• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Basketball Thread

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I saw it live. Still feel sick to my stomach.

Edit: Now that I am not on my cell phone.

It's not so much that I gave LA a puncher's chance in the playoffs as much as seeing my favorite player potentially end his career on such a sour note. Even if he does come back (which will probably be December), I'm not sure if he will ever be the same athletic wise. You just don't pop right back up when you're going on 35.

And I know they needed Kobe for this push, but when you're hurting and playing every minute, your body is going to give out on you. D'Antoni did this to Stoudamire and now Kobe is to fall.

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
Cleveland, Ohio! my homeplace but for now living i
well damn

WELCOME TO THE CLUB KOBE

yes people I too had this injury

im a almost a year and a half post injury and rehabbing still

i did it in track my senior year of college in the middle of a race for my team

and I said the EXACT same thing kobe did

"damn all that time training"

he will be back but the road is long from a messed up achilles (I am putting it lightly)
and difficult

kobe gonna have to do some soul searching cause that burst you had it gonna take a long time to pop up again

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
Alright, it's now officially the 2013 NBA Playoffs!

I'm still configuring my playoff bracket in my mind. I'm set with my Eastern Conference Picks, but with the West I keep flip-flopping. I'm just going to post my picks now and lock them in.

Round 1 East
Heat over Bucks 4-0
Knicks over Celtics 4-2
Pacers over Hawks 4-2
Bulls over Nets 4-2

Round 1 West
Thunder over Rockets 4-1
Spurs over Lakers 4-3
Nuggets over Warriors 4-3
Clippers over Grizzlies 4-1

East Semis
Heat over Bulls 4-1
Knicks over Pacers 4-2

West Semis
Thunder over Clippers 4-3
Nuggets over Spurs 4-2

Eastern Conference Finals
Heat over Knicks 4-2

Western Conference Finals
Thunder over Nuggets 4-3

NBA Finals
Heat over Thunder 4-2

Nike.

Smash Hero
Sup guiseeeeeeeeeeee.
Guess I'll come back for the playoffs.

Have the avis up hopefully tmrw when the site I steal from has em lol

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
Alright, it's now officially the 2013 NBA Playoffs!

I'm still configuring my playoff bracket in my mind. I'm set with my Eastern Conference Picks, but with the West I keep flip-flopping. I'm just going to post my picks now and lock them in.

Round 1 East
Heat over Bucks 4-0
Knicks over Celtics 4-2
Pacers over Hawks 4-2
Bulls over Nets 4-2

Round 1 West
Thunder over Rockets 4-1
Spurs over Lakers 4-3
Nuggets over Warriors 4-3
Clippers over Grizzlies 4-1

East Semis
Heat over Bulls 4-1
Knicks over Pacers 4-2

West Semis
Thunder over Clippers 4-3
Nuggets over Spurs 4-2

Eastern Conference Finals
Heat over Knicks 4-2

Western Conference Finals
Thunder over Nuggets 4-3

NBA Finals
Heat over Thunder 4-2
Everything seems right, but you're wrong on heat beating the bulls. Bulls crush heat, 4-2,
goes on to finals. We all know that the knicks can't beat the bulls bcuz they don't know
how to play defense.

:pow:

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
And so it begins
I know you're showing sarcasm based on what i said.
The heat is over overrated, and i know the bulls can beat the heat in a 7-game series.
Rose will be back and lebron will be worried. Wade or any guard on that team
can't stop rose and you know it.

Jane

Smash Hero
heat... overrated...

no. just no. they're playing phenomenal basketball; a better, more composed team from what we saw last year. i'm secretly hoping for a nuggets heat finals where the nuggets win.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I think the Heat are overrated. Ray Allen will no longer be effective, because he is sad that Steph Curry broke his single season 3 point record. Norris Cole is going to wake up to find his hair gone, and LBJ suddenly having a similar hair style. This will cause friction in the locker room, which will effect Bosh because he gets too emotional. Meanwhile, Rashard Lewis will get suspended again for steroids, leaving only Wade to be the only effective member on the team.

At this point, fans are going to want Pat Riley to start coaching when they fall into a big hole against the Knicks due to LBJ having flashbacks of them playing like the Mavs. 3 point shooting, zone defense, and a star player who finishes up the games with a loud mouth partner in crime (JR Smith).

Heat lose to Knicks 10-0.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Trolls gonna troll... I LOL'ed at Norris Cole losing his hair. XD

Time for dem predictions (I'm predicting round by round this time instead of the whole thing).

