• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Before My First Tournament, Critique my Link!!!

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
My first tournament is on November 1st, and I'm pretty excited. As far as I know, I'll be the only Link main attending, and right now I don't plan on going straight Link throughout the entire tournament. (Marth, maybe Shiek) There will be a lot of good players there (S.O.L.I.D. and Anther) so I doubt I'll even place in the top, uhhh, 20.

So, any thoughts/advice/anything before I rep Link at my first major tournament??? (P.S. I will post videos in this thread if I can get them after the tournament is over)

For further critique:

vs. Lucas
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYac9moIMmA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWc_sByySUM

vs. Diddy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCKsRGFXaK8

My friends and I took these vids about a month ago and I figured it would be good to post them. I know I used too much boomerang, but I was going through my "ZOMG JABLOCK" phase. :p

ook

Smash Lord
See ya there ;)

advice, um....... hope to God you get on the easy side of the brackets.
That's really all there is to it. :bee:

and... get there early, to get to know the people there and play a few friendlies

also if you're taking the train or bus or whatever, make sure you know when the last one is so you don't get stranded, lol. Happened to me

edit: also, NO JOHNS

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
try not to get nervous, and have fun,

Good luck!
Thanks, I'll try my best, but I'll inevitably get nervous.

I don't need to go over all the ATs, I know them all the the back of my hand. Mindgames... now theres something I need to work on.

See ya there ;)

advice, um....... hope to God you get on the easy side of the brackets.
That's really all there is to it. :bee:

and... get there early, to get to know the people there and play a few friendlies

also if you're taking the train or bus or whatever, make sure you know when the last one is so you don't get stranded, lol. Happened to me
I'll start praying for the exact opposite side of Anther and the other greats. I don't want to fall out in the first round. :laugh: I'll probably drive, but in the future I may take the El. I'm not sure yet.

edit: also, NO JOHNS
Never. :laugh:

Oddler

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OddlerPro
Well, if you don't think you're going to place just go Link all the way baby!

I'm only half serious GL :p

ArdeS

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I don't think anything can prepare you for your first tourney experience (unless you play with a lot of people in real life often) except the tourney itself. You might find yourself being able to keep your cool during a fight, or you might find hands shaking and tingling with adrenaline uncontrollably. Either way, just remember: keep your cool and keep your mind straight during matches.
That was my biggest problem starting out at tourneys; I'm just giving my personal advice to you. But most importantly, have fun and meet some new smashers and play a lot of friendlies. Lots of times the friendlies are what make a tournament more memorable than the actual brackets. :laugh:

Legan

Smash Lord
Gl Joe!, all you need to focus on is getting as many friendlies with as many different characters as possible. This is your first competitive tournament so you dont need to focus on placing well. Your main goal should be to gain as much experience as possible. You're gunna get your *** handed to you no doubt, but youll also learn alot. Say hi to Anther for me & Let him know he owes me a rematch.

Metro Knight

Smash Ace
And when he gives you that rematch, record it, and let us watch the rematch. I can always hope right? Anther gives me nightmares :(

D

Deleted member

i can almost guarantee you'll get tourney shakes, theres really no way around it. the only thing you can really do is play your hardest and learn from your mistakes. like legan said the more people you play the more matchup experience you'll gain and you'll learn the tricks and secrets of other characters.

as for playstyle during the tournament.....play extremely reserved. theres no need for you to go approaching anybody that can't out spam you. if your opponent is just chilling back trying to bait you, start raining bombs on his head. also stay calm when you're off the stage, DO NOT start recovering badly just because you think you'll be gimped or some **** and like always DI is a must.

GL homie, do work

Metro Knight

Smash Ace
Also get used to playing a lot of really long matches in a row. A problem I had in the tournament were people talking, maybe bring ear plugs, also get used to playing with ear plugs if you do decide to use them, and having three 6-7 minute long matches in a row. In one of those projectile fest it can get draining. Also you may have to be standing while your playing, so you might want to get used to standing while playing.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Haha very nice NintenJoe. I'm gonna spend my November 1st playing some smash too. I'm going to a friendly tourney for Halloween with some of my friends. So do good man. Make us proud (btw, I'm going to start attending monthlies in the beginning of next year's semester (like after the summer)) And Metro, some tourneys have chairs lol So good luck, may the triforce help you.

Ritch

Smash Journeyman
Well, ive only been to one tourney ( the PnT NYC tourney on the 18th, only did doubles though) and im not gonna lie, you will get nervous, only if you seem to be losing. If that starts to happen to you, keep your cool, that's how a link is supposed to be anyway since you cant do anything stupid or you're f***. Just do your best, as others said before, get as much experience as you can, you're first tourney should be a memorable one.

