• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Batmafia: A BRoom Game moved to DGames

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
I'm going to be traveling over the next few days. I won't have internet tonight but tomorrow I'm stopping and spending the night at SleepyK's house near Atlanta so I'll have internet Thursday. Then Friday I won't have internet until that night because I'll be driving to Memphis. Just thought I would let you all know. If you guys reach a majority or what not I'll just catch up to you guys.

Yeroc

Theory Coder
BRoomer
I'm really stumped here. There's not much more I can say. All I was really trying to do yesterday was extract myself from the umbrella of suspicion you'd cast over me and the two mafiats, Virg. You had them pretty well pegged, and I didn't try to refute that, yet now I'm "on their side" because I defended myself against complicitous accusations? I never defended Marc. I sincerely wish I'd gotten a successful investigation because then I wouldn't be in this mess because after I said I was undecided about his claim, it obviously was enough for you to consider me in league with him, knowing what you knew. Honestly, at this point I feel like you could point a finger at anyone left in the game and people would flock to your banner because you're Batman. I'd probably be with them if I weren't on the chopping block.

Scav, the recruiter had been unmasked and disposed of, and yet I'm still suspect on those grounds? With a lover type recruitment role, if I were a part of that I'd be dead already as well. I'd have thought that more convincing of my innocence, especially for you, than anything I could have said yesterday.

I can confirm Kevin M is the Penguin, btw.

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
With all of the evidence I pointed at Marc, you never said "yeah, he looks suspicious." You just defended the side accusation of you. You didn't even vote for him or me because you didn't want to vote against your fellow mafia or indict yourself when I was right and show you were trying to strike back against me.

Xsy is clean. Scav is clean. Alt is clean. Kevin was dirty, but I believe him to be clean. Ricky is goofy, but apparently clean. I've always suspected you since yesterday and it's been proven right.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Oh, god. So much reading. I nearly want to vote off Virg so I don't have to read his novels anymore! :)

I don't think I have to do a whole lot of defending myself at this point. I have some people vouching for myself of the likes of Virg, and I don't have an attractive role like everyone else, so I'm fairly low on the priority list in terms of who to investigate, etc...

As for who I think is mafia? I actually like Virg's picks of Yeroc and Marc. I didn't find Yeroc's rebuttal to be very convincing, he hasn't been terribly active, and everyone else seems to have good alibi's...

Vote: Yeroc

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
Tom was killed by his renegade gingerbread army :)
The Gingerbread Tarmy will never betray me! They are loyal and delicious!

---

As the public begins to rally against Yeroc, he decides to give himself up. Casting the final vote on himself, he steps out of the courthouse and meets with Batman.

"You're going away for good, Harvey."

"You know... that might not be such a bad thing" he remarks as he holds his hands together for the cuffs.

Yeroc, Harvey Dent, Two-face (mafia stalker) has been lynched!

Day 4 ends!

Town and Jester joint win!

Good job, town. Like always, I would love to hear your honest opinions about the game. It was very different from Highschool Mafia. If you would like to continue and play a new game, I have one lined up that is very much like mafia, simple, and very interesting. Less guesswork on the roles and more hunting for mafia.

PMs, night-actions, and summaries to come shortly.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
I still don't get why Yeroc voted for himself...

And I really was just a vanilla townie, unless Tom had something in store that he didn't tell me like last time.

tmw_redcell

ULTRA GORGEOUS
BRoomer
I kinda think the game was balanced against the mafia. They had to face a ton of investigators/semi-investigators. I think it would have been more balanced if Marc's role simply recruited someone into the mafia, rather than making them lovers.

Also we were wondering were there any more "events" that could happen, like the jailbreak?

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
Role PMs:

Sent to Virgilijus said:
You are Bruce Wayne, philanthropist by day, and Batman, the feared Dark Knight by night. You are a multi-powered townie. Every night, you can choose one (1) of the following actions: investigate someone (ie cop), protect someone (ie doctor), roleblock someone, or steal an item from someone (ie thief) that reveals a bit of their character. Because of your extensive knowledge of the Gotham criminal underground, after investigation, you will be told if someone is part of the ACTIVE mafia with no bearing on their past criminal record -- this is an advantage you have over normal cops. When you protect someone, it is like a doctor's protection, not like a bodyguard's protection. When you roleblock someone, they are not able to make any night action that night. When you steal an item from someone, it will give you a hint at their identity but will have no effect on their play. You are in a masonry with Robin (Marshy), the boy wonder, and Alfred Pennyworth (Cashed), butler of Wayne Manor. You can talk to them at any time, Day or Night, but you must send me a copy of your conversation. Robin chooses one (1) power from your list of four powers to do at night, but he cannot choose a power that you chose that same night, so be sure to work together. You have no criminal record, are town aligned, and win when all of the mafia are sent to Arkham Asylum.
Sent to Cashed said:
You are Alfred Pennyworth, butler to Wayne Manor. You have no special powers of your own, but you are in a masonry with Batman (Virgilijus), the feared Dark Knight, and Robin (Marshy), the boy wonder. You can talk to them at any time, Day or Night, but you must send me a copy of your conversation. You have no criminal record, are town aligned, and win when all of the mafia are sent to Arkham Asylum.
Sent to Marshy said:
You are Tim Drake, detective prodigy by day, and Robin, the boy wonder by night. You are a multi-powered townie. Every night, you can choose one (1) of the following actions: investigate someone (ie cop), protect someone (ie doctor), roleblock someone, or steal an item from someone (ie thief) that reveals a bit of their character. Because of your extensive knowledge of the Gotham criminal underground, after investigation, you will be told if someone is part of the ACTIVE mafia with no bearing on their past criminal record -- this is an advantage you have over normal cops. When you protect someone, it is like a doctor's protection, not like a bodyguard's protection. When you roleblock someone, they are not able to make any night action that night. When you steal an item from someone, it will give you a hint at their identity but will have no effect on their play. You are in a masonry with Batman (Virgilijus), the Dark Knight, and Alfred Pennyworth (Cashed), butler of Wayne Manor. You can talk to them at any time, Day or Night, but you must send me a copy of your conversation. Batman chooses one (1) power from your list of four powers to do at night, but he cannot choose a power that you chose that same night, so be sure to work together. You have no criminal record, are town aligned, and win when all of the mafia are sent to Arkham Asylum.
Sent to Evil Eye said:
You are Dr. Harleen Quinzel, former psychoanalyst at Arkham Asylum and now criminal Harley Quinn. You are the lover and criminal partner of the Joker, who is currently locked up in Arkham Asylum. You have full knowledge of the facilities there and your objective is to break the Joker out of his cell. To do this, you must be voted to go to Arkham. You are the jester, and your goal is to be lynched. Upon successfully reaching your goal, you will cause a jailbreak, releasing everyone who is in Arkham Asylum back into the town. The Joker will also make a devious unknown action, and then you both will escape out of the city. You have a criminal record, are independently aligned, and win when you are lynched.
Sent to Marc said:
You are Pamela Lillian Isley, former botanist from Seattle and now toxic-based supervillainess Poison Ivy. You are in the mafia with the stalker Two-face (Yeroc) and the roleblocker Scarecrow (Mediocre). Because of your mastery of seduction and herbology, once during the game, at night, you can choose someone to recruit for your side. It is important for you to note that you will become Lovers with this person -- if you die, they die; if they die, you die. That person will still have all their previous powers, and you BOTH will become Lovers aligned. This means that you are both mafia aligned and lovers aligned when you do this, but your mafia partners will still think you are solely mafia aligned and you are still able to talk with them as if you were. Every night, the mafia will collectively choose one person to kill in the night. Two-face will be the person to send me the PM with the night-kill target, and if he is dead, the power will be passed to Scarecrow, and if he is dead, the power will be passed to Poison Ivy. You have a criminal record, you are mafia aligned, and win when the mafia possesses a majority of the town population. If you become Lovers aligned, then you win if both lovers are the only ones alive at the end of the game -- this does mean that at the end, you will turn on your former mafia partners and kill them. PM me if you do not understand the complexities of your role.
Sent to Mediocre said:
You are Dr. Jonathan Crane, former psychiatrist at Arkham Asylum and now super-villain Scarecrow. You are in the mafia with the stalker Two-face (Yeroc) and the recruiter Poison Ivy (Marc). You are a roleblocker; each night, you can choose someone to target with your incapacitating gas. That target will not be able to make any night action. Every night, the mafia will collectively choose one person to kill in the night. Two-face will be the person to send me the PM with the night-kill target, and if he is dead, the power will be passed to Scarecrow, and if he is dead, the power will be passed to Poison Ivy. You have a criminal record, you are mafia aligned, and win when the mafia possesses a majority of the town population.
Sent to Yeroc said:
