• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BBR Weekly Character Discussion #18: Peach

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Eh, I've always thought that Peach was an extremely impressive character, and I have merely one piece of advice for Peach players.

Don't be afraid to make hard reads, just because your character has safe options. A lot of Marth players make this mistake, and it prevents them from evolving.
This mindset is why I <3 you Dan. Midwest style homo (I'll leave you to wonder lol).

I'm often advised to not make certain hard reads or throw in certain mixups when I post my videos here for critique, but in all honesty I disregard that advice in favor of the more juicy matchup details that I am sometimes enlightened in. I agree that not enough players take the initiative to make said reads or create said mixups in order to condition their opponent in ways that the latter does not often encounter, if at all. Her options are indeed safe (although admittedly not foolproof just like the majority of the cast) but that doesn't mean players should always resort to going the extra mile in order to be safe, because that mindset coupled with her inherent inability to kill as early as other characters may be what contributes to most Peaches not killing until 150+.

Once I started implementing a little more bravery and creativity into my gameplay, I find myself not often "outright" KOing opponents beyond 100-130%, which is reasonable. When I say "outright" I mean that I did not include her rather effective ability to gimp a good portion of the cast at earlier percents offstage, which is something I also make sure to implement as much as possible.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
I mean, when I look at Peach, I see a character with a load of safety and mobility, a killing problem, and then a move that is hard to use, but has amazing kill power.

Just put the pieces together.

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
Mind you that move hits on frame 14, is very unsafe and barely has any range.

I definitely agree with you though. Just not on the 'that move' part @_@.

:052:

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
It has to be usmash. It's our ONLY "hard" read.

What else do we have? Fair? Fsmash? Peach Bomber? (lol)

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
Fair... well we all know Fair's killing problem. And its landed relatively easily anyway.
Peach Bomber's start up/ending lag is a million frames and it kills on percentage poop.
Fsmash is great.

A hard read doesnt necessarily have to consist of a move with a lot of knockback though.

:053:

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Its got to be Up Smash, everything else she has sucks in kill power

There's nothing wrong with making hard reads provided their safe. If you see the opportunity go for it but only if you're sure because Peach can be quite flimsy

And I don't agree that Diddy ***** Peach - you'll be hard pressed to find someone who agrees with you Gheb. However I also don't agree that the answer to the Diddy match up is to spam SH Dair's which is what I normally see being said

LanceStern

Smash Lord
And I don't agree that Diddy ***** Peach - you'll be hard pressed to find someone who agrees with you Gheb. However I also don't agree that the answer to the Diddy match up is to spam SH Dair's which is what I normally see being said
I thought it was full hop dairs anyways.

If you float too much he'll wreck you. I hate his fair...

Zepher Noron

Smash Rookie
I can't disagree more strongly with you guys. Lots of Peach players have been as good as players like Boss, Shakey, etc on a "skill" level with the game sort of base.

It's funny you guys come to that conclusion. It's based completely off opinion. For example, I can point to tournament results, that suggest since more top level Ness, Luigi, DK, and Ike mains can beat top levle MK mains, it suggests, with real results, that Peach has a worse matchup vs MK compared to these characaters.

When you guys say that Peach mains don't have players who are as skilled as characters of these mains, it's honestly just pulled out of your ***. Do you have any data, reasoning to support this? There have been plenty of Peach mains who have been highly skilled. I find it offensive that you guys would say this is the reason.

When I was playing this game, I would consistently beat a lot of players in tournament who WERE able to beat players like M2K That suggests that I was on a high enough skill level as these other character mains yet these character mains could beat MK which I couldn't really do.

The same applies now. A lot of Peach mains can beat players like Boss, Shakey etc. Yet Peach mains can never beat MK players like M2K, Dojo, Tyrant. yet Boss and Shakey type players can. Do you see what the actual evidence suggests?

Put your emotions and heart aside and look at the reality of what is happening in tournaments all across the world. Peach mains are good enough to beat highly skilled players, but not highly skilled MKs, and yet, these other highly skilled players can beat those same MK's. There is a reason for this, and that reason is that her matchup with MK is a much more up hill battle than it is for most characters who are around her position on the tier list.
Sorry bro. But I am gonna have to disagree with this statement. There is absolutly no Peach player on the same levels as San, X, Sharky, Fow, boss, etc.

What was said should not be offensive. But realizing the truth and maning up. You can't get good and correct a problem if you consistently choice to ignore the problem to begin with. Being nice, buddy buddy and Peachy won't get you wins. Nor make you better. It's realizing what the problem is, not ignoring/denying to begin with. And people here do this alot. And with your post, you are covering that up to not make people feel bad or hit them with the hard truth.

