• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Being consistent with fox

FluiD

Smash Apprentice
It seems like alot of players have a hard time being consistent with fox, obviously since hes argueably the hardest to be consistent with, but what are some of the best ways to practice? Is it better to just play as much as possible till you can get it down, or practice on computers and just run laps around 'em? What have you guys done to practice/ what was most benefitical?

PK Webb

Smash Champion
Well my issue is I'm unbelieveable techy when its a cpu but not against humans lol......eggm said he just practices tech all dai so I'm giving it a try....playin ppl is always better but to get muscle memory play cpus

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
wait its hard to be consistent? i don't even play this character much, and haven't practiced in a long long time, but i can still wavedoubleshine....

just learn fox's rhythm and you'll never forget it.

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
But sveet, it's much much more than anything shine/wavedash related with him..it's literally just the short hop that makes me inconsistent with him. that's really about it. and..that isn't rhythm so much as it is muscle memory on how hard i have to push the button X_X

Animal

Smash Lord
Well my issue is I'm unbelieveable techy when its a cpu but not against humans lol......eggm said he just practices tech all dai so I'm giving it a try....playin ppl is always better but to get muscle memory play cpus
good **** on saturday. rapee

and to comment on the post it is hard to be consistent in terms of playing, not in the difficulty of doing stuff per say.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
his SH is kinda difficult i guess... but if thats the only problem you have, why don't you just practice it? IMO the hardest thing about him is learning to lcancel and immediately doing something else, because each frame you waste after you land increases your chance to get ****ed up and reduces your ability to follow up whatever hit you had.

zifn15

Smash Cadet
yea I know what you mean about the short hop. I found a game faqs guide that pretty much explains how to do it easily. I'll edit, quote, and cite when I find it.

Found

"First go to your training ground and stand in the middle. At this moment, look
at your left thumb. It should be directly over the 'A' button, pointing up and
a little to the left. Now, visualize a dot, about 2 inches to the right of the
'x' button. Quickly move your thumb from its current position to the position
of the imaginary dot. Now move your thumb back to its former position and
repeat a few times, only on these repeats, apply a little downwards pressure
with your thumb as you move it. If you did this correctly, you will hear and
feel the 'x' button snap or go down a little. This is the motion required by
your thumb in order to short hop. Try it again, only this time, observe the
results. If you are short hopping correctly, you will see an obvious effect on
your screen. The jump height for your character should have reduced by a
considerable amount. Congratulations! You've learned to short hop. Now, try
to short hop while moving the control stick in a certain direction. You should
be able to short hop about as consistently as you can jump. Short hop across
Final Destination or do anything that you believe will serve as good practice.
You've learned the basics of the short hop."

link

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/gamecube/file/516492/40318

author: Parth Nikunj Dalal

mastermoo420

Smash Ace
I hope it means my right thumb, because my left hand doesn't go there. It also doesn't turn left a bit at all P:

Animal

Smash Lord
undeniably he is the hardest to be consistent with. It is the reason why he is unarguably the best character in yet no one has really dominated the melee scene with him besides maybe PC Chris back when he was on top

Animal

Smash Lord
it can be argued. But in pretty much every tier list fox is always the top. Also in every matchup chart he has the best matchups overall. Its pretty well accepted

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
he has 0 bad matchups. He also has one of the most versatile projectiles, tied for fastest character, and has the best methods for kills. How is he not the best character in the game?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
@KK: See thread labeled "Falco beats Fox". Basically, everything comes down to the matchup being even or stage dependent.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I saw that thread. It didn't seem like a consensus was reached at all. I also stopped reading it when people starting saying that "when Falco sees he's not being punished for shield pressuring, he'll be more lucrative with it and leave holes in it".

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I guess I don't understand the need for mindgames to cover rolls/WD OoS when multishine and shine-grab already do that safely, and there are a plethora of options that can also be used depending on the situation that don't sacrifice immense amounts of safety.