EAST:

Heat (1) vs Bucks (8) - Heat in 5 - The best team going into the playoffs vs arguably the worst... Bloodbath incoming? Only reason I'm predicting 5 games instead of a sweep is because Miami just doesn't sweep teams in the playoffs and the Bucks actually tend to play Miami very well. Let's not forget that Monta Ellis have it all. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7G9yS2-x5sA

Knicks (2) vs Celtics (7) - Knicks in 6 - This has the potential to be the most exciting first round match up. As much as I would LOVE to see the Celtics curb-stomp the Knicks I just don't see it happening. C's are going to miss Rondo more than they think and I just don't see Jeff Green being "that guy" that will take them to the next level. But there's no doubt in my mind that the geezers aren't gong down without a fight so I'm expecting some hard fought games. Expect games to get chippy. Dis gon be gud.

Pacers (3) vs Hawks (6) - Pacers in 6 - Probably will be the least-watched series in the first round, but I think it will be a bit more competitive than most think. Hawks will have to dictate the pace and prevent a slow, grind it out, half court game if they want a chance to win this series.

Nets (4) vs Bulls (5) - Nets in 7 - I could see this series being the most competitive one in the first round. It could really go either way, but with rumors circulating that Noah may not be available for this series, I have a really hard time seeing the Bulls coming out on top especially with D Will stepping up as of late.

WEST:

Thunder (1) vs Rockets (8) - Thunder in 5 - As lopsided as this match up is, it's gonna be great fun to see how Harden responds to going up against his old team. Kinda has a David vs Goliath feel to it. Houston has no chance but they do have enough offensive firepower to go off for a game or two and steal one on their home court.

Spurs (2) vs Lakers (7) - Spurs in 6 - This match up would have been soooooo much more exciting if Kobe was playing... Lakers have been playing some inspiring basketball that I think will carry into the playoffs while the Spurs have fallen off a bit, but unfortunately for the Lakers I don't think it'll be enough. I expect Pau and Dwight to dominate Duncan and Splitter but their lack of consistent perimeter play will be their downfall.

Nuggets (3) vs Warriors (6) - Nuggets in 6 - This will be another good one... Gonna be a fast paced series with high volume scoring everywhere. Warriors have the best player in this series (Curry) but Denver is just a well oiled machine that can come at you in so many ways. The offensive onslaught, altitude, and inexperience will end up being GSW's downfall.

Clippers (4) vs Grizzlies (5) - Clippers in 6 - How could anyone NOT be excited for this match up after last year's series between these two? These teams hate each other so expect games to get chippy. If Memphis wants to take this they'll need big games from Gasol and Randolph. Once again their lack of offensive firepower will prevent them from advancing but they are well coached, disciplined, and experienced enough to give the Clippers hell.

Jane

Smash Hero
i'll do that same as TRG, except with quick lazy analysis --

West:
Thunder vs Rockets - 4-3 Thunder. Strap yourselves in for an epic 1st rounder

Spurs vs Lakers - 4-0 Spurs. Man, I was actually REALLY looking forward to spurs vs lakers. the big four would finally be together, and the mamba was out for blood. :'( its seriously bringing me down just thinking about it. wouldve been an amazing series. sigh.

Nuggets vs Warriors - 4-1 Nuggets. Denver will mop them up real quick-like, unfortunately for Curry and crew.

Clippers vs Grizzlies - 4-2 Clippers. Will be a great series, but clippers are better this year, memphis slightly worse.

East:
Heat vs Bucks - 4-0. Next.

Knicks vs Boston - 4-1 Knicks. Too easy. I do hope Green delivers big though, gods know the C's need him to.

Pacers vs Hawks - 4-2 Pacers. It would be lulzy if hawks won. I would like that. But I actually don't give two ****s what happens here.

Nets vs Bulls - 4-3 Bulls. I expect a low-down, hard fought series from both sides. This will be the second best series of the first round.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Rockets got owned by OKC in the regular season and won one game in Houston by 2. Houston plays no D outside of Asik, and that just gives WB and KD a parade to get dunks and FTs.

I'm super lazy to make my predictions, but I'll just give the series, not explanations.

West:
Thunder vs Rockets - 4-1 Thunder.

Spurs vs Lakers - 4-3 Lakers: Going with my heart here. And the T-Mac curse LOL.

Nuggets vs Warriors - 4-2 Nuggets.

