• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BC Melee Rankings: Late Fall 2012

Yakal

Torquasm-Rao
will ***** so hard

James, we didn't take a single game off col bol and lambchops, and you were playing like **** at Genesis doubles.
aha lib telling b*tchez how it isss

edit: have you guy ever noticed that tim look like falco? lol just tim hopping and tweeting like a bird lmfao

xXx-NoobKing-xXx

Smash Hero
adam come back you forgot your phone charger at my house lol
I don't see how I'm gunna be able to make it out there any time soon due to lack of $. However, if maybe you could mail it to me that would be great. I'll PM you and full mailing address within a week or so.

I think I have a good shot at making it on the PR. :crazy:
Chris? that you?

xXx-NoobKing-xXx

Smash Hero
adam come back you forgot your phone charger at my house lol
I don't see how I'm gunna be able to make it out there any time soon due to lack of $. However, if maybe you could mail it to me that would be great. I'll PM you and full mailing address within a week or so.

I think I have a good shot at making it on the PR. :crazy:
Chris? that you?

If it is, I gotta tell you, BC has improved so much. I would occassionally lose to just about everyone on the PR at this point.

If you're shooting for PR, you'll have to up your game from what I last saw. But I believe in you.

SpaceFalcon

Smash Lord
Is this thing ever getting updated? are you all waiting for some big tourney, cause I thought it would change after erics tourney.

Diakonos

Smash Lord
I want to update it as we said we would.

We are contending top 3 placings.

My list is

Eric
Manuel
Dieslow
John
Ryan
Tiep
Tim/Sion
Tim/Sion
Evan
Yakal

No one bothered addressing my previous post, so I guess y'all must either agree or have no good argument? =P

Get@Will

Smash Champion
How often is the PR updated anyways? From what I've heard, Adam's been taken off the PR but when I check he's in 6th? LOL?

Sion

Island of Horizon
How often is the PR updated anyways? From what I've heard, Adam's been taken off the PR but when I check he's in 6th? LOL?
That avatar seems familiar....

On topic, it's been decided by Erc that we update the PR seasonally, meaning we update the pr for every new season. At least that's what I've heard.

Harrisburg

Smash Journeyman
I want to update it as we said we would.

We are contending top 3 placings.

My list is

Eric
Manuel
Dieslow
John
Ryan
Tiep
Tim/Sion
Tim/Sion
Evan
Yakal

No one bothered addressing my previous post, so I guess y'all must either agree or have no good argument? =P
everyone already posted what they think on everything -.-

i dont think you read them clearly enough, i dont think theres agreements on that list
everybody should post their own list one more time, without reasonings. just post a list, cause everyones already posted their reasonings.

my list is

tony
eric
manuel
ryan
tiep
john
sion
tim
evan
yakal

Diakonos

Smash Lord
everyone already posted what they think on everything -.-

i dont think you read them clearly enough, i dont think theres agreements on that list
everybody should post their own list one more time, without reasonings. just post a list, cause everyones already posted their reasonings.

my list is

tony
eric
manuel
ryan
tiep
john
sion
tim
evan
yakal
Yes guys, forget reasoning. What good has that ever done us?

Yes, people have posted some of their thought already. However, some people are wiling to change their opinions on the basis of what others have posted. So, something John wrote earlier might have changed my mind about something or brought insight, so it makes sense to post reasoning.

I cannot comprehend how, if we're going by the criteria on the front page, people are giving such lists. If we want to change the front page to say:

"The list represents our subjective view of how good we think people are, not really only tournament performance. It's who I'd rather not play, not who actually performs better.

Friendlies are just as important, since impression is everything.

Play style counters exist, but we are going to pretend they don't."

Then I agree with your list.

Sorry, I guess that comes off as kinda bratty. I can't honestly put John at sixth, considering he just about always takes 1st in doubles. He beat Eric last tournament, and Tony the tournament prior. Only recently did Tiep place well, and that's reflected on my list. Even Sion had placed better for like the 3 tournaments prior. Yet we place him here above John? Are you for cereal?

