• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Batou's Monthly 7 (Metaknight banned) Powered by Evolution Gamez

Sync.

Smash Champion
I'll address this when I'm home. I like the time and I don't hate it. PJ and I practice with that stagelist and timer a lot. Anyway, I'll explain later.

:phone:

Labernash

Smash Lord
But.... A bunch of stages make it more fun!

Either way, this isn't the place to discuss this, haha!

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
Yeah, I get that more stages makes it more fun or whatever. It's just me; I like a more conservative/neutral stage list. To me, it seems more competitive, more skill based, instead of relying too much on extreme stages like RC and Brinstar imo. Delphino Plaza and Frigate Orpheon are maybe as well, but for the most part, they're fine imo. Apex ruleset is really legit for instance, but I want to research more into the Japanese ruleset.

D

Deleted member

lol, i might bring my melee and memory card just for lolz. I just realised, I havent gotten my parents to know im planning on going to 2 tournaments in 2 weekends. its only an hour away for both of them, it should be fine. im recording all money matches. I just noticed, whats the stage list? I know people change theirs up for mm's and friendlies, but... where is it? is it in the unity rulelist and you guys mentioned that?

NeoBatou

Smash Ace
Me and Y.b.M. will be here. Sad face at $5 for doubles though
Yeah maybe sometime in the future if I do a circuit event, I'll up the price to 10 dollars. It just depends on how things go. So far things are looking good.

"Japanese ruleset is like Melee now. It's stupid really. Also, the wonderful Japanese want to BAN MK too. Nietono himself said he's way too overpowered and near impossible to beat at top level. Honestly, all the bandwagoners on it really don't understand that the Japanese ruleset will KILL this game even faster. Quite frankly, the main advocates of the Japanese rulesets are players who will benefit from it: ICs, Olimar, Diddy, Falco and anti-ban ex-MK mains."

In a sense, Sync's response is arguable for both ways.

I'm in favor for a ten minute timer perhaps, but I rather keep MK banned.

I never have timed out anyone. I didn't think I needed to time people out to get a win, nor did I need to drag people through another Apex grand finals just to win a set, but some do, on purpose or by accident....so ten minutes might be a lot better. However just having three neutrals? I rather stick to our own rule set but with a ten minute timer.

I rather have more stages to fight on. The worse the MU, the more tolerable it is when the stages could possibly change the MU slightly so it's not as bad.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
smashballs do that in a random and unbalanced manner. You should know better than to throw out that as an argument (feeding the troll)

Mr. game and watch

Smash Master
^its a Tyler TX joke.

We had a tournament run by a store here, and voted to have items off.
She said "no, smash balls will be on, because if someone that is worse gets it, they'll catch up. It's an equalizer!"

Sync.

Smash Champion
Yeah, Melee is dead because the game is only like 4 stages and 5 characters. That's what Brawl will be with such a restrictive ruleset. The stagelist will only benefit ICs, Oli , Falco, MK (needless to say) and Diddy. It will honestly half defeat the purpose of the game (counterpicking) with no safe stages for aerial characters or character that get ***** in those MUs. It will literall delete the remainder of the cast more so than the character imbalance. The only thing we could MAYBE adopt is the timer but even then, it'll make tournaments.longer than they need to be.

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
Last I check, Melee is doing pretty fine, obviously not as strong as Brawl, but it certaintly not dead.

And over in Japan, I'm certain Brawl is still going strong under their own ruleset.

I doubt the Japanese ruleset will kill the game. I see what you're saying, but that's not how it really works. I guarantee you that many people will still play the game continuously, even with a metagame with just a handful of viable characters (I've seen it from other fighters) and a select small number of stages.

Also, Japanese ruleset does not benefit Meta Knight compared to the Unity ruleset. As we have seen, MK has more advantages under the Unity ruleset stage list.

As for the 10 minute timer issue, I'll have to explore that more in depth before I can come up with an opinion on it.

Mr. game and watch

Smash Master
Yo Batou, I'll probably go to Rise of UTA instead because it's way cheaper and therefore more desirable to my parents who pay for me cause I have 0 source of income.(looking for a job at GameStop once I'm of age to work at such an establishment.)

But go to it. K.
I love your monthlies, but ey, new tournies are legit.
And cheap.

Denti

Smash Master
A 10 min timer shouldn't make the tournament noticeably longer for a couple reasons.

First, a 10 min timer is going to discourage time outs, not encourage. So some people won't aim for the time out strategy. Second, games almost never go to time, even though people talk like they do. If games ever go to time it's only maybe just a select few games in the tournament and I'm sure adding 2 extra min on the clock won't hurt the time it takes to run the tournament.

The reason why most games go to time is because the option is just there sometimes. Removing or discouraging that option makes players camp less imo. Also it would be good to have games end with a killing blow rather than by running/planking at the last moments.

That's just my opinion though.

NeoBatou

Smash Ace
I don't even know why you possibly would want to adopt the japanese rule set aerolink....I don't know the possible best incentive for you other than MK being legal.

