• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BC Melee Rankings: Late Fall 2012

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
I love Manuel's ****-talk because it's all 100% legit. And then he realizes he's Canadian and apologizes half a minute later.

*****es don't know about FIRE DIAKONOS EMBLEM MANLI MANUEL PRYDE

edit: MANNY

xXx-NoobKing-xXx

Smash Hero
Real talk though. my attempts to improve in this game have been little to none over the past 3-4 years. I've gotten inherently better at a few things just from playing. however, this game is nothing more than a hobby for me; and not one that I've been striving to improve in for quite some time. you can say whatever you want Manuel. when I cared about this game, I was pretty high level with a pretty ****ty character.

I'm competitive by nature which kinda sucks. but its the kinds of posts like the one you made that sparked all of this that just make me want to quit the game and disconnect myself from the community.

:phone:

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
Actually toph, it was a post made in the bc thread. way to get involved in something that doesn't concern you in the least though.

You definitely rekindled it in this thread. Especially considering he had a concrete and constructive criticism and all you had to say to him was "you're terrible." If you're gonna call someone terrible, even if half-jokingly, have the balls to continue the argument without suddenly backing out and playing the "I'm a sensitive old-timer" card out of nowhere.

In other words, if you can't take it, don't dish it out.

Edit: And please don't try to construe this as me beefing with you LOL, I have nothing but love for BC and everything in it except Liberate's Samus; I just feel like you argue with people and take **** personally too much. Like you probably read this post as an insult to you, which it isn't; I just think it's silly that you're getting so worked up over it. >_>

michael_li

Smash Ace
Too bad the post that "sparked all of this" was:
do you think your a humanitarian or some **** ?

toph it's none of your business man. why are you telling adam all this **** he already knows.. :S and why are you telling him whats right and wrong. like he gives a **** about your opinion.. i think he knows himself pretty ****ing well.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
do you think your a humanitarian or some **** ?

toph it's none of your business man. why are you telling adam all this **** he already knows.. :S and why are you telling him whats right and wrong. like he gives a **** about your opinion.. i think he knows himself pretty ****ing well.

LOL I knew you'd make this post.

Diakonos

Smash Lord
Real talk though. my attempts to improve in this game have been little to none over the past 3-4 years. I've gotten inherently better at a few things just from playing. however, this game is nothing more than a hobby for me; and not one that I've been striving to improve in for quite some time. you can say whatever you want Manuel. when I cared about this game, I was pretty high level with a pretty ****ty character.

I'm competitive by nature which kinda sucks. but its the kinds of posts like the one you made that sparked all of this that just make me want to quit the game and disconnect myself from the community.

Haha, I actually was just joking, in response to the "you're bad" post. Also, it gave me a rare opportunity to use the word "straggled".

Here's what I think is one problem for you, not only in smash, but in general: you are rightly aware that you have some natural talent. But it's not such prodigious talent that it will carry you without the discipline that the rest of us must exercise. You got a good end of the gene stick, but you overemphasize it to the exclusion of what people who are (more, or less) skilled than you do (i.e., work at things), and then you get frustrated when you don't perform to the level you expect you should. After all, you think, you're better than them -- why shouldn't you be doing better? You're smarter. Or you're better looking. Or you're funnier. Why should *they* get the girl? Or the job? Or the win? You see, you're talented, but you're not precocious; intelligent, but not genius; intuitive, but not insightful; charismatic, but not beguiling.

So when you do only better than mediocre, you are not justified in reducing others' performance or continuing to think you are superior. You are not justified in finding excuses, like the character you play. I called you out on it, and your pride was hurt. And the truth is I didn't mean to do that-- I'm sorry for it. But your response only suggested that you want to continue in that same train of mind. You will continue to do so unless you make a conscious decision to do otherwise.