;P It blows my mind.

Yakal

Torquasm-Rao
William, your avatar mindgamed me so hardcore

also this is what I think...

Eric
Manuel
Dieslow
John
Ryan
Tiep
Sion
Tim
Evan
Myself

I feel that sion gives me a harder time than tim, but I think that's only because sion plays way too offensive =P

yaaaah gogogogogogogogogo

dieslow

Smash Ace
1. me (top 3 pretty close )
2. eric
3. manuel
4. ryan
5. john (close with tiep)
6. tiep (close with john)
7. sion (just because of tourney results)
8. daltsy
9. evan
10. adam (lol)

my list is weighted more by Skill + Consistency than actual results. **** happens.

if the PR is based purely on tourney results, why do we even need panelists? we're fiyad.

Patooty

Smash Ace
Yes guys, forget reasoning. What good has that ever done us?

Yes, people have posted some of their thought already. However, some people are wiling to change their opinions on the basis of what others have posted. So, something John wrote earlier might have changed my mind about something or brought insight, so it makes sense to post reasoning.

I cannot comprehend how, if we're going by the criteria on the front page, people are giving such lists. If we want to change the front page to say:

"The list represents our subjective view of how good we think people are, not really only tournament performance. It's who I'd rather not play, not who actually performs better.

Friendlies are just as important, since impression is everything.

Play style counters exist, but we are going to pretend they don't."

Then I agree with your list.

Sorry, I guess that comes off as kinda bratty. I can't honestly put John at sixth, considering he just about always takes 1st in doubles. He beat Eric last tournament, and Tony the tournament prior. Only recently did Tiep place well, and that's reflected on my list. Even Sion had placed better for like the 3 tournaments prior. Yet we place him here above John? Are you for cereal?

;P It blows my mind.

Sometimes Ryan isn't the most articulate person, so excuse me if it seems like at times I'm speaking for him (I'm actually not, I just share the same opinion at this point).

First off, what he meant to say is that we should post lists without reasoning as to make things as clear as possible. As long as you post list + reasoning you will have discussion. Discussion means, as you've previously stated, people may possibly change their minds. People changing their minds means more list and discussion. This is good.... up to a point. There must be an endpoint.

As for the front page, I'll say bluntly now, that people don't follow (nor should they have to) the front page criteria. The criteria should reflect how we update the PR, not the other way around. We shouldn't update based on some arbitrary rules that people may or may not agree with anymore. Maybe the criteria should be updated.

I can't comprehend how someone could assume that non-disagreement = agreement. If anything, silence should mean that nobody has changed their minds. If someone changed their mind, I think they would be wanting to speak up to correct themselves. I haven't changed my mind, and thus I had nothing to say. Also, their HAS been much discussion since your last post. Maybe nobody addressed your points specifically, but many of the points of your post were discussed (eg. teams, tourney performance not being everything). If there is something in particular you feel needs to be raised again because it needs discussion, please feel free to do so. Non-discussion of a point does not indicate agreement with it.

My list still remains as the middle-ground list Eric posted before.

1. Dieslow
2. Blunted_Object10
3. Diakonos
4. CowEar
5. Hitsugaya
6. Patooty
7. Sion
8. Daltsy
9. Evan
10. Howard

Edit: Grammar mistakes

xXx-NoobKing-xXx

Smash Hero
2. eric
3. manuel
4. ryan
8. daltsy
9. evan
10. adam (lol)

my list is weighted more by Skill + Consistency than actual results. **** happens.

if the PR is based purely on tourney results, why do we even need panelists? we're fiyad.
lol, tony. When I have the time and availability to play regularly I'll make that known to people. Until then, I don't like to be discredited as a player by such a thing. Even though it's a joke, I just want everyone to know that I DO NOT want to be on the latest update. Just consider me too inactive to make the list, for now.