Now you were saying that you and the others back in the day were beating people who were able to beat M2k and other strong players. Here is the difference. They are able to do it, you and the others on the other hand can't. Brood and Larry has beaten M2K. And Jash, Chibo, and 2 others have beaten brood. And Nick Riddle Beat Larry. So by this logic, does that mean that these guys can flat out beat M2K/Larry or make them godly players? No. But other aspects of who they are as players is whats makes them good. Or Bad.

Your evidence is flawed. Now I don't care if San and the mid tier likes are beating these beast players and getting at meta knights even. Fact of the matter is, They are the ones doing it, not Peach players. If I was to Beat people who have beaten M2K, Does this flat out mean I can beat M2k cause of this. No it does not. I could still get three stocked every match till the day I die against M2K. The only way to actually say something like this is to actually have it be done.

Now Look at your last paragraph. I'm gonna break this down for you. You are right, people should put thier emotions to the side. And actually learn to accept the truth. Not beat around the bush so you can feel good about yourself and actually someone in the world of smash. That does not make good players. That does not make warriors. It makes a bunch of sensitive people who hold themselves back cause of silly emotions and being sensitive. Truth hurts. Yet it makes you a better person in the long run. And in this game, if you accept what kind of player you are, you will be more determined to improve and see your flaws much better. Might even improve faster than expected.

Next up, you say Peach mains are skilled enough to beat higly skilled players. As of right now dude. No, they are not. Cause they don't do it, that simple. Peach players are not on the level as the other mid tier players that do good in tournies and beat legit people. And what also makes this statement more ture is that we straight up play a better character. You can't run nor hide from this.

One more thing that seriously needs to be cleared up. You going on so much about Meta Knight. He is not the only character Peach players are losing to. They are also losing alot of other characters as well. Take your Pick. So if you think meta is really the only problem here, you need to think again. Your statement would be a lil stronger if meta was the only character Peach players are losing to. But they are not.

Now with all this said, People need to stop being so sensetive and musy around here if they wanna get better. And actually except the truth. None are on the level as San and the mid, low tier likes. There is no excuses and no need to BS your way out with comfort and heart warming words. If thats how people are gonna be, then they have no business playing this game for competition. And seriously have no business being all arrogant and throwing egos around When they doing beat anyone higly skilled and matters. I have seen brackets from Peach's results. They don't beat anyone higly skilled. Half the time, the players that they lose to are not even highly skilled. Now you know we have a problem if this is going on.

That's why Peach is viewed as she is today. That's why People say ****** things about match ups (Like Diddy/IC ****** Peach). Thats why Peach gets the results she gets, when at this point, all the stuff Peach has/can do and what mid tier/low tier players are doing (Who Peach has more options as a character in general), Should be doing way better than the others. Yet it is the other way around. And with nearly three years passed, we have all this mess? We have a serious problem. Crying, arrogance, sensetivity and warm words don't make you better. Taking in the truth, realizing the problem and working to fix the problem is what makes you better. So much stuff with Peach people till this day fail to abuse. And losing in some stupid ways that already figured out or gaved advice on long ago. People don't listen or too full of themselves too. So they get what they deserve.

When Peach players stop limiting themselves so hard and actually beat legit people alot and place high BECAUSE of beating these people, then you can come and say this to me again.

Zepher Noron

Smash Rookie
Account locked from Peach boards for a while. And I wanted to say my input on that post for a while. I have no clue when it will be unlocked. So for now, using this to continue my share on this topic.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Haven't got much to say but Peach's matchup's with the mid / lower tiers are insane. (Almost always in her favor) and her higher matchups aren't to shabby either.

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
We handle Olimar, Ice Climbers, Wario and Diddy pretty well.

Metaknight, Snake, and Marth are very bad.

¿Qué?

Smash Champion
I've always thought about that.

I always see that most people have seconds, but only keep to their main in tournaments(me being one of them). I also feel that using my other characters has forced me to learn affective styles of play. I know, I only use my Peach in tourneys, but I plan to come out of my shell and start using my Donkey Kong too. It's not an insecurity of being a Peach player, I just love using Donkey Kong also, and consider him my main as well.

rm88

Smash Ace
NNID
Rm88Go
3DS FC
5241-1973-5614
Marth... ugh. Lately I think I prefer fighting Snake, that's how much I hate Marth. He's truly Meta Knight 'Lite' against Peach, in my opinion. I guess I just suck against him, I have been "countering" him with Kirby... who also has trouble against him, but I think I do better with the puffball.

Silly Kyle

Smash Champion
I've gotten better at the Marth matchup in Brawl, but I still consider it as one of her toughest matchups. Everything about Marth and his stupid sword is anti Peach lol. Thankfully we have turnips, decent edgeguards, and fair/bair to compete with his moveset.

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
Mmm......sweetspot Rackets are my favorite.

Top Bottom