• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BC Melee Rankings: Late Fall 2012

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
HAHAHAHAH wow

K I had the most ****ed up dream last night

I was having breakfast with Atropos. Yeah, Bane Elemental, the brain sapping nightmare guy from dota.
Except his voice was like a girls, Brit Spears or something...
He's was telling me about going to Calgary to get 'its' nails done...

>_>

booshk

Smash Lord
seriously point system?

point systems so gay!

i'd rather everyone come to a somewhat mutual agreement on the panelist.

Patooty

Smash Ace
Guys who've been here for a while - you should've remembered that the points system had been tried and failed. Nobody's able to agree on criteria for points (larger scale tournaments should be worth more? OOS players? What constitutes a tournament? etc...).

And that's considering that people WANT a points system.

I'm fine with either the way we've been doing it, or a points system (where there's a large consensus on points distribution of course.)

-------------------------

Some thoughts on points distribution:

Any spot past a certain point loses a LOT of it's accuracy - this depends on how the tournament was run. ie. straight double elimination will give you a very accurate top 3, and a fairly accurate top 5, but then it starts to go to the shitter. Given this, we should have tiers of points.

Tier 1: 1st, 2nd, 3rd
Tier 2: 4th, 5th, 5th
Tier 3: Anyone else you want to give points to.

Or something to that effect. 1st could even be in it's own tier because it's arguably much more accurate than 2nd/3rd. Round robin into brackets would obviously change this.

Something else to take into consideration - instead of arbitrarily assigning:
1st - x points
2nd - y points
3rd - z points
etc...
We need to consider: How much is first worth in comparison to the other spots. So if Tony wins a tournament, and then misses the next one, but Eric gets 2nd in both, should Eric be ahead? And by how much? This consideration needs to go all the way down to the lowest point distributed.
"How many times must I place 5th to have the equivalent value of one 1st placing?"
And since we're going that far, we shouldn't just have everything relative to first. Everything needs to be relative to everything.
"How many times must I place 5th to have the equivalent value of one 2nd placing?"
"How many times must I place 5th to have the equivalent value of one 3rd placing?"
"How many times must I place 5th to have the equivalent value of one 4th placing?"

A good points system is hard... if a large consensus can't be made, a points system is useless.

Hitsugaya

Smash Ace
Good luck trying to get someone to calculate all the points every single tourney cause im sure that no one wants to do it and when someone comes up and says they will do it, its going to drop after the 3rd one or so. And soon it will come to a point where its impossible for someone to get into a spot if they are up and coming.

Bwmat

Smash Ace
The fairest thing would probably be to have round robins every once in a while with everyone who's 'qualified' to be on PR.

Not really practical though.

Diakonos

Smash Lord
I have a better idea. How about I DECIDE since my pikachu won lowtiers?

1. dieslow
2. manuel
3. eric
4. john
5. sion
6. ryan
7. tiep
8. adam
9. roby
10. daltsy

Anticipated arguments
- EXCUSE ME HOW DARE YOU KEEP JOHN ON THERE HE'S NEVER THERE. Respone: you're silly. John is here, and he is good, and he gives Eric a run for his money, likely beats others outside of top 3, and he just about always wins doubles.

- UMMM YOU THINK FALCO CAN JUST DO DAIR ALL THE TIME AND BE FIFTH? Response: yes, I do. Sion has been placing very well these past few tournaments (3rd and 2nd) and frankly, I had less than an easy time against him. Eric has had increasing amounts of trouble against him, and I am actually expecting him to beat Tony next time they play.

- RYAN AND TIEP ARE SO GOOD. Response: yes, they are. But given recent performance (given the scope of attendance), it seems unjust to put the above anyone already listed. It's not that they are 6th and 7th rank players, it's that the ones mentioned above have been earning it.

- ROBY IS MOAR EXTREME THAN ADAM. Response: and less consistent, (and that's saying something). I can easily see roby rising up if he continues to play well.

- OKANAGAN? Dynamism, I haven't seen much from Tim lately, and when I did, he didn't do as well as he had wanted. He is good and PR worthy though.

booshk

Smash Lord
lol i knew manuel would come and save the day.

now go study ur organic chem NIKKUHHHhh

Diakonos

Smash Lord
LOL I have been man.

