• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Battle Arena Melbourne 7 - May 22-24 2015 - Rego Closes May 17th, no exceptions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agonvaga

Smash Apprentice
Attila I don't think I've ever played you in Melee, and I suck, so I'll make a $20 MM against you.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
you do know who agonvaga is, if you think about it you should be able to figure it out

Agonvaga

Smash Apprentice
keen for MM in melee..............or smash 4 :p
I'll MM you as well, but I think I've played you in Melee before and lost, so w/e.

Sure. I don't know who you are though.
I almost blew your eardrums out when you survived a certain u-smash on Borel in friendlies about 4 years ago, and I just love SA and the number 7 m8. <3

Gords

Smash Champion
I am just going to repost these questions since they havent been answered and now lost in all the MM talk

Question

how exactly does this
For each $50 dollar donated your vote will count 1x more, eg donate $150 and your vote is as strong as 4 peoples votes.
and this
we vote, and each vote needs to list their preferences from 1-13. 1 being most preferred and 13 being least
work together?
Is it like for every $50 I donate its as if another person voted with the same preference list?
As for team mates, I'm thinking of rather than try to entice any sort of bidding war with top donators, could make it a clean $200 or $250 to team with an international in the game of choice, first come first serve?

Thoughts?
I kinda like this idea if it started before donations, and/or we knew who was coming and what games were confirmed, but not sure about it at this stage. For eg. if i knew Lucky was confirmed and PM was in I would donate to team with lucky for PM in a Heart beat, even more so if dreadtech is with Armada (need to settle the score).
I think a better way now might be to have a lottery for those who donate more than $X (say $250) and those people go into the draw. you then pull out the names and the first person gets first pick and so on and so forth. You could also implement a system like you have with that for each $50 you get another entry into the draw (i would make it so once you get drawn though you can not be drawn again for another teaming). We did something similar to this for the last Zelda marathon for the Hyrule Hystoria book prize. there are websites/programs that could pull out the names for you which is what we used.

so yeah how is doubles working, did you want to do it as i suggest here or if not is there a better method your looking at. i dont really like what was suggested in the qoute

Last edited:

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
Is it like for every $50 I donate its as if another person voted with the same preference list?
Yes

Teams will be most paid gets preference, and then 2nd most get 2nd pref ect.

Minimum $200 to be included in the run for a team mate, but this time around there will be no assistance in terms of me telling anyone whose planning to pay what or others plans are ect, you guys can communicate or trick eachother or snipe or whatever.

I will have a cut off date for team mate donations before the actual end date of donations. This will be after Jan 26th so we know who would be in teams, but well before 1st of May in order to allow those extra funds to work towards possibly 1 extra player coming.

no date for this is set yet.

Last edited:

JKTS

Smash Cadet
Minimum $200 to be included in the run for a team mate, but this time around there will be no assistance in terms of me telling anyone whose planning to pay what or others plans are ect, you guys can communicate or trick eachother or snipe or whatever.
Is it whoever donates most or lottery?

JKTS

Smash Cadet
it's literally the line before dude
Wow, skipped a line. Disregard that, I suck *****.

EDIT: So if you pledge >200 and don't end up being one of the top (how many players we get x how many events can be teamed in) do you still pay?

Last edited:

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
pledges don't count for anything, may as well not post (8

may sound greedy, but if it means more players over, I'm all for making it all about who wants it the most, gets their team mate of choice (cough mango cough)

hobs made a great small post on fb about why it should be most paid wins, was kinda like this:

"It should be about who wants it the most, not who is able to click on checkout first or get lucky"

I completely agree with this, that's why its most paid gets first pref.

While it does favor those with deeper pockets, it probably the most fair system there is as well as its the most beneficial system for bringing over extra people by raising big dollars.

every single little cent given to this, is gonna go to overseas and or OOS people. anything raised that is in between any goal amount will go to OOS rather than internationals.

AKA: we get 2 west coast players for $3000, then we raise $700 more, it will then go to people like zxv, ted, spup, or such. I'll re host a 2nd poll shortly after to determine who from OOS gets preference in this case, and this will be a short time poll (1-2 weeks at most)

Either way, I really reckon everything decided/done so far is the best way for it to be done, but I love hearing other people's reasoning and such.

Also don't fret about nova stealing someone with his pockets much larger than ours, he said if he even does donate the most, he would pick wife for melee, he has no plans to take mango at this stage at all ;)

nova may be crazy but he aint the grinch

TL;DR: give me your money

Last edited:

Blue2ez

Smash Cadet
Can we just have an auction of sorts? I'd hate to donate a bunch of money and then lose and not get an international team mate.

