• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BBR Weekly Character Discussion #31: Captain Falcon

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
I'm not sure.

I've incorporated down throw -> knee on Battlefield now. I've already stated it in another thread awhile back, but it's one of the best punishing setups possible on that stage. If they don't tech, they can get kneed during the bouncing animation or however they decide to get up; an attack, roll or normal stand up, all punishable by the knee.

If they DO tech, you can land a knee if you time it properly, but chances are they'll tech and hold in the shield. If you wait, you can let them waste their shield a bit then follow up with a knee when you think they're going to drop it. Even if it DOES hit their shield, it has a chance of pressuring them off the platform, so you can follow-up with something else.

It's a win-win setup.
A while back I summed up all percentages of all characters on which they would bounce on a platform on BF after certain throwsm with different ways of DI.

Not sure if I posted it, but I sure dont have the data anymore.

tl;dr: I agree.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
Yeah, I'm not 100% certain on the percents, but it just comes naturally to me in a match now depending on the match-ups. Pretty easy to calculate knockback by looking at their percents. I've done it at least 50+ times in the past few months, so it's definitely legit.

It probably differs within a 5% range depending if they DI toward or away from Falcon. Toward him, they'll go straight up, that's probably the lowest percent: maybe around 30-40% on most characters? Maybe even less on lighter characters. DIing away from him, if they do hit the platform, it'll probably take 5-10% more.

Difficult to really set the percentages in stone though, but you could always try to do it again if they don't hit. The staleness from using it once will make up for them having a higher percentage.

Player-3

Smash Hero
you should NEVER be guessing agaisnt any opponent with any character.

you should be conditioning, reading, looking for habits, all while playing defensive until you recognize their patterns.

then you punish.

no guessing.... EVER

except on wifi where you can spam falcon punch and win

Zeallyx

you should NEVER be guessing agaisnt any opponent with any character.

you should be conditioning, reading, looking for habits, all while playing defensive until you recognize their patterns.

then you punish.

no guessing.... EVER

except on wifi where you can spam falcon punch and win
Way to miss the point.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama

No matter what you do with Falcon, you're risking every possible negative outcome. Unless you're taunting nonstop in a match, in which case, you risk nothing. Build that morality.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Darky you can actually play safe as Falcon.

Uair can be Airdodge->punish'd

Plus outprioritized, outranged and power shield->punished.

So Yep.

10I'mright's
Uair is faster than airdodge, have you played the game since 2008 ?
And being unsafe and predictable is your problem, not Falcon's.

Zeallyx

Darky you can actually play safe as Falcon.

Uair is faster than airdodge, have you played the game since 2008 ?
And being unsafe and predictable is your problem, not Falcon's.
Are you implying Uair is 100% safe to use?
You are silly.

And throwing out 08 'hate' in regard to something like frame data, something that doesnt change, is even more silly.

actually, beeing unsafe/safe is mostly move dependent, if the player who uses it isnt an idiot.

And the few moves falcon has that one can effectively use in competitive play, actually contributes to how predictable one is.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
Well, I've already stated that in a ton of my posts. Falcon does have options to play somewhat safe, but rarely will the Falcon mains ever use them. He has his aerial pressuring, grab, jabs and utilt; but neither of which are safe if you think about it. Utilt and Bair are the two safest attacks that he has.

Actually playing safe with Falcon overall though?

Speed and pressure.
Bait and punishment.

Use his aerial pressure (Bair) or just simply being defensive at close range to get a reaction, then use his speed and buffering to punish. That's just being safe though; sort of a multi-step process compared to... nadonadonadonado tilttilttilttilttilt

mlorenzo

Smash Journeyman
I use my safest style when I'm going against the ice climbers. Most of my wins against the ice climbers is by time outs lol. So yeah falcon can be safe but in order to win the matches you need to take risks. However, if you don't take risks Falcon will probably lose the match. So yeah taking risks will improve falcon game, but like any other risks it can backfire. But what can you lose if you are playing falcon lol. Falcon is a bounty hunter :) Bounty hunter will risk his/her life.

Zeallyx

Well, I've already stated that in a ton of my posts. Falcon does have options to play somewhat safe, but rarely will the Falcon mains ever use them. He has his aerial pressuring, grab, jabs and utilt; but neither of which are safe if you think about it. Utilt and Bair are the two safest attacks that he has.

Actually playing safe with Falcon overall though?

Speed and pressure.
Bait and punishment.

Use his aerial pressure (Bair) or just simply being defensive at close range to get a reaction, then use his speed and buffering to punish. That's just being safe though; sort of a multi-step process compared to... nadonadonadonado tilttilttilttilttilt
Falcon's 'safe' moves are actually risky according to brawls standard of safe moves.

Micklem

Smash Apprentice
Falcon's 'safe' moves are actually risky according to brawls standard of safe moves.
I really really hope that wasn't a melee-is-better hint. Melee has greater hitstun & shieldstun afaik => safer moves in general => CF's moves are even more risky by contrast.. so it wouldn't be the most intelligent point.