Clippers vs Grizzlies - 4-2 Clippers.

East:
Heat vs Bucks - 4-0. Next.

Knicks vs Boston - 4-2 Knicks.

Pacers vs Hawks - 4-2 Pacers.

Nets vs Bulls - 4-3 Nets.

strawhats

Smash Master
I know you're showing sarcasm based on what i said.
The heat is over overrated, and i know the bulls can beat the heat in a 7-game series.
Rose will be back and lebron will be worried. Wade or any guard on that team
can't stop rose and you know it.

sorry to burst your bubble but Thibodeau just released a statement yesterday saying that Rose is likely out for the whole post season. Also lmao at Theeboredone's post...It was pure gold.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
So far all of my predictions are looking solid. The Bulls looked like straight ass though... Makes what Coolwhip said that much more hilarious I guess.

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
That's just game 1 kid, series isn't over yet. Yeah, pooh is out for the rest of the playoffs,
but the bulls is still good enough to beat the nets.

and i still say the heat are overrated. Jordan didn't leave the team that drafted him
to team up with another superstar to win championships. The bulls builded around him
though the draft......six* rings later. The only superstar they got in FA was rodman,
and he sucked on offense. haha

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
yawn
wake me when the ECF starts
the only teams that can legit take out the heat is the knicks and boston and one of them is going home

spurs dont need to go i want the lakers to win because i think it would take dwight howard taking himself to the next level and becoming the superstar
spurs are injury ridden and i think it would be boring to see them

clippers are a bunch of guys and a sixth man being babysat by chris paul and he has internal issues that inhibit him from being a better leader
this is shown through some of the ***** ass things he does aka flopping
like him but he needs to gain something else.

okc got worse heat got better and if they meet they will get whooped on again. except it will be worse

maybe good though cause they will be forced to make adjustments

the lakers are the x factor of the west

i wish the nuggets and warriors were at full health they could go all the way too

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
That's just game 1 kid, series isn't over yet. Yeah, pooh is out for the rest of the playoffs,
but the bulls is still good enough to beat the nets.

and i still say the heat are overrated. Jordan didn't leave the team that drafted him
to team up with another superstar to win championships. The bulls builded around him
though the draft......six* rings later. The only superstar they got in FA was rodman,
and he sucked on offense. haha

Right because Jordan would have remained so damn loyal to the Cleveland Cavaliers if he was drafted by them. The Decision was an awful idea but LeBron played out his contract and had every right to play wherever he wanted. Build a bridge and get over it. And I'd recommend to get over it soon cause you're missing out on some historic basketball. No matter what mistakes he made in the past you just can't ignore what he's doing on the basketball court right now.

I have no prob with a guy sticking up for his team but your homerism is borderline silly.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Anyone find it hilarious that the Cavs are trying to recruit Phil Jackson? It's like me trying to get LeBron to play for my local rec league.

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
I think someone is getting ***off @ me. xD

@Strawhats: Tibs did say d-rose is "Likely out" meaning theres still a chance he could play
if the bulls advance in the playoffs.

ahchoomattchu

Smash Ace

lmao

Late predictions:

West
Thunder-Rockets = Thunder in 5. Harden will go nuts for one game, but that's it.

Spurs-Lakers = Spurs in 5. I would have believed everyone's predictions that the Lakers would "upset" or that this would be a 7-game series if only Kobe was healthy.

Nuggets-Warriors = Nuggets in 6. I originally had the Warriors to take it in 6, but poor David Lee had to go down.

Clippers-Grizzlies = Clippers in 5. CP3 is too damn good.

East
Heat-Bucks = lol

Knicks-Celtics = Knicks in 5. C's are just too hurt/old/shallow on the bench.

Indiana-Hawks = Pacers in 5.

Brooklyn-Chicago = Chicago in 7. It'll be ugly, but I'll take the more grittier and defensive-minded Bulls to upset.

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
great adjustment by mark jackson went small and realized they could outscore denver and defend when it counted
that shooting display was damn near immaculate 68% from the field what in Gods name...the whole team did work and luckily they get rest till friday

mark jackson can outcoach george karl and if its by the substantial amount he did last night then the warriors can win this series

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Given KD being really...shy of demanding the ball and what not. I really hope this forces him to elevate his game to what we all expect him to be. No more worrying about WB taking his shots in the fourth. The only downside is, they will be down a freak of nature PG who is really good on defense as well.

Top Bottom