Can I hear from Patooty, Bluntedobject, and dieslow regarding the postulated list?

Patooty

Smash Ace
I think that list is pretty good Manuel... I got tired of all the way-overhyped (sometimes obviously sometimes not) exaggerated things some people were posting so I just stopped trying to fight it as it obviously wasn't being considered anyways, but I like your list.

Some points of possible contention:

Sion vs Ryan:
I still think Ryan is ahead but unfortunately nobody plays these two enough to be a good enough judge for both players. Sion and Ryan would probably know better than any panelist where they stand, and they definitely both understand enough about the game to speak for themselves. If it were up to me, I would leave it up to them.

Also, realistically speaking about Sion's placing in the most recent tournament - I think it's safe to say he was expected to place at least 3rd, that would be his "par". Not doing so would be a detriment to his performance. He placed 2nd which is good, but seems very skewed when you present it in a plain and simple manner. His 3rd placing in the tournament before this one was a bigger accomplishment IMO. However it does still show that he's consistent/improving.

Sion vs Me:
Sion beat me once... other than that he does better against Eric..... I'm fine with him being above me.

Tim vs Roby vs Adam:
Just based on personal opinion I think it goes Tim, Roby, Adam. I think Roby's good but I haven't seen him at many tournaments, and because of this I'm fine with Adam being above. And for me, facing Tim is like killing kittens... I can do it... sometimes.....:urg:

Finally, just cause I said "I'm fine with x" doesn't mean "go ahead and put x", it's just so you know how concrete I think something is. So anyways, those were my thoughts, here's my list:

1. dieslow
2. manuel
3. eric
4. john
5. ryan
6. sion
7. tiep
8. tim
9. roby
10. adam

Blunted_object10

Smash Master
I have a better idea. How about I DECIDE since my pikachu won lowtiers?

1. dieslow
2. manuel
3. eric
4. john
5. sion
6. ryan
7. tiep
8. adam
9. roby
10. daltsy

Anticipated arguments
- EXCUSE ME HOW DARE YOU KEEP JOHN ON THERE HE'S NEVER THERE. Respone: you're silly. John is here, and he is good, and he gives Eric a run for his money, likely beats others outside of top 3, and he just about always wins doubles.

- UMMM YOU THINK FALCO CAN JUST DO DAIR ALL THE TIME AND BE FIFTH? Response: yes, I do. Sion has been placing very well these past few tournaments (3rd and 2nd) and frankly, I had less than an easy time against him. Eric has had increasing amounts of trouble against him, and I am actually expecting him to beat Tony next time they play.

- RYAN AND TIEP ARE SO GOOD. Response: yes, they are. But given recent performance (given the scope of attendance), it seems unjust to put the above anyone already listed. It's not that they are 6th and 7th rank players, it's that the ones mentioned above have been earning it.

- ROBY IS MOAR EXTREME THAN ADAM. Response: and less consistent, (and that's saying something). I can easily see roby rising up if he continues to play well.

- OKANAGAN? Dynamism, I haven't seen much from Tim lately, and when I did, he didn't do as well as he had wanted. He is good and PR worthy though.
I approve. Good list Manuel.

You guys should just take me off the panellist I'm not very good at placing people on the PR lists and don't take careful consideration of where to put people..

So yea please take me off the panellst and put someone like... Adam on or something..

Sion

Island of Horizon
me vs ryan is tough nowadays
in the tournament i played him, he beat me convincingly in winner's bracket, given that i'm not good at adapting quickly. in loser's bracket, i was given a second chance at him with more pressure so it was better for me, not to mention i had many games to get used to ryan. i'd give ryan that spot if people still feel i'm not there yet; i don't mind. i just know the gap isn't as big as it used to be.. and that's more than enough for me.

i haven't seen enough out of tim or played him enough, so it's really hard to gauge his skill level as of now. it's better to ask roby/adam what happens between them and tim.

i'm not sure if i deal with tony or eric better than anyone on the pr, but i'll do my best.

Patooty

Smash Ace
So yea please take me off the panellst and put someone like... Adam on or something..
IMO if Adam should be a panelist again, he needs start making more constructive posts and to stop making "SION FOR 1ST!" and "I'LL BEAT ANYONE" type posts. It's hard to know when he's serious sometimes.

Good spirit is good for getting better...
Realism is good for the PR.

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
K Sexy times

ALL of the Okanagan was in ONE house at the SAME TIME for the FIRST TIME EVER

Jamie, Ben, Kaelen, Chris, AJ, Kris, Dave, Tim and me ALL at the same place.

SOOOO GOOOOOD!!!
<3

9 people, yeah, we've got a HUGE community up here >_> <_<

Huge community spirit anyway ;)

LOL that's a good way of putting it.
I think BC has LOTS of good spirit and that's why so many people on the improving will keep improving and more will join them. At the same time, it makes PR silly to think of since it fluctuates so much over so short a time that it becomes almost impossible to make anything accurate that will stay accurate for any significant length of time.

As BC has too many good spirited players getting good often and fast. Realism? PFFFT
Who needs to be real when you can hype each other and discuss how many people should be 1st and are awesome.

I guess the little bit of realism there is among the best players comes from you/manuel etc.
GET BROWN TOWN OUTA HERE!
LOL <3 Brown Bros
Too good spirited, they CANNOT BE STOPPED!!!
(does spirited of 2 t's or 1 t? LOL)

Dynamism, I haven't seen much from Tim lately, and when I did, he didn't do as well as he had wanted. He is good and PR worthy though.
I like how you address me! LOL
:D
<3 my Okanaganoobz

Last tourney Dalts went to, he got 5th (all the PR was there too). He was really close against Tony in his last set too.
The next time he was there, he played few people but Eric was the only one 'better' than him in that visit of those he played (including peeps you put above him)

That doesn't matter though ^ (long time ago) :\

1 weekend/day can mean nothing and aside from a few times, he's not around enough to play you Van guys to make an accurate rank on anyway. Nor is anyone else from the Valley or Island.

Hence, I really don't care if he's higher or lower than I would argue for him. I'll argue for him for the sake of being a local to the Valley/my teamziez and first smash aquaintance/I don't like how OOVaners don't get enough credit for being good/Daltsy being supah cute.

Either way, it'll be innaccurate from everyone's view on how good such innactive a PR worthy player would be in terms of how much time is played against the other PR worthy players. It doesn't really matter what we think, I know I don't know and I know nobody else does. (You say it yourselves LOL)

BC is so good and improves so much in short bursts and it changes so often, it really doesn't matter. Okanagan/Victoria is practically OOS anyway, just not quite OOS and more like a baby bro to Van. LOL

Pretty much the ONLY reason I 'actually' like arguing for OOVan players is the fact that, not only are they FREAKIN GOOD!, but BC is FREAKIN GOOD!, and BC =/= Vancouver.
BC's main course is Vancouver, with an appy of Okanagan Valley and a beverage of Victory Island.
I just don't want Van to forget that the rest of their province is good too, despite how good the 'core/central' group of you is.
That's all really, anything is fine by me PR wise for OOVan BCers. <3
:)

Edit: Also, I like both lists from you 2

I like Tieps more because I think Ryan and Tim are that good. His reasons were pretty much my thoughts from a more 'inside persons' view.

Diakonos

Smash Lord
I think that list is pretty good Manuel... I got tired of all the way-overhyped (sometimes obviously sometimes not) exaggerated things some people were posting so I just stopped trying to fight it as it obviously wasn't being considered anyways, but I like your list.

Some points of possible contention:

Sion vs Ryan:
I still think Ryan is ahead but unfortunately nobody plays these two enough to be a good enough judge for both players. Sion and Ryan would probably know better than any panelist where they stand, and they definitely both understand enough about the game to speak for themselves. If it were up to me, I would leave it up to them.

Also, realistically speaking about Sion's placing in the most recent tournament - I think it's safe to say he was expected to place at least 3rd, that would be his "par". Not doing so would be a detriment to his performance. He placed 2nd which is good, but seems very skewed when you present it in a plain and simple manner. His 3rd placing in the tournament before this one was a bigger accomplishment IMO. However it does still show that he's consistent/improving.

Sion vs Me:
Sion beat me once... other than that he does better against Eric..... I'm fine with him being above me.