Agonvaga

Smash Apprentice
I'll donate for ZXV to beat Dekar again
I'm conflicted on this.....I love them both equally....sigh...
Anyway I won't need housing when I go, I plan on doing a hotel thing similar to what I did the last major (the bathroom **** I can't remember), if it's at the usual place, I'll get the most expensive/large room and help host some people I like or if not I'll find one near since I was told they got more strict and get a damn huge room at a 5*.

Depends on Phil if he's okay with it, but I'd prefer to host much of the same people I did last time. <3

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
Can we just have an auction of sorts? I'd hate to donate a bunch of money and then lose and not get an international team mate.
If you're not content with your extra money going towards internationals helping to get here, then idk what else to offer thats still fair/possible but can also help bring people over

an auction would mean less money overall too imo, unless everyone plans to snipe at 11:59pm then well i'd hope you're all putting your top dollar forward for what you want ;)

Last edited:

Agonvaga

Smash Apprentice
You're kinda missing the point though, if you're donating to help the scene and all (which really is what this should be about) then as long as the money goes towards someone/thing at the event, everyone wins regardless.
I understand the incentive to donate more money so that you're more likely to get to pick an international team-mate, but that definitely shouldn't be the first reason as to why you're donating.

Also depends on how much you consider a "bunch" of money to be - and how would the "auction" work?
Seems fine the way it is atm for now, but break a leg if you have any ideas that could help,

Edit: Sniped....:(

Last edited:

JKTS

Smash Cadet
pledges don't count for anything, may as well not post (8

may sound greedy, but if it means more players over, I'm all for making it all about who wants it the most, gets their team mate of choice (cough mango cough)

hobs made a great small post on fb about why it should be most paid wins, was kinda like this:

"It should be about who wants it the most, not who is able to click on checkout first or get lucky"

I completely agree with this, that's why its most paid gets first pref.

While it does favor those with deeper pockets, it probably the most fair system there is as well as its the most beneficial system for bringing over extra people by raising big dollars.

every single little cent given to this, is gonna go to overseas and or OOS people. anything raised that is in between any goal amount will go to OOS rather than internationals.

AKA: we get 2 west coast players for $3000, then we raise $700 more, it will then go to people like zxv, ted, spup, or such. I'll re host a 2nd poll shortly after to determine who from OOS gets preference in this case, and this will be a short time poll (1-2 weeks at most)

Either way, I really reckon everything decided/done so far is the best way for it to be done, but I love hearing other people's reasoning and such.

Also don't fret about nova stealing someone with his pockets much larger than ours, he said if he even does donate the most, he would pick wife for melee, he has no plans to take mango at this stage at all ;)

nova may be crazy but he aint the grinch

TL;DR: give me your money

I agree with you, just making sure I know what's going on.

Maybe this time we should make the 1 on 1 coaching separate and more expensive than the meets. I think it would encourage people who are hesitant to try for a team-mate if everyone who donates $200+ but misses out on a team-mate gets coached? At least that way you're still getting something for that extra money. It would also probably be a smaller amount of coaching over all so the internationals have more time at the donor meets to just play games with people.

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
updated OP with team mate stuff and nova dropping more dollars to reach $350 so far donated!

Wife

Smash Lord
LOL at the idea of being auctioned off as a date, for a Smash fundraiser. It's brilliant. I unfortunately don't have PS skills, but in my head it's like this:

"Good evening, Smaaaaashers! You may know our first player from a little team called The Nnnnnnnewlyweddss!!!!"
- mild applause-
"Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks? We'll start the bidding at $50"
-a few signs go up-
"Come on ladies, this is a chance to play with a legend!"
-bidding continues for a little while until no more signs go up-
"Okay, for $800, going to Meredyse. Going once! Going twice! s-"
-Nova lazily looks up from the newspaper he's been reading-

"One million dollars"
-crowd gasps-

Noied

Smash Rookie
LOL at the idea of being auctioned off as a date, for a Smash fundraiser. It's brilliant. I unfortunately don't have PS skills, but in my head it's like this:

"Good evening, Smaaaaashers! You may know our first player from a little team called The Nnnnnnnewlyweddss!!!!"
- mild applause-
"Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks? We'll start the bidding at $50"
-a few signs go up-

"One million dollars"
-crowd gasps-

Sw0rds

Smash Cadet

- mild applause-
-a few signs go up-

"One million dollars"
-crowd gasps-
I laughed way too hard at this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom