• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Basketball Thread

LAW2222

Smash Journeyman
that denver game was some serious bs. thunder didn't deserve the win. on the bright side though denver is looking good, hopefully they can win this series.
also nene is a beast

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Am I the only one who's surprised with how well all of the lower seeds have been playing? If you think about it almost every lower seeded team either came close to winning or actually won.

Jane

Smash Hero
^seriously yo. like wow... im falling in love with the nba right now hahaha. i gotta give a lot of thanks to this thread.

and yeah i hope the nugs can pull through. and yes, nene is that dude!!

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Yeah, if LA doesn't win the title, the next two teams in line I'd like to see win is Dallas and Nuggets. Dallas, because I was born and raised there, and Nuggets because I love George Karl and what he stands for.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
lmao, guys, nobody should be surprised by the close games. Everyone in the West is like a 50 win team, and the East has teams with raw talent/scorers.

Bulls/Pacers: D Rose was MVP status against a strong showing offensively from the Pacers. Not much looks good for Indiana though now. They can't play any better if you ask me, and Boozer was a no show. This looks like a sweep.

Heat/76ers: Heat did what they should, but the Sixers showed they've got the talent to test a weak inside Heat team. This series could be interesting still, but I've got the Heat in 5.

Celtics/Knicks: Knicks are so much better than they show, but Boston is unstoppable when Rondo is hitting shots. Knicks could win both at home. Hell, they could win all 3 and make this a 7 game series. That'd be great.

Magic/Hawks: I can't think that Orlando will shoot that badly again, but more importantly, I can't imagine the Hawks hitting that many shots. Magic played poorly, but take away 5 of those unbelievably hot shots, they win. I still have the Magic winning, and they could do it big with 4 in a row.

Spurs/Grizzlies: No johns, we lost. Tony Parker shot awfully, and that's when we really missed part of the Big 3. Manu aside, Memphis played solid basketball, and won it in the end. They're a fantastic ball club, but we're more talented, and we'll win this in 6 after they win Game 4.

Lakers/Hornets: Same for them, no johns. Lakers lost to a strong Hornets team. Bynum and Gasol met a couple of legitimate post defenders like Okafor, and CP3 killed the Lakers D with Gasol getting left on an island(a la Phoenix against us last year). Lakers are better than they played, but they've gotta' win 4 out of 6 against a team that flat out beat them in all aspects. I have Lakers in 7.

Mavericks/Blazers: Mavs closed it strong, but Blazers showed they're able to play with them. Dallas will win this in either 5 or 6 in my opinion now. (Despite what I said before. XD)

Thunder/Nuggets: I hate people saying a team got robbed. The game was close, and OKC led most of the 4th. If the Nuggets didn't want this to happen, don't blow the early double digit lead. Despite that, Nuggets are very good, and Nene is proving why he was the only player to stay in Denver as long as Melo had. Thunder will win this in 5 or 6, since they'll only get stronger as they get more experience. I love George Karl as a coach though.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Every call is magnified during the last moments of a game. It's painful if a call is missed like the obvious offensive interference (there's not even a debate on that) when Ibaka tipped it in. That completely changed the tide of the game. I'm surprised those kinda calls aren't reviewable in the last two minutes of the game like 3 pointers and out of bounds.

However, it's even MORE painful if the refs are showing inconsistencies. You look at the end of the Boston game, and Melo gets called for an offensive foul for trying to post up Pierce. Okay, fair enough, there was some pushing going on. Ensuing possession, KG sticks his leg out on an illegal screen and trips up Douglas, but no call. That's inconsistency right there, and it just blows my mind how refs can swallow their whistles like that.

Here's another interesting stat I found: Phili had 10 more fg attempts inside the paint compared to Miami, and Miami finished with a 39-15 advantage on the charity stripe. I know a lot of that was LBJ barreling his way down, but that's just mind blowing how Phili could not get a call inside. Since when did Big Z and Joel Anthony become the ultimate defensive bigs that don't foul?

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
I agree, but I'm still an old fan of "don't put yourself in that position". :(
.4 seconds comes to mind. :p

But refs always show inconsistencies. They're still great on the whole. D fish gets away with running through screens that Hornets didn't. :D

Oh, and what I meant to mention before: Hornets only had 3 turnovers. That ties the NBA playoff record. lol

That Heat stat is pretty questionable though. XD

LAW2222

Smash Journeyman
^true, reffing goes both ways sometimes and it's unfortunate
I spent pretty much all weekend watching basketball and I am now in love with the playoffs. Almost everyone has elevated their game and the superstars have had some monstrous games which is always fun to see. Also it's great to see the lower seeds putting up a good fight, makes it so much more fun to root for the underdogs when they actually have a chance

looking forward to the bulls tomorrow. I missed d-rose on saturday so I gotta see him in action

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
Right now, he's magic on the floor. Dude is a freakish athlete and has outstanding body control.

The NBA playoffs are the greatest 2 months in sports.

LAW2222

Smash Journeyman
Right now, he's magic on the floor. Dude is a freakish athlete and has outstanding body control.

The NBA playoffs are the greatest 2 months in sports.
I saw the highlights of saturdays game, rose is insane
I can pretty much agree with that, except maybe when the olympics come around. Nothing is more epic than the whole world showing up with their top athletes to compete

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
I agree that the 1st game to open up the playoffs in each series has been very entertaining and interesting. I've never witnessed an opening round start off as good as this one has, and to think there is so much more basketball left to be played!

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
As bad as it would be I'd personally be pretty entertained to watch the Grizzlies upset the Spurs.

