• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Batmafia: A BRoom Game moved to DGames

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
**** if Catwoman stole from me I could've just kicked back. Joker card would be seen as "omfg EE is the joker BURNNNNN"

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
Don't sweat it Cashed, I was attempting to post in a way that would ideally get any sort of focus off of Scav, since I'd much rather have Scav in a late game than myself since it was still my first game. Unfortunately, from the night 1 actions that didn't really work out well, and I ended up dead to boot. And early Mafia kill woulda been pretty nice, though.

Plus, I did push for the Jester lynch, but that was moreso since we wanted to lynch EE first regardless of any other happenings in the game. Plus, I already banked on Medi being mafia again, and the only other person with votes at the time was Xsyvern. And I really didn't think both the mafia from lsat game would be mafia again.

Yeroc

Theory Coder
BRoomer
I'm still kicking myself for not thinking the roleclaims through and making better choices. We could have ended up with a hero (ideally Nightwing, who had a nightkill just like me), a dead hero, and a powerless Cashed in the wake of the day's revelation that one of the heroes died and he wasn't who he said he was. It'd have killed Virg's plan, though he'd have been removed as a threat to us either way, and we'd have wreaked havoc on the town, ideally using tmw's kills to win us the game in a day or 2. Arghhhhhh >_<

Edit: I see we wouldn't have killed Virg Night 2. Hmm, well, I did guess right about that part, but we still should have nicked the Batman.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Iggy, you were only on the chopping block for your poor choice of words. Saying you voted to simply tip the scale.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
I want to be in the next one!

I'm not 100% sure how to play over the internet, but I'm sure it can't be TOO difficult to pick up.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
And, yeah, I felt this game was pretty uneven. Basically, I don't think that a sort-of mafia recruiter was enough counter to a three-man town masonry, with two extreme power roles and a fourth player who could step in to fill the gap if one of those power roles was taken down.

The Jailbreak event had the potential to be just as damaging to the mafia as it could have been to the town, depending on who got lynched. Moreover, if the mafia broke out of jail while the townies still had a majority, they would have quickly been re-lynched, while townies in the same situation would have been pretty much un-lynchable. Jailbreak is actually something that was far more dangerous to the mafia than it was to the town.

Then, on top of the Batmasonry, the town had two other masonries. One was a pure masonry, the other was between two "cops". On the subject of the "cops", I don't feel like the criminal record deal was as dangerous to the town as some people seem to think. I think that, once the town lynched someone with a criminal record, they would realize that they were unreliable. They might attract suspicion to an innocent player, but the advantage that the mafia could gain from them was smaller than it seems like it would be.

Finally, Mourning would have helped us significantly, but it was very luck dependent. Actually, I felt like every advantage the town had was surefire. Every disadvantage they had was based on them having bad luck. The mafia nightkilling Barbara Gordon. The "cops" investigating people with criminal records who weren't mafia. Jailbreak happening at the right point so that it released mostly mafia (who might be lynched ASAP anyway), and not mostly townies (who would never be lynched again).

Despite all this, I had a fun time with the game. Lots of cool roles, lots of cool things that could happen. So I like this game, but not as a balanced mafia game (because it wasn't), but as a game for testing out roles, and stuff that could happen.

Lastly, the mafia loss was something that I feel could have been avoided, although it would have been hard. I take full responsibility for my horrible roleclaim, and I think that my death hurt the mafia a lot. I don't know if we could have won, but I think we could have put up a much better fight if we'd played a bit smarter. Particularly, if I'd played a bit smarter, and a bit more carefully.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
Nightwing could only join the batfamily through jailbreak
Ah, see, that's something I hadn't realized, and something that evens up the game a bit, in my eyes.

I still feel that it was tilted in the town's favor, but I now think we could have won if we'd played a bit smarter than we did.

Yeroc

Theory Coder
BRoomer
The mass roleclaim was another thing that helped them a lot. It was pretty straightforward, and hard to dodge in a theme like this, and the only thing that almost derailed it was a lucky stalk on my part.

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
Good lord, guys. Do you think enough of you did stuff to me night 1? I feel popular :p

Or stupid. *shakes fist at EasyEye*

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
I expect an apology for killing me so early >: (

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
At the beginning of the game I thought you were scripted to die, as Tom simply said you were playing the game, you yourself didn't post and say "I wanna play!" I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people thought that.

And from what I hear, you and Scav were the choices for the Night 0 kill, but Medi didn't want to be mean to Scav a second time.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
And plz don't lynch me right away next game for being so manipulative once I turned. :(

Well, trying.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
I was positive Eor was scripted to die and that his role would be to gather and elicit information after faking his death, then come back on night 2 or whatever. You know, like in Dark Knight.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
I was positive EE killed me. Dead positive.