Tim vs Roby vs Adam:
Just based on personal opinion I think it goes Tim, Roby, Adam. I think Roby's good but I haven't seen him at many tournaments, and because of this I'm fine with Adam being above. And for me, facing Tim is like killing kittens... I can do it... sometimes.....:urg:

Finally, just cause I said "I'm fine with x" doesn't mean "go ahead and put x", it's just so you know how concrete I think something is. So anyways, those were my thoughts, here's my list:

1. dieslow
2. manuel
3. eric
4. john
5. ryan
6. sion
7. tiep
8. tim
9. roby
10. adam
Thanks for your input, Tiep. I had trouble with those points of contention, too. For that reason, I decided it's best to let recent tournament performance be the match-breaker, and if I do that, I give the benefit of the doubt to Sion over Ryan and yourself.

I'm less concrete about Tim/Adam/Roby, but I HAVE seen enough of Adam to get the impression that he would often out-perform the other two. Roby did well this tournament, but IIRC he hasn't done well before that. I also hear he's being doing decently in stats though. I kinda prefer my list because it's consistent with what I've noticed in tournament, whatever my personal impressions may be.

Am I good to update this thang tomorrow?

K Sexy times

ALL of the Okanagan was in ONE house at the SAME TIME for the FIRST TIME EVER

Jamie, Ben, Kaelen, Chris, AJ, Kris, Dave, Tim and me ALL at the same place.

SOOOO GOOOOOD!!!
<3

9 people, yeah, we've got a HUGE community up here >_> <_<

Huge community spirit anyway ;)

LOL that's a good way of putting it.
I think BC has LOTS of good spirit and that's why so many people on the improving will keep improving and more will join them. At the same time, it makes PR silly to think of since it fluctuates so much over so short a time that it becomes almost impossible to make anything accurate that will stay accurate for any significant length of time.

As BC has too many good spirited players getting good often and fast. Realism? PFFFT
Who needs to be real when you can hype each other and discuss how many people should be 1st and are awesome.

I guess the little bit of realism there is among the best players comes from you/manuel etc.
GET BROWN TOWN OUTA HERE!
LOL <3 Brown Bros
Too good spirited, they CANNOT BE STOPPED!!!
(does spirited of 2 t's or 1 t? LOL)

I like how you address me! LOL
:D
<3 my Okanaganoobz

Last tourney Dalts went to, he got 5th (all the PR was there too). He was really close against Tony in his last set too.
The next time he was there, he played few people but Eric was the only one 'better' than him in that visit of those he played (including peeps you put above him)

That doesn't matter though ^ (long time ago) :\

1 weekend/day can mean nothing and aside from a few times, he's not around enough to play you Van guys to make an accurate rank on anyway. Nor is anyone else from the Valley or Island.

Hence, I really don't care if he's higher or lower than I would argue for him. I'll argue for him for the sake of being a local to the Valley/my teamziez and first smash aquaintance/I don't like how OOVaners don't get enough credit for being good/Daltsy being supah cute.

Either way, it'll be innaccurate from everyone's view on how good such innactive a PR worthy player would be in terms of how much time is played against the other PR worthy players. It doesn't really matter what we think, I know I don't know and I know nobody else does. (You say it yourselves LOL)

BC is so good and improves so much in short bursts and it changes so often, it really doesn't matter. Okanagan/Victoria is practically OOS anyway, just not quite OOS and more like a baby bro to Van. LOL

Pretty much the ONLY reason I 'actually' like arguing for OOVan players is the fact that, not only are they FREAKIN GOOD!, but BC is FREAKIN GOOD!, and BC =/= Vancouver.
BC's main course is Vancouver, with an appy of Okanagan Valley and a beverage of Victory Island.
I just don't want Van to forget that the rest of their province is good too, despite how good the 'core/central' group of you is.
That's all really, anything is fine by me PR wise for OOVan BCers. <3
:)

Edit: Also, I like both lists from you 2

I like Tieps more because I think Ryan and Tim are that good. His reasons were pretty much my thoughts from a more 'inside persons' view.
Thanks for your input Dynamism. We do put your thoughts to consideration. I just find it difficult to filter through your fanboyness sometimes. I don't forget that you guys are good outside of lower mainland, too!

xXx-NoobKing-xXx

Smash Hero
IMO if Adam should be a panelist again, he needs start making more constructive posts and to stop making "SION FOR 1ST!" and "I'LL BEAT ANYONE" type posts. It's hard to know when he's serious sometimes.