:)

Also, get@will !

jhim

Smash Cadet
lol everyone who came to SFU Surrey is making such a big deal about Will XD well he ***** me so i guess i cant say much tho... If he went to a few tournaments would he also b considered for the PR?

Diakonos

Smash Lord

Eric
Manuel
Dieslow
John
Ryan
Tiep
Sion
Tim
Evan
Myself

I feel that sion gives me a harder time than tim, but I think that's only because sion plays way too offensive =P

That's my list exactly. Copypasta?

2. eric
3. manuel
4. ryan
8. daltsy
9. evan
10. adam (lol)

Thanks for your input man. I would hope that your list is weighted by "skill". My only query is what you're basing that off? It seems like we are in the habit of basing skill off who we want to play or don't want to play, or who gives us a harder time. This gives rise to a new set of complications like playstyle counters. However, if we WANT to judge using this type of criteria, I have no problem with it: I just ask that we make it explicit in our criteria on the front page. Con't on Tiep's post.

Regarding your "what's the point of panelists" argument, I would suggest to you that raw data of itself means nothing. There needs to be someone who interprets the data. So, it's up to the panelists to weight tournament results or to put thought into it-- not only mechanically putting in numbers.

Sometimes Ryan isn't the most articulate person, so excuse me if it seems like at times I'm speaking for him (I'm actually not, I just share the same opinion at this point).

First off, what he meant to say is that we should post lists without reasoning as to make things as clear as possible. As long as you post list + reasoning you will have discussion. Discussion means, as you've previously stated, people may possibly change their minds. People changing their minds means more list and discussion. This is good.... up to a point. There must be an endpoint.
That's true man. I actually still had hope that more productive conversation would continue-- especially after John, Dynamism, and I added a few more points. I didn't want to pull the plug on meaningful conversation.

As for the front page, I'll say bluntly now, that people don't follow (nor should they have to) the front page criteria. The criteria should reflect how we update the PR, not the other way around. We shouldn't update based on some arbitrary rules that people may or may not agree with anymore. Maybe the criteria should be updated.
I think it's a shame that we aren't going by the front page criteria.

Parallel: We are playing a sport. The game ends, and it turns out that using whatever rules we had, you had won. Could I then say, actually, these are the rules, and so I win? It doesn't make sense to change the rules in the middle of the game. When I posted the criteria when I made this thread, I asked for additions or deletions, but everyone seemed to agree with it. I had no complaints.

Now, if we really want to change the front page, that's FINE. But then let's not say that we're using tournament results to update PR. Let's agree that we're using our subjective interpretations of a player's "skill". Let's say the best player is the one who we'd rather not play in comparison to the 2nd best. Let's say that consistency means consistency within the last whatever random time range we choose. I think we can change it. But as it stands, we play by the rules we set before we started the game, not during.

I can't comprehend how someone could assume that non-disagreement = agreement. If anything, silence should mean that nobody has changed their minds. If someone changed their mind, I think they would be wanting to speak up to correct themselves. I haven't changed my mind, and thus I had nothing to say. Also, their HAS been much discussion since your last post. Maybe nobody addressed your points specifically, but many of the points of your post were discussed (eg. teams, tourney performance not being everything). If there is something in particular you feel needs to be raised again because it needs discussion, please feel free to do so. Non-discussion of a point does not indicate agreement with it.
Of course man. That was a joke, thus the ":p" after it. I simply didn't want to cut anyone short of sharing their ideas. In real-time social discussion, silence is easily observed. Over the internet, discussion is not real time so I cannot assume "silence". Perhaps I should have then asked if anyone had anything to add.

My list still remains as the middle-ground list Eric posted before.

Edit: Grammar mistakes
Noted, thank you.

Blunted_object10

Smash Master

Eric
Manuel
Dieslow
John
Ryan
Tiep
Sion
Tim
Evan
Myself

Agreed .

Let us go meet up over a cup of coffee sometime down at the ol Starbucks in that city called Vancouver to have an intelligent conversation about the PR and talking about our lives perhaps.

Top Bottom