Xsyven and I investigated EE and got a positive on it, and we were estatic. Then I went out with friends that nght, then thought "wait, if EE is mafia...he's going to get me killed. That's exactly what EE would do", but by the time I got home and could inform Xsyven, I was already dead. So I was positive EE killed me. Completely positive.

Yeroc

Theory Coder
BRoomer
You were my call, they wanted to kill Scav because it looked more like something someone else would have done besides Medi. But I had a feeling you were the bigger threat. I was right, luckily. Sorry.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
You were my call, they wanted to kill Scav because it looked more like something someone else would have done besides Medi. But I had a feeling you were the bigger threat. I was right, luckily. Sorry.
I recall a number of reasons we didn't kill Scav, one of them being this.

I was pretty definite on Eor, once I'd weighed the advantages and disadvantages.

tmw_redcell

ULTRA GORGEOUS
BRoomer
Also I should point out that I am a genius and the mass nameclaim was my idea, as well as switching our claims around. Although we were oping the order would be that Cashed got nightkilled, then I would be Batman and Virg would still be Nightwing. Then I'd die and Virg could step out as Batman if we hadn't won by that point.

The night I died I figured I would probably be targeted, but we decided to protect Batman because we figured there would be some deadly event if Batman died.

I gotta say though that this was the most fun I've had in a mafia game. Me, Virg, and Cashed were an unbeatable team. I think part of the reason why we beat the mafia is we just spent more time going over the thread and thinking over every option. The only thing we didn't do carefully was our first nightkill. The other guys felt desperate and I got swept up in it. If we had gone for Marc instead of Iggy we'd probably be meeting each other in real life to high five right about now. By the end of the second night we had a pretty good picture of the game. The only things we were pretty sure about that didn't happen were that Bane or Ra's would be in the game, and that something bad would happen if Batman died. Also I figured one of the inactives was an independent.

Also, me and Virg were utterly pissed when Yeroc was all "duh virg is saying he's nightwing but he's not, can anyone explain that?" when he would have known that I was nightwing and wasn't counterclaiming. We were so pissed until we figured Yeroc was either independent or mafia..

Also if Marc had recruited Virg instead of Cashed we probably would have been boned. Virg could have said that Marc came up clean in his investigation.

Also I could have won this game Day 1 if I could have gotten everyone to say "I have a criminal record." Then I'd just daykill everyone but me. But I didn't even think of that until my role changed, plus nobody would go along with it.

Also Scav you are dumb for attracting so much attention. The whole "Eor died it must be EE" thing was so annoying. Even when you came up clear we had it as an option for a long time that you were a godfather.

Also another thing me and cashed wanted to do. Before the night when I died, we wanted t say "xsyven and others, don't waste an investigation on us, one of us will probably die tonight anyway." But it was past the deadline and we were kinda hoping you'd figure out not to.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
I wouldn't say Scav was dumb for that, if EE was mafia he would of killed me, so it's not a bad assumption to make so early.

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
I draw lots of attention in every game of Mafia I play, RL or online :) next game I play, I'll be just as vocal and vehement when I think I'm right. Which I thought I was.

In other words, NO U R!

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
Actually, for that precise reason, I really wouldn't have killed Eor on night 1. I admit I'm too green to know the doc usually protects Eor night 1, but I'm savvy enough to know that Eor dying paints me up like Dolly Parton.

Yeroc

Theory Coder
BRoomer
lol, sorry Medi. I felt like I had to sell my plan to you guys, at least at first. Marc for sure anyhow.

I feel like I should have helped you more with coming up with a better role. I wasn't totally sold on it initially, but you seemed confident enough so I let you go with it, and that didn't turn out so well. :(

My biggest mistakes this game were undoubtedly the claim reveal and not picking Virg. Though we did have a lot of fun scheming with Cashed, and the challenge of trying to undermine the Batman made the game worth fighting for even after I was pretty sure we were going to lose, but we still had a few possibilities left to try.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
Also, just so I don't seem like a complete idiot for my Firebird nameclaim...

I also came up with the Terry McGinnis nightclaim. Everyone in the mafia thought it was probably the strongest one out there, and that Marc was our most valuable player, so we figured we'd give it to him.

My main fault came in not doing sufficient research about my character to see just how minor she was, and in being unwilling to take a chance by going with a nameclaimed that would be more likely to be counterclaimed, but stronger if it wasn't. If I had done those things, I think the mafia could have lasted significantly longer in this game.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Actually, for that precise reason, I really wouldn't have killed Eor on night 1. I admit I'm too green to know the doc usually protects Eor night 1, but I'm savvy enough to know that Eor dying paints me up like Dolly Parton.
Like a *****?

Matunas

I'm a monster!
BRoomer
NNID
Matunas
I have to say it sucked dying so early in the game but it was crazy keeping up on this.

The mass nameclaim was fun to watch unfold and the whole batmasonry ended up making me question things for a moment. I'd say that it was balanced in the town's favor overall, but a single event could have tipped the scales either direction.

