• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BBR Weekly Character Discussion #3: Falco

swordsaint

Smash Master
Icys are the only ones I always switch to mk for atm...who knows if I can get better at the MU maybe I can go Falco vs everyone from now on.
I'd advise against this. You don't want to take on a hard matchup like Ice Climbers before knowing the matchup. Keep to MK for Ice Climbers in tournaments, and gradually learn the match up by playing friendlies and asking about it. Then when you're confident whip out your bird.

I want to clarify one thing that people should understand. A HARD matchup isn't necessarily a BAD match up. A hard matchup can just mean that the things that even out the matchup are awkward and difficult to pull off. This doesn't mean the match up is bad. A bad matchup is when our options are limited to such an extent our character get's beat outright. This isn't the case for Ice Climbers. For sure it's a hard match up, but not a bad one when you know your little tricks and can perform them with decent consistency.

Derp. Misread your post. 3am johns. Yeah, you're right, learn the IC match up before taking those incestuous teabags on.

Denzi

Smash Master
I want to clarify one thing that people should understand. A HARD matchup isn't necessarily a BAD match up. A hard matchup can just mean that the things that even out the matchup are awkward and difficult to pull off. This doesn't mean the match up is bad. A bad matchup is when our options are limited to such an extent our character get's beat outright. This isn't the case for Ice Climbers. For sure it's a hard match up, but not a bad one when you know your little tricks and can perform them with decent consistency.
I have to say I agree with this 100%. That's basically the point I was trying to make in whichever other thread people were arguing IC's and Pika in.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
lasering/reflecting their squal hammer

nana rubberbands on falco's dthrow which is hilarious and results in 1hko on popo

desyncs are unsafe

crossups are fairly safe

nana dies too easy when they get seperated

ice climbers are generally unsafe below a platform camping falco. lol oos options.
You still go mk solely for ics ;\

swordsaint

Smash Master
You still go mk solely for ics ;\
Last tournament I went to was a few weeks ago. I've only really started looking at and listening to dehfs advice on ice climbers within a week or two. I've been practicing the ice climbers matchup at teds meets and that's how i know that these things are effective.

So when I come to another one I'll probably use Falco on whatever Ice Climbers want's to take me on. ;D

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
doesnt toby use pika? or doesnt he come to tournies anymore? that should be your reason for using mk, scoot.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I don't think I ever lost to cao's marth before? oh well :p
Toby beat me in marth dittos in pools one tournament :p.

And ice climbers is an annoying match up if you don't know what to do with marf.

swordsaint

Smash Master
I don't think I ever lost to cao's marth before? oh well :p
Toby beat me in marth dittos in pools one tournament :p.

And ice climbers is an annoying match up if you don't know what to do with marf.
**** platforms, full hop fair and sdi blizzard > fair

oooh it's sooooo hard.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Oh, so you're going to be using marth next tournament against EA's ICs?

It's sooooo easy.
Yet you absolutely failed to ever try Falco vs ICs because it was sooooooo hard.
Yet my Falco, who at best I used as a secondary a year and a half ago was able to win half or more.

Denzi

Smash Master
It's funny because this is the Falco character discussion. I expected to see some sort of discussion about Falco.

swordsaint

Smash Master
most of what can be said can be said in already existing threads, and because the backroom kept it to themselves for so long, most of what CAN be said already has been imo

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Look it's pretty obvious that Marth and Falco are true brothers and rivals in trying to be the best Melee [original] character in brawl.

(stupid broken new characters)

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Look it's pretty obvious that Marth and Falco are true brothers and rivals in trying to be the best Melee [original] character in brawl.

(stupid broken new characters)
Implying that Marth is even close to Falco ... LOL

:059:

Falco can in no way be 2nd best as of right now. If anyone has contributed or read the entire discussion regarding Snake you can see why.

MK is undeniably the best. Snake and Falco are in the same boat of being in the top tier, but their placement is reliant on other things. Of Falco and Snake, both have some very good match-up results. Snake has little doubt that he has only soft counters and no hard ones. Falco on the other hand has one good hard counter, and one other possible hard counter. Falco also has the downfall of being countered by stages such as brinstar or RC. Since the current ruling also does not have a thing list against planking, Falco will fall prey to planking attempts.