And if your wondering about how top tournaments go for fighters? Final Round had the exact opposite.

Team Kusuro:
Viewtiful Joe/ Rocket Racoon/Frank West (two mid tier/one low tier, check with xeven)

A tournament FULL of Magneto/Wesker/Sentinel/Phoenix/Taskmaster/Spencer/Zero and the one team that comes out on top is team Kusuro. It just let's you know that anything is possible when the game doesn't revolve around top tier characters so much.

D

Deleted member

Oh, I had a stupid idea. I dont see many areas with just a tournament like this do crew battles, but I sort've want to do one. theres no individual areas like west coast vs east coast or something, but it'd intresting to have a crew battle. -never been in one-

NeoBatou

Smash Ace
Oh, I had a stupid idea. I dont see many areas with just a tournament like this do crew battles, but I sort've want to do one. theres no individual areas like west coast vs east coast or something, but it'd intresting to have a crew battle. -never been in one-
We've had our fair share of crew battles.

We have gone against Dallas, Amarillo, San Antonio, Houston.....

D

Deleted member

We've had our fair share of crew battles.

We have gone against Dallas, Amarillo, San Antonio, Houston.....
Are we able to this time? Im from Mckinney, so your list is invalid... well its also considered frisco.
Well, my father said I could probably go to this since its only the 24th, so i guess thats good. If we do crew battles, I dont know how a TL/Kirby would fit in. but I guess i'd have use in some matchup. OH ONE MORE THING, since theres doubles. Does anyone not have a partner? im here.

D

Deleted member

Well, when does the store exactly end? because if everythings beginning at 1:00 prettty much, since its only brawl it shouldnt take like 8 hours. If were lucky we might get a crew battle or something. Oh and does anyone have an extra TV to bring, if so then I can bring my wii and etc, and we have another setup.

Denti

Smash Master
If we have a crew battle it depends on how many people enter and how many people bring set ups. Also it depends on how fast matches are called. Also if there is a side event or not.

D

Deleted member

If we have a crew battle it depends on how many people enter and how many people bring set ups. Also it depends on how fast matches are called. Also if there is a side event or not.
Well it seems as if were not having a side event, I'd hope people bring set ups like they should (im planning on bringing a wii, but I dont have a portable TV) im gonna guess theres like 30/40 people, If I can get another capture card quick enough then we can record the crew battle... and well, without a side event like there was at the FX game where alot of the brawl players were in melee, calling players and getting the games done will be easy.

NeoBatou

Smash Ace
Crew battles are only if the other cities agree to it.

Once doubles and singles are done, I mean we can plan something before singles are done to get a head count.

No low tier, I'm sick and tired of low tier.......if anything, it'll be mid tier doubles or wasseda if you guys want a side event.

If no side event and you want a crew battle, I'm all up for it.

NeoBatou

Smash Ace
Sick and tired of low tier? Dude. I'm sick and tired of absolutely NO low tier side events. Like at all.

There's probably a good reason why low tier isn't played anymore.

Most people are tired of it....used to play it alot in the past though.

We have found more ways to play brawl that can make it more enjoyable.

Highlander
Duelist Pro
Ivysaur/Jigglypuff/Ganondorf/Metaknight Challenge
Skyworld Randoms
Random Any stage
Wasseda Doubles
Items Standard Play

The closest side event I would do involving low tier is low/mid tier doubles....but most people tend to do wasseda.

D

Deleted member

Yay, only one week till this! Hype! Hopefully I can get my new white GC controller in the mail soon enough, my purple old GC controller has taken a beating in the last like 4 years.

D

Deleted member

Hey, I dont think I can bring anything to use to record but is it alright to bring my laptop to use for the tournament match ups, I have the tio tournament organizer.

NeoBatou

Smash Ace
Hey, I dont think I can bring anything to use to record but is it alright to bring my laptop to use for the tournament match ups, I have the tio tournament organizer.
Bring what you can. Denti already has the TIO File on his laptop so no worries on that.

If you wish to record, that's all up to you, but we need people to post the replays on youtube. So if you have the capabilities to do that then your more than welcome to bring it. The more the merrier.

Right now Swaka and Neon are the ones that usually record matches so having a third would be nice too.

D

Deleted member

Bring what you can. Denti already has the TIO File on his laptop so no worries on that.

If you wish to record, that's all up to you, but we need people to post the replays on youtube. So if you have the capabilities to do that then your more than welcome to bring it. The more the merrier.

Right now Swaka and Neon are the ones that usually record matches so having a third would be nice too.
I said I probably cant bring a recording set up, I can bring a wii itself with infinite recording time though. I just cant record it myself, so i might send it to one of the other people who can record after were done with the tournament! But I was just offering for the TIO thing. you never know, more computers for the tio might make matches go faster. I wouldn't mind helping. oh and uh, are textures/stage menu changes allowed?

Top Bottom