Most likely won't happen... But a guy can dream.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
It's kind of funny, cause since this format, the team to win Game 1 has a 75% chance of winning the series. So ideally, that puts Orlando, LA, SA, and if you think Portland is the favorite, then them in a hole. If those percentages ring true, only one team would come out alive.

But I do think this is different scenario as everyone said, it's definitely more competitive. It can go both ways for almost every game.

Edit: Randolph just got a 4 year, 71 million extension. 66 million guaranteed, and fourth year is player option. And this is why NBA franchises are losing money LOL.

2nd Edit: Random awards. Scroll down to "Best Thespian". http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/27305/idea-machine-cranks-out-new-nba-awards

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
First playoff blowout coming up?

76's offense is terrible atm though... And the Big 3 are destroying their defense atm.

EDIT: I never thought Bosh would be having some of his best games in the playoffs. Hopefully it will give him confidence he needs in the 2nd round against the meany greenies.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Phili doesn't have a true playmaker or true go to guy that almost every playoff team has. It's like watching a super crappy version of the 04 Pistons.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I honestly thought they would come out with more fight than the 1st game... I was expecting competition.

That win didn't feel good at all. 76'ers are just showing how bad the East is. -.-

Hopefully the Pacers will make things interesting against Chicago.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I would love to see the Pacers win tonight and make all of the Bull nut huggers shut up about Chicago being "invincible."

And yes I have seen Bulls fans that have said that their team is "invincible" and the team to beat despite the fact that the Bulls still haven't done anything besides have a good regular season so far.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
You could substitute Miami in place for most of that (other then maybe the invincible part) and it would still make sense.

Out of the east though I still think, as a Boston fan, that Chicago IS the team to beat.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Well we've seen teams struggle in the playoffs only to come out of their conference. It was only a few years ago that Boston went 7 games with a scrappy ATL team in the first round. Chicago is a blank slate as far as playoff success goes. We'll know more by Game 3 in my opinion.

And seriously, Rose's defense is garbage lol.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I understand that Heat fans can get annoying at times but the sheer amount of bandwagon Bulls fans that act like they already have the playoffs wrapped up is overwhelming when you go on other NBA forums.

**** it Pacers had a good sized lead and blew it. :mad:

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Well in order, I would say the top 3 bandwagoner fans in the NBA are...

1. Lakers
2. Heat
3. Boston

I see Bulls bandwagoners often, but it doesn't beat the 3 I listed.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
The reason I say those three franchises are the top 3 in bandwagoners is because of overall fan base. LA and Boston have always had the biggest fan bases in the NBA. When success came, so did the bandwagoners. Heat have two of the top 10 most popular players in the NBA in LBJ and Wade. Just by being a fan of those guys, you are following that team, and therefore, there was a surge in bandwagoners when LBJ came over to Miami. Then you count the media and success they've had...well it becomes self-explanatory.

I would put Chicago at 4. A lot of people are indeed on the Rose bandwagon, but you don't see many fans of the Bulls outside of Chicago compared to the other teams I listed.

God, I love Deng so much. Gotta love the hustle and emotion from a guy like that. Two straight games where he's shown that passion.

And Rose with that killer instinct. You know he's gonna put his team on his back and make the right shot or pass.

Jane

Smash Hero
BOOZER BABY!!

also... i guess i'm a bandwagoner? lol. i think that terms dumb though. i mean if youre not from the city youre more than likely a bandwagoner right? hah

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
BOOZER BABY!!

also... i guess i'm a bandwagoner? lol. i think that terms dumb though. i mean if youre not from the city youre more than likely a bandwagoner right? hah
Not necessarily I'm from Atlanta and I've NEVER liked the Hawks. Garbage fans and a team I've never been very fond of at all.

I think at first when you start liking a new team you can be labeled as a "bandwagoner" but after a while when you gain respect from your peers and show some real dedication to your team that label can be diminished.

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
Cleveland, Ohio! my homeplace but for now living i
does it matter every team has some redeeming quality we like about them

i aint gonna lie i like that rose can put the team on his back while still keeping them involved at a high level. plus i like that he brings a inside post game. watching the cavs shoot outside for three years will do that to you (especially this season)

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I hate Boozer so much. Him and Amare are notorious for doing the "GIMME THAT" rebounds when no one is around them LOL. Those dudes disappear if they are in a crowd.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
Yeah, I'm the same Jane, I hate the term.

I had posted something about it a while back when someone asked about bandwagon sports teams in the pool room. Lemme' see if I can find it. lol

Edit: Apparently, the Pool Room has been cleaned up, so the thread's long gone. XD

Basically though, bandwagon is a stupid term. It's especially useless against sports fans. I enjoy BASKETBALL, and all it's players. I can hype whoever I want. :p

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I can't agree with you on that Maaan. I can't stand LA fans who can't stick with their team through thick and thin. The fact that my first season watching the majority of LA's games was the year after they disbanded Shaq and Kobe was pretty painful. Then I had to watch the two seasons after, blowing a 3-1 series lead to Phoenix, and what not. Then Gasol comes over, and now there are these "fans" that were never there in the first place. What's gonna happen to them when Kobe retires, Gasol is old, and if they don't land a big name? They are probably going to wither away.

The same thing is going to happen when my 49ers get back to the golden days.

Ya, Boozer can definitely be annoying. It's comical at first, but then you're just like -_-

Jane

Smash Hero
lol, boozer is a boss yall trippin.

but maan, im so glad you agree haha... like this idea that people have in their head "if you dont stick to one team, youre a bandwagoner"

but whatever, skaters gonna skate.

Top Bottom