Also, prepare to see ALOT of Meta knights XD

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
Well, if you don't think you're going to place just go Link all the way baby!

I'm only half serious GL :p
I've been thinking about it, and since In know I won't place anyway, I might as well go straight Link. Unless I go up against a ruthless MK who gimps like no other, then I might go Marth or Kirby or something.

Honestly, I don't think anything can prepare you for your first tourney experience (unless you play with a lot of people in real life often) except the tourney itself. You might find yourself being able to keep your cool during a fight, or you might find hands shaking and tingling with adrenaline uncontrollably. Either way, just remember: keep your cool and keep your mind straight during matches.
That was my biggest problem starting out at tourneys; I'm just giving my personal advice to you. But most importantly, have fun and meet some new smashers and play a lot of friendlies. Lots of times the friendlies are what make a tournament more memorable than the actual brackets. :laugh:
Yeah, I'll try to get in as many friendlies as possible. Seriously, I'll probably freak out during the matches (I get nervous whenever I do anything thats imporant, including tests) but hopefully that will decrease as I go to more tournaments.

Gl Joe!, all you need to focus on is getting as many friendlies with as many different characters as possible. This is your first competitive tournament so you dont need to focus on placing well. Your main goal should be to gain as much experience as possible. You're gunna get your *** handed to you no doubt, but youll also learn alot. Say hi to Anther for me & Let him know he owes me a rematch.
Lol, it looks like you put GI Joe instead of "good luck" Joe. :laugh: I'm dissapointed to hear that you aren't coming Legan, but I'll definately tell Anther about the rematch. >:)

i can almost guarantee you'll get tourney shakes, theres really no way around it. the only thing you can really do is play your hardest and learn from your mistakes. like legan said the more people you play the more matchup experience you'll gain and you'll learn the tricks and secrets of other characters.

as for playstyle during the tournament.....play extremely reserved. theres no need for you to go approaching anybody that can't out spam you. if your opponent is just chilling back trying to bait you, start raining bombs on his head. also stay calm when you're off the stage, DO NOT start recovering badly just because you think you'll be gimped or some **** and like always DI is a must.

GL homie, do work
Yeah, the tourney shakes will definately give me problems but I'll try my best nonetheless! Getting the match-up information will also help me with my guide... good deal. I planned on playing sort of adaptive, but defensive sounds like a good idea. This will be, after all, my first time playing a whole bunch of different characters and playing styles, so no need to get too flashy.

I'll do some work and rep us well! ( I hope :p)

Also get used to playing a lot of really long matches in a row. A problem I had in the tournament were people talking, maybe bring ear plugs, also get used to playing with ear plugs if you do decide to use them, and having three 6-7 minute long matches in a row. In one of those projectile fest it can get draining. Also you may have to be standing while your playing, so you might want to get used to standing while playing.
I don't mind a lot of noise in the backround, so the earplugs shouldn't be that big of a problem. As for long matches and standing up, I've done it before and it was a new experience, but nothing I can't handle.

Haha very nice NintenJoe. I'm gonna spend my November 1st playing some smash too. I'm going to a friendly tourney for Halloween with some of my friends. So do good man. Make us proud (btw, I'm going to start attending monthlies in the beginning of next year's semester (like after the summer)) And Metro, some tourneys have chairs lol So good luck, may the triforce help you.
Thanks Blu, good luck at your tournaments as well. I'm looking forward to seeing your first tournament debut as well. :)

Well, ive only been to one tourney ( the PnT NYC tourney on the 18th, only did doubles though) and im not gonna lie, you will get nervous, only if you seem to be losing. If that starts to happen to you, keep your cool, that's how a link is supposed to be anyway since you cant do anything stupid or you're f***. Just do your best, as others said before, get as much experience as you can, you're first tourney should be a memorable one.

Also, prepare to see ALOT of Meta knights XD
I've been getting prepared by writing the match-up for Meta Knight and hopefully that will help. None of my friends play MK, but I've been watching lots of videos to analyze his playing style and I've formulated some good counter-strategies. I pray that I won't get gimped too much. :laugh:

Thanks for all the support guys, it means a lot. Just 3 more days until tourney time... :)

Metro Knight

Smash Ace
I've been getting prepared by writing the match-up for Meta Knight and hopefully that will help. None of my friends play MK, but I've been watching lots of videos to analyze his playing style and I've formulated some good counter-strategies. I pray that I won't get gimped too much.
Might want to ask Finns7 about this if you haven't. If his brother plays MK, then he might have a plethora of information about this match-up.

