

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
I always felt like saying that Firus, my true opinions about Zep and the Beatles (I lightened it up earlier), but after this whole ordeal with Marley, I better just keep my mouth shut.

Honestly, I do like Queen. Really!

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
I can say I don't like Classic Rock, though. Yes, that includes Led Zeppelin. *Awaits flames* And The Beatles. *Awaits flames*
Yes, I know, they started up rock, whatever. Pong started up video games, though, and I wouldn't declare it the best game.
People don't like them because they started things (at least, that's not why I like them). We like them because they are awesome bands/artists. The reason they started things is because they were so **** amazing; not the other way around.

While your Pong analogy seems tempting at first, you have to realize that Pong/classic rock musicians and music/video gaming are two very different things. The analogy doesn't really work out.

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer
agreed.
I'm surprised that nobody's said the Smashing Pumpkins
Maybe because the Smashing Pumpkins is awful.

I don't believe in a "best band", but an influential band I love that I don't think has been mentioned yet(I can't be ***** to read through ALL of this)is the Pixies. Awesome lyrics and a unique sound. They influenced a good amount of bands.

Also, there are plenty of bands that come from the East Coast that make it big.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
People don't like them because they started things (at least, that's not why I like them). We like them because they are awesome bands/artists. The reason they started things is because they were so **** amazing; not the other way around.

While your Pong analogy seems tempting at first, you have to realize that Pong/classic rock musicians and music/video gaming are two very different things. The analogy doesn't really work out.
I know, but a lot of people attack me when I say I don't like them, because they act like I have to like them, since they started things. I personally don't think they're that good, and that's why I don't like them, but...that's my opinion.

How so? I think that, by the argument that one should respect and like a band just because they started things (although I know you're not saying that), you can counter it with Pong. JUST because it started things does not make it great.

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer
Well, Pong can't really grow and evolve like a band can. It just happened to be first. A band who is the first at something is often copied and emulated because it's good. The original band can still grow and evolve. Pong is basically stuck where it's at, and was only really copied as a game and not a style, and only because it was the very first. So really, it was hardly copied at all. Just the idea of a computer game was.

I probably didn't explain that very well.

Peeze

Smash Master
Never take stuff like The Rolling Stone seriously. Trust me, it's for the best. They get some stuff right some of the time, but others, it's better left unsaid.
Dude where did rolling stones come from? Time magazine, not rolling stone. I never even said rolling stone. You still didnt read the post!

First: I have downloaded the following albums
  • Burnin'
  • Exodus
  • Catch A Fire
  • Legend
  • The Wailing Wailers
  • Soul Rebels
  • Africa Herbsman
  • Natty Dread
Burnin' is my favorite, with soul rebel a close second....just thought i'd say that.

Second: I hear him all the time "The Only Reggae you'll ever need" and "The only Reggae artist to ever make a significant career" (him, as in Bob Marley never was in a band or anything :rolleyes:). Being raised in Jamaica, with more background in reggae than I'll ever know, you honestly think that no other Reggae artist deserves mention as ground-breaking or great musicians?
Dude you seriously haven't heard anything i've said have you? I never said anything you attribute to me. I never said no other reggae artist deserves mention as great. I listen to more reggae music from other musicians than from marley. I simply said none of them hold a candle to marleys music. In smash terms, marley(for me) is the only one in god tier, some are in high and top tier.

Third: I never said he sucks. There is a ****-load of bad reggae I've heard, and I would not even consider placing him in that category. Top ten for reggae, the Wailers would make my list, just not one.
Ok

Fourth: I'm tired of people assuming I hate Reggae, Jamaica, Rasta, etc. because I don't think The Wailer's are the best >_>
Never said you said any of this. I disagree with you for simply this reason: I've listened to hundreds of reggae artists, and none as good as marley and the wailers.

Just because they started it means nothing. If you personally like him better, fine. You can't tell someone "YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG!" when it comes to musical tastes, because that's offensive AND stupid.
I think i should break down grammer for you.
peeze said:
I hate that post the entire thing. You just offended a freaking icon, and the musical revolution he started.
This part of the sentence: "a freaking icon," is a non essential clause, meaning if you take it out of the sentence it still works. lets see:

peeze said:
Understand? i never said because he started it he's special, because, um he didnt start reggae. I meant(maybe i was too vague, so i apologize) you cant give the credit for the boom in reggae music to anyone besides marley, that would be disrespectful.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Dude where did rolling stones come from? Time magazine, not rolling stone. I never even said rolling stone. You still didnt read the post!

I originally had "stuff like magazines" in my OP and went to add in "like the Rolling Stone" as an example, but accidentally deleted it.

Burnin' is my favorite, with soul rebel a close second....just thought i'd say that.

Same here, but I like Natty Dread more than Soul Rebel, but whatev, Burnin' is class.

Dude you seriously haven't heard anything i've said have you? I never said anything you attribute to me. I never said no other reggae artist deserves mention as great. I listen to more reggae music from other musicians than from marley. I simply said none of them hold a candle to marleys music. In smash terms, marley(for me) is the only one in god tier, some are in high and top tier.

I never said that to you specifically, but as a generilzation of opinions on him by people who call him the greatest reggae artist and never listen to reggae outside of him.