You are Harvey Dent, ex-District Attorney of Gotham City and now super-criminal Two-face. You are in the mafia with the roleblocker Scarecrow (Mediocre) and recruiter Poison Ivy (Marc). You are a stalker; with your knowledge as an ex-District Attorney, you can choose one person each night and you will learn their identity but NOT their ability. (for example, if you were to target yourself, you would learn "[Your name] is Harvey Dent, Two-face" and NOT "[Your name] is Harvey Dent, Two-face, a mafia aligned stalker.") However, because of your obsession with duality, I will flip a coin. If heads, you will receive the proper message; if tails, you will receive the message "The coin flipped tails, you did not stalk anyone." Every night, the mafia will collectively choose one person to kill in the night. Two-face will be the person to send me the PM with the night-kill target, and if he is dead, the power will be passed to Scarecrow, and if he is dead, the power will be passed to Poison Ivy. You have a criminal record, you are mafia aligned, and win when the mafia possesses a majority of the town population.
Sent to Ignatius said:
You are Kate Kane, also known as the Batwoman. You fight crime with your lesbian lover Renee Montoya, also known as The Question. You are in a masonry with The Question (Scav) -- you can talk to them at any time, Day or Night, but you must send me a copy of your conversation. You have no night actions. You have no criminal record, are town aligned, and win when all of the mafia are sent to Arkham Asylum.
Sent to Scav said:
You are Renee Montoya, also known as the second incarnation of The Question. After being outed as a lesbian, you were kicked off of the police force; you were later trained by Charlie Szasz, The Question, to be his replacement. You now work with your lesbian lover, Kate Kane (known as Batwoman) to fight crime and bring peace to the city of Gotham. You are in a masonry with the Batwoman (Iggy) -- you can talk to them at any time, Day or Night, but you must send me a copy of your conversation. You have no night actions. You have no criminal record, are town aligned, and win when all of the mafia are sent to Arkham Asylum.
Sent to Matunas said:
You are Edward Nigma, better known as the Riddler. You are a former criminal super-genius, but now you use your genius-level deductive reasoning and vast esoteric knowledge as a freelance detective. Every night, you can send me the name of one person you would like to observe. You will then discover their power, but not their identity (for example, if you were to observe yourself, you would be told "[Your name] is a freelance detective." and NOT "[Your name] is the Riddler."). You have a criminal record, but you are town aligned and you win when all of the mafia are sent to Arkham Asylum.
Sent to GoldShadow said:
You are Oswald Chesterfield Cobblepot, better known as the Penguin. You are a former criminal super-genius, but now the legitimate and respected owner of the Iceburg Lounge. You are a townie with no special powers. You have a criminal record, but you are town aligned and you win when all of the mafia are sent to Arkham Asylum.
Sent to Crimson King said:
You are Selina Kyle, better known as the Catwoman. You are a thief, and every night you choose someone from whom to steal. You will then receive an item that acts as a clue pertaining to their character. This item is only a clue to their character and cannot be used by either you or them in play. You have a criminal record, but you are town aligned and you win when all of the mafia are sent to Arkham Asylum.
Sent to Xsyven said:
You are Harvey Bullock of the Gotham City Police Department. You are a cop, along with Commissioner James Gordon (Eor). You can talk to Gordon at any time, but but you must send me a copy of your conversation. Every night, you two must decide on someone to investigate together. Gordon will be the one to PM me the choice, and if he dies, that duty obviously passes along to Harvey. You will be sent one of two response messages: "[Your target] has a history of criminal activity.", or "[Your target] has no history of criminal activity." Remember that not every person in Gotham City has a history of criminal activity, but the majority of those who do are mafia aligned. You have no criminal record, are town aligned, and win when all of the mafia are sent to Arkham Asylum.
Sent to Eor said:
You are Commissioner James Gordon of the Gotham City Police Department. You are a cop, along with Harvey Bullock (Xsyven). You can talk with Harvey at any time, but you must send me a copy of your conversation. Every night, you two must decide on someone to investigate together. Gordon will be the one to PM me the choice, and if he dies, that duty obviously passes along to Harvey. You will be sent one of two response messages: "[Your target] has a history of criminal activity.", or "[Your target] has no history of criminal activity." Remember that not every person in Gotham City has a history of criminal activity, but the majority of those who do are mafia aligned. You have no criminal record, are town aligned, and win when all of the mafia are sent to Arkham Asylum.
Sent to AltF4Warrior said:
You are Barbara Gordon, daughter of the Commissioner of the Gotham City Police Department. You are a townie with no special powers. You have no criminal record, are town aligned, and win when all of the mafia are sent to Arkham Asylum.
Sent to tmw_redcell said:
You are Dick Grayson, former boy wonder and now vigilante figure Nightwing. You have separated from the Dark Knight due to age and differences of opinion over his no-kill policy pertaining to criminals. If someone declares throughout the course of the game that they have a criminal record, or I (as the Game Master) declare that they have a criminal record or are mafia aligned, you have the option of stealth killing them. They will be immediately killed and their identity and alignment will be revealed; you will not be mentioned at all. They have to personally admit to having a criminal record -- someone cannot accuse them of having one. When you send me your kill command, please link me to the post in which they admitted their criminal record. Remember that while some people with criminal records are not part of the mafia, the majority of them are... and mafia members may lie and say they are innocents with a record. You have no criminal record, are town aligned, and win when all of the mafia are sent to Arkham Asylum.
and