4Serial

Smash Lord
first tournaments are amazing
yeah, like legan said, if it's your first tournament, you're gonna get ***** lol it happens for everyone
don't take it the wrong way and see it as a learning experience that will motivate you to get better :)
it's a good way to get active in your community
and screw wifi

Wafflez

Smash Journeyman
Good luck, Nintenjoe! I'll be rooting for you!

Not that I'll be attending or anything.

Show them what Link is made of, hope you have fun, and I hope you kick some ***. I wish I could give you some advice, but I've never attended a tournament, and I'm not exactly good enough to give you playstyle advice.

So try this:
Walk into the tournament wearing all your clothes inside out and your hair messed up, scream gibberish everywhere you go. Play with the controller upside down and constantly bite at thin air while playing. The opponent will be so baffled/paralyzed by laughter that he won't be able to do anything, in which case you straighten up breifly and knock them off the stage.

Mindgames aren't just IN the game, you know. =P

But in all seriousness, hope you have fun and I hope it goes well! Be sure to tell us all what went down after the tourny ends.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Walk into the tournament wearing all your clothes inside out and your hair messed up, scream gibberish everywhere you go. Play with the controller upside down and constantly bite at thin air while playing. The opponent will be so baffled/paralyzed by laughter that he won't be able to do anything, in which case you straighten up breifly and knock them off the stage.

Mindgames aren't just IN the game, you know. =P
I lol'd. That is too good. I'm gonna try that next time I play. (Just the biting thing.) I'll do Bowser's side taunt when I get a kill, slobber and all.

Finns7

Smash Ace
Dont make Link banned yet, that is my Destiny...No seriously tourney shakes will slowy start to go away when you gain confidence in your match....gl

ArdeS

Smash Journeyman
All of this reminds me of my first-ever tournament match. It was against one of the best Dededes in SoCal. Not surprisingly, I got 3-stocked twice. What's sad is I didn't know there was a loser's bracket so my friends and I immediately went home sad after I lost that match and got disqualified! :laugh:

❀W.E.M.P.❀

Mote Of Dust
No real advice when actually playing, but like you I am fine with there being as much noise as possible. One thing you need to watch, and for me it took some time, is to keep your own voice down when not playing. it bothers a lot of players ( even seasoned ones ). You may be quite idk, but i remember my first tournie I didn't get shakes, or nervous, I just got such an adrenalin rush I became loud, haha.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
I recommend bringing music.

It helps calm the nerves. I usually do better with headphones.

Bring a towel in case you get sweaty hand syndrome.

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
I recommend bringing music.

It helps calm the nerves. I usually do better with headphones.

Bring a towel in case you get sweaty hand syndrome.
zomg, swordplay, if you aren't too busy you should come, especially if you'll be in town for the weekend. :)

And thanks for the advice, but I find that music distacts me and I go into auto pilot and space out. :laugh:

SuSa

Banned via Administration
You will get nervous, and being nervous will make you mess up :p since this is your first tourney.

I remember my first tourney.. actually.. I remember my first 10-15 tourneys D: I was nervous in every single one.... but just try to calm down, think through your actions, Pick anywhere with a low ceiling to dair **** MK's (only advice vs MK, sorry xD)

Bringing music may screw up your gameplay though, if you're anything like me and play by sounds.... I've noticed many people play by sound.

(Kirby can cancel his hammer if you time it right off an edge, I've gotten people to airdodge thinking I was using the hammer then I jumped Dair>Footstool>dair)

So be careful if your going to use music to calm you down :)

Take the time to use your own controls (if they let you, im sure they would...) because I tried playing with standard controls recently and found out I sucked D:

ArdeS

Smash Journeyman
I shared my first tourney experience with my 15-year-old brother and when he played a 11-year-old Sonic player he was almost at dripping point in sweat. His shirt was getting soaked and everything. It was disgusting. xD

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
WE LOVE YOU JOE!!!

Do us well.
And my post earlier was only to be funny by pointing out your own guide to you, but I failed. I fail at humor.

WE LOVE YOU JOE!!!

soccerdude7200

Smash Journeyman
I shared my first tourney experience with my 15-year-old brother and when he played a 11-year-old Sonic player he was almost at dripping point in sweat. His shirt was getting soaked and everything. It was disgusting. xD
lololololololol

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
ewwwww :laugh:

My palms sweat, but thats all. My body doesn't sweat unless I'm doing something physical. That must have been pretty embarrasing for your brother. Hopefully he won the match. :laugh:

Metro Knight

Smash Ace
I get pretty sweaty palms. If I am playing Smash or any game with a mouse it gets kinda icky, my brother always freaks out, lol.

Top Bottom