FluiD

Smash Apprentice
I guess I don't understand the need for mindgames to cover rolls/WD OoS when multishine and shine-grab already do that safely, and there are a plethora of options that can also be used depending on the situation that don't sacrifice immense amounts of safety.
Ya that what i was saying originally why leave yourself open when you don't have too. You could just say it better :p

DAftFlip

Smash Journeyman
I think that you might leave holes in your pressure game as a mind game in the sense that you get your opponent to think that you messed up or that you're not in control ( if say you're really well known/very skillful ) and that way you seem beatable or easier when the entire time you're actually covering all the bases. You can find out what makes your opponent tick and how he might respond in a situation where you did actually mess up so that when you face him next you'll know how to act accordingly.
There are so many little details like this in game that no matter how situational, if they help you win
even one match solely because you considered that detail.

However this is simply an opinion with a little fact on the side.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
i think what forward and those guys were getting at in the thread about falco beats fox is this:

if you pressure a certain way and the fox doesnt ever punish efficiently, you are at liberty continue pressure in that way no matter how flawed it is strategically. So if the fox doesn't do anything about you continuously late dairing their shield as falco, why would you (falco) bother to switch it up in any way?

then he was saying that once the falco has reached the false sense of security, you can in turn get way with things like upsmashing him OoS for doing the same stuff cuz you've conditioned him to thinking his bad way of playing is safe.

Thats what i got out of it anyway. Mindgames.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
i think what forward and those guys were getting at in the thread about falco beats fox is this:

if you pressure a certain way and the fox doesnt ever punish efficiently, you are at liberty continue pressure in that way no matter how flawed it is strategically. So if the fox doesn't do anything about you continuously late dairing their shield as falco, why would you (falco) bother to switch it up in any way?

then he was saying that once the falco has reached the false sense of security, you can in turn get way with things like upsmashing him OoS for doing the same stuff cuz you've conditioned him to thinking his bad way of playing is safe.

Thats what i got out of it anyway. Mindgames.
This makes alot of sense.

But I honestly can't see many players adapting to a new opponent that quickly, especially in tournament. Shield problems vs. Falco will only come up once or twice per stock at the most...the rest of the time you're getting out-prioritized and combo'ed across the stage. As much as we talk about shield strategies in this match-up; I still haven't seen a Fox player that can analyze a situation and pick up on those small details fast enough to tip the MU in his favour. Anyone share these sentiments?

Animal

Smash Lord
This makes alot of sense.

But I honestly can't see many players adapting to a new opponent that quickly, especially in tournament. Shield problems vs. Falco will only come up once or twice per stock at the most...the rest of the time you're getting out-prioritized and combo'ed across the stage. As much as we talk about shield strategies in this match-up; I still haven't seen a Fox player that can analyze a situation and pick up on those small details fast enough to tip the MU in his favour. Anyone share these sentiments?

If there is a fox to pick up on stuff like that it would be mango. And i think we need to see his fox more to truly tell.

Dart

Smash Lord
an even matchup and puff's worst matchup. good examples.
WRONG, her second worst. Marth is by far her worst. the sword says it all in this matchup. plus he doesn't get upthrow rested so you don't have to kiss your stock goodbye if you get thrown. plus he won't get gimped as hard if you're smart.

Dart

Smash Lord
having zero bad matchups meaning he has no matchups that are NOT in his favor. They can be 50-50 like falco. Fox is suppose to **** jiggz once we re learn the matchup
BAN Yoshis. pray you don't play on FoD. camp with lasers. upsmash. GG.
dreamland strat, upsmash anyway

PK Webb

Smash Champion
Honestly to play more consistent jus slow down and wait till a move finshes b4 u go to the next

DAftFlip

Smash Journeyman
Fox can be considered a reaction based character to an extent. I don't see why you can't bait your opponents with lasers and DDing and when someone approaches grab and punish. Getting momentum
with fox seems to be the problem with most players but if you bait your opponent and get that confidence building hit then you can follow up, lather, rinse and repeat.

Employing that kind "what is my opponent about" mentality first and then following up can be something to be practiced. The rest is tech skill. Which just takes time to aquire.

Top Bottom