Overall fun game to sorta participate in.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
the cult of cthulhu game is up :D

discussion of batmafia is still absolutely welcome

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
This game was crazy.

We started off doing really well, but the nameclaim kicked our *****. It usually isn’t a factor in games like this and the three of us (Medi, Yeroc, me) were all forced to lie, as our names would give us away immediately. I also can’t help but feel the Town had too much going for them. We plowed through power role after power role and several masonries, but it was just too much. My power was pretty hot, but Yeroc’s and Medi’s were pretty... mediocre. The jail break could have helped us a lot more if it had happened later on, but that’s just bad luck I guess. Not even Tom could have seen the nameclaim coming though and I’m going to go ahead and say that Virg’s team played really well. Their biggest mistake was killing Iggy instead of me. But yeah, a little more balance wouldn’t have hurt. Ironically, that’s the exact thing that made my nameclaim stand out for Batsy & Co.

It’s pretty sad Medi’s nameclaim turned out to be the weakest. Behind the scenes he provided us with lots of knowledge about the comics and he also came up with my claim, which I still think is really good. Yeroc didn’t post that much, but he was really involved on AIM and definitely helped out a lot. Recruiting Cashed proved to be a fun experience as well, plotting to kill the Bat*** was a blast. Thanks, guys!

As for the recruitment... I could only do it once and the lives of me and the recruitee would become tied. I don’t think anyone saw this coming and the limitation wasn’t exactly necessary IMO. I wanted Batman, but got Alfred. It didn’t really matter, because at that point both Virg and Cashed knew I was active Mafia and one of them had to be stopped during the day. It’s really hard to survive when you’ve been investigated, you’ll get the one accusing you lynched first at best. I’m surprised it still took Virg several novels to convince everyone. I’d also like to point out that I was both Mafia and Lovers aligned when I died. If I were to make it to the end, it would be a win for me and Cashed (and EE). By the time I recruited Cashed, the situation was already pretty much impossible. Cashed, Yeroc and me have been talking for a pretty long time, but couldn’t come up with anything really good to stop Virg from ending the game. We didn’t want to just give up straight away, so we kept trying. That’s more entertaining IMO and maybe we could have gotten Virg kiled first. Props to Virg for ending it the way he did and seeing through the recruitment.

One of the most fun Mafia games I’ve ever played, despite losing. Thanks, Tom! I do have one question, could you provide us with the order of night actions? I want to see if I/we could have made a better choice. For example, I was under the impression I couldn't recruit AFTER Yeroc investigated because it seemed more logical to me. ~~

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
Yeah: if you guys had recruited me instead of Cashed I think the game might have ended quite differently. Just goes to show we hid our identities pretty well :)

Also, Mafia almost won this game: Scav and Ricky were idiots and immediately voted for me at the start of the 3rd day. If Marc, Yeroc and Cashed were on top of things they could have jumped on that, gotten 5 votes, killed me and then had their way with town with Cashed claiming town. Just goes to show you jumping at the votes never works out well for town!

Also when Xsyven said

I'm out.

*sits back and watches*
In all honesty, I think Virg just got paranoid. Cashed posted without consulting someone. Big deal. I see them both as two townies in a Mexican standoff due to paranoia.
You really think we, in a mason and Batman + Alfred were paranoid? Man, you're killing me! Anyways, good job to Mafia: if one or two things just happened to change I think you would ave had the game.

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
I was on when those 2 votes were cast and was considering the possibility. There was a quick unvote and I didn't get in touch with Yeroc and Cashed in time. Your identity game worked out well, I agree. I don't have any major regrets about how we (Mafia) played, but there's always room for improvement.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
@Marc: The order of how the night actions went during the night was different, but I still wanted to get every night action submitted before I started them. I wanted to avoid Batman investigation, turns up mafia, Nightwing kills, so I required all night actions in before they happened. However, once they were all in, the order was basically:

Scarecrow's roleblock
Batfamily roleblock
Poison Ivy Convert
Batfamily other possible actions
Two-face stalk
Cop investigation
Riddler investigation
Catwoman steal
Mafia kill

so roleblocks come before docblocks come before investigations come before kill, but a roleblock wont stop a kill like a docblock will

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
Thanks, Tom.

I'm planning to host a mafia on the Dutch boards based on this game (no Batman theme though). I'll rebalance it for a bit and won't have events, but I'm keeping most of the other stuff in one way or another. ^^

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
As you can all see, this is another game that was moved from the BRoom to DGames about a year after completion and after being pruned of personal, non-mafia information. It has also been edited for spoilers, in case you are awesome and practice your scumhunting by reading the thread with no spoilers.

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
A super-powered Joker role would have been awesome.

mentosman8

BRoomer
BRoomer
W00t got pretty much all the scum called by the time Medi was lynchedXD(I knew there had to be a recruiter with how strong town wasXD)

Top Bottom