So, I <3 you Adam Brown, but you must reassess your evaluation of your own potential before passing judgment on others or finding excuses for performing less than you are capable of.

michael_li

Smash Ace
Haha, I actually was just joking, in response to the "you're bad" post. Also, it gave me a rare opportunity to use the word "straggled".

Here's what I think is one problem for you, not only in smash, but in general: you are rightly aware that you have some natural talent. But it's not such prodigious talent that it will carry you without the discipline that the rest of us must exercise. You got a good end of the gene stick, but you overemphasize it to the exclusion of what people who are (more, or less) skilled than you do (i.e., work at things), and then you get frustrated when you don't perform to the level you expect you should. After all, you think, you're better than them -- why shouldn't you be doing better? You're smarter. Or you're better looking. Or you're funnier. Why should *they* get the girl? Or the job? Or the win? You see, you're talented, but you're not precocious; intelligent, but not genius; intuitive, but not insightful; charismatic, but not beguiling.

So when you do only better than mediocre, you are not justified in reducing others' performance or continuing to think you are superior. You are not justified in finding excuses, like the character you play. I called you out on it, and your pride was hurt. And the truth is I didn't mean to do that-- I'm sorry for it. But your response only suggested that you want to continue in that same train of mind. You will continue to do so unless you make a conscious decision to do otherwise.

So, I <3 you Adam Brown, but you must reassess your evaluation of your own potential before passing judgment on others or finding excuses for performing less than you are capable of.

Violence

Smash Lord
In other news...

Ammon really wants to come up and see us, particularly Adam and Eric Brown, before he returns to Hawaii(I think he goes back in December or January).

Also, I'll be at the Hold today to play magical cards. I won't forget to send out the tio file/bracket images, sorry again for the delay.

Stop by if you wanna melee today.

Violence

Smash Lord
TIO stuff sent, I sent bracket images this time just in case.

And yeah, I edited this earlier because I thought this was a bit presumptuous and I didn't want to come off as someone who claimed to know what was going on in Adam's life, but here's the jist of(EDIT: nm, it's a much longer version of) what I wrote.

I think Adam has been more abrasive lately due to the symptoms of long term withdrawl. He's in the process of turning his life around and with it comes a lot of stress and it's very easy for small frustrations to get blown out of proportion.

So yeah, I don't think there's any excuse for acting in this manner, and I'm pretty sure that Adam knows whenever he's being immature, but I also understand that it's probably because he's going through a lot of **** right now and we could stand to be a bit more understanding about it.

Manuel, I don't think Adam actually feels quite the way you described. He has his pride and ego, but I don't think he actively diminishes the accomplishments of his betters, especially not those that he has quite a bit of respect for, including you. His initial post about you being bad was probably a joke that was taken too far, and what followed was a bunch of frustrated posts that was most likely Adam blowing off steam that weren't meant to be taken seriously... and then they were.

And as for Adam reevaluating his potential and stopping his excuses, I think the fact that he's been sober for the past few months and has found a job to be an example of the fact that he's been doing just that lately.

I'm not really one to suggest that we all chill(since I'm usually the person bringing up complaints), but I think it's a good idea to get rid of stupid beef before we get mad at each other for reasons that started off as trivial.

So.... melee later this week?

Diakonos

Smash Lord
I'm not well informed enough to speak to Adam's present conditions. I can only speak to what I have noticed progressively in the last 7 years of knowing him.

I actually haven't taken any offence at all, since I know Adam jokes and vents frustrated jokes all the time. But I thought a few firexflamingxpryde comments might be funny, too. In any case, I'm happy to hear that Adam is doing well! And I certainly look forward to smashbrothering in December.

`dazrin

Smash Champion
Wtf is with all this drama--
Isn't this the ranking thread? lol

I think dieslow should be a bit higher on PR, and same with Yakal. Terror bird seriously needs to get on there as well.

--Both tony and yakal have placed very considerably over the last few tournaments, and it might be too early, but terrorbird is really making a splash as well if you look at recent results.

Top Bottom