Sent to tmw_redcell said:
After Event: Jailbreak, you are now masoned with Virgilijus (Batman) and Cashed (Alfred Pennyworth).

This is your new Role:

You are Dick Grayson, former solo vigilante figure and now Nightwing, partnered with the Dark Knight. The Joker has killed Robin and you have been called in to take his place. You are a multi-powered townie. Every night, you can choose one (1) of the following actions: investigate someone (ie cop), protect someone (ie doctor), roleblock someone, or vigilante kill someone. Because of your extensive knowledge of the Gotham criminal underground, after investigation, you will be told if someone is part of the ACTIVE mafia with no bearing on their past criminal record -- this is an advantage you have over normal cops. When you protect someone, it is like a doctor's protection, not like a bodyguard's protection. When you roleblock someone, they are not able to make any night action that night. You are the only person who will kill someone, as Batman has rules to follow and you do not. You are in a masonry with Batman (Virgilijus), the Dark Knight, and Alfred Pennyworth (Cashed), butler of Wayne Manor. You can talk to them at any time, Day or Night, but you must send me a copy of your conversation. Batman chooses one (1) power from your list of four powers to do at night, but he cannot choose a power that you chose that same night, so be sure to work together. You have no criminal record, are town aligned, and win when all of the mafia are sent to Arkham Asylum.