I joke around about 90% of the time. However, I am fully capable of rash decision making and conversation :)

SpaceFalcon

Smash Lord
Hahha really 9th? ...

Pretty sure I've had close sets (like last match, last stock) or even wins with EVERYONE on the list in all my tourney sets/MM's.

sure, I'll just **** un-suspecting OOS players in mm's when they think their playing some scrub but it's someone who's actually like 5th or 6th. =)

thank you panelists, you inspire me with motivation.

Hitsugaya

Smash Ace
My quick list.

1. Tony
2. Manuel
3. Eric
4. John
5. Ryan
6. Sion
7. Tiep
8. Roby
9. Tim
10. Adam

If I were to combine for either or placings.

4th/5th - John/Ryan
5th/6th Ryan/Sion
7th/8th Tiep/Roby

Ryan/Sion because they are both just so different and its difficult to tell who is better. Sion is improving though a lot.

Tiep/Roby both are good players and strong at what they do I have trouble against both of them about the same.

Roby and Tiep both above Adam because Adam is bad at these "rash" decisions. He has spent hours and probably days trying to figure out how to beat my sheik and then I pull out Peach on him and he is confused. He then trys to counter pick me at Corneria where I go fox and he changes to Falcon in theory counterpicking himself. So yeah.

SpaceFalcon

Smash Lord
He has spent hours and probably days trying to figure out how to beat my sheik and then I pull out Peach on him and he is confused. He then trys to counter pick me at Corneria where I go fox and he changes to Falcon in theory counterpicking himself.
HAHA john that was the funniest post I've ever read. No offense adam, but it was funny lol

SpaceFalcon

Smash Lord
I'll host smashfests for like 10 people, but until my garage is ready one of these years I wont make tournaments.

xXx-NoobKing-xXx

Smash Hero
I just got *****. I suppose using the words "rash" and "decision making" in the same sentence didn't help. I was inebriated when I made that post last night. John, even I laughed a bit at your post. for the record, you don't know how good i am because I've never played good around you.

The only people who know how good I am are Eric, Manuel, Roby, Tim, and maybe a few others. Now I'm not using this as an argument for me to be placed higher, I am just stating a simple fact.

SpaceFalcon

Smash Lord
I just got *****. I suppose using the words "rash" and "decision making" in the same sentence didn't help. I was inebriated when I made that post last night. John, even I laughed a bit at your post. for the record, you don't know how good i am because I've never played good around you.

The only people who know how good I am are Eric, Manuel, Roby, Tim, and maybe a few others. Now I'm not using this as an argument for me to be placed higher, I am just stating a simple fact.
True.. but I could say the same thing. And it's frustrating trust me I know, nothing worse then wasted potential, seriously.

But think about it, Tony could say that to, he only plays at tournaments and could play even better if he was more active. And tiep/ryan are the same. You can be gifted all you want at anything, it wont mean squat unless you can transform super saiyan at will. :)

Diakonos

Smash Lord
I won't update without consensus, of course.

Frankly, Tiep and John, I think if you guys had seen Sion at the last tournament, I think the doubt from your mind regarding Sion/Ryan would be wiped clear. Truth be told, I think Sion is now a contender for 4th, and that's not something I can say about Cowear. It's unfortunate that Tony also missed last tournament; it makes it harder to judge for you guys regarding Sion.

If you guys are pretty sure Ryan is that good (he didn't do swell last tournament he went to... but Sion did), I could be outnumbered and I don't think the skill gap is so huge that I would complain. I could put Ryan above Sion for the sake of unanimity, but prepared to be surprised next tournament ;).

I think Eric would agree with me that Adam should be above Tim and Roby. It's not like a big difference anymore, but Adam is good, guys. I'm still up for discussion regarding this.

Patooty

Smash Ace
The thing with Sion's playstyle is that no matter what he pulls off, it looks like ****. It's not like I've never seen Sion **** before.....

Consider Tony's Falcon vs Adam's Falcon. Tony can d-throw->victory against Adam, and Adam doesn't know what to do. He is essentially out of options for what he thinks is possible to do. That is also **** - it just doesn't present itself as such.

Top Bottom