Or am I reading too much into it? :)

Anyway, why tf would you play as captain falcon is you want to be 'safe'??!! Surely that goes against everything he stands for. As does winning.
If you're a captain falcon main and you want to be safe, wimp out (time out), or win, I'm not sure you've chosen your character wisely.

Edit: I added an apostrophe in my quotation of your post. I hope you don't mind :)

Edit: Fine, I've got rid of it now. I didn't mean to offend you. ;)

Zeallyx

I really really hope that wasn't a melee-is-better hint. Melee has greater hitstun & shieldstun afaik => safer moves in general => CF's moves are even more risky by contrast.. so it wouldn't be the most intelligent point.
No.

Or am I reading too much into it? :)
Yes.

Anyway, why tf would you play as captain falcon is you want to be 'safe'??!! Surely that goes against everything he stands for. As does winning.
If you're a captain falcon main and you want to be safe, wimp out (time out), or win, I'm not sure you've chosen your character wisely.
I agree.

Edit: I added an apostrophe in my quotation of your post. I hope you don't mind :)
Offcourse I mind.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
*of course

slader7, I too also like playing manly. In fact, landing a knee of justice as a finishing move is one of the best sensations ever. But I also hate losing (specially if it's losing unfairly, like what happened to me somedays ago at a tourney, I used Falcon Punch instead of Falcon Dive and SD'd on my last stock).

So yeah, if I have to play safe to win, I will. Then I finish them off with a surprise Falcon Dive, feels good too man.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Are you implying Uair is 100% safe to use?
You are silly.

And throwing out 08 'hate' in regard to something like frame data, something that doesnt change, is even more silly.

actually, beeing unsafe/safe is mostly move dependent, if the player who uses it isnt an idiot.

And the few moves falcon has that one can effectively use in competitive play, actually contributes to how predictable one is.
Yesz, Falcon's Uair is safe. Deal with it.
Now if you use it like a ******* it won't be safe, I grant you that.

And "all that 08 hate" is because since then people have been trying to get better. So yeah, Uairi being safe on airdodge (and even leading to punishing with another UAir) is something I consider common knowledge.

And then, the only move Falcon can effectively use in a competitive gameplay is Uair, the rest is just mixups. So if you get predictable in your mixups it's your fault.

Zeallyx

Yesz, Falcon's Uair is safe. Deal with it.
Now if you use it like a ******* it won't be safe, I grant you that.

And "all that 08 hate" is because since then people have been trying to get better. So yeah, Uairi being safe on airdodge (and even leading to punishing with another UAir) is something I consider common knowledge.

And then, the only move Falcon can effectively use in a competitive gameplay is Uair, the rest is just mixups. So if you get predictable in your mixups it's your fault.
But it isnt safe. Nothing to deal with.

Again, falcon's 'safe' moves arent really safe according to the brawl standard.

Also, again, using only the moves one should use when playing falcon, narrows down the whole to a point there isnt much to predict.
And if you are implying using falcons whole moveset for mixups, then you're just silly. Though I hope dont think you are implying that.

And Uair can be punished using an airdodge->aerial.

With that said, I like to add, I <3 you, you dork.

Also@Darky:
That's not what teluoborg was saying.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
The part about punishing is what kills me lol. When I'm in "autoplay", I always play offensively, and never "passive offensively".

I gotta repeat to me constantly: bait, bait, bait, punish punish punish punish

Zeallyx

The part about punishing is what kills me lol. When I'm in "autoplay", I always play offensively, and never "passive offensively".

I gotta repeat to me constantly: bait, bait, bait, punish punish punish punish
You're weird.

lordhelmet

Smash Master
No comment on anything that's been said the last few pages...

---​

Edit: Nope, not a pointless post. Most of the posts here lately have been pretty stupid. Just throwing in my two cents.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
I love how the Falcon Boards had like a week and a half of inactivity on nearly every thread - then they all start back up today.

Anyway, is this thread even useful now since the tier list?
I don't even see the BBR members giving any input to this anymore.

Player-3

Smash Hero
lol biglord.

look at the "top falcon mains"

(676) Meglaodon77 <- random
(1109) GodotAA <- random
(1362) mlorenzo <- legit
(1672) Steve <- i didn't know he was competitive at all O_o
(2281) lordhelmet <- hi helmet

lordhelmet

Smash Master
Rofl, yeah we actually have really bad rep when it comes to decent players.

As you know I'm not the most active tourney guy ever, plus only one of my tournaments went through because the other one didn't have pools info so they couldn't register that tournament. Hopefully that will be fixed soon enough.

Tourney on the 16th, wish me luck.

In other news, Willz might be going all Falcon in Brawl Singles from now on.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
Well, I consider myself a decent falcon-only player too... the only reason why the list is this way is because they only counted SOME players and SOME tournaments.

At least that's what I think. No Ally in the Captain Falcon Secondaries? Really now?

Top Bottom