PM me with any questions you might have.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
Night Actions:

NIGHT 0:
Batman: protect Marshy (Robin) - SUCCEEDS
Robin: investigate Goldshadow (Penguin) - FAILS + SENT
Catwoman: steal from Cashed (Alfred) - SUCCEEDS + SENT
Riddler: observe Marshy (Robin) - SUCCEEDS + SENT
Cops: investigate EE (Jester) SUCCEEDS + SENT
2Face: stalk Scav (The Quesion) - FAILS + SENT
Scarecrow: roleblock Marshy (Robin) - SUCCEEDS
Ivy: Pass on convert
Mafia: kill Eor - SUCCEEDS

NIGHT 1:
Batman: investigate Scav - SUCCEEDS
Nightwing: kill Ignatius - SUCCEEDS
Catwoman: steal from Scav - SUCCEEDS
Riddler: investigate Scav - FAILS DUE TO DEATH
Cops: investigate Scav - SUCCEEDS
2Face: stalk tmw_redcell (Nightwing) - SUCEEDS
Scarecrow: roleblock Scav - SUCCEEDS
Ivy: Pass on convert
Mafia: kill Matunas (Riddler) - SUCCEEDS

NIGHT 2:
Batman: investigate Marc (Ivy) - SUCCEEDS, SENT
Nightwing: protect virgilijus (Batman), FAILS DUE TO DEATH
Catwoman: steal from AltF4 (Barbara) - SUCCEEDS, SENT
Cops: investigate Cashed (Alfred) - SUCCEEDS, SENT
2Face: stalk virgilijus (Batman) - SUCCEEDS, SENT
Ivy: convert cashed (Alfred) - SUCCEEDS, SENT
Mafia: kill redcell (Nightwing) - SUCCEEDS

NIGHT 3:
Batman: protect self - SUCCEEDS, SENT
Catwoman: steal from Xsyven (Bullock) - SUCEEDS, SENT
Cops: investigate KevinM (Penguin) - SUCEEDS, SENT
2Face: stalk KevinM (Penguin) - SUCCEEDS, SENT
Mafia: kill Virgilijus (Batman) - FAILS, DOC BLOCKED

Item list:
1. Batman - a batarang
2. Robin - a birdarang
3. Alfred - the keys to Wayne Manor
4. Commissioner Gordon - a police badge
5. Barbara Gordon - the keys to Gordon Residence
6. Harvey Bullock - a sticker that says "Hello, my name is: Harvey"
7. Catwoman - a whip
8. Penguin - an umbrella
9. Riddler - a question mark symbol
10. Nightwing - a birdarang
11. The Question - a question mark symbol
12. Batwoman - a batarang
13. Two-face - a coin
14. Scarecrow - some straw
15. Poison Ivy - a rose
16. Harley Quinn - a joker card

Events:
1.) Jailbreak: If Harley Quinn is lynched, the Joker will cause a jailbreak and everyone in Arkham Asylum (town and mafia) will be freed; this jailbreak does not revive all the townspeople who have been killed (Mafia cannot die at night before Event: Jailbreak). Batman will then be asked a series of questions over companionship or experience, and based on the answers to these vague questions, either Grayson or Drake will be killed. If Drake is killed, Grayson will re-join the Batfamily.

2.) Mourning: If Barbara Gordon is killed, the next night phase will be followed by another night phase in which only characters with a criminal record can make actions. All other characters will be "mourning" the loss of the Beloved Princess.

3.) Turnabout: If the Mafia possesses a majority over the town, they will each get a flavor scene where they kill a townie. The Lovers will then turn around and backstab the Mafia, killing them and being the sole survivors of the game. Note that Mafia still wins the game, they only die in the flavor. The win will be Mafia/Lovers(/Jester?)

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
I had a lot of fun with this, but it was unfortunate that I died so early. After death I was able to guess most of the Mafia, but I picked Goldshadow/KevinM incorrectly, stupid Penguin.

It also looks like a lot of game was fortunately spent learning about Scav, which worked out since he was basically just a vanilla.

I also really like the mourning and jailbreak combined, gives the mafia a bit more of a fighting chance. It was definitely a tough game for the mafia, and the Jailbreak could have gone a lot worse for us than it did.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
My unorganized thoughts about the game:

First of all, I would like to say again that I greatly enjoyed running this game for you all. I appreciate the effort with which you all played and honesty that it required to use AIM for a game but not communicate outside of your roles.