Snake is a character that is indeed (no pun intended) a very solid character. His faults are made up for by his other strengths. Falco on the other hand has a number of weaknesses (planking and CPing) that ruins him while Snake does no get crippled by these weaknesses. He does well on CP stages and can deal with planking in a way. Due to this Snake will be staying in his spot causing Falco to have to fall back to 3rd or 4th.

Unless the ruleset changes in anyway to favor Falco with better stages or limit planking, he cannot rise any further than 3rd on the tier list.

swordsaint

Smash Master
I think Falco's an oddball. He fits almost anywhere in top tier under Metaknight.

it's like he's tied with all characters from 2-7 while the characters in 2-7 still have seperate rankings.

Notra

Smash Ace
finally finished reading this. Well my gf is going to hongkong for a month. i think ima try at brawl again. like more than for money. Got bdacus down consistenly today. now to apply it

See ya soon Shugo, shame. Same region nvr met. Im sadly still only michigan falco worth mentioning......nvr passed a torch.

need to leave michigan. theres a new good icee every week, i can beat them all but ****it not lain. And anther i dont wanna talk about....

ALSO BEWARE FALCOS, played lain at a smashfest last thursday. hes come up with new trixies. Like some potentially meta game breaking for icees. **** was a nightmare, i stopped playing the rest of the night after. I was rusty, but theres no excuse.

M@v

Subarashii!
Honestly what is holding falco back from 4th imo is the fact his 2 bad matchups are worse than other top tiers worst matchups.

Example: Icys/pika vs falco is worse than DDD vs snake, Falco vs diddy, and I'd even say Mk vs marth. I know thats a bad one too, but at least Marth doesnt have to worry about any ******** chaingrabs in his worst MU.

Notra

Smash Ace
Honestly what is holding falco back from 4th imo is the fact his 2 bad matchups are worse than other top tiers worst matchups.

Example: Icys/pika vs falco is worse than DDD vs snake, Falco vs diddy, and I'd even say Mk vs marth. I know thats a bad one too, but at least Marth doesnt have to worry about any ******** chaingrabs in his worst MU.
just a flying Pegasus jousting with a long *** lance vs. a boy on the ground(maybe a girl) with a knife.

in other words flying longer range vs non flying not as long range.

Shugo-Chan

Smash Lord
Haha it rly is a shame that we havent met yet notra we're only a state apart lol. i used mk on lain id never use falco :/ i hate the matchup so much. f*** ics and pika o:

OverLade

Smash Hero

Falco is better than Snake because nobody plays ICs and Pikachu. Snakes bad matchups are all extremely common. It doesn't matter if you have two crippling matchups if nobody plays them because of the current metagame...

M@v

Subarashii!
Not too many people play pika I agree. But there is a good chance you are going to run into one or two ice climbers in tourney. And thats where its the end of the line for a lot of falco players since not many know the MU/secondary isnt good enough.

Regardless though, only needing a secondary for one MAYBE 2 characters is still extremely solid, especially when one of the characters is very rare(pika)

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
If you want to go by tournament results for just the worse MU for both characters: there are more IC results then D3 results currently. That's before adding in Pikachu as well if you consider those two MUs equally bad for Falco.

OverLade

Smash Hero
Not too many people play pika I agree. But there is a good chance you are going to run into one or two ice climbers in tourney. And thats where its the end of the line for a lot of falco players since not many know the MU/secondary isnt good enough.

Regardless though, only needing a secondary for one MAYBE 2 characters is still extremely solid, especially when one of the characters is very rare(pika)
There isn't a good chance you'll run into ICs in any region except the midwest. Everywhere else theres are plenty of other players who could beat said ICs player, and you won't NEED a secondary. That's like saying Afro needs a secondary for CO18's dedede. He doesn't, the likelyhood he'll play against him isn't huge.

Top Bottom