Ok
kay.

Never said you said any of this. I disagree with you for simply this reason: I've listened to hundreds of reggae artists, and none as good as marley and the wailers.

I never said you accused me of this. Again, stupid generalizations of me not thinking The Wailers are the greatest, people have asked me "Why do you hate reggae," and for a while rumors I hated Jamaicans and hated Rastafarians were spreading (which were always fake), more than once.

grammar

This part of the sentence: "a freaking icon," is a non essential clause, meaning if you take it out of the sentence it still works. lets see:

When did I ever offend Marley? Marley fanboys, maybe as a side effect, but that's about it.

Understand? i never said because he started it he's special, because, um he didnt start reggae. I meant(maybe i was too vague, so i apologize) you cant give the credit for the boom in reggae music to anyone besides marley, that would be disrespectful.
Yes, he did start the boom. Reggae's world popularity starts with him, but doesn't end there is all I wanted to get across from the beginning. If not for people who do listen to reggae, then for people who don't and want to learn more are welcome to ask.

Sort of like the Sex Pistols and punk ideologies/fashion to world status instead of US and England.

Except The Wailers' had talent.

You like the Wailers' the best, that's good and all, and I'm glad to see that you listen to other reggae before you call them the best. Even though I'm white, it's just a little pet peeve to see white fans give reggae a bad name (you know what I'm talking about guys, don't make me even say it.)

Peeze, have you heard LKJ in Dub at all? Personally, one of my favorites of all time.

Speaking of Punk and Reggae, Bad Brains. Awesome.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I hope to dear god that was a joke.
The irony of telling me you're breaking down grammar yet you can't even spell "grammar" or capitalize 'I'.

Oh wow, I'm stupid and needed that lesson. Again, your grammar is so stupendous that I'm the one that needs the lesson.

I don't think he said anything of that sort.

I believe he said
you honestly think that no other Reggae artist deserves mention as ground-breaking or great musicians?
In other words, you shouldn't give mention ONLY to Bob Marley, as in, you shouldn't say "BOB MARLEY IS THE ONLY REGGAE ARTIST WORTH MENTIONING BECAUSE HE CREATED A BOOM IN IT."
For someone giving me a lesson on grammar, you don't seem to be able to interpret it very well yourself.

Peeze

Smash Master
The "grammar"(lol at the irony of mines bad gr4mer thru out) part was aimed at firus not you.

Yeah i listens to lots of reggae, listening to a reggae mix right now actually. Of the 10 songs that have played so far, only 2 are from marley. But never heard much LKJ, i like Inglan is a *****. It's true, but i find it funny.

Edit: moving away from reggae, i just got into CAKE i think they could of been better, if they had more staying power, i really like them though.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero

Peeze

Smash Master
Oh man, just when it looked like we could set aside our differences, you say Cake could've been better D:

Just kidding.

Cake still rules.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vd34vJohGXc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10C68Gzd5GM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0mx5ERj1eI
No way dude i still love cake. I just wish they had hits now, instead of fading so(relatively) quickly.

My top cake songs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__PU5CVSegg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJnYyRZjB_w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nbzt1HnVzIQ

chic

Smash Ace
and who ever said the beatles were a 60s pop group... lol

when they first started their career i would say they would fit into that category with songs like help and yesterday, but towards the end when they started making songs like a day in the life, strawberry fields, magical mystery tour, helter skelter, within without you and bluejay way, just to name a few, they were as far away from pop as you could get... im not saying you have to agree with me that they are the best but labeling them as a pop group - come on !

KaoS

BRoomer
BRoomer
Crawling In My Skiiiinn!!! This Orange It Will Not Peeeeel!!!!

I'm going to be honest here. This should be our National Anthem. [/sarcasm]

PD4FR

Smash Ace
Can't remember if I've posted here before.:dizzy:

But the best band to me is System of a Down.:)

maximus

Smash Apprentice
Well, personally, I think Boston and The Band are very interesting as far as the story of the group and the music itself, but if I had to pick one band without my bias, it'd probably be Queen just because each member stands out so much and they arguably never made a bad song.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
I just picked up my copy of Can't Buy A Thrill again. Listening to Countdown to Ecstasy right now.

Steely Dan, one of the best.

NeBz

Smash Journeyman
SOAD is not Metal.

Linkin Park sucks.

And Death is the best band ever.

GOTM

Smash Champion
Not only did Led Zeppelin never make a bad song, but they have music in EVERY single spectrum. Reggae, Blues, Folk, Punk, and Heavy Metal. Even some hip-hop songs today have stolen there beats, namely Sean Kingston from the Zeppelin song "D'yer Maker".

I think the only other bands that can even be named with Led Zeppelin for the best ever would be The Beatles, Queen, Black Sabbath, POSSIBLY The Who and/or Pink Floyd, but they are too linear sounding for me sometimes.

KMB23

Smash Journeyman
My favorite bands:
Minus the Bear
The Blood Brothers
Portugal. the Man
Bear Vs. Shark

are any of these bands the best band ever? in my eyes, yes. in others' eyes, no.
I'd say the Beatles is the best band ever, they are easily the most influential band of all time. What they have done for rock can never be done again. Led Zeppelin comes in second.

Top Bottom