If Mafia feels shortchanged by their loss while Town still had 6 players remaining, I apologize, but the following information may account for the discrepancy between the town/mafia win ratio:

1.) While the cops could have gotten a criminal record investigation on a now-reformed townie like Penguin, Catwoman, or Riddler, they did not have the chance to persecute their investigation target with two votes as the lead cop died night 0.

2.) When mass roleclaim took place, Yeroc claimed Harvey Dent and was on thin ice, while Marc came up with a very good claim of Terry McGinnis. I have a feeling that the Batfamily actually bought the TMcG claim for the most part. However, Mediocre either claimed a Marvel comics character or misspelled his fake claim, instantly gaining the attention of the town. At this same time, The Penguin and Catwoman (criminal record townies) smartly and silently refused to claim and got away with it as the questionable claims gathered attention.

3.) Event: Jailbreak, if it resulted in Grayson's death, would have returned the jailed mafia back to the town. At this point, a majority might have been reached due to the increased mafia numbers. Also, the subsequent days would have been spent lynching already known criminals, while the nights would be spent killing townspeople.

4.) Event: Mourning would have given the mafia an extra kill (without possible doctor protection) and and extra possible stalk if the coin flipped heads (which it did 3/4 times).

5.) When Cashed was recruited by Marc, apparently he stopped talking to Virgilijus about mafia. This, coupled with his vote on Ricky, ended up tipping off Virgy that his fear of an Alfred Betrayal, although incorrect along the lines of how it happened (and how it could have happened to the "famously incorruptable Batman"), came true, and Virg caught it.

6.) Vague thief items never caused confusion.

7.) In a terrible mistake on my part, I forgot to make it so that the Batfamily doctor night-action could not target the self. When Virg protected himself as the mafia shot at him, I couldn't in good conscience change his PM on him at the last minute only to have him die. As they say on MS concerning role PMs: once they have been worded and sent, they are sent with that wording. =/ I felt absolutely awful about this.

All in all, the game's balance did fall upon a bit of randomness, and in the end, it fell greatly towards the town :psycho:. I hope this didn't detract from the experience you all had.

If you all would like to play another game, I have come up with a H.P. Lovecraft themed game of Assassins in the Palace. It would be very fun, but as always, I would like to gauge interest.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
@Alt: I promise that I don't hate you or anything by making you the Miller and then the Beloved Princess, two roles that the user doesn't know he is. The RNG (or pseudo RNG or whatever you correctly called it haha) assigned you a very similar role as last game. It did it to Mediocre too, assigning him to mafia roleblocker twice.

Yeroc

Theory Coder
BRoomer
No hard feelings about losing, but I'm somewhat in agreement with tmw, although Virg and I agree the game was VERY close. A LOT of it was still luck on our part. Killing Eor first night, tripping the Jester event before any townies could be redeemed, dodging a Vig kill, finding out who Nightwing was (though that eventually lost me the game too). About the only thing that could have gone more our way was Alt getting killed, though I had no idea about that, and losing my entire team in sequence put me in a no-win situation.

I knew from Cashed that Virg was gonna protect himself, but I figured that my only real shot this last day was to prove he didn't scope me out. He had me anyway. :(

Altogether, it was a really fun game.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
Tom, what were the conditions for Nightwing joining the Batmasonry? Was that something that could only happen because of Jailbreak, or would it have happened no matter how Robin got killed?

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
If Virg wouldn't have investigated Marc and known he was active mafia the night I was recruited, mafia would've been sitting pretty... pretty. Knowing that Marc was investigated though, I knew my new life as mafia was going to be rather short, so it was do or die, get the town to lynch the Batman, or die. And I died.

btw I'm firebird.

Oh and Iggy, I'm sorry for you getting killed. tmw, Virg and myself voted about ten minutes before the deadline that night on who to kill, you or Marc. We chose unwisely.

Top Bottom